Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 26th September 2014, 04:56   #16
BHPian

Default Re: 'BEAT'-ing the Drizzle at Munnar and Palakkad

Lovely travelogue and beautiful pics. Enjoyed every bit of it. You really have good writing skills. Kerala and Munnar are always charming. Once I am filled with vitamin "M", even I would go the Kerala way.
JoseVijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2014, 11:02   #17
Senior - BHPian

Love the way you have added humour to your detailed travelogue. Like others mentioned, this is an excellent write up.
S2!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2014, 17:38   #18
BHPian

Nice TL. Thanks for sharing. You have visited couple of good places. Felt great reading your report for I haven't personally been there.

I couldn't stop laughing when I saw a pothole near the walayar checkpost. I will have to deal with a lot of those in the coming days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Knowledge that isn't shared is useless
+1 to this.
voyageur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2014, 17:50   #19
BHPian

Awesome travelogue Hart-BEAT.
Supplemented with equally awesome captures too.

Top station in Munnar is the best part of Munnar in my opinion. The drive oozes out the beauty of nature.
The best part of the greenery in Kerala is that even if you visit these places in mid summer heat, it will still be green. Only the shades will be a tad faded.
The other green parts of the country will turn brown by then.

Wish you many many more miles
dhanushmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2014, 14:26   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Great travelogue, especially the photographs. By the way the rope in Malapuzha is still operational?
Dear Max,

Thanks for the feedback. Alas, as on 28th August, when we visited Malampuzha, the rope way was still out of commission. I did hear some noises in the machine shed that sounded like the engine being tested and some hammering. So may be they are in the processing of completing the repair/overhaul. Nevertheless, Let me connect you to a 'Malampuzha frequenter'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Moved here about 5 years back and have totally fallen in love with this small town!!
Dear Mallumowgli,

Need your help for Max's query. Have you heard/seen yourself the Malampuzha rope way coming back into service? It was down when I visited at end August. Thanks!
Hart-BEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2014, 20:44   #21
BHPian

Hart-BEAT ... Kudos for such crisp travelogue - planning & execution as well as writeup!!!
And yeah .. snaps are amazing!

Mission well accomplished.
deepv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2014, 19:20   #22
BHPian

Thanks Dhanush for your feedback. Agreed with your conclusion on Top station, it indeed is the best. Also, I was wondering whether the lush greenery of the place was due to the rainy season or is it perennial. Thanks for confirming the later. That makes Munnar an awesome destination around the year. Cheers!
Old 28th September 2014, 22:57   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
By the way the rope in Malapuzha is still operational?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart-BEAT View Post
Have you heard/seen yourself the Malampuzha rope way coming back into service? It was down when I visited at end August. Thanks!
Operational. But may have been closed for the rains

btw, I hardly enter Malampuzha gardens - destination generally are the forests behind the reservoir
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2014, 13:38   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Operational. But may have been closed for the rains

btw, I hardly enter Malampuzha gardens - destination generally are the forests behind the reservoir
Thanks Mallumowgli for the info as few of my buddies are also planning a trip to Palakkad. Regarding the forest destinations behind the Malampuzha dam; is there any specific place that is visit-worthy? Is it marked on any maps? Please let me know. Thanks in advance for the info.
Old 13th October 2014, 19:30   #25

Hart-BEAT - Thanks for lovely picture and detailed review. From the submission I can see its better to take the Theni route, I am driving this route in weekend in a sedan what time can I expect to reach Munnar if I leave Bangalore at 6am?
geeyadav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2014, 10:10   #26
BHPian

Dear Geeayadav,

Thanks for your feedback. Theni route is the right choice if you are directly going to Munnar from Bangalore. I was forced to take Pollachi-Udumalpet route as I was travelling to Munnar from Palakkad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeyadav View Post
what time can I expect to reach Munnar if I leave Bangalore at 6am?
Hmm...tough question as when I was driving on the Theni route while returning to Bangalore, it took me a whooping 12 hours. Nevertheless, this was due to huge pileups at Salem and Krishnagiri. These pileups were purely seasonal as a long, festive weekend was coming to an end. Further contributing to the transit time is my reluctance of exceeding 100 kmph. So factoring these two out, upon leaving at 6:00 AM, you can target Munnar by 04:00 PM.

Enjoy the drive and Munnar! Let us know at team BHP how it goes.

PS: Be advised that toll booth queue on a weekend may get quiet long even as early as 6:00 AM.

PPS: Be advised once you leave the plains after crossing Bodinayakanur, apart from facing a climbing gradient, the quality of the hill road sharply plummets and have same very bad patches. The situation recovers only when one crosses Pooppara.
Old 14th October 2014, 12:59   #27
BHPian

Very nice Review!

Awesome pictures!

I too plan a trip to Munnar from Hyderabad in the coming Christmas holidays. Looking at your travelogue, I think, Bangalore to Munnar road is butter smooth.

Thanks, Heart-Beat!
Keralite is offline   Reply With Quote