Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 6th October 2014, 13:40   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Ka gets Leh'd and beyond - On a KTM Duke 390

unk9ja, Hats off to you sir for undertaking this wonderful journey and sharing minutest of details. It surely is going to be invaluable for someone who plans to take this journey on two wheels for sure.
Haque is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2014, 18:37   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkovuri View Post
Seems like in the gear, you have missed describing the helmet and gloves. I am in a phase now investigating a good pair of gloves.
Yes mkovuri, I missed out on the helmet, but not the gloves, because I did a mistake of not picking it up at the start. Came to know about it when we started from Davangere after breakfast. First day, I rode without one. From second onwards, I had a couple of cotton gloves which I had taken for any roadside maintenance which may dirty our hands. This gloves wore out and had holes on the middle finger of both. Then I used the second pair. Lost one of the first pair in Panipat before the second was commissioned. So this is the gloves story.

The helmet is an AGV picked from one of known friends when he put it up of sale about 6 months ago. I paid 4500INR for it. Since I have an AGV as a daily ride one, it was not special except for the garish graphics. A good friend of mine and fellow bhpian, parthasarathig gave me some rainx which gave us respite form the rains on the visor. A beautiful product, the rain would form beads and would just move away at the turn of the head.That helped us beat the rain through the ride.
unk9ja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 05:13   #63
BHPian

What a conclusion to a great travelogue with the "GYAN". Your last post (reliving some memories) is heart touching Bro. Many points have been raised by you with regard to our daily life. A great comparison with your journey and life. Thanks for the thoughts and learning Bro.
JoseVijay is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 12:15   #64
BHPian

Dear unk9ja,

Congrats on the trip and thanks for putting up your experiences on TBHP, especially liked your 'rounding up' message.

Regarding your clothes getting wet even with rain covers, I want to share my experience in how to rainproof your clothes or other items. I have Cramster Stallion saddle bags for my Bullet, I got these for a long trip in Dec'2009. I had packed all my clothes in separate good quality plastic bags (duty free shopping types, good store saree bags are also enough), all T-shirts in one, socks in one, etc., and also 2 slightly flimsy plastic ones for each good plastic one, the used clothes went into the flimsy ones. This setup was completely water proof in 2 days of heavy rains. This completely negates need of rain cover or anything else.
Hope this helps other tourers.

Btw my Cramster jacket and saddle bags are holding up great since 2009, need to replace my gloves.

Regards,
Veera
veerameti is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 14:09   #65
Senior - BHPian

Finally finished reading your travelogue, thanks for making me relieve some of the moments of my trip as well. And hats off for pulling this off. I was also impressed with the timings you were able maintain everyday, especially with the early morning starts.
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 17:25   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veerameti View Post
Dear unk9ja,

Congrats on the trip and thanks for putting up your experiences on TBHP, especially liked your 'rounding up' message.

Regarding your clothes getting wet even with rain covers, I want to share my experience in how to rainproof your clothes or other items. I have Cramster Stallion saddle bags for my Bullet, I got these for a long trip in Dec'2009. I had packed all my clothes in separate good quality plastic bags (duty free shopping types, good store saree bags are also enough), all T-shirts in one, socks in one, etc., and also 2 slightly flimsy plastic ones for each good plastic one, the used clothes went into the flimsy ones. This setup was completely water proof in 2 days of heavy rains. This completely negates need of rain cover or anything else.
Hope this helps other tourers.

Btw my Cramster jacket and saddle bags are holding up great since 2009, need to replace my gloves.

Regards,
Veera
The schedule went haywire due to the fuel can carrier issue and this ruined the preparations to certain extent. The rain covers were handy till the time they held up. The chord used to close the rain cover at the bottom failed and then onwards, it was hell. My intention to tell this is to get prepared for the worst however rosy the picture may look. All these rain proof/ water proof stays on paper and in real world it goes for a toss. Your preparation of clothes is excellent direction to the future tourers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Finally finished reading your travelogue, thanks for making me relieve some of the moments of my trip as well. And hats off for pulling this off. I was also impressed with the timings you were able maintain everyday, especially with the early morning starts.
Early starts had to happen no matter what motomaverick. My only worry was my colleague who was travelling for the first time this long and the bike, Apache would be no match for my Duke. I had made up my mind not to travel in dark from the beginning and this necessitated the early morning starts. Also the early morning mean the traffic would be thin and travel times could be lower.
unk9ja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 23:04   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Early starts had to happen no matter what motomaverick. My only worry was my colleague who was travelling for the first time this long and the bike, Apache would be no match for my Duke. I had made up my mind not to travel in dark from the beginning and this necessitated the early morning starts. Also the early morning mean the traffic would be thin and travel times could be lower.
Yeah so true infact early starts also ensure that our moral is high as we see a lot of distance being covered by afternoon. Let me know the next time you are planning such a trip I have got myself back to biking recently.
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2015, 14:02   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post

5. Saddle bag and tailpack

Saddle bag
Make: Rynox
Model: Nomad 2.1
Brought: 07-2014
Cost: 4699INR

Tailpack
Make: Dirtsack
Model: Harley Tailpack Pro
Brought: 07-2014
Cost: 2850INR + 525INR for the raincover
Great travelogue unk9ja! Mesmerizing pictures and write-up!

A couple of friends and I are planning to hit Ladakh this year - all 390s. We'll be transporting our bikes to Chandigarh and from Srinagar/Jammu (still figuring it out).

How did the Nomad and Dirtsack tailpack fare over the bad/no roads stretches (Tso Moriri, some stretches of K-Top and Chang La)?

I currently have a Viaterra Fly which I make do for rides between 2-5 days (super light traveler). I was recently gifted the Velox with an option to exchange it for the Nomad V2 (cheers OTG!) I was wondering whether I need the added space offered by the Nomad over the Velox. Also some people I've spoken to have mentioned that some sort of support is required to keep the Nomads in place as they have a tendency to get too close to the wheels for comfort. Confused whether to stick with the Velox or spend the extra 1.5K and get the Nomad

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
KaushikN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2015, 17:17   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaushikN View Post
A couple of friends and I are planning to hit Ladakh this year - all 390s. We'll be transporting our bikes to Chandigarh and from Srinagar/Jammu (still figuring it out).

How did the Nomad and Dirtsack tailpack fare over the bad/no roads stretches (Tso Moriri, some stretches of K-Top and Chang La)?
Thanks for the compliments, KaushikN.

The Nomad has plenty of room for knick knacks that can be carried during the travel. This was tied to the footpegs and had the footpeg bracket as a support to it. So it did not go in the vicinity of the wheels any time during the travel. All heavy items like spares, tools (I carried a full set of combination spanners, ie open end on one side and ring on the other from 6mm to 32mm), long ball type allen key set, oil and coolant for one service, toiletries, fasteners for emergency in this. You need to balance the weight in the saddle bags to have a smooth ride or the rear end will snatch away on turns. The rain covers however are a big disappointment getting shredded wherever it touches. At the end of ride, the place where it touched the footpegs had scuff marks due to rubbing otherwise it was just perfect for the ride. But it is expensive compared to other competition in the market.

The Dirtsack tailpack was a boon for the entire trip. This carried the clothing, documents in duplicate, finances and medicines. The tailpack was secured with bungee net in addition to the tie downs. This ensured that the bag did not yeild an inch on the roughest part. This also doubles as a backrest. The raincover that comes along with this is nonsense. It has a flimsy locking arrangement and once this fails and in case of rain, there is no protection whatsoever for the belongings. And at 525INR inclusive of shipping it is a joke. A polythene cover would have offered a better protection. So invest in a better rain cover in case you buy this.

In case of any more clarifications, let me know.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2015, 17:03   #70
BHPian

Truly inspirational stuff, the whole travelogue, and the last post in particular.

Splendid effort, driving a bike from Bangalore to Ladakh and back. Hearty congratulations on completing this epic journey.

Though I would like to know from you the reactions of your family members (other than your Mother's which you have detailed), on the epic trip.
deepfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2015, 18:17   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
Though I would like to know from you the reactions of your family members (other than your Mother's which you have detailed), on the epic trip.
Thanks for the compliments, deepfusion.

Family's reaction is as below:

50%: Well the reactions from my better half was go along with the first half. She has belief in my undertakings and supports ably. It was through her I could convince my mother who was hesitant initially. The only demand I got from her is atleast a couple of phone calls in a day wherever possible and keep her informed about my health. Till date she has never complained about me parting from her for my personal accomplishment.

Father: He ably supported along my wife and never tried to put me off. In the final days before I took off, he provided the support needed to my mother and consoled her in every way to enable me to take up this journey.

Son: He is the boss and always asked me what I wanted to do, where I would go and when he can accompany me. His questions always gave the answers which others in the family were looking for. Invariably he would pop up a question out of blue and always wanted the answer at that moment. When the route map from HVK landed, he was the one who explained it to others. Tiday, he is proud and always shows off in front of his friends.

And add my sister, brother in law, niece and specially nephew. My nephew works in Mysuru and visits us often and his words about the place, the terrain and all information through his IIN university proved to be crucial in getting a green flag. He had a couple of his friends who had been there and done that and their tales about this sealed everything on my side.

So I am deeply indebted to all my family members who stood by me in this ride.
unk9ja is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2015, 03:50   #72
BHPian

Wow Sir what an awesome travelogue this is. Probably is the bestest day of my night shift today reading this blog

I own a Duke 390 and planning to visit Leh in 2016 (Hopefully all goes well by then). The best part I feel is the breakup you have given. I now have a clear idea of the costs involved and will be ready for the same. Thanks again
akshayhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2015, 16:53   #73
Senior - BHPian

One of the best and the most daring Leh travelogue I have EVER seen.

Secondly, the distances and timings you covered during the days were car like.

I mean, when I went to Leh, I had similar timings in a car and I was drained by the end of the day, but you guys did this on bikes which stresses you out 10 times more.

Bravo. It's inspirational and even though I don't know how to ride a geared bike, your travelogue has made sure I learn and buy a Duke 390 soon.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2015, 11:46   #74

Hello BHPians,
I want your views on the following:

I am planning a trip to Leh this season. Though I would prefer a bullet, but the fact is that I don't have one. And I can't afford to shell out Rs.15K for just RENTING a bike.

SO, what I am left with is my PULSAR 200NS.

Will it handle the tough requirements of the terrain and the environment? (Many of you have been there before and might be able to visualize the scenario on Pulsar200NS).

I have had 2 trips of 1500km each (to and fro) before and the performance was good(no breakdowns or discomfort) but I am NOT sure if the bike will be able to handle Leh and beyond.

Please Help!

Last edited by mnautss : 23rd March 2015 at 12:08. Reason: rectified grammar error
mnautss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2015, 09:08   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnautss View Post
Hello BHPians,
I want your views on the following:

I am planning a trip to Leh this season. Though I would prefer a bullet, but the fact is that I don't have one. And I can't afford to shell out Rs.15K for just RENTING a bike.

SO, what I am left with is my PULSAR 200NS.

Will it handle the tough requirements of the terrain and the environment? (Many of you have been there before and might be able to visualize the scenario on Pulsar200NS).

I have had 2 trips of 1500km each (to and fro) before and the performance was good(no breakdowns or discomfort) but I am NOT sure if the bike will be able to handle Leh and beyond.

Please Help!
Totally OT, but I'll your queries anyway.

IMO the Pulsar200 NS is a very capable motorbike and can handle all terrains quite well. In fact a lot of bikers have got Leh'd on the NS. Please ensure the bike is in good condition and carry the necessary back-up spares mentioned by Uday Sir in this thread, just in case of a breakdown.

In fact, being light and nimble, the NS will behave better than bullets if you ask me. Just learn how to fiddle with the air-fuel mixture as you might need it at higher altitudes.
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote