Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2014, 01:12   #16
BHPian
 
s_pphilip's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Anjuna, Goa
Posts: 329
Thanked: 230 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Quick question - Do good train just slow down or they literally halt at falls for any moments? The reason I ask is - how difficult or easier it would be to hop on them for return journey with two little ones (2 & 8yrs)? As you mentioned, the passenger train stops only for a minute or so. Is it any easier on the goods trains?
If I am not wrong all trains stop on their downhill ride, mandatory for descending runs I believe, so if you intend to get there by train it may be better to get to castle rock and board a train from there to Dudhsagar. You may take a return ticket to and from Kulem which is the next official stop.

A suggestion is you may work out the trip in such a way you can return by the single evening train that officially halts at Dudhsagar, I guess Yeshwantpur express from Vasco, back to castle rock.

Though the locals make you believe that there are trains every half hour and that every goods train will happily allow you to board, it is far from the truth, some intervals have only 1 train passing by, in about 90 minutes and some goods trains flatly refuse hitchhikers saying it is illegal.

I am saying this because we had a bad experience for relying totally on what public at Castle Rock station told us, that completely ruined the charm of visiting the falls. There wasn't much information on the net about train rides and we weren't prepared for unfavorable scenarios.
Since I was responsible for planning this trip on behalf of my friends it took me a long time to gain their confidence again for such impromptu plans.

This was a repeat visit to Dudhsagar as we were mesmerized by the falls in our previous trip on those hired bikes from Kulem, couple of weeks earlier, and having experienced the most challenging & entertaining way to get to the foot of the falls, were of the opinion that the train ride will be routine.

What unfolded was a nightmare and I was lucky not to be stoned by my friends after the gruelling 5.5 hrs walk in incessant rains, back to our car at castle rock, without a morsel to eat or drop to drink, through those dark long tunnels and creepy dense surroundings, far away from the comfort of wayside hotels and cellphone network, not a soul in sight, even if it was just to reaffirm our existence.

Fortunately we went to Dudhsagar by train in the wee hours of the morning, to experience the rainbows, musical roar and sunlight caressing the morning mist, so at least light didn't desert us on our walk back.

Just to emphasize, what ever the experience shuffling between points, it cannot rob anything from the cascading white beauty and the surrounding milky mist, its just enchanting.

Someone later told me about some set up near Castle Rock station where they arrange organized trips with 'stay and food' to Dudhsagar with reasonable fees, going by how fed up my friends were that day, they would be have been willing to rent a copter or hummer just to get us back to our cars, so much that even after 3 years, a couple of friends have chosen to never venture beyond where a car or jeep can take them. Talk about some phobia.

That trip has become sort of a popular story among my friends and they use it judiciously whenever I plan other trips, to its credit it has given us countless moments of laughter, a comforting way to evade the memory of those short annoying steps in chappals and pain left by those blisters and cramps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Quick question - Do good train just slow down or they literally halt at falls for any moments? The reason I ask is - how difficult or easier it would be to hop on them for return journey with two little ones (2 & 8yrs)? As you mentioned, the passenger train stops only for a minute or so. Is it any easier on the goods trains?
Pardon me if this sounds offensive, but I would suggest that you should avoid the kids as it is exhausting though enthralling, or when the jeeps start from Kulem, take your kids then, you can do this trip by train, get to Dudhsagar by afternoon and return by evening passenger.

Don't rely on goods trains as your luck depends on the whims and fancies of those rail employees.

Most importantly please wear rugged but comfortable footwear, which is a basic mistake we did, that was the single reason that compounded into multiple reasons why we totally lost it.

And carry energy bars and adequate liquid as you may not get anything till to get back to base again.

I read my earlier post and realized it may send the wrong message, don't get me wrong, if unequipped this turns disastrous but with the right company and planning it can be a memorable pleasure trip.

Walking through that lush green cover exposed to eerie silence, interrupted by the cacophony of insects and gurgling water. Embracing the warmth of the sun when dwarfed by the dense foliage shroud, everything connecting with you somewhere deep within.

Last edited by DerAlte : 16th October 2014 at 13:40.
s_pphilip is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2014, 15:57   #17
BHPian
 
dhanushmenon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: KL-2/KL-7/AP-31
Posts: 856
Thanked: 2,337 Times
Default Re: All you need to know about Dudhsagar Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I have a question on the trekking option: which route offers a down-hill trek? That would be far easier, right?
Downhill trek is offered by the trek from Castle Rock.
Trekking through the rubble of track stones is hard anyway; be it uphill or down hill.
However, considering the gradient slopes of a railway track, uphill or down hill should not matter I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_vas View Post
Good details there dhanushmenon!

Couldn't resist from adding some quick info from our trip to Dudhsagar falls.
Thanks for adding your trip details here. Much appreciated.
Afterall, if this thread serves as the guide thread for all future Dudhsagar visits, I would be the happiest.

And lovely snaps. Especially the one inside the tunnel with rain water pouring from outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Awesome details!

Quick question - Do good train just slow down or they literally halt at falls for any moments? The reason I ask is - how difficult or easier it would be to hop on them for return journey with two little ones (2 & 8yrs)? As you mentioned, the passenger train stops only for a minute or so. Is it any easier on the goods trains?
Thanks again abirnale. (only that this is in another thread)
You do frequent the travelogue section, dont you?

The train does stop at the falls. But hardly only for a minute or so (the trains to castle rock side).
For hopping on the train in the return journey (to Kulem) shouldn't be much of a problem as the goods train stops for checking the brakes as I am given to understand, and this will give you enough time.
However, my predominant doubt is: "Are you planning to trek with kids aged 2 yrs and 8 yrs??"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_vas View Post
Avinash, a better option will be walk back to dudhsagar station from the falls. this would be roughly 1.5Kms. As all passenger/goods trains and engines stop for break checking it will be easy to get on one of them.
Dudhsagar falls station is adjacent to the falls itself. It is the view point which is around a kilometre down the track. It can be seen in the map which I have attached (I had highlighted it for the same purpose).

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_pphilip View Post
If I am not wrong all trains stop on their downhill ride, mandatory for descending runs I believe, so if you intend to get there by train it may be better to get to castle rock and board a train from there to Dudhsagar. You may take a return ticket to and from Kulem which is the next official stop.
That's correct. However, Castle Rock station is far off considering the travel distance to Kulem if you are visiting the falls from Goa side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_pphilip View Post
A suggestion is you may work out the trip in such a way you can return by the single evening train that officially halts at Dudhsagar, I guess Yeshwantpur express from Vasco, back to castle rock.
Another option is to plan the visit on a Tuesday or Saturday (IIRC)
On these days, there is a train which starts from Vasco at 0715 and reaches the falls at 0930.
There is a return train at 1100 which officially stops at the station. You can reach back Vasco in that train.
(This is as per the information which was given to me by the railway employee in the ticket counter at Kulem)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_pphilip View Post

Though the locals make you believe that there are trains every half hour and that every goods train will happily allow you to board, it is far from the truth, some intervals have only 1 train passing by, in about 90 minutes and some goods trains flatly refuse hitchhikers saying it is illegal.

I am saying this because we had a bad experience for relying totally on what public at Castle Rock station told us, that completely ruined the charm of visiting the falls. There wasn't much information on the net about train rides and we weren't prepared for unfavorable scenarios.
Since I was responsible for planning this trip on behalf of my friends it took me a long time to gain their confidence again for such impromptu plans.

This was a repeat visit to Dudhsagar as we were mesmerized by the falls in our previous trip on those hired bikes from Kulem, couple of weeks earlier, and having experienced the most challenging & entertaining way to get to the foot of the falls, were of the opinion that the train ride will be routine.

What unfolded was a nightmare and I was lucky not to be stoned by my friends after the gruelling 5.5 hrs walk in incessant rains, back to our car at castle rock, without a morsel to eat or drop to drink, through those dark long tunnels and creepy dense surroundings, far away from the comfort of wayside hotels and cellphone network, not a soul in sight, even if it was just to reaffirm our existence.

Fortunately we went to Dudhsagar by train in the wee hours of the morning, to experience the rainbows, musical roar and sunlight caressing the morning mist, so at least light didn't desert us on our walk back.

Just to emphasize, what ever the experience shuffling between points, it cannot rob anything from the cascading white beauty and the surrounding milky mist, its just enchanting.

Someone later told me about some set up near Castle Rock station where they arrange organized trips with 'stay and food' to Dudhsagar with reasonable fees, going by how fed up my friends were that day, they would be have been willing to rent a copter or hummer just to get us back to our cars, so much that even after 3 years, a couple of friends have chosen to never venture beyond where a car or jeep can take them. Talk about some phobia.
Thanks for sharing your experience here Philip.
Would be of great use to others who might venture in future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_pphilip View Post
I would suggest that you should avoid the kids as it is exhausting though enthralling, or when the jeeps start from Kulem, take your kids then, you can do this trip by train, get to Dudhsagar by afternoon and return by evening passenger.

Walking through that lush green cover exposed to eerie silence, interrupted by the cacophony of insects and gurgling water. Embracing the warmth of the sun when dwarfed by the dense foliage shroud, everything connecting with you somewhere deep within.
Very valid point there Philip.
Hope that clears any ambiguity if it had existed.

Mod Note: Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 19th October 2014 at 12:05.
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2014, 22:21   #18
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: BENGALURU
Posts: 14
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: All you need to know about Dudhsagar Falls

I had been to Dudhsagar on 02/10 this year. It is important to reach Kulem early if one decides to trek upto the water falls along the bike trail crossing 2 streams and slushy terrain. It takes about 3.5 hours to trek to the base of the falls that is 10 kms from Kulem. It is a further 2 kms to reach the train station through a very steep incline that needs some energy levels after trekking till the base. That day, me and my friend were the only 2 guys who were trekking while the rest of the visitors rode pillion on the bikes available from Kulem station. The pilots usually charge between 500-650 per person; however during long weekends they command a premium upto twice this sum. We started at 8.00 am from Kulem and reached the base of the falls by 11.30 am. It took another 1 hour to reach the station from the base of the falls. Knowing well that food is not available till the falls, we had a very hearty breakfast at Savordem before reaching Kulem. At the falls, there is a shack that sells vada pao, cool drinks, water, chips etc.

On Thursdays, Amravati Express stops at Dudhsagar station at 1.30 pm. We took this train back to reach Kulem. All it took was 30 mins to reach back to Kulem .

Trekking along the train tracks is less exciting compared to the trek along the bike trail. This trek is certainly not for children as it is very taxing and the terrain is not at all friendly. Though the trail is through the forests (Bhagwan Mahavir Santuary), the weather is very humid and you need to carry enough water to keep you hydrated. Beware of leaches while crossing the streams as they usually latch on while crossing the stream when you kick off your shoes and raise the trousers/jeans to prevent them from getting wet.
BlrGuy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2014, 23:04   #19
BHPian
 
voyageur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 344
Thanked: 603 Times
Default Re: All you need to know about Dudhsagar Falls

Dhanush,

I think you have covered everything required for one to visit the falls. I would definitely be referring to it when I am visiting.

Nice snaps too. I would definitely want to be part of that bike ride.

Thanks to the others for sharing their set of snaps.

Cheers!!!
voyageur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2014, 09:26   #20
BHPian
 
dhanushmenon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: KL-2/KL-7/AP-31
Posts: 856
Thanked: 2,337 Times
Default Re: All you need to know about Dudhsagar Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlrGuy View Post
I had been to Dudhsagar on 02/10 this year.

The pilots usually charge between 500-650 per person; however during long weekends they command a premium upto twice this sum.
I visited on 05 Oct 14, a few days after your visit.
As you have said, the rates of the motor bike ride up to the falls were running at Rs 1500/- per head

The official rate from the office was Rs 750/-. However, the office closed at 1200 hrs (planned?).
After that, it was all as per the whims and fancies of the pilots.
The rates then came down to Rs 800/- close to 1600 hrs when it was nearing time for the train to the falls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlrGuy View Post
On Thursdays, Amravati Express stops at Dudhsagar station at 1.30 pm. We took this train back to reach Kulem. All it took was 30 mins to reach back to Kulem .
Ok. So, it is Thursdays eh?
I thought it was on Tuesdays. My bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur View Post
Dhanush,

I think you have covered everything required for one to visit the falls. I would definitely be referring to it when I am visiting.

Nice snaps too. I would definitely want to be part of that bike ride.

Thanks to the others for sharing their set of snaps.

Cheers!!!
Thanks voyageur for your kind words.
Glad you liked it, though this thread is more of information based rather than photography based.
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2014, 19:07   #21
BHPian
 
voyageur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 344
Thanked: 603 Times
Default Re: All you need to know about Dudhsagar Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post

Thanks voyageur for your kind words.
Glad you liked it, though this thread is more of information based rather than photography based.
Of course, it has all the necessary info needed. I would definitely read this and if anything more ping you for any help needed if I am doing a trip to dudhsagar. Also you are just a call away so not much of an issue.

I think we bhpians of kerala should have a meet outside the state. Hope it happens in future.

Cheers.
voyageur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2014, 13:38   #22
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Quilon/Cochin
Posts: 8
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: All you need to know about Dudhsagar Falls

Excellent travelogue dhanushmenon.
I was lucky to catch a glimpse of Dudhsagar waterfalls this August, from onboard the Pune-Ernakulam Poorna Express.(The train which passes through Dudhsagar on Sundays by 1100). At CastleRock, a huge crowd of tourists bound to Dudhsagar boarded all the compartments, including AC coaches, occupying the aisle and the doorway. Somehow managed to get a good spot near the door, caught a glimpse of the marvelous waterfalls for a short span of 3 seconds, and managed to click this one:
Attached Thumbnails
All you need to know about Dudhsagar Falls-dudhsagar.jpg  

wanderlust09 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2015, 11:30   #23
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,811
Thanked: 4,743 Times
Default Re: All you need to know about Dudhsagar Falls

Any feedback/experience with Dudhsagar Spa Resort (Azuska) ?
Can one plan to stay there and visit/trek to Dudhsagar falls ?
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2015, 14:44   #24
BHPian
 
dhanushmenon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: KL-2/KL-7/AP-31
Posts: 856
Thanked: 2,337 Times
Default Re: All you need to know about Dudhsagar Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Any feedback/experience with Dudhsagar Spa Resort (Azuska) ?
Can one plan to stay there and visit/trek to Dudhsagar falls ?
Sorry NPV. I have no idea about it.
Since it was a one day affair when I was holed up in Goa, I actually did not venture to find out places to stay near by.
dhanushmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2015, 16:21   #25
Distinguished - BHPian
 
mpksuhas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KA03/KL11
Posts: 2,700
Thanked: 3,270 Times
Default Re: All you need to know about Dudhsagar Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Any feedback/experience with Dudhsagar Spa Resort (Azuska) ?
Can one plan to stay there and visit/trek to Dudhsagar falls ?
NPV, this is located next to Goa RTO check post. I had stopped there for lunch couple of times during Goa trip last year. It is a big property, however felt the food and service was below par.

However, there are no other proper stay options from here till Hubli. In that sense it is the best option to stay if planning Dudhsagar. You can either drive down to Castle rock station or take the path mentioned as 'Dudhsagar walking trail' here or catch train from Kullem station as mentioned at start of this travelogue.

HVK fans forum had a stay / stop over here I guess last year or so during their yearly monsoon meet. Though I was not part of the same, I remember many members mentioning good reviews about the resort.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2015, 18:47   #26
BHPian
 
lucifer1881's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 290
Thanked: 709 Times
Default Re: All you need to know about Dudhsagar Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
9. There are no good family restaurants at Kulem. Even a shady place will charge you beyond reasonability as compared to their facilities.
A bit late in the day but the above statement is not correct. I visited Dudhsagar via Kulem in 2011 August. A hearty lunch for the wife and I set us back Rs. 175/- only. Yes, 175. Not 1,750. That might have gone up to Rs. 250 or Rs. 300.

The brilliance of Goa is that it suits every pocket. And you can still wrap up a meal for two under Rs. 500. More so during monsoons when the tourists are less.

Read up on my experience for details: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2499485 (Goa; been there, done that).
lucifer1881 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2015, 19:35   #27
BHPian
 
dhanushmenon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: KL-2/KL-7/AP-31
Posts: 856
Thanked: 2,337 Times
Default Re: All you need to know about Dudhsagar Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881 View Post
A bit late in the day but the above statement is not correct. I visited Dudhsagar via Kulem in 2011 August. A hearty lunch for the wife and I set us back Rs. 175/- only. Yes, 175. Not 1,750. That might have gone up to Rs. 250 or Rs. 300.
Thanks lucifer1881. Would you kindly share the location of the hotel here for the benefit of all who would want to venture in future? A good family friendly hotel seemed to be the only glitch in the entire scheme. Your hotel suggestion would be of great help for a wrinkle free holidays of future
dhanushmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2015, 19:46   #28
BHPian
 
lucifer1881's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 290
Thanked: 709 Times
Default Re: All you need to know about Dudhsagar Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
Thanks lucifer1881. Would you kindly share the location of the hotel here for the benefit of all who would want to venture in future? A good family friendly hotel seemed to be the only glitch in the entire scheme. Your hotel suggestion would be of great help for a wrinkle free holidays of future
Unfortunately, I don't quite remember the place. It has been over four years. It is one of the many messes located along the Kulem-Mollem road. And in Goa, every place is family friendly.
lucifer1881 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2015, 20:29   #29
BHPian
 
sumannandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 690
Thanked: 208 Times
Default Re: All you need to know about Dudhsagar Falls

I have driven to Dudhsagar in a 4wd gypsy. It was first time for me. Three of us. It was not bad. Enroute there were two river crossings. I had no idea how to engage 4wd in gypsy, so I put the lever to 4H but did not get down to manually engage it, so I guess it was still on 2wd. The gypsy crossed the rivers with ease.

The gypsy was rented but white board. yellow board vehicles are not allowed by local taxi union. It was a self drive rental.

It was a good experience overall. You can take your high ground clearance vehicles there. The stones in the river are nothing that could get your vehicle stuck. Its no North India river crossing, may be small pebbles. Height of water you have to check. We reached there morning, and were out by afternoon.

The track is narrow. There is high growth in the middle. It was a cakewalk for the gypsy. Incline was steep at a number of places.

I guess if ford ecosport has high ground clearance and with the claimed water wading capability, it should be able to go there comfortably. Not sure about bigger SUVs, as the trail is narrow at places.

Last edited by sumannandy : 10th March 2015 at 20:34.
sumannandy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2015, 15:54   #30
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 200
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Re: All you need to know about Dudhsagar Falls

Hi,
I am planning to trek from Castlerock to Dudhsagar sometime in July. Which is the best route from the NH4 to Castlerock (staying at Whistling Thrush Homestay)? Google maps gave me this: https://goo.gl/maps/tP47Y
Is there a better route with regard to road conditions?
I was told that I can park my car at Castlerock station and trek to the falls. Take the 5PM or so train to come back to Castlerock. Wanted to know if parking at Castlerock is safe.

Thanks!
NMA
nma83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Run-Flat Tyres : All you need to know Akshay1234 Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 70 30th April 2017 13:47
'Xing'ing around ! - Trainspotting at Dudhsagar. hotstuff Travelogues 27 11th July 2012 17:19
The 2012 Budget & the Indian Car Scene : All you need to know GTO The Indian Car Scene 102 13th April 2012 11:27
Dudhsagar: Riding through hellish roads to see heavenly beauty motorpsycho Travelogues 24 19th September 2009 09:09
All you need to know about honda D series headers.. nitroxx Modifications & Accessories 7 10th March 2007 13:08


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:45.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks