Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 17th October 2014, 20:25   #1
BHPian

Default Pilgrimage: Thirukarugavur, Thanjavur, Pillayarpatti & Madurai

Life sucks.

I felt defeated. I felt cheated. I have a right to have important plans go my way, at least once.

"Never before did I feel that simply staying alive involved so much work."

And a good friend replied, "Give more time to things you like rather than things that you do not like." Thanks buddy.

And thus my meditation, my love, the thing I like to do the most, going for a drive with people whom I enjoy being with, happened. It didn't matter where I went or why I went, as long as I was doing the driving.

My mom came up with a rough plan. She wanted to take my 6-month-old niece to a temple, Thirukarugavur Garbharakshambikai near Thanjavur. We threw in Thanjavur Brihadeshwar (Big) Temple, Pillayarpatti Karpaga Vinayakar Temple, and Madurai Meenakshi Temple, and voila, the plan was made.
Name:  Map.jpg
Views: 13553
Size:  181.7 KB

The major pre-trip preparation was getting the car checked up and fixing a pair of fog lights because I was a bit apprehensive about Cyclone Hudhud and associated bad weather. Turned out, it became useful in another way and Hudhud had no effect on our trip.
Pilgrimage: Thirukarugavur, Thanjavur, Pillayarpatti & Madurai-20141009_122813.jpg
Pilgrimage: Thirukarugavur, Thanjavur, Pillayarpatti & Madurai-20141009_123314.jpg
darklord is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2014, 00:21   #2
BHPian

Default re: Pilgrimage: Thirukarugavur, Thanjavur, Pillayarpatti & Madurai

Day 1: Attingal-Kilimanoor-Kadakkal-Rajapalayam-Melur-Trichy-Tanjavur, ~450 km.

We left our town limits about an hour and a quarter behind schedule, around 8:15 a.m. The car was loaded to the brim with five adults and an infant, but the person whose comfort we were all worried about was enjoying the trip the most. We stopped for breakfast at Vazhiyorakada near Kilimanoor (8.786335, 76.883622). The idiyappam and veg kuruma that we ordered were rather bland (tip: order non-veg dishes for breakfast, they specialize in that). They had clean bathrooms and premises, also had a fairly big parking space along the roadside. Also had prompt and friendly service.
Pilgrimage: Thirukarugavur, Thanjavur, Pillayarpatti & Madurai-breakfast.jpg

The road was okay and traffic diminished once we were off the MC Road and turned into Kadakkal-Kulathupuzha-Thenmala road.
Pilgrimage: Thirukarugavur, Thanjavur, Pillayarpatti & Madurai-road.jpg

Nearing Thenmala, we took a small detour along Thenmala Saddle Dam (8.946832, 77.064066) to enjoy the scenery and for feeding the baby. She has just begun solid foods and is rather adamant to try out various dishes .
Pilgrimage: Thirukarugavur, Thanjavur, Pillayarpatti & Madurai-saddle.jpg
Pilgrimage: Thirukarugavur, Thanjavur, Pillayarpatti & Madurai-dsc09445.jpg

That car is coming from the Thenmala side of Kulathupuzha-Thenmala road.
Pilgrimage: Thirukarugavur, Thanjavur, Pillayarpatti & Madurai-dsc09431.jpg

What I assume is a Magpie Robin:
Pilgrimage: Thirukarugavur, Thanjavur, Pillayarpatti & Madurai-dsc09449.jpg

The weather was cloudy with slight drizzle here and there.
Pilgrimage: Thirukarugavur, Thanjavur, Pillayarpatti & Madurai-dsc09450.jpg

We continued our journey after a brief break. Somewhere near Thenmala, Kerala Highway Patrol flagged us down. Just as we were slowing down to pull over, the cops saw the ladies and the baby and waved us on. The detour (~4 km drive + ~0.5 km walk) to Palaruvi Waterfalls (8.941669, 77.162935) was enroute and this was probably the best season to visit, but we were short on time and hence moved on. A few kilometers later, at Aryankavu, we crossed over Kerala-TN state border and entered Tamil Nadu.
darklord is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2014, 23:41   #3
BHPian

We were somewhat apprehensive, given the political scenario in Tamil Nadu, that there will be stringent checks at the border checkposts. So it came as a pleasant surprise that nobody even stopped us. It was somewhat ironic that our next encounter with the police happened at Kerala Police checkpost while we were reentering Kerala.

The hustle and bustle of Kerala roads soon gave way to rather empty TN roads:
Pilgrimage: Thirukarugavur, Thanjavur, Pillayarpatti & Madurai-image00001.jpg
Pilgrimage: Thirukarugavur, Thanjavur, Pillayarpatti & Madurai-image00006.jpg

Rustic TN:
Pilgrimage: Thirukarugavur, Thanjavur, Pillayarpatti & Madurai-image00002.jpg
Pilgrimage: Thirukarugavur, Thanjavur, Pillayarpatti & Madurai-image00007.jpg

Rain seemed not too far away:
Pilgrimage: Thirukarugavur, Thanjavur, Pillayarpatti & Madurai-image00008.jpg

The rain gods blessed us with just a slight drizzle.

By this time, it was becoming lunchtime and we were scouting for good restaurants along the way, which seemed hard to come by in rural TN. We saw a Marry Brown outlet on the side of the highway in Rajapalayam, but we were not looking to eat burgers or fries or the like for lunch. Seemed like a good option for another time, looked like having clean restrooms as well. Eventually, we stopped for lunch at Kurinchi Restaurant (9.492561, 77.616469) near Srivilliputhur. Whilst the food and service were good and the restaurant clean, the gents restrooms are to be avoided like the plague. The ladies' were reportedly acceptable.

With lunch over, we pushed on towards Madurai. We were worried about getting too much behind schedule. Fate intervened in the form of an carelessly placed stone on the highway. I saw it too late; must have been used as a tire block and left on the road itself, with the end result of having a punctured tire myself. The tedious job of unloading every bit of luggage to get out the spare tire and changing the flat ensued. That done and after having the flat fixed at the next small town, we were too much behind schedule that I began doubting reaching Thanjavur that day itself. However, we reached Madurai fairly soon, took the bypass and paused to have tea (9.823823, 78.092085). Forgot the name, but was fairly clean with a large parking area. No idea about the state of the restrooms though.

I decided to take the Madurai-Trichy-Thanjavur route instead of through Pudukkottai as I knew it was multi-lane highway all the way through. We made good time in this road and reached our pre-decided (stayed there once earlier) accommodation, Hotel Abi's Inn (10.761462, 79.126753), sometime near 9 p.m. Accommodation was available, thankfully, and we were allotted a two-bedroom apartment.

I recommend this hotel highly http://www.hotelabisinn.com/rooms.htm.

We were tired and hungry and headed to the restaurant for dinner after freshening up. The food was average, bordering on bland, nothing to rave about.
Pilgrimage: Thirukarugavur, Thanjavur, Pillayarpatti & Madurai-image00003.jpg
Pilgrimage: Thirukarugavur, Thanjavur, Pillayarpatti & Madurai-image00004.jpg
Pilgrimage: Thirukarugavur, Thanjavur, Pillayarpatti & Madurai-image00005.jpg

Post dinner, we returned to our room, hit the bed and fell asleep instantaneously.
Old 25th October 2014, 16:18   #4
BHPian

The next day, we woke up fresh and ready for another day in Tamil Nadu. The hotel provides complimentary breakfast and hence we had breakfast in the hotel itself. The breakfast was buffet type with idlis, dosas, pongal, bread, fruit, tea/coffee, fresh juice etc. The baby was the one who made most of the opportunity and had a chance to taste a variety of dishes that day. Post breakfast, we headed out to the first temple on our itinerary, Thirukarugavur temple (10.869300, 79.276486), about 25 km from Thanjavur.

The excellent Thanjavur-Trichy road:

One presumes most of you wouldn't have heard about Thirukarugavur temple. We didn't either. It so happens that while my sister was pregnant, Mathrubhumi Yathra magazine, a Malayalam travel magazine, published an article about this particular temple. The goddess here is supposed to be the protector of foetus. Praying to the goddess is also supposed to help childless couple conceive.

Quote:
The remarkable feature which distinguishes this temple from the other shrines is that, Goddess Sri Garbarakshambigai Amman here cures infertility related problems to women, blesses them to conceive and also helps them for safe and trouble free delivery.
garbaratchambigaitemple.org

At the time we visited, some renovation work was going on.

Temple chariot:

The story of Markandeya depicted on temple wall:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markand...alantaka-Shiva

The temple pond:

Nidhruvan, Vedhikai and Nadihuruvan thanking God:
More read: http://garbaratchambigaitemple.org/history/

Prayers over, we returned to Thanjavur to visit the Big Temple and pray before the temple closes at noon.

A few pics en route:
Pilgrimage: Thirukarugavur, Thanjavur, Pillayarpatti & Madurai-image00008.jpg
Old 9th November 2014, 15:19   #5
BHPian

Our aim was to reach Thanjavur Big Temple (10.782657, 79.131717) before it closes for darshan at noon.

The roads were mostly empty:
Pilgrimage: Thirukarugavur, Thanjavur, Pillayarpatti & Madurai-image00000.jpg

So much has been written about this temple that I don't have to do another writeup about it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brihadeeswarar_Temple

We were lucky to be able to pray before it closes for noon.

The main entrance:

The layout of the complex:

Another gate:

Well maintained premises. I guess being a UNESCO world heritage site has its advantages:

The main temple and the giant Nandi statue in front of it:

A reverse view, the Nandi statue and the gates:

The main temple, which houses the giant Shiva linga measuring 3.7 m tall:

The Nandi statue (weighing about 20 tonnes is made of a single stone and is about 2 m in height, 6 m in length and 2.5 m in width) and lamp post:
Name:  Image00008.jpg
Views: 6307
Size:  239.8 KB

Another picture:
Pilgrimage: Thirukarugavur, Thanjavur, Pillayarpatti & Madurai-image00009.jpg

Some pictures from the temple:
Pilgrimage: Thirukarugavur, Thanjavur, Pillayarpatti & Madurai-image00010.jpg
Pilgrimage: Thirukarugavur, Thanjavur, Pillayarpatti & Madurai-image00011.jpg
Name:  Image00012.jpg
Views: 6423
Size:  99.5 KB
Pilgrimage: Thirukarugavur, Thanjavur, Pillayarpatti & Madurai-image00013.jpg

Inscriptions on the temple walls:
Pilgrimage: Thirukarugavur, Thanjavur, Pillayarpatti & Madurai-image00014.jpg

Fort, moat, cannon, I guess the temple complex had immense military value:
Pilgrimage: Thirukarugavur, Thanjavur, Pillayarpatti & Madurai-image00015.jpg
Pilgrimage: Thirukarugavur, Thanjavur, Pillayarpatti & Madurai-image00016.jpg
Pilgrimage: Thirukarugavur, Thanjavur, Pillayarpatti & Madurai-image00017.jpg

Some of the smaller shrines:
Pilgrimage: Thirukarugavur, Thanjavur, Pillayarpatti & Madurai-image00018.jpg

Parting shot:
Pilgrimage: Thirukarugavur, Thanjavur, Pillayarpatti & Madurai-image00019.jpg

I wish we had more time to see the temple properly. I wish my camera had not shut down mid-visit. I have to come back another day, engage a guide and do a proper visit.

Today, we have to reach Madurai and have darshan at Pillayarpatti en route. We went back to our hotel, checked out, and began our drive towards Madurai.
darklord is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2014, 18:28   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Pilgrimage: Thirukarugavur, Thanjavur, Pillayarpatti & Madurai

Thread moved from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section) to Travelogues. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2014, 13:45   #7
BHPian

Nice travelogue. For whoever interested, there are lots of temples / hindu pilgrimage centers around Tanjavur / Kumbakonam. And I don't need to elaborate the specialties of this particular Brihadeeshwara temple aka Big temple.

BTW- The pole in front of the Nandi is not a Lamp Post, but a Flag Pole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
Our aim was to reach Thanjavur Big Temple (10.782657, 79.131717) before it closes for darshan at noon.

The Nandi statue (weighing about 20 tonnes is made of a single stone and is about 2 m in height, 6 m in length and 2.5 m in width) and lamp post:
Srikanthan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2014, 09:35   #8
BHPian

Hello,

This was a nice read, but I feel the number of snaps were less. I have never been to that side of TN. My mother is pestering me from sometime to visit the Brihadeeshwara temple (Tanjore). I think the winters would be the best time to visit.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers!
voyageur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2014, 20:41   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur View Post
Thanks for sharing.
A temple drive is a different kind of fun. Especially the Trichy/Tanjore/KMU/Mayavaram is a HUGE temple belt. And in fact to add to it, there are many many temples apart from the usual big ones, that are equally worth visiting. The Thirukaragavur temple is one such. Many would not have heard about it in the same usual tone as the rest. But this temple commands a huge following. Similarly there exist many-many more in this belt.

I would suggest:

- One night at Tanjore and temple visits (Big Temple, Nearby Navagrahas: Thingaloor, Alangudi)
- Second night at Kumbakonam: Finish rest of Navagrahas (Thirunallar, Kezhaperumpallam, Thiruvengadu, Vaitheeswaran Kovil, Kanjanoor, Suryanaar, Thirunageshwaram)
- Third night again at Kumbakonam (Uppiliappam, Darasuram, Sarangapani, Swamimalai)
- Fourth night at Trichy: (Srirangam, Samayapuram, Rockfort, Thiruvanaikaval)

And do note: By no means the list is complete. (We have just started!)

@darklord: Nice log. Its always fun reading logs about this region of TN. One for the temples themselves and secondly for awesome food! (whats a drive without food eh? )
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2014, 20:46   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
"Give more time to things you like rather than things that you do not like."
Absolutely, Kudos to that friend of yours
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2014, 14:45   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
A temple drive is a different kind of fun. Especially the Trichy/Tanjore/KMU/Mayavaram is a HUGE temple belt. And in fact to add to it, there are many many temples apart from the usual big ones, that are equally worth visiting. The Thirukaragavur temple is one such. Many would not have heard about it in the same usual tone as the rest. But this temple commands a huge following. Similarly there exist many-many more in this belt.

I would suggest:

- One night at Tanjore and temple visits (Big Temple, Nearby Navagrahas: Thingaloor, Alangudi)
- Second night at Kumbakonam: Finish rest of Navagrahas (Thirunallar, Kezhaperumpallam, Thiruvengadu, Vaitheeswaran Kovil, Kanjanoor, Suryanaar, Thirunageshwaram)
- Third night again at Kumbakonam (Uppiliappam, Darasuram, Sarangapani, Swamimalai)
- Fourth night at Trichy: (Srirangam, Samayapuram, Rockfort, Thiruvanaikaval)

@darklord: Nice log. Its always fun reading logs about this region of TN. One for the temples themselves and secondly for awesome food! (whats a drive without food eh? )
Hello Ampere,

I always wanted to explore that part of TN. But due to time limitations I could never. Definitely your guide would help me in future. These historical places definitely deserves to seen and praised.

I will disturb you once I decide on doing the trip

Have a great day.
voyageur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2014, 14:55   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur View Post
I will disturb you once I decide on doing the trip
Any time ! The beauty of this region is along with temple's religious part of visit, they command an equally brilliant architecture related perspective as well.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2014, 12:48   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Why not a separate thread on temples in TN especially Trichy/Thanjavur/Kumbakkonam belt. There are innumerable temples most of them over 1500 years old and with a rich history. Most of them are quite huge with excellent architecture and more importantly they continue to be places of worship (ie just not ruins/heritage sites)
raju2512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2014, 21:30   #14
BHPian

Right after we got out of Thanjavur town, we stopped at the first petrol pump after the IAF Base to fill petrol. We put in Rs. 1500 worth of petrol and for the first time in my life, I got something free with the petrol; an 1 L bottle of mineral water .

Time was scarce. We had to pray at Pillayarpatti and reach Madurai as early as possible. The kid enjoyed the trip during daytime, but when the night falls, she could not see people's faces properly and that seemed to bother her. Santro has only one interior light and turning that on would disturb the driver.

The road was good and went through sparsely populated areas, so we made good time. We had to endure traffic only at Pudukkotai.

We stopped for tea somewhere after Pudukkotai:

We took the Karaikudi road to Pillayarpatti and reached there a little before 7.

Pillayarpatti Karpaka Vinayagar Temple (10.119351, 78.667622) is a rock-cut cave temple dedicated to Lord Ganapati and is believed to be built between the years 1091 and 1238.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karpaka_Vinayakar_Temple

Just as we stepped in front of the sanctum sanctorum, an elderly lady stepped forward and without much ado, placed the god's prasadam (a sweet) into the kid's mouth and kind of welcomed her to the temple. I was holding the kid at that time and found it endearing.

The temple wasn't much crowded and we had an easy darshan.

Couldn't take any pictures of the temple or the premises as it was nighttime and as I had mentioned, the camera was out of action.

We didn't spend much time at Pillayarpatti and started towards Madurai. Took the Thirupattur-Melur-Madurai road and reached Madurai a little after 9. We took rooms in Hotel Malar opposite the Mattuthavani Bus Stand and had dinner from a nearby restaurant. Hotel Malar wasn't a great choice and I wouldn't probably stay there a second time, but I had not done my homework for Madurai. Having said that, it was fairly okay a stay.

Tomorrow is the last day of our trip. We have to pray at Madurai Meenakshi Temple, the ladies have to do their shopping, and we have to reach home by the night. We sank into a restful sleep.
darklord is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2014, 21:43   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The road was good and went through sparsely populated areas, so we made good time. We had to endure traffic only at Pudukkotai.
This is very good to note. I hoped the road would be good. But looks like its freshly tarred! Pretty much like Trichy-Pudukottai. Sadly there is no bypass for the Tanjore road towards Karaikudi at Pudukottai. But it exists for folks coming from Trichy driving to Karaikudi. (In other words bypass exists for NH210)
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote