Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2014, 12:06   #16
BHPian
 
gearhead_mait's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 391
Thanked: 1,296 Times
Default re: Sailed through North Sikkim in Sedans, Hatchbacks and an SUV

Pardon! But no "English" words to describe this one.
"Ek kothay, Osadharan!"

Any reasons for not taking Burdwan-Moregram SH7 route? Any negatives?
gearhead_mait is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 12:41   #17
BHPian
 
Sandman689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Kolkata/Blore
Posts: 44
Thanked: 25 Times
Default re: Sailed through North Sikkim in Sedans, Hatchbacks and an SUV

I thoroughly enjoyed going through the travelogue. And awesome photos Samba da, especially the night shots. Loved them.

The videos were really helpful as to what exactly you faced. Bravo to everybody for doing this in their hatchbacks and sedans. It's quite a feat.
Sandman689 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 13:12   #18
BHPian
 
Samba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 890
Thanked: 4,850 Times
Default re: Sailed through North Sikkim in Sedans, Hatchbacks and an SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Thanks for sharing this awesome travelogue Samba
Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Can you let us know the route/directions you took Zongu, Lachung & Temi?

Thanks
From Gangtok we took the typical North Sikkim road which goes in front of the 'Seven Sister Falls' to Mangan. This road is horrible at places.

While coming back we took a different route. We drove till Dikchu bazar. From there took left which connects to the road going to Singtam. After driving for a while there will be one diversion. Straight goes to Singtam. Left to Gangtok. We took left for Gantok. This roads was really good or more suitable for our cars than the road we opted while going.

For Dzongu and Lachung you have to reach Mangan first. There is a 'Y' intersection. From there the right road goes to lachung (58kms) and the left goes to Dzongu (20kms)

For Temi we drove till Singtam from Gantok. Took left. Drove for 4 kms crossed the bridge and that road leads to Temi. But be careful for 2-3 left turns. If you miss that you will reach some where else!



Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Unfortunate we could not meet because of my crazy schedule, hope we meet soon.


Yes hard luck this time. We will definitely meet next time. Even while returning we crossed Purnea in a odd time.

Our team sincerely like to thank you for your help. Specially for your guidance when i called you from Siliguri in the evening. Your advice to drive down till Bhagalpur really came out to be helpful for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddrive View Post
Another picturesque beauty from you Samba, brought back memories of our trip to Gangtok last July.
A visit to North Sikkim is remaining pending & deeply hidden in my mind, and your travelogue is kind of kindling it right now
Thanks a lot. Really elated to know you liked my other travelogues too!

Yes you must visit north Sikkim. Its a picturesque.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SaurabhSaran View Post
Samba, thread title is best for this travelogue.

Brilliant photographs as always, we are now used to see very nicely captured pics on your travelogues.

Thanks for sharing!
Thanks a lot. Truly am amazed to know you liked my other travelogue's too! Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
It was a pleasure to read through your travelogue and excellent pictures as usual. Too bad that I missed this trip, the roads seem to be ideal for my Bolero :-)
Anyways, there is a always a next time.
Thanks a lot. Yes even we missed you in this trip. Hoping to go together for a trip shorty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
I just finished reading your travelogue at one go. Simply amazing! I guess, your travelogue would tempt many of us to take the plunge.

Cheers,
Golam
Thanks a lot.

Just one suggestion. If you plan to drive a low ground clearance car, please be extra cautious. Plus going in a group or at-least two cars will be safer. If you plan to drive a SUV then its fine. Absolutely no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
Excellent travelogues and pictures. I specially liked the picture of the galaxy, as it is something not at all visible from any city nowadays.
Thanks a lot Rahul da. It very true the pollution and the smog in our cities snatch the privilege of watching the beautiful night sky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacho9000 View Post
Brilliant travelogue Samba da. The pictures are tempting enough for anyone to go and visit sikkim. It has it's own different beauty which keeps pulling quite a few people towards sikkim I guess. I wish to visit this place someday soon. Till then keep us posted with travelogues like this with quality pics.

Cheers,
Subhra
Thanks a lot brother. I hope you will be driving to the hills soon with your much awaited SUV which should be coming soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
I am jealous man! How could we not visit such places living in India. Excellent writing and photos. Thanks for sharing this with us.

I have a question, Are'nt permits available from Gangtok? Where did you get the permits for different places from.
Thanks lot.

Yes the best way to get the permits is from Gangtok. For us we didn't had spare time at Gantok. Plus the owner of our home stay at Dzongu assured us that he will help us to get the permits for North Sikkim from Mangan. With his help and assurance we got it from Mangan. We got both our permits for Yumthang/zeropint and Dzongu from Mangan. If you plan to drive to North Sikkim, i will suggest you to keep a spare day at Gangtok so you can get it from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_mait View Post
Pardon! But no "English" words to describe this one.
"Ek kothay, Osadharan!"

Any reasons for not taking Burdwan-Moregram SH7 route? Any negatives?
Thanks a lot.

We avoided Nh34 for couple of reasons. First is the dreadful traffic jam between Farakkha and Malda which passes through kaliachowck. Secondly to the the level crossing mess at Dalkhola.

In the Bhagalpur route, except the messy Bhagalpur town traffic the rest of the route has sparse traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman689 View Post
I thoroughly enjoyed going through the travelogue. And awesome photos Samba da, especially the night shots. Loved them.

The videos were really helpful as to what exactly you faced. Bravo to everybody for doing this in their hatchbacks and sedans. It's quite a feat.
Thanks a lot brother.

Last edited by Samba : 27th October 2014 at 13:19.
Samba is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 14:44   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
razor4077's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,875
Thanked: 252 Times
Default re: Sailed through North Sikkim in Sedans, Hatchbacks and an SUV

Awesome travelogue, rated it 5 stars! Loved the videos - gives a true feel of what the cars and drivers had to go through. Impressed that the sedans/hatches were able to make it over the boulders and rocks and dirt tracks. Good stuff.
Pics are great, especially those of Kanchenjunga and the Miky Way! What camera do you use?
Hope we can catch up sometime, maybe even be part of a road trip together. Cheers!
razor4077 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 17:11   #20
BHPian
 
ARAY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: WB 38
Posts: 199
Thanked: 870 Times
Default re: Sailed through North Sikkim in Sedans, Hatchbacks and an SUV

Another excellent travelogue . Excellent write-up and narration .
The pictures are beautiful as always . Keep those wheels spinning always and write beautiful story of such epic journeys.
ARAY is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 17:25   #21
BHPian
 
himadrimondal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 418
Thanked: 859 Times
Default re: Sailed through North Sikkim in Sedans, Hatchbacks and an SUV

Absolutely 5 stars rated travelogue. The after dark frames are just awesome with perfect exposures. I did not like the 'coming back to kolkata ' photographs, more so because it gives me a feeling you will be posting no more frames. Please dig into your memory cards and post a few more frames of the mountains, snow and cars. Hats off to you guys.
himadrimondal is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 18:36   #22
BHPian
 
shomshree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 106
Thanked: 234 Times
Default re: Sailed through North Sikkim in Sedans, Hatchbacks and an SUV

Stunning photographs & brilliant narrations. The shots of night sky are the pick of the lot. Would definitely take tips on our next meet for milky-way click.

By the way, waiting for the over night meet thread.
shomshree is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 18:37   #23
Distinguished - BHPian
 
BlackPearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 2,311
Thanked: 4,387 Times
Default re: Sailed through North Sikkim in Sedans, Hatchbacks and an SUV

Yes this TL deserves 5 stars like Himadri and Razor have mentioned. The evening shots are mind blowing and we want more of them as well as those of the mountains. Are the other travelers who went with you going to post pictures on this thread as well?
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 19:39   #24
Newbie
 
aashish_84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 20
Thanked: 38 Times
Default re: Sailed through North Sikkim in Sedans, Hatchbacks and an SUV

Amazing travelogue & an excellent write up. Loved reading it. The pictures are breathtaking especially the night shots.
aashish_84 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 19:59   #25
BHPian
 
psurelia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 237
Thanked: 438 Times
Default re: Sailed through North Sikkim in Sedans, Hatchbacks and an SUV

I have no words to express my amazement!!! Hats off to you guys. Absolutely a 5 star TL and so I rated. The best part of the TL to me is the video of Day 5 (Dzongu to Lachung). There is only one thing that came to my mind after seeing this video - "There are less scary ways to commit suicide than to drive hatches and saloons on this road!!!" Therefore, kudos to you crazy guys...
psurelia is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 23:54   #26
BHPian
 
Samba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 890
Thanked: 4,850 Times
Default re: Sailed through North Sikkim in Sedans, Hatchbacks and an SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Awesome travelogue, rated it 5 stars! Loved the videos - gives a true feel of what the cars and drivers had to go through. Impressed that the sedans/hatches were able to make it over the boulders and rocks and dirt tracks. Good stuff.
Pics are great, especially those of Kanchenjunga and the Miky Way! What camera do you use?
Hope we can catch up sometime, maybe even be part of a road trip together. Cheers!
Thanks a lot.

I use a Canon Eos 50D.
Yes am eager to meet you too and a trip together will be really awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aritraray View Post
Another excellent travelogue . Excellent write-up and narration .
The pictures are beautiful as always . Keep those wheels spinning always and write beautiful story of such epic journeys.
Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
Absolutely 5 stars rated travelogue. The after dark frames are just awesome with perfect exposures.
Thanks a lot dada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
I did not like the 'coming back to kolkata 'photographs, more so because it gives me a feeling you will be posting no more frames.
Every time i cross the coronation bride while coming , my mood swings to off mode but while going its just the opposite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
Please dig into your memory cards and post a few more frames of the mountains, snow and cars. Hats off to you guys.
Regarding the pics this time i have taken hardly 100+ pics and i have shared 90 pics over here. I do not have any more but i will collect the pictures taken by our other team members and will share them over here with due credit to the photographer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shomshree View Post
Stunning photographs & brilliant narrations. The shots of night sky are the pick of the lot. Would definitely take tips on our next meet for milky-way click.

By the way, waiting for the over night meet thread.
Thanks a lot. Surely will share my little knowledge with you on the clicking and post processing methods for milky way pic.

For the Team Bhp overnight meet, Pawan da told he will start a thread soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Yes this TL deserves 5 stars like Himadri and Razor have mentioned. The evening shots are mind blowing and we want more of them as well as those of the mountains. Are the other travelers who went with you going to post pictures on this thread as well?
Thanks a a lot again!

I have requested Bhpian Averendu da (Avrendu), Arindam da (Arindamxeta) and Debasish Da (Captdey) to share there pics over here. Once they get free time they told they will definitely share.

Once i collect the pics from our non bhpian members i will share there pics over here with due credit to the photographer.


Quote:
Originally Posted by aashish_84 View Post
Amazing travelogue & an excellent write up. Loved reading it. The pictures are breathtaking especially the night shots.
Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psurelia View Post
I have no words to express my amazement!!! Hats off to you guys. Absolutely a 5 star TL and so I rated. The best part of the TL to me is the video of Day 5 (Dzongu to Lachung). There is only one thing that came to my mind after seeing this video - "There are less scary ways to commit suicide than to drive hatches and saloons on this road!!!" Therefore, kudos to you crazy guys...
Thanks a ton dada.

When we saw the road to Dzongu in day we were like thank god we climbed up in night! As in day time it would have been more terrifying!

Last edited by Samba : 27th October 2014 at 23:57.
Samba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 23:55   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
1100D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 4,179
Thanked: 2,358 Times
Default re: Sailed through North Sikkim in Sedans, Hatchbacks and an SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_mait View Post
Pardon! But no "English" words to describe this one.
"Ek kothay, Osadharan!"
There is a word for it "Extraordinary" and even that would be an understatement.

Even I would like to use a single word to describe this "Speechless".

I wish there was a way to extend the "thanks" points to each one who was involved, Rana, Avrendu, Captdey everyone.

It takes sheer determination, guts, organisation skills to pull something like this off, given that the entire journey is shroud with uncertainty. The Cameraderie that emerged, given that the route was a challenge for each of the vehicles (Barring maybe the scorpio, but driven by a young at heart), is fabulous.

Lastly Samba, you, like Sachin Tendulkar, let your Bat do the talking, be it the drive, your Etios, the photographs or the Narration (a few glitches apart though!). No gimmicks, no popularity building measures and thoroughly level headed, despite what you guys just achieved.

I was always your fan and now I am your follower.

Samba-San!! Keep rocking!!
1100D is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2014, 10:53   #28
BHPian
 
me_sid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 298
Thanked: 182 Times
Default re: Sailed through North Sikkim in Sedans, Hatchbacks and an SUV

Lovely articulation, and stunning pictures. Indeed speechless! Loved every moment of it. And frankly its a feat that you guys accomplished very well, as a Team. Cheers to All! particularly the kiddos. This deserves 5 stars.
me_sid is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2014, 11:13   #29
Newbie
 
Safedriver76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 12
Thanked: 9 Times
Default re: Sailed through North Sikkim in Sedans, Hatchbacks and an SUV

We all dream about being a part of such an expedition but only a few manage to drum up the courage, find the time and have the patience to organize such a well panned trip.So kudos to all of you for making all of that happen.Ever since i saw the initial teaser pictures from avrendu, i was eagerly waiting for Samba's detailed TL.I did not have to wait for long.As every one enjoyed the diwali vacation, there was someone who toiled, burning the midnight oil to give us (TBHP ians) such a gift.It was a treat to go through your TL ,Samba.
Safedriver76 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2014, 12:51   #30
BHPian
 
Samba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 890
Thanked: 4,850 Times
Default re: Sailed through North Sikkim in Sedans, Hatchbacks and an SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
There is a word for it "Extraordinary" and even that would be an understatement.

Even I would like to use a single word to describe this "Speechless".

I wish there was a way to extend the "thanks" points to each one who was involved, Rana, Avrendu, Captdey everyone.
Thanks a ton.

Yes as a team every body was so co-operative and adjustable that i want to thank everyone once again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Lastly Samba, you, like Sachin Tendulkar, let your Bat do the talking, be it the drive, your Etios, the photographs or the Narration (a few glitches apart though!). No gimmicks, no popularity building measures and thoroughly level headed, despite what you guys just achieved.

I was always your fan and now I am your follower.

Samba-San!! Keep rocking!!
This was like putting me on coud9! Thanks a lot for so much appreciation.

But to be honest this travelogue by you was my inspiration to write my first travelogue on team Bhp. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...territory.html (Sandakphu Phalut Kolakham - Unleashing a Mahindra Scorpio on Land Rover territory)


Quote:
Originally Posted by me_sid View Post
Lovely articulation, and stunning pictures. Indeed speechless! Loved every moment of it. And frankly its a feat that you guys accomplished very well, as a Team. Cheers to All! particularly the kiddos. This deserves 5 stars.
Thanks a lot Sid da. Will love to go for a trip along with your Airavat (Xuv 500) some times soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safedriver76 View Post
We all dream about being a part of such an expedition but only a few manage to drum up the courage, find the time and have the patience to organize such a well panned trip.So kudos to all of you for making all of that happen.Ever since i saw the initial teaser pictures from avrendu, i was eagerly waiting for Samba's detailed TL.I did not have to wait for long.As every one enjoyed the diwali vacation, there was someone who toiled, burning the midnight oil to give us (TBHP ians) such a gift.It was a treat to go through your TL ,Samba.
Thanks a ton! That's a lot of appreciation i & our team got from you! Am really elated. Thanks once again.

I wrote this travelogue when ever i got some free time. I must say i enjoy writing in Team Bhp as i know it will be shared among so many like minded people. Really like to thank Team Bhp to give us a platform where we can share our happy moments.

Last edited by Samba : 28th October 2014 at 12:53.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sailed through the high passes in Hatchbacks, SUVs & a Sedan - Our Ladakh chapter from Kolkata Samba Travelogues 123 20th June 2016 12:08
In-Gear Acceleration (3rd & 4th) of common hatchbacks and sedans amit_mechengg Technical Stuff 29 13th August 2014 12:50


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:17.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks