Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 15th November 2014, 12:53   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Voyage: Phuket, Amazing Thailand

Amazing pictures and great write up.

Loved reading it. Hoping to do Thailand next year.
microaubin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2014, 15:12   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur View Post
As promised I am going to write down my suggestions for you guys to have a safe and cheap trip:

5. The food is expensive in Thailand. Choose a hotel having kitchen facilities or get McDonald’s or Pizza. It is actually cheaper than the other restaurants.

Just a note on the above two point. If you stick to local cuisine, food is actually quite cheap all over Thailand
vb-san is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2014, 13:44   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by microaubin View Post
Amazing pictures and great write up.

Loved reading it. Hoping to do Thailand next year.
Good luck Aubin, Will recommend Phuket anyday, if you ask me. I think with your family, you will love the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Just a note on the above two point. If you stick to local cuisine, food is actually quite cheap all over Thailand
Yes, but you know the lack of spices made it hard for me to have it. Thai food is way way cheaper. Didn't research much on the food, which back fired. Never expected that I would be spending loads of money on food.
voyageur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2014, 20:45   #34
Senior - BHPian

Inviting pics there Anoop. Tiger

Now feeling like going through my Thailand folder and put a photologue.
jacs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2014, 10:53   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Inviting pics there Anoop. Tiger

Now feeling like going through my Thailand folder and put a photologue.
Hello Jacob,

Thank you. I am sure you will have your share of stories about Thailand. I think you should go ahead and put up a photologue.

Cheers!
voyageur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2015, 15:33   #36
BHPian

Copying this post from another thread to get views from more people. Apologies in advance for this!

I am planning a 3/4 day trip to Phuket with a friend of mine and wanted some tips/suggestions from people here.

1. Which are the must visit places in Phuket? I searched on-line and found a few places like Big Buddha, Chalong Temple, Phang Nga Bay – these are the kind of places I am interested in. Also happy to do some adventure activities at the beach. I do not want to invest any time in shopping!

2. Any tips for booking air tickets to Phuket? I saw on makemytrip that the cheapest fare is from Malaysian airlines (from 28k for a return trip) with the other option being Bangkok airways (c39k). I am flexible to make this trip any time from 20th Dec-4th Jan. Any permutations with the dates which might help in reducing the airfare?

3. Any suggestions for budget hotels in Phuket? I do not need a lavish 5 star room but need a decent room with clean toilets! How much cost should I factor in? Rs 4k per day?

4. I have read that going around the city in taxis is very expensive. I am planning to hire a moped (Google suggested pricing of THB250/day) or plan to use their local rickshaws/tuk-tuk.

5. How much would be the overall cost of the trip (3-4 days)? I do not drink alcohol and do not intend to visit night clubs. I do not need to dine at very expensive places. I am very happy to eat subway sandwiches or noodles everyday (not a foodie at all).

Any tips related to Phuket would be greatly appreciated!
Saanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2015, 14:04   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Copying this post from another thread to get views from more people. Apologies in advance for this!

I am planning a 3/4 day trip to Phuket with a friend of mine and wanted some tips/suggestions from people here.

1. Which are the must visit places in Phuket? I searched on-line and found a few places like Big Buddha, Chalong Temple, Phang Nga Bay – these are the kind of places I am interested in. Also happy to do some adventure activities at the beach. I do not want to invest any time in shopping!

2. Any tips for booking air tickets to Phuket? I saw on makemytrip that the cheapest fare is from Malaysian airlines (from 28k for a return trip) with the other option being Bangkok airways (c39k). I am flexible to make this trip any time from 20th Dec-4th Jan. Any permutations with the dates which might help in reducing the airfare?

3. Any suggestions for budget hotels in Phuket? I do not need a lavish 5 star room but need a decent room with clean toilets! How much cost should I factor in? Rs 4k per day?

4. I have read that going around the city in taxis is very expensive. I am planning to hire a moped (Google suggested pricing of THB250/day) or plan to use their local rickshaws/tuk-tuk.

5. How much would be the overall cost of the trip (3-4 days)? I do not drink alcohol and do not intend to visit night clubs. I do not need to dine at very expensive places. I am very happy to eat subway sandwiches or noodles everyday (not a foodie at all).

Any tips related to Phuket would be greatly appreciated!
Hello,

1. Must visit places, along with Phang Nga there are other islands like Phi Phi and James bond, which you can consider visiting. Muay Thai Boxing matches happen every week, so you might as well watch that. Near Wat Chalong there is a view point I visited called Promthep, which is close by (6 kms). Nothing special about this place, but it should be nice in the evening. There are also a lot of other places like the Tiger sanctuary near Phuket, Scuba diving centres, Phuket half day safari, Sky club paragliding, go karting and a lot of beaches as well.

2. Air-Asia should provide the cheapest flight. This is the season time so expect somewhere around 30k (I think). I took Singapore Airlines (silk air) and paid some 27k iirc.

3. The place I stayed was Patong Condominium near Patong beach. That's where the night life is most active though I didn't do much of roaming around at night cos I was tired from the trips I had for the day. I would suggest to book a hotel for 2 days and then once you reach there, the options are plenty. You get cheap and good hotels for less than 2-3k Inr. The hotel I stayed was 4 star I believe and it was great. Except from the pool, the rooms and the view was really nice.

4.Better to get a rented moped. Downside is that if you do not have a international driving license, you don't get insurance if you crash. People take advantage of that and I have heard that these rental companies send people to smash your vehicle parked below the hotel to extract money out of you. There are a lot of people renting out mopeds and motorbikes, but this is what I heard and I kept away from renting one. Most of the travels pick you up from the hotel and drop you back. You need a vehicle to visit places like beaches, temples or fairs.

5.Excluding the air ticket, it should stay well below 30k inr per person. Indian food is costly, avoid that. If you can get noodles and cook it, well and good. Else choose to have McD or pizza. They are relatively cheaper but food is the most expensive thing out there. So be prepared to have street food as well (which is cheaper and tasty as they say) instead of proper meals.

Carry a 1500-2000 TBH (per person) with you guys while entering Thailand. Do not exchange money from Airport. Also read the first page and last page of my post. I had posted a few observations from then.

Happy journey.

Last edited by voyageur : 10th December 2015 at 14:11.
voyageur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote