Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 4th November 2014, 18:40   #1
BHPian

Smile Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills

My wife had this long standing demand to take her to Srivilliputtur temple in Tamilnadu. So i had thought of planning this tour during Navarathri time to take advantage of kids school vacation and the auspicious festival days of Navrathri. But somehow could not manage that time.

So normal life was going on and as usual Diwali festivities were going on keeping all members busy at home. But Diwali was on Thursday 23rd and we had a long weekend after that with nothing much to do. So thought of making use of it and planned the long awaited Temple tour of 3 days from 24th to 26th October 2014. The route planned was as follows:

Name:  routemap.bmp
Views: 3472
Size:  748.5 KB

So the plan was to visit Ranganathswamy temple at Srirangam first then the Madurai Meenakshi temple on day 1. Next day proceed to Srivilliputtur temple and by evening reach to Kodaikanal and halt. Next day at Kodaikanal for sight seeing and start by evening 5 to reach Bangalore by midnight. I knew this plan was subject to crowds at temples which was going to impact the time for Darshan at the temples. So i did not book any hotels and decided to book it on the go.

Day 1 : 24th Oct 2014 :Bangalore-Srirangam-Madurai
Plan was to start early by 6 at least so that we can reach Srirangam by 12. But with 2 kids and 2 senior citizen in the family, it was only by 7 that we could start from home. I decided to take the Varhur-Sarjapur-Attibele route to avoid the traffic and within half an hour we were at Hosur toll post.luckily there was not much traffic on the hosur side and it was smooth cruising on the NH7 post that. First stop that we made was at Saravana Bhavan near Krishnagiri for breakfast at 9 am. Although it was almost full that time but still the service was quick and could finish a full filling breakfast and start in another 30 minutes. After that there was no stopping and continued on the NH7 till the junction with Salem-Trichy road which takes us through Namakkal to Trichy. This road takes us through many villages and towards Trichy it really turns into beautiful route with the river Cauvery by our side for company till Trichy. So finally reached Srirangam temple and parked near the big first Gopuram at around 1:30 pm.

I forgot to mention that all this while i was guided by Navimaps GPS on my phone which was with display ON for all the journey and when i removed the phone from charger finally it got shut down and showing no sign of waking up. Since my phone was my only source of all information on internet, i was bit worried. But since we had no other option, decided to proceed to temple for Darshan. on enquiry with the shops on the way to temple, we were informed that the temple opens for Darshan only at 3:00 pm which is contrary to information on temple website that the temple does not close during day. But again with no other option, we decided to proceed to temple and wait in the queue. there are 3 separate queues for darshan Rs. 250, Rs. 50 and free. Since we were early there decided to wait in Rs. 50 queue which was not that long. The temple opened exactly at 3 pm and they started with Rs. 250 queue first which has grown longer by now. So it took us around 1 hr to complete the darshan and come out of temple.

This temple complex is huge and it comprises of many other temples and the thousand pillar mandapam. So slowly had a look around all these places and returned to car by 6:00 pm. Now my plan was to reach Madurai and check into a hotel for stay. And still i had no booking and my phone on which i relied for that was dead. So the first thing i did was charge the phone for some time to wake it up. And thankfully it woke up after some 10 minutes.So quickly went to Goibibo.com to book Hotel Duke for out stay for the night. Only then i was bit relaxed that we have some specific destination to feed into my GPS app to take us to.

Madurai was another 140 km from there and not sure if we can get anything for dinner if we reach late, so we decided to have it in Trichy itself so found Vasanth bhavan on the way.But they had only tiffin items so had to settle with that only. Finally started from Trichy at 8:15 pm and reached Hotel Duke at Madurai at 10:30 pm. Quickly completed the check-in formalities and crashed to bed. Total distance traveled 481 km.

Day 2: Madurai-Srivilliputtur-Kodaikanal

As i mentioned before, passengers included 2 kids and 2 senior citizens besides my wife and myself.So all were very tired by the drive and all the walking in the temple on day 1. So all woke up late after 9 am. The hotel had a complementary breakfast with good menu of idly, vada, Pongal, Puri, dosa and it was tasty too. So all of us had full filling considering that we may not be getting proper lunch that day as we were supposed to be at Srivilliputtur by lunch time which is a small town with no proper restaurants. So after breakfast decided to head to Meenakshi temple for darshan. Since the temple is less than 1 km from the hotel decided to take an auto instead of driving the narrow and crowded lanes around temple. Reached temple around 10:30 am and there was not much rush at that time. Took the Rs. 100 special darshan tickets and had very good darshan in just 10 minutes and without any pushing or pulling in the crowd that we normally experience. So it was quite nice feeling this time. Following few pictures taken with cell phone inside the temple. They allow pictures in cell phone after paying Rs. 50 for the same. no proper camera allowed inside temple though.

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-imag1315.jpg

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-imag1316.jpg

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-imag1318.jpg

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-imag1322.jpg

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-imag1324.jpg

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-imag1332.jpg

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-rsz_sdc14779.jpg

Attachment 1305431

This temple complex is so huge that we may need a complete day to enjoy the beauty of it and surroundings. But unfortunately we didn't have much time to spare and so after around 2 hrs we came out of the temple by 12:30 pm. The sun was scorching that time and needed something cool to quench the thirst. Somewhere i have read about the special drink of Madurai called 'Jigar thanda'. And outside the temple only i saw the board on a juice shop selling the drink. So all of us had that and it really made our 'Jigar' thanda. It was quite tasty.

Headed back to hotel and packed the luggage and took rest for 1 hr to check out of hotel and start again to onward journey to Srivilliputtur.

It was already 2 pm and Srivilliputtur is another 80 km down south. The road was nice and newly laid and by 3:30 reached the temple at Srivilliputtur. One important thing about this temple is the temple tower (gopuram) of this temple is used in Tamil nadu government official seal. It is one of the tallest gopurams at 194 ft among all indian temples. see the pictures below:

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14782.jpg

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14783.jpg

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14787.jpg

By the time we came out of temple it was raining very heavily and there was no way for us to reach up to the car also. So just waited inside the temple admiring the beauty of the centuries old structures. We could reach our car only by 6 pm and i had another 150 km to travel to Kodaikanal. But before that i had to decide if we can make it there in time safely considering the weather. But after some deliberations decided to go ahead with the plans. Again went to Goibibo and booked Hotel Valley view at Kodai for same night check in and started with our journey leaving behind Srivilliputtur. But little did i know what surprise lies ahead for us on our way...
yogee is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2014, 18:05   #2
BHPian

Default re: Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills

Continuing from where i left before...After completing hotel booking and all,we started from Srivilliputtur only around 6:30 pm. The rain has subsided leaving the roads flooded and it was already dark by then. And i had 150 km of unknown roads to travel further. My GPS was showing road going through Peraiyur-Usilampatti-Batlagundu-Kodaikanal. So after checking the route i switched of my phone display to save my phone battery and started from Srivilliputtur. We had to take the same road back to Madurai upto some distance, where we have to take a left to Peraiyur.So i was looking carefully at all the junctions to find out the correct junction to take a left. And what didn't help was that all the boards were in Tamil only. So at one junction i stopped the car to check the GPS again to confirm that we are on the right track. And to my shock i found that we have already missed the left turn few kilometers back. But fortunately we were on a parallel road and the left on this junction also would take me to the original route. So even though the local people advised to go ahead straight, i relied on my GPS and my sense of direction and took the left. The road was good but it started getting narrow soon and with no signs of any habitation. That started worrying the passengers and they also became skeptical as to whether we were on the right track. But i continued and soon we came across small villages where the locals confirmed that we are on the right track to Peraiyur. That relieved us all and we continued slowly wondering how these villlagers live in these isolated places. people were already getting ready to sleep at around 7 pm there.
Very soon we reached Peraiyur from where we took the Theni road which has usilampatti at around 26 km from there. This road has widened now and also there was some traffic for company. The weather outside was very humid and hot so we had to switch on the AC again and we continued and reached Usilampatti town at around 8 pm. seeing a medical shop there my wife remembered to take some medicines and i stopped on the main road close to the bus stand. Next to it only we saw a board for Pay & use wash rooms and my daughter wanted to go.So i turned off the engine and took her to wash room. On return to car after around 5 minutes and getting back into my seat, i observed that i forgot to turn off the AC and that really scared me. Praying to god, i turned the key and as expected it refused to start. My fear had come true. The battery was completely drained by the AC there was no way the car can start.

I looked around to check if we can get any help. saw an electricals shop and enquired with him if we can get any help with the battery issue. The shopkeeper suggested that there is a garage at the next junction around 10 minutes away.He also tried to call the mechanic but could not get through. He suggested me to take an auto and bring the mechanic. I went back to car and explained the situation to my wife and then checked few autos but none wanted to come. Just then we saw a i10 pull behind our parked car and stopped. we knocked on their window and asked them if they know any mechanic near by. And to our good fortune, that car was that of a doctor from Madurai who hails from Usilampatti and he was visiting his home town for some work. So he commanded good respect from everybody and he immediately called the mechanic who arrived in 10 minutes. On arrival the mechanic got in driver seat and i could see the puzzled look on his face. On enquiring with him, he asked me 'Where is the clutch?' . My car is Honda city zx CVT and i realized that the mechanic has never handled an automatic transmission car. Mechanic was thinking of push starting the car but since it was CVT, he was not aware how to do that. But then i told them to use other car battery and jumper cables to start my car. And then other problem was where to get the cables from. Unfortunately i was also not carrying it neither the doctor. So another search started for the cables. The doctor called his friend and got some computer power cable to try our luck. The so called mechanics meanwhile stopped a diesel auto and thought of using his battery for this experiment. But on connecting that battery, the cable was burning but my car was still not starting. Seeing all this the doctor suggested that he will call his known mechanic from Madurai and he assured us that the problem will be solved. I had no other option but to rely on his assurance.

It was already 9 pm by then and our passengers which are 2 kids and 2 senior citizens were already getting impatient and worried. So i suggested them to go and have something as dinner, as we were not sure when we will be able to move ahead and we may not find any food also later. So they left to the restaurant nearby and all of us kept waiting for the mechanic to arrive from Madurai. At around 10 pm the mechanic arrived and again tried with the auto battery with the same cable. But the cable was not good for this. Then we waited some more time for another cable to arrive. The auto wanted to leave for home and so finally we decided to use the i10 battery for this. Finally got the right gauge cable and proper connections were made with the i10 battery and all of us including the doctor prayed before turning the ignition...and to our great relief and joy, the car finally started. Everybody was very happy and relieved.I just could not thank the doctor more for all the efforts he made for us strangers.I like to thank him here on this forum for all that he did for us. After that he told us to just start and dont stop anywhere till we reached Kodaikanal. He also gave me contact of his friend in Kodai in case any problem with the battery again after reaching there. So we just thanked everybody and left at around 11 pm with around 90 km still to go to reach our destination for the day.

After that we just turned everything off except the headlights and reached Batlagundu in another 1 hr and took a left there towards Kodai road. At the start of ghat road, there was check post where they noted car number and enquired about our start and end destinations for the trip. That time i saw 5-6 vehicles coming together down hill. So i thought there must be considerable oncoming traffic, but in all the ghat section i hardly encountered 4-5 small commercial vehicles only. Rest the road was clear and good. At some places in between, the visibility was poor due to clouds but otherwise had an uneventful jouney upto Kodaikanal where we reached at around 1:30 am.Just checked into the rooms and crashed to bed thanking the god for making us reach there safely. Total distance traveled for the day is 237 km.

Day 3 : 26th October 2014 (Kodaikanal)
It was really cold outside and everybody was obviously very tired from the travel on previous day. So nobody was in the mood to leave the comforts of the bed well until 9 am. It was the kids who got up early and very eager to go out for boating which i had promised them before. But first thing on my mind was to check if the car starts again or not. As it is the battery had given us the scare last day and added to it was the cold weather outside. So i went to check the car first and heaved a big sigh of relief when it started with the first crank. That really made me active and ordered breakfast and coffee in the room itself and started planning for the day ahead.

My original plan was to leave kodaikanal by evening 5 today and reach Bangalore by midnight. But due to turn of events yesterday i decided to add a day at Kodaikanal and start next day morning. Since we had time now planned to visit Palani also on the way. Now that we had full day on hand at Kodaikanal, planned to visit all the tourist spots and went down to have a stroll to have a feel of the place. Near the bus stand area there, i could see many local tourist taxis with their drivers offering sightseeing packages. Just checked with them for all the spots and they were offering to cover all at very competitive rates. So decided to give rest to my car & myself for the day and settled the deal with a Qualis taxi driver. Started from hotel at around 11:30 am and the following pictures will describe the points we seen on the way.

The first stop was at Pillar rocks since the clouds have cleared by then and view was clear. But its a rarity there, because by the time we got down from car and got entry tickets to see it clouds started to build up again. and this is what i could capture quickly.

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14789.jpg

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14790.jpg

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14801.jpg

Attachment 1306196

Next we went straight to Moir point, from where the road further goes to Berijam lake. We had no plan of visiting the lake so just enjoyed the views from the Moir point. The kids enjoyed playing on the swings there.

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14813.jpg

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14820.jpg

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14821.jpg

We returned from this point to see other points which we skipped while coming. On the way is a Golf course where some foreigners were enjoying a session of golf. Next halt was made at Guna caves. It was a long walk and the path was slippery due to rain. And finally it was disappointing that the caves are not accessible and whatever view we could have of it was that of caves filled with empty bottles and stones. Not worth the efforts especially for the senior citizens with us.

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14848.jpg

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14849.jpg

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14852.jpg

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14860.jpg

From there we started again and on the way at a spot our driver cum guide stopped the car and the engine too. He told us to keep silence and enjoy the silence at that point. And it was really very calm & serene silence there. It was only breaking with the sound of vehicles passing by. But otherwise it was nice feeling of silence. Just a few meters ahead is Pine forest. where kids enjoyed a horse ride and we had usual photo session.

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14822.jpg

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14823.jpg

Next on the way was Green valley view. This was previously known as suicide point. But what we could see is only the clouds and monkeys who are very bold and will snatch away any eatable they find. Beware of these monkeys.

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14846.jpg

Moved on quickly to next spot 'Pambar falls' which is also called Liril falls because Liril soap advertisement was shot here way back in 1985. But i really did not feel the waterfalls to be same. You can judge for yourself in the picture below.

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14867.jpg

Then the driver took us to a market where they sell local chocolates, spices etc. but we told him that we don't plan to buy anything and moved to next point 'Upper Lake view'. The view of the lake from here was very good and clouds were clear giving good opportunity to capture the lake. see pictures below.

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14873.jpg

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14874.jpg

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14877.jpg

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14881.jpg

It was already 3:30 pm by then and all of us were hungry too. So we were not willing to have further walk on Coakers walk which was the last point in this tour. So we told the driver to drop us near the bus stand where we had seen some Punjabi dhaba hotel for lunch. He left us there and left. The food there was ok type but since we were hungry did not mind much and had full lunch and proceeded to hotel for a quick rest of 30 minutes. on reaching hotel i extended my booking there by 1 more day and then planned to visit the Kurinji andavar temple in the evening. we started by 4:30 and on the way i saw this beautiful small park called 'Chettiar park'. It closes by 5 pm and we had just about 10 minutes to have a look. But its nicely maintained small park. Again kids enjoyed playing on the swings and slides in the park for 10 minutes.

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14884.jpg

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14886.jpg

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14894.jpg

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14900.jpg

We were just in time when the temple priest opened it for evening puja. Had quick darshan and captured some beautiful views of the surroundings before heading back to town.

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc149131.jpg

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14914.jpg

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14916.jpg

My plan was to reach Coakers walk just before dark, so that we can have both day view and night view. And we succeeded in that. Viewing the valleys with distant lights from towns was really breathtaking.

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14922.jpg

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14924.jpg

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14926.jpg

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14930.jpg

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14933.jpg

All were tired by then so returned to hotel and rested for a while. Then kids wanted pizza so myself and wife decided to have a small walk to Domino's and get pizza for the all. Then everybody enjoyed the hot pizzas and snuggled inside the blankets to get a good nights sleep.Distance traveled today was just 15 km and car got good rest.

Photo Limit reached...to be continued
yogee is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2014, 18:24   #3
BHPian

Default re: Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills

Day 4: 27th October 2014 (Kodaikanal-Palani- Bangalore)

Today was again going to be a long travel day, so planned to check out from hotel by 9 am itself. So immediately on getting up at 8, ordered breakfast and coffee and all of us got ready quickly. Still it was 9:30 am by the time we got moving finally from hotel. The first plan today was the boating at the lake which the kids were awaiting since yesterday. So went straight to boat club. There were very few people at that time so hired a boat with boatman for 30 minutes and got sailing quickly. The kids were really happy to be in water. Following pictures captured of the lake.

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14936.jpg

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14941.jpg

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14947.jpg

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14949.jpg

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14950.jpg

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14951.jpg

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14948.jpg

It was 10:30 am and time to say good bye to Kodaikanal. Started straight from boat club on our way down to Palani. Just made a halt at 'Silver Cascade' waterfalls. It was almost in its full glory, thanks to the rains in past few days.

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14960.jpg

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14963.jpg

Had a hot masala tea there and started on the road to Palani. Compared to the kodai road, this road was really bad initially. So i had to drive very slowly and carefully. The road was also narrow and visibility was dropping slowly as we moved ahead into the clouds. So i just found a Swift going ahead and decided to tail it as long as possible. As we started coming down, slowly the visibility and roads, both improved. and that swift also decided to make a stop by the side. So then i moved forward and it was very scarce traffic there onwards. only halt we took after that was a bio break for the kids. So i took the opportunity to capture few clicks.

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14971.jpg

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14973.jpg

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14975.jpg

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14977.jpg

There are 14 hair pin bends on this way down and at 13th bend there was an observation tower to capture the beauty of this reservoir below.

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14989.jpg

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14990.jpg

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14991.jpg

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14993.jpg

Reached Palani temple at 1 pm and went directly to Ropecar side. But unfortunately that day was their monthly maintenance shutdown. So only option was the Winch pictured below.

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14994.jpg

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14996.jpg

This Winch is slow moving one and as the ropecar was also closed, it was crowded also. had to wait for 1 hr to get out turn on it. And finally reached the hill temple by 3 pm. Got the Rs. 100 special darshan tickets and finished darshan very quickly and satisfactorily. But again we had to wait for the Winch to take us down. And when we were waiting there, it started raining very heavily. But luckily for us by the time our turn came the rain has stopped and we could safely come downhill by 5 pm.

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc14997.jpg

Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills-sdc15000.jpg

we were already behind schedule so quickly finished bio breaks for everybody and started our final leg of journey to Bangalore at 5:30 pm.

It was almost 7 pm till the time we joined the NH7 at Vedasandur from there on it was non stop till Salem junction wher we stopped at Hotel Apoorva for quick dinner. Time was 9 pm. So after 30 minutes started from there and it was cruising at around 100 only when there started heavy vehicles traffic around Krishnagiri. Added to that, it started raining heavily creating pools of water on the highway too. So slowly and safely driving then on and reached home finally at 1 am.

car : Honda City ZX Gxi CVT
Total Distance: 1202 km
Total petrol: 85.33 ltr
FE (Highway) : 15.05
FE (Overall) : 14.08
Satisfaction & Happiness : Unmeasurable & incomparable
yogee is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2014, 23:28   #4
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Temple tour, with a dash to the Hills

Quite an adventure man! You should consider investing in a dedicated GPS device if you plan to drive the highways a lot. But don't trust it fully, just use it like an adviser.

Your battery drain story was fascinating. I am surprised you can keep the AC on after switching of the engine. I would drain my battery at least once a week if that was possible in my car. I had traveled the Kodai-Munnar road via Theni at night in 2009, that was in an open Jeep in January cold. And my engine oil drained away completely. But I was with a bunch of offroaders, so we fixed the issue and resumed driving in 20 minutes.

Since cars run on 12V battery, the current that flows in car circuits is quite high compared to home circuitry. A 100W bulb at home may only draw 0.5 amps, while a 100W car headlight bulb will draw roughly 8 amps.

Now here is the real shocker (pun intended), the starter motor of the car can draw up to 250 amps, when you try to crank. The computer cables are rated for 15A at the most, hence they were burning like firewood. Therefore, if you have the habit of keeping AC on while engine is off, you better carry jumper cables that are rated around 400A.
Samurai is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2014, 13:16   #5
Team-BHP Support

To add to what Samurai said, two things always for the car for the highway:

- A Dedicated GPS
- A Mobile Charger for the car

Quite an adventure ! So lesson learnt; Make sure you turn off every before you get out of the car!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2014, 16:21   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogee View Post
So i turned off the engine and took her to wash room. On return to car after around 5 minutes and getting back into my seat, i observed that i forgot to turn off the AC and that really scared me. Praying to god, i turned the key and as expected it refused to start. My fear had come true. The battery was completely drained by the AC there was no way the car can start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I am surprised you can keep the AC on after switching of the engine.
I am surprised that it is that way. In my Wagon R even if the AC is kept switched on after turning off the engine it is only the blower that keeps working (AC automatically cuts off). A Honda should be no different.

According to my SA it has no bearing upon the battery. Maybe the problem was elsewhere. Maybe the battery was at its last stage.

Though I must say that adventure like these make your trip memorable.
Piyadassi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2014, 16:19   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Quite an adventure man! You should consider investing in a dedicated GPS device if you plan to drive the highways a lot. But don't trust it fully, just use it like an adviser.

Your battery drain story was fascinating. I am surprised you can keep the AC on after switching of the engine. I would drain my battery at least once a week if that was possible in my car. I had traveled the Kodai-Munnar road via Theni at night in 2009, that was in an open Jeep in January cold. And my engine oil drained away completely. But I was with a bunch of offroaders, so we fixed the issue and resumed driving in 20 minutes.

Since cars run on 12V battery, the current that flows in car circuits is quite high compared to home circuitry. A 100W bulb at home may only draw 0.5 amps, while a 100W car headlight bulb will draw roughly 8 amps.

Now here is the real shocker (pun intended), the starter motor of the car can draw up to 250 amps, when you try to crank. The computer cables are rated for 15A at the most, hence they were burning like firewood. Therefore, if you have the habit of keeping AC on while engine is off, you better carry jumper cables that are rated around 400A.
Thanks for your valuable inputs Samurai. And keeping AC on was a mistake which i never did before, but need to carry a good quality jumper cable henceforth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
To add to what Samurai said, two things always for the car for the highway:

- A Dedicated GPS
- A Mobile Charger for the car

Quite an adventure ! So lesson learnt; Make sure you turn off every before you get out of the car!
It was an adventure and definitely lessons learnt, Ampere. And although i was using car mobile charger, apparently the phone was drawing more current than what the charger was providing, hence the net effect was phone battery getting discharged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyadassi View Post
I am surprised that it is that way. In my Wagon R even if the AC is kept switched on after turning off the engine it is only the blower that keeps working (AC automatically cuts off). A Honda should be no different.

According to my SA it has no bearing upon the battery. Maybe the problem was elsewhere. Maybe the battery was at its last stage.

Though I must say that adventure like these make your trip memorable.
You are right Piyadassi, on return i confirmed that the battery is at its last stage and need a replacement. And it was only the blower(not AC) which kept working and managed to drain the battery.
yogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2014, 23:35   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And although i was using car mobile charger, apparently the phone was drawing more current than what the charger was providing, hence the net effect was phone battery getting discharged.
Phone can't draw more current than the charger can provide. It can draw less, but not more.

Quote:
And it was only the blower(not AC) which kept working and managed to drain the battery.
That finally explains the mystery, AC needs the engine to be running to work the compressor. But I am still puzzled that the blower can be ON when you removed the key. I never turn off the AC in my cars, when I turn off the ignition and remove the key, everything is off.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2014, 11:41   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Phone can't draw more current than the charger can provide. It can draw less, but not more.
Well, what i mean is that due to the GPS app and screen being on,the battery discharge was at higher rate than the charging provided by the car charger.

Quote:
That finally explains the mystery, AC needs the engine to be running to work the compressor. But I am still puzzled that the blower can be ON when you removed the key. I never turn off the AC in my cars, when I turn off the ignition and remove the key, everything is off.
I only turned off the engine and not turned off the key fully as there were passengers in the car and music was also on.
Old 12th November 2014, 13:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

Yogee
Quite an adventure! for an other wise expected staid pilgrimage.
Your experiences have made memories flood back. Years ago, I had left the Corolla's lights on (pre-2000), when I had gone into a conference. When I came back, all the delegates had left, mine was the only car left standing in the field. And it would not crank. Quick call to AAA, fixed that issue , and a lesson learnt.

So, as Ampere and Samurai have said already.. make some small investments
1) Jumper cable. Pick up the pure copper ones.
2) Car Mobile charger
3) Standard GPS solution. There is a tendency to believe in GMap and phone. But this can prove to be very power hungry. Besides if you are not used to using offline maps, it can get quite annoying -when you don't have anything better than a 2G signal.

And to that I would like to add:
4) Emergency battery pack for mobile - something like this.
5) A road atlas for Southern India (the paper variety).
6) A basic kit for road side repairs - fuses, air compressor, jack, puncture repair kit, socket set, screw drivers etc.
7) Food and plenty of water.

Here are two excellent sources of information - which will help you prepare more adequately
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...road-trip.html (ARTICLE: Preparation for an Indian Road Trip)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ong-drive.html (A Guide on Essentials of a Long Drive)
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2014, 15:42   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
3) Standard GPS solution. There is a tendency to believe in GMap and phone. But this can prove to be very power hungry. Besides if you are not used to using offline maps, it can get quite annoying -when you don't have anything better than a 2G signal.
Thanks for your valuable suggestions Joybhowmik.
Regarding GPS, i agree that its always preferable to use a standard GPS solution, but i must admit that the 'Navimaps' app is doing a good job and thats how i could make my way from remote interior roads to get back on the main road to Kodai at night time. And it uses offline maps downloaded on phone and the maps are from 'Mapmyindia'. So its good alternative to standard GPS solution. Also its not using the 2G/3G signals so no issue with data network availability too.

But the emergency batttery pack for mobile is definitely on my wish list.