Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 3rd January 2015, 16:38   #1
BHPian

Default Yercaud in December

Yercaud in December

The trip to Yecaud happened quite unanticipated. I received a call from RCI (Resort Condominiums International) that I am yet to avail my vacation for the year having enrolled into a membership with them through Sterling Holidays. This was reason enough to take my Vento TSI which had just completed the run-in period. However, we needed a location which was not too far to travel considering the patience and attention span of a 2 ½ year old inside a car. The folks from RCI gave an option of Yercaud and Ooty. I had not been to Yercaud and hence it was an easy choice. Based on availability, got a booking confirmed between 7th to 14th Dec, at Club Mahindra Lake Forest Resort, Yercaud.

The Journey
We decided to travel on the 9th Dec on account of a family event on 7th Dec. We hoped to leave early but the last minute packing had us start only in the afternoon by 3 pm.

Route: The route taken from Bengaluru was Hosur --> Krishnagiri --> Dharmapuri --> Salem --> Yercaud.

The NH-7 was a pleasant surprise and bliss to drive. I was expecting short stops for the family but managed to drive until Salem without any break in 3 hours and my son sleeping blissfully without a fuss. We were feeling a bit hungry now and the first one to catch our interest was Hotel Devi, which was just near the junction of the Five Roads HP Fuel station in Salem. Must say, the food at was good too. After an hour we headed towards Yercaud and the 20 hair-pin bends. Maintained in “D” mode initially but soon switched to “S” since the curves were beginning becoming quite steep. Could’ve used the “M” mode too but wanted to see how the “S” chooses the gears. It was on “S2” most of the time.

In an hours’ time, we arrived at the Club Mahindra Lake Forest Resort. There is big lake at a little distance and is probably named thence. The entrance is hidden in a corner to the left and has an archaic name board. I wasn’t sure initially if this was it. You’ll have to drive cautiously down to the reception on a stone paved path and once there, the ambience is pretty nice and refreshing. The shots below were taken during later days, since when we arrived, it was late in the evening.

The Reception
Yercaud in December-1_img_5825.jpg

Pathway
Yercaud in December-2_img_5823.jpg

Entrance landscape
Yercaud in December-3_img_5820.jpg

The Stay at Yercaud
The accommodation at Lake Forest, unlike most I had seen, is not a typical hotel Suite but individual Villament and quite spacious inside too and can accommodate an additional adult in a small room-like extension with a single bed to the main living area. The main room is furnished with large king size bed, a mini bar fridge, a dining table and a reclining wooden chair similar to a deck chair for want of better description and also a small table-top flat screen TV. There’s also a dressing table and a wardrobe as well. Pretty Neat.

Our Villa - 204
Yercaud in December-4_img_4954.jpg

Neighbour Below
Yercaud in December-5_img_4895_adb_20141217.jpg

10th Dec – Wednesday

Rain Day – At Resort
We woke a little late and by the time we readied ourselves for the First day’s visits around the viewpoints as planned, it began raining. It rained until the evening and hence our day was spent in the resort with room service and the game room there for some cheer-up. A damp squib of sorts since my wife also sprained a knee playing with my kid on an old cycle while posing for some photo-shoot. It had become extremely chilly as the evening passed and hence had to request for a room heater which they promptly provided albeit a small one enough to warm up the air a bit. We still felt it needed two such heaters but content that it made us feel better. I wonder what it would be like during the summers.

Around the Resort
Yercaud in December-6_img_5801.jpg

To the Dining Place
Yercaud in December-7_img_5805.jpg

Game Room
Yercaud in December-8_img_5827.jpg

Behind the Resort
Yercaud in December-9_img_5048_adb_20150101_1.jpg

Dancing Dolls
Yercaud in December-10_img_5812_1.jpg

Yercaud in December-11_img_5809_1.jpg

11th Dec – Thursday

Shervaroy Temple
We first decided to visit the Shervaroy Temple. Better to obtain some blessings for a better start. It’s a small cave temple. The deity is Lord Shervaroyan (Lord Vishnu) and the temple priest mentioned that the statue was not made but formed naturally. Photography was prohibited and hence we just took a few shots around the area. There really wasn’t much except for the landscape below and the cloudy skies above and hence left quickly.

Yercaud in December-12_img_5111_adb_20150101.jpg

Yercaud in December-13_img_5554_adb_20141224.jpg

Maha Meru Chakra Temple

Next on route was the Maha Meru Chakra Temple. The interesting thing about this temple was the design of the Gopuram for the Goddess Shakti is designed in the form of the Shree Chakra. The temple was not open at the time, but did take a snap from outside.

Main Temple
Yercaud in December-14_img_5233.jpg

Yercaud in December-15_img_5238.jpg

Kiliyur Falls
There were two other temples but we decided to skip those and visit the Kiliyur Falls after lunch at Saravana Bhavan Elite. If the name has you wondering, don’t be; its a small eatery. I am guessing, the “Elite” has been appended so folks don’t expect this to be one of the better known Saravana Bhavan restaurant chains in Tamil Nadu. They had some really good soft chapathis nevertheless.

The road to Kiliyur Falls is perhaps the only one, among the locations we had visited that seemed to have a bad patch in between and slightly narrow too. The rain the previous day had filled the larger pot holes requiring us to actually check the depth before steering the car through them. Vehicles can reach only to a point near an eating joint, from where you have to go on foot for some distance and then you have to climb down over 200 steps, a combination of concrete and metal stairs to reach the waterfalls. We were expecting some crowd but found only a group of four teens and two other families. One of the couples decided to return. We however, gingerly decided to go ahead. The journey down is easy but the climbing up on return could definitely tire most people who aren’t used to such exercise. On the flip-side, this workout eased the sprain my wife endured at the resort. Like the saying goes “Jo Hota hai, Achche Ke liye hota hai”. Indeed !

Climbing Down
Yercaud in December-16_img_5288.jpg

View Seen from the Steps
Yercaud in December-17_img_5292_1.jpg

The Waterfall
Yercaud in December-18_img_5311_1.jpg

Yercaud in December-19_img_5317_1.jpg

Another View near the fall
Yercaud in December-20_img_5350_1.jpg

The return climb - had us short-winded pretty much
Yercaud in December-21_img_5361.jpg

continued..

Last edited by just4wheels : 3rd January 2015 at 23:49. Reason: Still adding content
just4wheels is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2015, 18:14   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Yercaud in December

12th Dec - Friday

Botanical Garden
The Botanical Garden was the nearest destination on our list and hence decided to show some flowers to my son. As it turns out, it isn’t something to recommend. We only liked a few flowers on display and I did not make the effort to note the names either, except recalling that there were orchids and lilies. Here’s a select few.

Yercaud in December-22_img_5467.jpg

Yercaud in December-23_img_5078.jpg

Yercaud in December-24_img_5474.jpg

Yercaud in December-25_img_5475.jpg

Yercaud in December-26_img_5477_1.jpg

Yercaud in December-27_img_5506.jpg

Yercaud in December-28_img_5508.jpg

Pagoda Point

The location of the Lake Forest Resort is at a vantage point. Most of the viewing destinations are within just a few kilometers from the resort. The name “Pagoda” wasn’t inspiring to warrant a visit but then decided to check out nonetheless. Must say, The Pagoda Point was the only location that seemed worth a visit so far. The view was absolutely amazing. The photos that follow don’t do enough justice to describe the deep layers of hills and mist that keeps forming and disappearing.

Yercaud in December-29_img_5524_adb1_20141214_1.jpg

Yercaud in December-30_img_5549_adb_20141224.jpg

This is a panoramic shot. Please click to see larger size image.
Yercaud in December-32_img_5560_1_panorama_adb1.jpg

Yercaud in December-32_img_5576_1.jpg

Loved the hilly ranges through the distance
Yercaud in December-33_img_5563_1.jpg

The next two photos are panoramic shots. Please click to see larger size images.
Yercaud in December-34_img_5560_2_panorama_adb1.jpg

Yercaud in December-35_img_5560_3_panorama_adb1.jpg

Misty Volcano behind
Yercaud in December-36_img_5628_adb1_20141215.jpg

Looked like hills in the cloud
Yercaud in December-37_img_5631_20141215.jpg

Yercaud in December-31_img_5556_1.jpg

continued..

Last edited by just4wheels : 3rd January 2015 at 22:16. Reason: Still editing content
just4wheels is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2015, 18:48   #3
BHPian

13th Dec - Saturday

We decided to check-out from the resort and head back to Bengaluru post noon since we wanted to have the Sunday the next as a rest day. So between the morning and noon, we decided to do the boat ride at the lake that we had missed the previous evening after Pagoda Point and some of the other view-points. The rides are between 10.00 am to 6.00 pm daily. We had an early breakfast. It was a buffet and we had a good heavy fill. I understood that they serve a buffet every weekend at Lake Forest.

Boat Ride
The boat ride is Rs.350/- for about 10-15 minutes in a motor boat. They take you around the lake and you can enjoy some tilting moves of the boat the navigator might amuse you with. The boat slows down just before they dock at the end of the ride and there’s also someone taking your photograph, which is a cool Rs.150/- should you care to buy. The shot was pretty good and I ended up buying it only after he agreed to share the soft copy as well.

The Lake seen from the boat
Yercaud in December-38_img_5879.jpg

Yercaud in December-39_img_5857_1.jpg

Yercaud in December-40_img_5862_1.jpg

Lady’s and Children’s Seat
The Lady’s Seat is another view point. There is a telescope from where they show you some key locations for Rs.5/- per person, but the entire hill range was covered in mist and hence could not see anything that day. The Children’s Seat, the Rose Garden and Gents Seat are other viewpoints about half a kilometer from the Lady’s Seat. We did go to the Children’s point and the mist had only cleared a bit.

Children’s Seat
Yercaud in December-41_img_5909_1.jpg

The Hairpin Bends
It was already past 4.00 pm, so skipped the other view points and the rose garden thinking about our experience at the botanical garden and reminiscing that Lalbagh in Bengaluru should make do better for viewing roses or other flowers and headed back. We had missed taking some shots of the hair pin bends during our onward journey to Yercaud and hence made a couple of quick stops on the curves, long enough only for a few clicks using the cell phone. Very beautiful greenery down the hill during the day.

Yercaud in December-42_wp_20141213_053.jpg

Yercaud in December-43_wp_20141213_017_1.jpg

Yercaud in December-44_wp_20141213_022_1.jpg

Yercaud in December-45_wp_20141213_040.jpg

Yercaud in December-46_wp_20141213_048.jpg

Yercaud in December-47_wp_20141213_038.jpg

Yercaud in December-48_wp_20141213_043.jpg

Yercaud in December-49_wp_20141213_051_1.jpg

Reached Salem in about 40-45 minutes. Stopped over at Hotel Devi again for a late lunch and considering the time, it did not make much sense to search a new place to eat. Furthermore, my kid had begun to show restlessness due to frequent stop-overs since morning. So, after a decent meal and a little shopping, we began the return to Bengaluru. It was about 6.00 pm when we started back and took us a little longer during the return journey since we had to take another long break near Krishnagiri for dinner at Alps Residency and also to appease my kid who had become quite agitated by now. We were able to resume only after putting him to sleep. By the time we reached home, the watch showed 11.00 pm and we all crashed into bed immediately.

The trip overall was enjoyed by everyone. The hospitality of the folks at Lake Forest only added to the experience. For those who don’t have to travel too far as tour destination, Yercaud is definitely a refreshing change, amidst the daily grind.

That’s me and my Vento TSI

Yercaud in December-50_wp_20141211_026_adb1_1.jpg

Yercaud in December-51_img_5661.jpg

End.

Last edited by just4wheels : 3rd January 2015 at 23:39. Reason: Still editing content
just4wheels is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 13:06   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section) to Travelogues. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 14:11   #5
BHPian

amazing pictures. just serene untouched beauty. Was the entire stretch of road in such a good conditions as seen in the pictures? Also, is it a pet friendly place?
Dieselritzer is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 14:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

First thing I thought was nice roads! Good photos. Always good to read a report on Yercaud - my sis studied there.
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 19:36   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
amazing pictures. just serene untouched beauty. Was the entire stretch of road in such a good conditions as seen in the pictures? Also, is it a pet friendly place?
Thanks Dieselritzer. Yes. The roads are fantastic through the entire stretch, as a matter of fact. My elation partly as result of being a resident of Bengaluru, if you understand what I mean. They do allow pets, but I don't think they have any special provision for pets, if that's what you were interested. There may be additional charge, but not sure how much though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
First thing I thought was nice roads! Good photos. Always good to read a report on Yercaud - my sis studied there.
Thanks naveenroy. Yercaud is truly a cool place to be.
just4wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2015, 19:02   #8
BHPian

Feels nostalgic to see Yercaud. I studied there for 6 years. Most of the time the roads in Yercaud are maintained in good shape since tourism has picked up.
There's also resort named G Range which I stayed in Jan 14 which should be relatively cheaper than Club Mahindra but as good as Club Mahindra. Feb. Best time to visit Yercaud is between Dec - Feb. Gets hotter during summer.

Attaching a pic for some one who wants to visit the resort
Attached Thumbnails
Yercaud in December-optimizedresort.jpeg  

ramb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2015, 22:02   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramb View Post
Feels nostalgic to see Yercaud. I studied there for 6 years. Most of the time the roads in Yercaud are maintained in good shape since tourism has picked up.
There's also resort named G Range which I stayed in Jan 14 which should be relatively cheaper than Club Mahindra but as good as Club Mahindra. Feb. Best time to visit Yercaud is between Dec - Feb. Gets hotter during summer.

Attaching a pic for some one who wants to visit the resort
Ah! Good to know we visited in the right season. I was actually thinking that it might be a good place to chill in the summers. Would we miss the mist and cloudy environment around the view points in summer then?
just4wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2015, 12:41   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4wheels View Post
Ah! Good to know we visited in the right season. I was actually thinking that it might be a good place to chill in the summers. Would we miss the mist and cloudy environment around the view points in summer then?
In Summer you wont have mist nor any cloudy environment in Yercaud plus its crowded in Summer.
Another winter get away near Salem is Kolli hills. You can try that too, but highly recommended for a days trip.
ramb is offline   Reply With Quote