Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 8th January 2015, 20:02   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Mesmerizing Sandakphu - In a Mahindra Thar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
The white Thar is looking awesome and it confirms that I made the right choice going for a white Thar as well. I might just steal a few of your pictures as both our Thars look almost identical... just joking
It seems that we were both in the same part of the country at one point.
Thanks. Was half expecting to run into you in the hills. Its after all some of your favorite roads
megazoid is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2015, 20:07   #17
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic Travelogue, not rating the 5 stars because it has already reached there!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Magazoid
I am sure that you must have experienced the initial dismissal of your Thar and all other 4WD vehicles as "absolute rubbish" by the Land Rover guys out there. However, what were their final comments? I remember one quite senior guy who was initially very critical, actually bowed down before my test vehicle when I overtook him between two hair pin bends and then disappeared in a blinding cloud of dust. I gave him the vehicle to drive, he loved it. He gave me a present, a box containing some lovely local flavor tea. They did some local "puja" on my vehicle to wish it the best of luck. I felt so nice, these guys are decent folk, I have very good regard for them, we just need to respect their point of view also. All this happened in 2009. Then I drove all the way back from Kolkata to Delhi and then back to Nasik.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Dhabhar Sir, With due respects, its not only Landrovers that go there, there are quite a few Marshalls, 4wd Pickups that visit those places. Even Most of the Landrovers have Mahindra DI engines.

And even on this forum, our beloved Blackpearl was the first to go there, that too in utter casualness in his Bolero, followed by his friend (with him) in another Bolero.

Each time the Landrover owners express their views and I am sure, they will continue to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazoid View Post
Rishop was an extremely enchanting place, great solitude and good for long walks and far away from crowds.
Although Rishop is an extremely enchanting place, but did you find solitude there? I thought the small locality has become too crowded with Hotels, Resorts and what not, and all within spitting distance of each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by droolingvoyager View Post

Sir, a question best answered by you only, can a scorpio 4WD do this terrain? This is particularly important to me to know what I shouldnt try with my 4WD.
Guess what, a Scorpio 4WD has already done the terrain!!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...territory.html (Sandakphu Phalut Kolakham - Unleashing a Mahindra Scorpio on Land Rover territory)
1100D is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2015, 22:48   #18
BHPian

Mesmerizing Sandakphu - In a Mahindra Thar-dsc_0024.jpg

Mt Narsing

Mesmerizing Sandakphu - In a Mahindra Thar-dsc_0050.jpg

Pemayangtse Monastery from Rabdentse ruins

Mesmerizing Sandakphu - In a Mahindra Thar-dsc_0232.jpg

Rabdantse chortens

Mesmerizing Sandakphu - In a Mahindra Thar-dsc_0691.jpg

Near Purnea

Mesmerizing Sandakphu - In a Mahindra Thar-dsc_0366.jpg

A monk painting at Tashiding Monastery

Mesmerizing Sandakphu - In a Mahindra Thar-dsc_0263.jpg

On the way to Dubdi Monastery
Old 8th January 2015, 23:11   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Although Rishop is an extremely enchanting place, but did you find solitude there? I thought the small locality has become too crowded with Hotels, Resorts and what not, and all within spitting distance of each other.
Actually, I used to religiously avoid the staying places and go for walks in the woods till Rishop during my three day stay from Algarah. I found the area very quiet and before the X'mas crowd arrived I had scooted from Kalimpong further north. Maybe I was lucky to see it that way.
megazoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2015, 23:21   #20
BHPian

These are awesome shots! An amazing destination. How many days did it take for your entire trip? I recall reading you started on 12th Dec, but I may have missed the part of when you returned. I don't think I would be able to do a Bengaluru to Sandakphu although I stay in Bengaluru myself. Would be interested in doing something shorter someday for sure.
just4wheels is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2015, 23:24   #21
Senior - BHPian

Maybe a silly question, but are full size SUVs like Fortuner, Pajero Sports, Endy suitable for roads such as those in your video (to Zero Point) - from a point of view of girth and turning radius?
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2015, 23:39   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Maybe a silly question, but are full size SUVs like Fortuner, Pajero Sports, Endy suitable for roads such as those in your video (to Zero Point) - from a point of view of girth and turning radius?
Yes. Perfectly possible in Sikkim.
megazoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2015, 10:47   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Fantastic Travelogue, not rating the 5 stars because it has already reached there!!

Dear Dhabhar Sir, With due respects, its not only Landrovers that go there, there are quite a few Marshalls, 4wd Pickups that visit those places. Even Most of the Landrovers have Mahindra DI engines.

And even on this forum, our beloved Blackpearl was the first to go there, that too in utter casualness in his Bolero, followed by his friend (with him) in another Bolero.

Each time the Landrover owners express their views and I am sure, they will continue to do that.

Guess what, a Scorpio 4WD has already done the terrain!!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...territory.html (Sandakphu Phalut Kolakham - Unleashing a Mahindra Scorpio on Land Rover territory)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Wow what a trip! The pictures are awesome and the narration crisp, rated 5 stars! The white Thar is looking awesome and it confirms that I made the right choice going for a white Thar as well. I might just steal a few of your pictures as both our Thars look almost identical... just joking
It seems that we were both in the same part of the country at one point, only that my trip was a sedate one and not of the adventurous type as yours. Good that you took the Thar to Sandakpur as that is the only place that I feel does justice to buying a 4 wheel drive vehicle.

1100D and BlackPearl
: I was expecting a reply from both of you champs in this regard! How can a story related to Sandakphu be complete without your inputs.

Megazoid : Extremely beautiful travelogue. I am just back from a West Sikkim trip in my EON. But my coverage was the Bermiok Stretch (Hee-Kaluk-Rinchenpong) with a touch over of Peling. In my case, the unavailability of 4X4 nor even a 1 litre engine perhaps made the trip more adventurous. Will share a TLog soon.
gearhead_mait is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2015, 12:10   #24
Senior - BHPian

Looking at the title thought that this is probably the new travelogue by BlackPearl in his new Mahindra acquisition as Sandakphu has been more or less a 'patented' place for him ! Really nice travelogue @megazoid and driving the vehicle all the way from Bangalore is an achievement in itself. Thoroughly enjoyed it
Kandisa is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2015, 12:25   #25
BHPian

Red face Re: Mesmerizing Sandakphu - In a Mahindra Thar

What a mesmerizing TLog megazoid! Didn't take off my eyes till i read all the dope and that video completely blew me away. My boss came around my seat and was shocked to see me sunk into this. I was least bothered and told him that I will see him in his cabin soon for whatever he came in for

I envy you guys for going on such fantastic road trips. And I was feeling great that I went on Mumbai-Goa

Cheers guys. Someday I would too share such a story of mine. I have just started.

P.S. Particularly liked the part of getting the better half travel to rendezvous point directly

Last edited by GTO : 9th January 2015 at 12:27. Reason: Please don't use more than 2 smilies / post. Thanks
1lokesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2015, 13:03   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4wheels View Post
I recall reading you started on 12th Dec, but I may have missed the part of when you returned. I don't think I would be able to do a Bengaluru to Sandakphu although I stay in Bengaluru myself. Would be interested in doing something shorter someday for sure.
You did not miss anything. In the travelogue I have not managed to return yet :-) Got back by the 4th of Jan to Software City.
Old 9th January 2015, 13:56   #27
BHPian

Wonderful pictures buddy! Thanks for posting the travelog.

Its really refreshing to see such offbeat places and also that we have started taking more long distance road trips. It surely requires a lot of discipline to drive alone for so many days without even a music player.

India has so much to offer for the 'traveler', sadly most of us end up being 'tourists' and make a mess of the place, both in terms of litter and ambiance.

Do post more pictures of the Thar, I have already used one of them as a desktop wallpaper! Thanks.

This travelog will be an inspiration for many.
trek is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2015, 20:31   #28
BHPian

Awesome travelogue megazoid.
More than all that, amazing photos.

You have straight away shot this place to the top of the charts on my wishlist.
If my wife scolds me for breaking my savings to wage a trip to this place, the blame will rest squarely on you!
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2015, 13:51   #29
BHPian

WOW!!!! Beautiful clicks.. Very crisp narration.You have sold Sikkim to me. Hopefully will trying going there this year.

The that looks awesome good to know it conquered whatever was thrown to it.
alfaromeo1984 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2015, 16:13   #30
BHPian

Awesome Tlog, deserving 5 stars. Its quiet difficult driving alone and clicking photographs of professional quality, specially on a route as this one but you have excelled. Your photographs are cherries on the cake.
Avoiding the Vikramshila setu traffic can be done if you time the approach around 9pm. We do this regularly while going to Sikkim and driving without the traffic is very peaceful.
Sikkim is mesmerizing and with more passing days as this epic journey of yours sink in, you will long to come back.
himadrimondal is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote