Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 12th January 2015, 23:55   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Driving & Camping: Himalayan Escape in an Audi Q5 & Mahindra Thar

Thanks for cataloguing the journey so well Nev, its really well written and captures the trip in its entirety! After all the rugged driving my memory of the exact route we took was already becoming foggy.

Some of the roads are so bad that in Pangi for close to 48 hour we did not see a single passenger vehicle, and theres a thick layer of fine dust all over the roads. The army trucks and heavy vehicles stir it up nicely, one needs to keep a large distance between vehicles to properly see the road (and not clog up your air filter).

I have uploaded a picture of the Thar in the Pangi valley post the chaap raasta to illustrate the dusty conditions. Am also adding some of the pictures taken from my camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Driving & Camping: Himalayan Escape in an Audi Q5 & Mahindra Thar-gopr6006-copy.jpg  

Driving & Camping: Himalayan Escape in an Audi Q5 & Mahindra Thar-img_8593.jpg  

Driving & Camping: Himalayan Escape in an Audi Q5 & Mahindra Thar-img_8616.jpg  

Driving & Camping: Himalayan Escape in an Audi Q5 & Mahindra Thar-img_8640.jpg  

Driving & Camping: Himalayan Escape in an Audi Q5 & Mahindra Thar-img_8648.jpg  

Driving & Camping: Himalayan Escape in an Audi Q5 & Mahindra Thar-img_8588.jpg  

HillyThar is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2015, 10:56   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillyThar View Post
Thanks for cataloguing the journey so well Nev, its really well written and captures the trip in its entirety! After all the rugged driving my memory of the exact route we took was already becoming foggy.
Thanks Kartik.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillyThar View Post
I have uploaded a picture of the Thar in the Pangi valley post the chaap raasta to illustrate the dusty conditions. Am also adding some of the pictures taken from my camera.
Nice snaps of the White Thar, do upload some more if you can.
satan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2015, 11:01   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi_kapoor View Post
I could not get any information on Cheri Bugalow, would request if you or others can share info. Thanks.
Hi Rishi, Cheri is approx. 20 kms from Khillar towards Updaipur. The bungalow is situated around a left corner as you enter the village and it overlooks the river.
Old 13th January 2015, 11:25   #19
BHPian

Adding one more video that captures the actual drive thru the Chaap rasta

satan is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2015, 13:37   #20
BHPian

An awesome one satan! Btw i see that you met THE Simranjit Singh Maan! Any stories to share there?
P.s. The other sikh gentleman i assume is Mr. Teddy?
Mcroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2015, 14:05   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcroadster View Post
An awesome one satan! Btw i see that you met THE Simranjit Singh Maan! Any stories to share there?
P.s. The other sikh gentleman i assume is Mr. Teddy?
That's right. Teddy's Lodge is next to Mr Maan's bungalow and infact they are related.
Old 14th January 2015, 10:18   #22
BANNED

What a mesmerizing travelogue and breathtaking roads. I scrolled on these pages many a times to understand how adventurous one can be your pictures talks everything in itself. I will definitely like to do such a great expedition if i have such like minded fellows. keep it up
ruchirtnt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2015, 11:58   #23
Senior - BHPian

Excellent post! Great to see a luxury SUV and our own Thar driving over some real rough roads. Great photos and videos.
vasoo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2015, 13:13   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Cheri rest house is about 25 back breaking kilometers from Killar towards Udaipur / keylong. Adding a few pictures from Udaipur site. The last picture is from Cheri PWD rest house. We also pitched tents rather than sleep inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Driving & Camping: Himalayan Escape in an Audi Q5 & Mahindra Thar-dscn0553.jpg  

Driving & Camping: Himalayan Escape in an Audi Q5 & Mahindra Thar-dscn0563.jpg  

Attached Images

sudev is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2015, 13:19   #25
BHPian

What an amazing thread - really enjoyed reading it. Thanks for posting!
ajitkommini is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2015, 16:56   #26
BHPian

Hi Satan,

That was an awesome, detailed and brilliant travelogue!! The pictures are colorful and lively and speak for themselves.. The drive must be wonderful!!
embee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2015, 09:16   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Cheri rest house is about 25 back breaking kilometers from Killar towards Udaipur / keylong. Adding a few pictures from Udaipur site. The last picture is from Cheri PWD rest house. We also pitched tents rather than sleep inside.
Yes. This is the same place where felt we should camp a km or so outside Udaipur. Also at Cheri did the watchman charge you anything for using their lawn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
What a mesmerizing travelogue and breathtaking roads. I scrolled on these pages many a times to understand how adventurous one can be your pictures talks everything in itself. I will definitely like to do such a great expedition if i have such like minded fellows. keep it up
Thanks Ruchir. Himachal is very accessible most of the year so you should just pick a place, block dates and do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
Hi Satan,

That was an awesome, detailed and brilliant travelogue!! The pictures are colorful and lively and speak for themselves.. The drive must be wonderful!!
Thanks embee. The drive was indeed stunning. There is so much to see there that you could easily spend a more than a month in just that valley.
satan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2015, 13:34   #28
BHPian

Hey Satan

Great TL. Loved every bit of your writing and narration of the place.

Good to see the camping gear.

One small ask - the stove that you have - where do you get the refill of the gas? I have the same stove but the gas is no longer available from the place in Bangalore where I bought it from.

I loved your Thar - and the hard top plus the bumper look amazing.

Loved the pictures as well. You chose the right spots to take pictures and get good composition.

Cheers

Rajain
Rajain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2015, 13:50   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post
Hey Satan

Great TL. Loved every bit of your writing and narration of the place.

Good to see the camping gear.

One small ask - the stove that you have - where do you get the refill of the gas? I have the same stove but the gas is no longer available from the place in Bangalore where I bought it from.

I loved your Thar - and the hard top plus the bumper look amazing.

Loved the pictures as well. You chose the right spots to take pictures and get good composition.

Cheers

Rajain
Thanks Rajain. We usually purchase the refill for the gas cylinder in Manali. There's the mountaineering store in the narrow bylane leading up from the SBI ATM in the market that sells these amongst a lot of other trekking and camping equipment.

The Thar belongs to Himalayan man Kartik and yes it is indeed very well done up.
satan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2015, 16:29   #30
BHPian

Default Re: Himalayan escape Sep 2014 - Driving + Camping - Pangi Valley, Sach Pass & Chaap Rast

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan View Post
Day 7: Manall to IXC
After an uneventful and boring drive back to Chandigarh we boarded the Indigo flight back to Bombay where work, pollution and a fast body clock awaited us. Thanks for reading!! Neville
I can relate to what you mean when you say the above! Having been to Ladakh for 2 weeks in September last year - one easily relates to 'work, pollution and a fast body clock'.

But you do take these breaks - which I would say keeps you connected with nature.

Thanks again for the write up and the pictures.

Keep exploring, keep sharing and keep inspiring the rest of us
Traveller Nayak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote