Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 14th August 2006, 17:58   #1
Senior - BHPian
Default Bangalore- Murudeshwar with pics

With the long weekend coming up and for not planning well in advance, my trying to get a booking for Kgudi 2 days in advance was totally futile. So on a hunch, asked my wife to apply for leave on friday (No such hassles for me) so we could possibly try to beat the crowd, but the destination still was not decided. On a hnch I called RNS residency, Murudeshwar and to my surprise they indeed had rooms available and we were most welcome to stay for 2 nights.
About Murudeshwar : It is roughly 490 kms from bangalore if you take the Bangalore-honnavar road passing through Shimoga. It is an outcrop of land extending to the sea and the RNS group has built a lovely hotel on the sea, almost every room has a balcony which opens out onto the sea.
The main attraction other than the beach is the shiva temple which has a shivling supposed to be part of a shivling which shattered and spread to four different directions during ravana's time.

RNS Residency Murudeshwar
The journey : Started on the dot at 4 A.M. on Friday morning, took the ring road from hebbal flyover (i stay in yelahanka), hit tumkur road and was at the Tumkur Bye-pass by 5.15. From the bye-pass took the road which goes left towards tiptur, breakfast at Kamat at Tiptur cos we were slightly hungry, but the place had only idly at that hour (approx 6.15 AM), tiptur onwards to Arasikere, Kadur, Birur, Tarikere, Bhadravati and then Shimoga at about 9.15 AM. Stopped at a place called Meenakshi Bhavan inside Shimoga Town for a proper breakfast, this is supposed to be a popular place. Left Shimoga by 10 AM, and took the road to Sagar, this is one of the best roads I have driven, it takes you through teak and bamboo forests and condition of the road is excellent. reached sagar and continued on to Jog falls which is about 30 kms from Sagar. Was in Jog falls by 11.30, it was raining and the mist kept covering the falls and the water flow was not all that great.
Left Jog falls at 12, and took the Honnavar road, this again is a dream road to drive on, hardly any traffic and the scenery is breathtaking, here are some pics of the road

Honnavar Rd One of many such falls one more

The Sharavati Valley
This road takes you to Honnavar where you meet the Mangalore-Goa highway, here we go left to Murudeshwar whic is about 25kms away. It started pouring madly once we reached Honnavar, visibility became very bad and to top it all the beautiful highway suddenly has huge potholes which are very difficult to spot in the blinding rain. finaly gt to Murudeshwar at 1.45, about an hour later than I thought it would take on account of the rain delay.some pics of Murudeshwar:

The Beach ,Statue of Shiva(Note only 3 hands),waves crashing below room

murudeshwar early morning and at dusk.

Woke up late on saturday morning and during breakfast decided to visit Gokarna which is about 90kms away, this was mainly due to the fact that it kept raining on and off which made going to the beach impossible. Gokarna is on the Mangalore-Goa road, so we were back at honnavar and onward towards Karwar, about 36kms away from Karwar we need to turn left to reach Gokarna, this can easily be missed as there is only a small board pointing the way. after the visit to the Krishna temple we headed out to OM beach, at Gokarna you will be approached by lots of priests as soon as you drive into town, all of them will offer to do puja for as less as ten bucks. Om beach is a little away and you have to drive up a hill for about 4kms and the view from the hill is beautiful. OM beach as the name implies is a beach shaped like the figure om, unfortunately could not get pics from top of the hill again because of the rain. You have to walk down a flight of steps and the last part on slippery rocks to get to a small part of the beach.

At OM beach
returned to Murudeshwar again in rains and could finally go out on to the beach in the evening because the rain gods gave us some respite.
Left back for home at 5 AM on sunday morning, again after reaching Honnavar, the rains came down upon us with a ferocity I have never experienced, I was crawling at 20 kmph in the dark and amost went off the road on a couple of ocassions, thankfully daylight brought an end to our misery in terms of stoppage of rain and increase in visibility.

At a place called Gersoppa, found the first open chai shop and stopped for a hot cuppa, here we met some cops who were out in the rain all night warning villagers to move to safer ground because water had been released from the gersoppa dam, they asked us to visit the dam to check it out, unfortunately photography was strictly prohibited, but the water roaring out of the dam was a sight to behold.

at Gersoppa chai stall Optra in the hills
We also were told that water had been released at jog falls as well, so we decided to go again on the way and one can make out the difference in the flow of water before and after water had been released from this pic
Jog falls in full splendour at 8 AM.
After jog we headed back to sagar for some breakfast at a very crowded small hotel, but the food was amazing.
The drive back from sagar to bangalore was uneventful but for a small but entertaining competition from a santro who was insistent on beating the optra, so just after shimoga i stopped for a loo break and allowed him to go ahead. lunch at A1 plaza just after Tumkur and was back home by 3.30 PM.

Total Distance Travelled : 1160 kms
Amount of fuel : approx 80 lts
Fuel consumption : 14.5 kms to a lt
No. of people : 3 adults
The car : OPTRA
The ride : Amazing
Top speed : 130kmph (I'm a slow driver)
Road condition : excellent till Tarikere, gets bad to worse till
Bhadravati, Bhadravati to Shimoga not so
bad, Shimoga to Sagar excellent, Sagar to Honnavar again very good, Honnavar to Murudeshwar bad in parts.
Lukeskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2006, 04:43   #2

Excellent Story Boarding with some good snaps. Great to see some unspoilt scenery in the western ghats of Karnataka.
NRKUMAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2006, 07:37   #3

Hey good post and nice pics, you seem to have covered ground really fast especially the tumkur tiptur bit, when ever I drove that way (blore to tiptur) i took minimum 3 hours every time.. have the roads been rebuilt or something.

Last edited by kiranpashtakar : 15th August 2006 at 07:39.
kiranpashtakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2006, 10:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

Awesum , i also had been to murdeshwar . Great place .
BTW how much did you pay for the room at RNS . Do post phone nos if possible.
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2006, 18:19   #5

Excellent writeup with pics to support the written word. Will look fwd to many more such write-ups from you. Thank you for the lovely write-up.
pravin_sn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2006, 20:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

Excellant review also the pictures, I love these places since I born and braught up in Costal Karanataka. Really amazing places one can see in costal districts, I have visited every place with my family.

ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 01:43   #7
Default Re: Bangalore- Murudeshwar with pics

Hi, I am plannign for Bangalore Murudeshwar trip. does anyone offer tour package for this?
Deepalivg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 15:24   #8
Senior - BHPian
Default Re: Bangalore- Murudeshwar with pics

Originally Posted by Deepalivg View Post
Hi, I am plannign for Bangalore Murudeshwar trip. does anyone offer tour package for this?
KSTDC has packages, it's mostly a combination of temples package.
You can check here
Temples Of Karnataka - piligrimage package tour by KSTDC - SCT in KSTDC
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote