Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2015, 07:30   #31
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: mum,lko,kolkata
Posts: 704
Thanked: 673 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (14)
Default Re: Naukuchiatal: Far from the crowd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly8843 View Post
Absolutely bang on Sir ! A few other houses like Kewpies Kitchen or Bohemian which was started by Joy Bannerjee (previously Head Chef at Oh! Calcutta) also have unparallal culinary experiance.
Hello Fly8843,

You see, my Kolkata visits are not as frequent as I would like them to be, at the most twice a year, and usually confined to running around and clearing up pending issues. So I am not abreast of the latest developments on the gourmet front there. This is possibly a moronic question but are 'Kewpies' and 'Bohemian' new eating houses in Kolkata or is it that I am lagging behind in my G.K. ?

'Suruchi' is on Elliot Road, in a mildly run-down neighborhood, near Park Street. I believe it was originally started by a women's organization working on behalf of women in distress. The ambiance and decor is nothing to write home about, but the food...Ah! If you are addicted to authentic Bengali cuisine, this is the place. Prices are reasonable, but one has to go early for lunch (before 1) otherwise the service deteriorates rapidly (cold food, slack service). And lunch is the thing, not other meals, as we were told by the staff.
Thanks and best regards,
Shashanka
shashanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2015, 05:30   #32
BHPian
 
D33-PAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 834
Thanked: 844 Times
Default Re: Naukuchiatal: Far from the crowd

shashanka,

thanks so much for the travelogue.

Can you let me know what your thoughts on the idea of kayaking in the waters there ?
D33-PAC is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2015, 13:11   #33
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: mum,lko,kolkata
Posts: 704
Thanked: 673 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (14)
Default Re: Naukuchiatal: Far from the crowd

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
shashanka,

thanks so much for the travelogue.

Can you let me know what your thoughts on the idea of kayaking in the waters there ?

Hello D33-PAC.

Let me be honest and say that I have zero interest in river-rapids sport of the kayaking and white-water-rafting kind - both of which are popular around Rishikesh and further downstream.

There are several outfits in and around the region who organize the sport for visitors and tourists, including Uttaranchal Tourism, which offers diverse sports -Mountain biking, Hiking trips, Bunjee jumping, Rock climbing, Rappeling, Kayaking and so on. Details are available at their website on Google.

Speaking for myself, I've spent the better part of the last 40 years at sea and have survived :

a) a cyclone - M.V."Sonavati", which went down off Vizag on 8th Dec 1973, where I was the 5th Engr(the junior-most) on board and we survived on the lifeboat for 44 hours in the Indian Ocean before being picked up. Fifteen of my shipmates (out of a total complement of 38) perished in the disaster.

b) a grounding - M.V. "Chhada Naree" on the Pratas Coral Reefs in the South China Sea between Hongkong and Taiwan in Nov 1994. I was the Chief Eng. on that occasion and fortunately there were no casualties. We were on the reef for 22 days before salvage operations were successful and we managed to reach Hongkong for repairs under our own steam - over 30 tons of keel plating had to be renewed.

I can safely say that I have had enough close encounters (of the unwanted kind) with the ocean spirits to last me a lifetime!

Best regards,
Shashanka
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2015, 15:47   #34
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 43
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: Naukuchiatal: Far from the crowd

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Hello Digitalnirvana,
As we always say, its wonderful hearing from other dog lovers. When we get together, I've often found folks who are standing around (who may not be as devoted to the species) getting a glazed look in their eyes before politely shuffling off ! But that is life - in a perfect world of course, there would only be dog lovers everywhere! And, I have the sneaking suspicion, that in such circumstances, there would probably be more peace and warmth to spread around!

How old is your retriever? I find them to be extraordinarily well-behaved folks and with a splendidly gregarious and sociable nature. Darth's best friend at one time was Gleigh, a neighbour's golden retriever. Both would have a rollicking time together, running in the park in front of our house in Lucknow. And all went well, till the day Daisy arrived on the scene. As you have seen, she was a perfectly gorgeous creature and also a born flirt! Poor Gleigh did not remain immune to her charms - and after one major spat with Darth, the friendship was in tatters. I knew that day, that eternal triangles are not confined to humans alone!

As I have mentioned in the thread, we lost both Daisy and Darth a few years ago (to advancing age), and heart-breaking though the time was, particularly for my wife, we decided to follow James Herriot's advice and soon found ourselves another friend, instead of grieving in silence. And that is how Kluso, and later Pearl, entered our lives.
Hi Shashank,

Sorry for replying late, was traveling. Ours is nearing two now, and she goes by the name Cherry. Goldens, or for that matter any dog is a treat to be with, as they truly love unconditionally. As they say, to you a dog is but a part of your world, but to the dog you are their whole world. Furry bundles of joy that sadly pass too soon
digitalnirvana is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2015, 20:17   #35
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: mum,lko,kolkata
Posts: 704
Thanked: 673 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (14)
Default Re: Naukuchiatal: Far from the crowd

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Hi Shashank,

Sorry for replying late, was traveling. Ours is nearing two now, and she goes by the name Cherry. Goldens, or for that matter any dog is a treat to be with, as they truly love unconditionally. As they say, to you a dog is but a part of your world, but to the dog you are their whole world. Furry bundles of joy that sadly pass too soon
Hello digitalnirvana,

You nailed it! - " ....but to the dog you are their whole world". That says it all - if only we had the perception and insight to see it.
shashanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2015, 01:37   #36
Newbie
 
Fly8843's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: Naukuchiatal: Far from the crowd

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Hello Fly8843,

You see, my Kolkata visits are not as frequent as I would like them to be, at the most twice a year, and usually confined to running around and clearing up pending issues. So I am not abreast of the latest developments on the gourmet front there. This is possibly a moronic question but are 'Kewpies' and 'Bohemian' new eating houses in Kolkata or is it that I am lagging behind in my G.K. ?

'Suruchi' is on Elliot Road, in a mildly run-down neighborhood, near Park Street. I believe it was originally started by a women's organization working on behalf of women in distress. The ambiance and decor is nothing to write home about, but the food...Ah! If you are addicted to authentic Bengali cuisine, this is the place. Prices are reasonable, but one has to go early for lunch (before 1) otherwise the service deteriorates rapidly (cold food, slack service). And lunch is the thing, not other meals, as we were told by the staff.
Thanks and best regards,
Shashanka
'Kewpies' was started in 1989 and is a fine dine resturant for the bengalis since a long time. Comparitively Bohemian is a new entry and might be around 5 years in the city. I had been to Suruchi when I use to work in Kolkata and you are right in saying that its run by all Women's team. If you want, i can suggest you more Bengali eateries in Kolkata who serves very traitional Bengali cusine and can fill your tatste buds!
Fly8843 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2015, 09:07   #37
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: mum,lko,kolkata
Posts: 704
Thanked: 673 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (14)
Default Re: Naukuchiatal: Far from the crowd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly8843 View Post
'Kewpies' was started in 1989 and is a fine dine resturant for the bengalis since a long time. Comparitively Bohemian is a new entry and might be around 5 years in the city. I had been to Suruchi when I use to work in Kolkata and you are right in saying that its run by all Women's team. If you want, i can suggest you more Bengali eateries in Kolkata who serves very traitional Bengali cusine and can fill your tatste buds!
Yes,8843, that would be a great help - would love your suggestions for authentic Bengali eateries in Kolkata. Hmm..... so, despite being based at Bangalore, you have kept yourself abreast of developments at the east end of the country! But, yes, thanks a lot - the thing is, that though we have found this belated love for our native land, I feel out of touch - my last extended stay in Kolkata was in the late sixties and early seventies when I did my engineering from there. So sincere thanks once again!
shashanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2015, 16:28   #38
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Marlborough, MA/Bangalore
Posts: 281
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: Naukuchiatal: Far from the crowd

Some of you may call me rude or anti-pet, but seeing the pictures of the pets on the hotel beds gives me an uncomfortable feeling. Though I've traveled to that part of the world, never was lucky enough to stay in any of those KMVN properties.

Next time I check into a hotel room, I'm sure would be wondering which all pets have used that bed.

Regards
Rex
rex_varghese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2015, 17:39   #39
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 72
Thanked: 52 Times
Default Re: Naukuchiatal: Far from the crowd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_varghese View Post
Next time I check into a hotel room, I'm sure would be wondering which all pets have used that bed.

Regards
Rex
As long as the bed and bed sheets are cleaned, why would you be thinking about the pets that occupied it and NOT about the humans?

Apparently, humans are capable of, and do, much nastier things on a bed than compared to pets (and I am not talking about the 3 lettered word beginnig with "S" )
sandip is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2015, 17:42   #40
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 72
Thanked: 52 Times
Default Re: Naukuchiatal: Far from the crowd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_varghese View Post
Next time I check into a hotel room, I'm sure would be wondering which all pets have used that bed.

Regards
Rex
As long as the bed and bed sheets are cleaned, why would you be thinking about the pets that occupied it and NOT about the humans?

Apparently, humans are capable of, and do, much nastier things on a bed than compared to pets (and I am not talking about the 3 lettered word beginning with "S" )
sandip is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2015, 18:28   #41
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: mum,lko,kolkata
Posts: 704
Thanked: 673 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (14)
Default Re: Naukuchiatal: Far from the crowd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_varghese View Post
Some of you may call me rude or anti-pet, but seeing the pictures of the pets on the hotel beds gives me an uncomfortable feeling. Though I've traveled to that part of the world, never was lucky enough to stay in any of those KMVN properties.

Next time I check into a hotel room, I'm sure would be wondering which all pets have used that bed.

Regards
Rex
Hello Rex,

This is just to clarify the issue - when ever we take our pets, we always carry their towels, linen, pr.cooker and their utensils with us.

We also take a lot of care to ensure that they do not inconvenience the stay of other guests. We know that this entails a certain amount of hard work - but then I am sure people would do the same for other members of their family.

When I say that the hotel staff are pet friendly, it means just that! They have their own rules and regulations and abide by them.
Regards,
Shashanka
shashanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2015, 18:39   #42
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: mum,lko,kolkata
Posts: 704
Thanked: 673 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (14)
Default Re: Naukuchiatal: Far from the crowd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandip View Post
As long as the bed and bed sheets are cleaned, why would you be thinking about the pets that occupied it and NOT about the humans?

Apparently, humans are capable of, and do, much nastier things on a bed than compared to pets (and I am not talking about the 3 lettered word beginning with "S" )



Hello Sandip,

Thank you for expressing your sentiments on the issue and we appreciate it greatly.

I have tried to clarify the situation for Mr. Varghese in my reply to him and I hope that he and others with similar views will understand.

Thanks once again,
Regards,
Shashanka
shashanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2015, 22:40   #43
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Marlborough, MA/Bangalore
Posts: 281
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: Naukuchiatal: Far from the crowd

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Hello Rex,

This is just to clarify the issue - when ever we take our pets, we always carry their towels, linen, pr.cooker and their utensils with us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandip View Post
As long as the bed and bed sheets are cleaned, why would you be thinking about the pets that occupied it and NOT about the humans?
Thanks shashanka and sandip.

Regards
Rex
rex_varghese is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2015, 15:25   #44
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: mum,lko,kolkata
Posts: 704
Thanked: 673 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (14)
Default Re: Naukuchiatal: Far from the crowd

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Jim Corbett and the Corbett museum at Kaladunghi

One recurring ..........and pull up on the fore court of the KMVN TRH at Naukuchiatal, to be greeted by a smiling Tewariji.

Paradise revisited!



The best of the rest

While going through the accumulated photographs Naukuchiatal related I found some that would perhaps fit in with the others submitted earlier.

In collating them, I also found that some of the photographs were associated with interesting and/or pleasant memories of the time spent there. And for this reason I feel that I can risk adding them to the thread.
As before, they have captions attached to them which hopefully are self-explanatory. Right, here goes!
Attached Images
                     
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2015, 16:15   #45
BHPian
 
gmhossain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Kalyani, WB
Posts: 258
Thanked: 972 Times
Default Re: Naukuchiatal: Far from the crowd

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
The best of the rest

While going through the accumulated photographs Naukuchiatal related I found some that would perhaps fit in with the others submitted earlier.

...
I just finished reading your travelogue. As you have said already, it's a bit different one! After reading through your writing, I am compelled to appreciate your passion for nature, travel and of course canine! I wish you would continue to live with your passion at the fullest. I have been to Garhwal region but not in Kumaun region. Your writing is definitely tempting enough to make me visit there some day.

Best,
Golam
gmhossain is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Route Advice: Delhi - Naukuchiatal ZeroThoughts Route / Travel Queries 6 17th September 2013 09:02
Pictorial : who says 3 is a crowd?? (3 Aston Martins!) samyakmodi Super-Cars & Imports in India 12 19th May 2011 16:01
Jim Corbett & Naukuchiatal Country Road Travelogues 21 22nd August 2008 16:15
Happens in US too!!! ... Crowd kills man after car hits child DriverR Shifting gears 6 22nd June 2007 16:31
Leaving the crowd behind need4speed Street Experiences 18 26th April 2006 17:00


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:45.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks