BHPian

Default Re: Solo drive to the North East - All Seven Sisters

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Refreshing Read. Lots of information.
Thanks very much. Very kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I think if Hyundai get to know about this, they will make you the official ambassador for the Xcent .
Oh God no ! Team BHP position of being completely neutral and objective and all that !! Just joking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Superb travelogue Secretariat! I've traveled quite a bit in the North East and absolutely love the place. The beauty of some of the areas is second to none. Your photographs sure brought back many happy memories.
Thanks very much. Honoured to get kind words from an expert. Delighted to have kindled some memories - that region is a fantastic place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
Secondly you brought back so many memories of this area that I traversed,
I am touched by your words. Those days it must have been a completely different place. And for you and your colleagues who serve in difficult places with great honour, a big salute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Any particular reasons that you opted to go solo? I am sure there would have been lots of company if you had wanted.

We are already in awe of your writing and humorous tidbits here and there make your travelogue even more spicy. Absolutely loved the Myanmar episodes. Thanks for sharing the log with us and salute your persistence to carry on the long journey!
Thanks very much for your kind words. I love driving solo - to me the combination of the freedom of the car and doing whatever fancy strikes you is priceless. Trips in a group are fine too, but the special charm of a solo drive is unmatched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Excellent travelogue Secretariat! I was hooked and read it all in one sitting. But then, not much of a surprise given that you were responsible for the hilarious Confessions of a Novice Detailer (Confessions of a novice trying to imitate a Detailer!) thread

Rated 5*. Keep writing!
A million thanks. I am totally floored and honoured at such wonderful encouragement coming from a stalwart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
The road conditions for the individual stretches are so well-documented, not to mention the amount of information shared. Although i must admit i need a couple of more readings to absorb all that you have shared!
Thanks. I know that this is far too detailed a travelogue for a joyful read. I deliberately chose this option as when I was planning the trip there was really no current details on the region . For the rest of India this forum is a bible, but not for this region. I troubled wanderernomad no end and I owe it to the community to document as much as possible for others to benefit (and stop troubling wanderernomad !)

Quote:
Originally Posted by printh View Post
By the way, did you encounter any mechanical problems,punctures during the whole travel?just out of curiosity,what was the total cost for the entire trip?
Thankfully, I faced no mechanical problems at all. I had one flat tyre, but otherwise no trouble. I guess I was lucky; there certainly was some abuse meted out on the car. My confidence came from knowing that Hyundai's service centres are widespread in this region.

It cost me some Rs 50000 in petrol and some Rs 100000 in accommodation .

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
Happy NAGALAND-ING !
Indeed so !

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
amazingly well written - most impressive is that you were able to do the entire trip all by yourself. kudos and well done!
Thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
My wife is from Imphal, did her schooling from there and your photos of the Ima market will surely bring tear to her eyes when I show her this thread.
Thank you for the kind words. I hope your wife likes the Manipur section. Unlike the other states, I didn't do justice at all to the fabulous culture of Manipur as I was way too focussed on Moreh and Tamu. Its a wonderful state and culture. Would be delighted to hear your wife's comments on the travelogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
Wow! What a travelogue. Very well written and one heck of a journey. I feel embarrassed to be called myself a native of Manipur :(

I would love to tour the whole of the north east one day, though not on car, but on a bicycle.
Wow - thanks for the link. Your traveling way way beats anything I have done. Bravo. In fact twice on the trip I encountered cyclists. In both cases they were Europeans - one duo was cycling from Singapore to Netherlands and the other was doing it in the opposite direction. I am open mouthed in amazement at what they can do.

And such kind words from a native of Manipur, I am specially honoured. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
Fantastic Travelogue !! Every picture present is with a meaning.

Regarding Barhi, Folks who travel from Kolkata to Delhi often by road are quite familiar to the place since it falls on NH2 in Hazaribagh, Jharkhand. NH2 near Barhi is excellent. In fact I crossed Barhi 10 days back while coming back from Lucknow to Kolkata.
Thanks for the encouraging words. I posed the Barhi question only to rail at the uselessness of signposts. From Guwahati, do the highway guys really think that the most useful direction is to say 1000kms to Barhi ??? Ha Ha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Good to see you back and very glad to see your TL. Im still writing my TL and it should be ready in a few days.
Yours is the most eagerly anticipated T log. When I returned back, I searched all over the forum for it assuming you had got it up. You went to some amazing places in Arunachal, I did not dare. Can't wait to read your narrative and see your photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer4x4 View Post
Fantastic trip mate. While we did not meet when you were here, was tracking your trip and while discussing it with wanderernomad when you were already in Mechuka, we realised that you have driven down solo. My reaction? Another one from the nutty tribe...

Great details that you have captured here. It'd be of great help to many Tbhpians who'd like to explore this part of the world.

Oh, btw, you could have buzzed me while here in Guwahati, could have caught up with you as you spent 2 days in Guwahati.
Hey thanks. Yes, member of the nutty tribe indeed I should have caught up with you, but I am acutely conscious of how everybody visiting the region piles on to you. Wanted to spare you the agony of catering to one more of the ignorant tribe !! Seriously, my loss at not catching up with you. Next time, for sure.
Secretariat is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2015, 21:44   #32
JD1
BHPian

What an awesome journey and an awesome travelogue. I actually read your short version in the Xcent thread and came back here to read the full version and I had to read it from start to finish in one go! Thanks for sharing. I feel closer to North East states after reading your travelogue.
Which camera did you use?
JD1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2015, 21:48   #33
BANNED

Fantastic travelogue of the North East! I have toured the region twice but not on a self-drive. I hope to do this trip some day, so this will come in very handy.
gsurya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2015, 22:14   #34
BHPian

Thats a great job.
High on detail. It has fuelled my dream of touring the North East.

Thank you sharing this

Always had a gypsy on my mind, but you have showed that even a sedan could do it.
krichared is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2015, 23:50   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Superb travelogue and will be helpful to a lot of people in future. 47 days trip! simply mind blowing. Thanks for taking the time out to write such a detailed travelogue. Rated 5 stars.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 07:38   #36
BHPian

Brilliant absolutely brilliant . 47 days of solo road trip is what most of us dream over here.
Will it be possible for you to post snapshots of google map routes. Will be even more gratefull.

Thanks for enlightening us on North East.
columbus is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 08:50   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

The Seven Sisters. It was on my radar ever since I visited Arunachal in the last quarter of 2013.
Completing a road trip it is a big thing in itself but doing it solo in a compact sedan is taking it one level higher. Hats off to you.

You are right that very few North East travelogues are on TBHP. Yours will be a trendsetter and one of the reference guides for people going around that part of the country.

Have only glanced through your travelogue which itself took 20 Minutes.
After I go back home from office today evening I will read it completely.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 26th March 2015 at 08:58.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 10:11   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post
Yours is the most eagerly anticipated T log. When I returned back, I searched all over the forum for it assuming you had got it up. You went to some amazing places in Arunachal, I did not dare. Can't wait to read your narrative and see your photos.
Buddy. I salute your courage in covering Arunachal in your Xcent.
Not that it cant be done, but it takes a lot of careful and patient driving.
I say, youve made the best of it.

My TL coming soon.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 10:45   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post
The BHPian community has gone everywhere in India and to most places in the world a million times. This is your travelogue, as much as mine.

Thank you mate for the kind words. It was a pleasure to meet you and hats off to your indomitable spirit. It is always nice to meet fellow travellers and am sure you would have done the same for me if the roles were to be reversed. Look forward to hosting you again whenever you are in neck of the woods again.
Cheers.

Last edited by Aditya : 26th March 2015 at 11:47. Reason: Fixing broken quote tag
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 18:06   #40
BHPian

Wow !!! Simply Wow, and all alone at that !! Just found this travelogue and went through it in one go, plan on a revision read tomorrow. As some one else pointed out too you have simplified the entire journey and its difficulty. I just can't get over the expanse of country you have travelled over and in a sedan !!! Hats off Sir, its a great achievement and an detailed travelogue.
You are right here are just not that many people who travel the eastern states, specially by road.Its a completely fun adventure with a pinch of trepidation thrown in.
Reading through your travelogue I am tempted to change my plans from Sikkim / Bhutan to the North East. Deserves the 5 star Rating.
Once Again great travelogue.
Manmohan.
manmohanmaan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 20:13   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Secretariat,

Thanks for sharing your travelogue. I did enjoy reading it and I am sure lots of others enjoyed your beautifully compiled & detailed travelogue. Like everyone, I too wish to go & visit the North East, but I would like to do it in monsoons.

Unsure if any of us can compile something this huge with so many details. I am sure those many days made your job easier. Your driving too needs a mention. I wouldn't have taken my car to Guwahati from Purnia.

Thanks again. 5*****
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 20:30   #42
BHPian

I really enjoyed the ride with you! Amazing travelogue. You literally took me to another world. I wish I could manage such a long leave from work !

Rated 5 stars!
psurelia is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 21:06   #43
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hello

Absolutely stunning captures, Its been pleasant/refreshing going through your detailed Travelogue.

Seriously, Travelling alone needs a worrier heart, That too for extreme places like this.

Appreciate your share Mate.

Cheers
Josh

Last edited by joshuakeys : 26th March 2015 at 21:07. Reason: Edit
joshuakeys is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 21:28   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1 View Post
I feel closer to North East states after reading your travelogue.
Which camera did you use?
Thank you. I am a very poor photographer and don't even own a camera ! Shows in the poor quality of the photos. All the snaps were on my mobile - Xiaomi Mi3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Fantastic travelogue of the North East! I have toured the region twice but not on a self-drive. I hope to do this trip some day, so this will come in very handy.
Thanks. Its a great region to travel to as you know. The self drive gives enormous freedom and flexibility as you know too. Nice place and freedom - a great combination.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichared View Post
Thats a great job.
High on detail. It has fuelled my dream of touring the North East.

Thank you sharing this

Always had a gypsy on my mind, but you have showed that even a sedan could do it.
Thanks. Yes, any car can do it, but the Gypsy is a far better choice during the rains !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Superb travelogue and will be helpful to a lot of people in future. 47 days trip! simply mind blowing. Thanks for taking the time out to write such a detailed travelogue. Rated 5 stars.
Honoured BlackPearl. All that detail does detract from the pleasure of reading, I know, but I was keen to document as much as I could for future travellers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
Brilliant absolutely brilliant . 47 days of solo road trip is what most of us dream over here.
Will it be possible for you to post snapshots of google map routes. Will be even more grateful.
Many thanks. I'll try the google maps snapshots shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
The Seven Sisters. It was on my radar ever since I visited Arunachal in the last quarter of 2013.
Completing a road trip it is a big thing in itself but doing it solo in a compact sedan is taking it one level higher. Hats off to you.

You are right that very few North East travelogues are on TBHP. Yours will be a trendsetter and one of the reference guides for people going around that part of the country.
Very honoured at kind words from a Distinguished BHPian. I have benefited from many of your own posts, so particularly thankful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
My TL coming soon.
Waiting eagerly and will bug you until its up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Thank you mate for the kind words. It was a pleasure to meet you and hats off to your indomitable spirit. It is always nice to meet fellow travellers and am sure you would have done the same for me if the roles were to be reversed. Look forward to hosting you again whenever you are in neck of the woods again.
Cheers.
Very kind of you. It was my pleasure entirely to meet you. I will always be thankful for your going out of the way to help.

Now you simply have to post on that lovely Jeep you are restoring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manmohanmaan View Post
Reading through your travelogue I am tempted to change my plans from Sikkim / Bhutan to the North East. Deserves the 5 star Rating.
Once Again great travelogue.
Manmohan.
Many thanks. You are going to an even more beautiful place. Only demand - write your travelogue as soon as you are back !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Secretariat,

Thanks for sharing your travelogue. I did enjoy reading it and I am sure lots of others enjoyed your beautifully compiled & detailed travelogue. Like everyone, I too wish to go & visit the North East, but I would like to do it in monsoons.

Unsure if any of us can compile something this huge with so many details. I am sure those many days made your job easier. Your driving too needs a mention. I wouldn't have taken my car to Guwahati from Purnia.

Thanks again. 5*****
I am truly thankful for your reading and commenting. I relied on so much of your tips while doing the dreaded run to Siliguri through Bhagalpur. Both ways, I rolled down the windows on reaching Purnea and shouted out a thank you to you - I am not kidding. You take your car daily through Dhalkola - for that you deserve a medal ! After that Purnea to the NE during monsoons is child's play !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psurelia View Post
I really enjoyed the ride with you! Amazing travelogue. You literally took me to another world. I wish I could manage such a long leave from work !

Rated 5 stars!
Thanks very much. Demand that leave. We only have one life

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuakeys View Post
Hello

Absolutely stunning captures, Its been pleasant/refreshing going through your detailed Travelogue.

Seriously, Travelling alone needs a worrier heart, That too for extreme places like this.

Appreciate your share Mate.

Cheers
Josh
Thanks Josh. Worrier heart ?? No No. With wanderernomad in that region, nobody need worry. I really mean it. If you meant a warrior's heart, then ,while I am touched and flattered, I wish it were true !

Last edited by Secretariat : 26th March 2015 at 21:34.
Secretariat is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 23:50   #45
BHPian

Amazing travelogue.kept me glued to it. intricate details and descriptive photographs. 5 star.
jamesdraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote