Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 26th May 2015, 10:39   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Sikkim - Baptism by fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountMe91 View Post
Can you tell me if the Figo faced any GC issues during the entire trip?
None whatsoever on the hills, but be very cautious and judge the entry and exit through rough patches patiently. When in doubt, drop down and inspect. You cannot sail over rough roads like the SUVs, so progress in rough patches will have to be very slow.
mi2n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2015, 15:18   #17
BHPian

Hi mi2n,
Wonderful and well compiled travelogue with beautiful snapshots. Sikkim is an awesome place to be. Have the following questions to ask you.
How was the performance of your Ford Figo during the entire trip?
Also what navigation software/equipment did you use for your trip? Was it a smart phone or a stand-alone GPS device?
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2015, 15:28   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely travelogue and pictures mi2n. As Arav has mentioned, your figo looks cool with those stripes. Good that you took the Zoom route. The locals discourage the drivers from the plains to take that route. Did you stay at Mount Gnarsing in Ravangla?
BlackPearl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2015, 16:11   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_mait View Post
The approach road was steep as well. A snap:
Thanks for the picture. The road has seemingly further degenerated in parts. Mr.Gurung says this is due to construction work carried by his brother in the adjacent plot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
Hi mi2n,
How was the performance of your Ford Figo during the entire trip?
Also what navigation software/equipment did you use for your trip? Was it a smart phone or a stand-alone GPS device?
On the plains it was fantastic, on smooth roads, bad roads and over non-existent roads. On the steepest of curves though, it did feel underpowered, even with just the two occupants. Then again, this being my first time on the hills, maybe I need to tackle those steep hairpins differently. Really learnt a lot from this trip.

As for the navigation, I used Here Maps on a Moto E throughout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Lovely travelogue and pictures mi2n. As Arav has mentioned, your figo looks cool with those stripes. Good that you took the Zoom route. The locals discourage the drivers from the plains to take that route. Did you stay at Mount Gnarsing in Ravangla?
Thanks. Even I would advise first timers to avoid the Jorethang to Zoom climb. We did not have any reservations anywhere. About 2 kms before Ravangla, came across these cottages and lured by the surroundings, we checked in. This was the Babumosai Resort, Ravangla. Definitely not recommended in its current state though.
mi2n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2015, 01:31   #20
BHPian

Really nice travelogue mi2n. Brings back fond and nostalgic memories of my first year in Sikkim Manipal Institute of Tech. I still remember the stretch just before Melli always used to be in shambles due to frequent landslides.

This route does have really beautiful viewpoints with Teesta running all the way along with you.

As a curious question, would you have any idea if Lachen and Mangan have motorable roads at least now. The last time i planned to visited Mangan, I was shown dangerously scary road conditions snaps. Would love to return to this virtually unexplored terrain someday.
Travelator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2015, 10:29   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelator View Post
As a curious question, would you have any idea if Lachen and Mangan have motorable roads at least now. The last time i planned to visited Mangan, I was shown dangerously scary road conditions snaps. Would love to return to this virtually unexplored terrain someday.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-page-4-a.html

The above travelogue should answer all your queries and much more!
mi2n is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2015, 12:11   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
We did not have any reservations anywhere. About 2 kms before Ravangla, came across these cottages and lured by the surroundings, we checked in. This was the Babumosai Resort, Ravangla. Definitely not recommended in its current state though.
If you had told me earlier I would have advised you to stay at Mount Gnarsing in Ravangla. It is a beautiful property and you would have loved the last 1 kilometer uphill stretch. Temi gardens is a also a nice option from the feedback that I have got.
BlackPearl is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2015, 14:13   #23
BHPian

Great Travelogue mi2n. I do really appreciate the pictures, they are awesome.

Also I should mention about your Figo, as already mentioned by Samba it is looking super-cool in many of the snaps with snow capped mountains in the background.

Quote:
There are many excellent travel stories of Darjeeling and Sikkim from stalwart BHPians, doing the trip in their Jeeps and SUV's to take inspiration from. But the real booster came from Samba's travelogue in which their group conquered North Sikkim in Sedans and Hatchbacks! Then in January 2015, Bhpian gearhead_mait drove up to Kaluk in his Eon, which meant, the question whether it would be prudent to do Sikkim in a hatchback was no longer res-integra.
I was a part of that North Sikkim trip and happy to see that others are getting inspired by seeing what a small hatch or a sedan can do.
More and more people with hatches and sedans should try reach SUV territories and force them achieve more.
SouraC is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2015, 12:40   #24
BHPian

Great pictures. Looking at the peaks, I think there's great potential for tourism here if only the road/rail infrastructure can be improved.
nareshov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2015, 17:17   #25
BHPian

Adding a picture of an old fashioned road map of Sikkim which I used to mark our sojourn :

Sikkim - Baptism by fire-skm-001.jpg

and some other pieces of information left out :

1. It is illegal to drive in Sikkim in Slippers or bare-footed. I found it out the hard way. Thankfully, cops in these parts of our country are actually helpful and not a menace. It was politely brought to our notice when I got down at Namchi market area to inquire about our hotel.

2. The road from Ravangla to Namchi via Damthang has to be the most scenic by a fair margin. It is in good shape too.

3. The Mango and Litchi trees in full bloom were a sight to behold on NH34. Specially, in and around Maldah.

4. Spotted a plush BP Co-co pump with a Dhaba to my left just after leaving Bagdogra and hitting the 4 laned NH31 on my way back. Could be a probable option for dinner on a late arrival or breakfast on the way back.
mi2n is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2015, 12:32   #26
BHPian

Congratulations mi2n for successfully completing your maiden road trip to Sikkim! The journey through NH-34 itself is an achievement specially driving a hatch. Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures and crisply narrated travelogue. Wish you many more miles with your Figo

Best,
Golam
gmhossain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2015, 13:08   #27
BHPian

Quote:

and some other pieces of information left out :

1. It is illegal to drive in Sikkim in Slippers or bare-footed. I found it out the hard way. Thankfully, cops in these parts of our country are actually helpful and not a menace. It was politely brought to our notice when I got down at Namchi market area to inquire about our hotel.

2. The road from Ravangla to Namchi via Damthang has to be the most scenic by a fair margin. It is in good shape too.

3. The Mango and Litchi trees in full bloom were a sight to behold on NH34. Specially, in and around Maldah.

4. Spotted a plush BP Co-co pump with a Dhaba to my left just after leaving Bagdogra and hitting the 4 laned NH31 on my way back. Could be a probable option for dinner on a late arrival or breakfast on the way back.
Thanks for the very useful tips mi2n. Any more such useful tips would be highly appreciated. I am planning Kaluk next month.

Regards

Pawan
PapaBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2015, 15:50   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
If you had told me earlier I would have advised you to stay at Mount Gnarsing in Ravangla. It is a beautiful property and you would have loved the last 1 kilometer uphill stretch. Temi gardens is a also a nice option from the feedback that I have got.
Clouds' End "used to be" a very nice property where we stayed but I am not too sure if they are still the same. Also, they are bang on the main road and don't have any enclosed parking. But their open terrace is really nice with a pristine view of the rolling valley below.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2015, 12:51   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
Congratulations mi2n for successfully completing your maiden road trip to Sikkim! The journey through NH-34 itself is an achievement specially driving a hatch. Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures and crisply narrated travelogue. Wish you many more miles with your Figo

Best,
Golam
You Sir, deserve a special thanks for the detailed information on road conditions along NH34. It helped me immensely and will surely help others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
Thanks for the very useful tips mi2n. Any more such useful tips would be highly appreciated. I am planning Kaluk next month.

Regards

Pawan
All the best for your upcoming trip Pawan. Drive cautiously and enjoy yourselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Clouds' End "used to be" a very nice property where we stayed but I am not too sure if they are still the same. Also, they are bang on the main road and don't have any enclosed parking. But their open terrace is really nice with a pristine view of the rolling valley below.
It seems from the below picture that the property is still operational. I somehow failed to notice the actual property
Sikkim - Baptism by fire-t53.jpg

Last edited by mi2n : 31st May 2015 at 12:52.
mi2n is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2015, 16:37   #30
Senior - BHPian

Here is a pic of the property. I don't know if it will ring a bell.

Name:  CloudsEnd_2678.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  189.7 KB

That's not my car. In fact I didn't go driving there. Just a vanilla train/taxi trip.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote