Old 8th June 2015, 16:27   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Day2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
MSMM House

Design on each tile compliments the next one

Attachment 1377020

The tile making factory is a small one. There are quiet few similar factories on either side of the road. This is a fairly labor intensive way of manufacturing tiles.

Attachment 1377021
I have used some of these tiles in my home, always wanted to visit to see how they are made.Name:  redfloor.jpg
Views: 1036
Size:  12.3 KB
ssingri is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2015, 16:50   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Wanderlust Traveller : Karaikudi & Thanjavur (Tamil Nadu)

Apart from the huge and lavish houses, Karaikudi is also famous for antique items. You will get anything from big wooden doors carved heavily to crockery which would probably be a couple of hundreds of years old. It is also famous for specific variety of carpets known as "Rathna kamblam". Of course it is famous for Tiles of many types. All the antiques and used imported tiles used to be available in the antique shops of Karaikudi which is hidden treasure of this small town. There are few dedicated small lanes where these shops are located.
Karaikudi is also famous for something called "varuval seeval", made out of slices of areca nut, fried and sprinkled with sugar !!
aravindr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2015, 16:36   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Wanderlust Traveller : Karaikudi & Thanjavur (Tamil Nadu)

Quote:
Originally Posted by couswheels View Post
Am surprised that so many places can be seen around Karaikudi. Rameshwaram is hardly 3 hours from Karaikudi
Thanks. Yes, we had a plan to drive down to Rameshwaram on second day post lunch. We had been Rameshwaram earlier, so this was just for a drive and to capture pics of Pamban bridge. However, since the previous day and also next day was having drive, decided against that. Also, wanted to capture image of train crossing over Pamban bridge, I guess the timing for that is around 02:30 PM, which we would be missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
Thanks a ton for the share! Really light and relaxing read. The images of the simple yet beautiful architecture really bring out the beauty of the South India.
Thanks Tushar.
Its unfortunate that many of the mansions are in ruins. Tourism has not taken off much, it would have been a good source of income to the local community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
It will be wonderful to experience that cuisine first-hand. Stomach grumbling already
Ironically, we did not find any descent non veg restaurants in Karaikudi. Couple of places we had food were veg only options.

Bangala serves good food. It is not included in the package and is bit expensive (Rs 800 / head)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddrive View Post
Wow, excellent coverage as usual Mr.Suhas.
You have that passion in you, Wonderful.
Thanks Ddrive.
Awaiting your Kodai travelogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Everytime I see your posts, i realize yet another wonderful little gem of a place that I could've visited during my Chennai stint!
Thanks Phamilyman.
Well, on the brighter side. You are two days closer to Leh than us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landkruzer View Post
Is there any place left in south that you have not visited?
Thanks Landkruzer.
There is always new places to see and if anytime we feel all places are covered, we just need to start over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakash4u View Post
Thanjavur is my In laws place, so I have to strongly agree to the point written at the beginning.
Thanks Bakash4u. Yes, we had a tough time walking over granite paved floor of Thanjavur temple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Would the Dindigul-Nattam route still be the best or are there any other options with good road conditions ?
Thanks NPV.
Road condition wise Dindigul - Nattam route is best from Bangalore, thanks to NH 7 till Dindigul. However, if you want to consider other route you can opt for Salem - Trichy - Pudukotai - Karaikudi as suggested to me in Bangalore - Karaikudi route thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssingri View Post
I have used some of these tiles in my home, always wanted to visit to see how they are made.
There were lots of tile making factories enroute, you can very much walk in to anyone and request for a demo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindr View Post
. There are few dedicated small lanes where these shops are located.
Karaikudi is also famous for something called "varuval seeval", made out of slices of areca nut, fried and sprinkled with sugar !!
Thanks for the information.

There was a walking map given at Bangala which had listed antique shops too, we did not check it though.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote