Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 19th June 2015, 12:17   #1

Default Weekend Ride to Panchapalli Dam

Finally I can strike out creating a new thread on TBHP off my wishlist!!

I've been a really avid admirer of this website which has been my 1 stop source for solutions to all the motor world problems/queries/doubts/reviews n whatnot, and starting a thread to share some of my experiences have always been something i looked forward to.

After being rejected membership a couple of times, the mail of approval was nothing short of a joyous moment and thats when i decided to share my next trip with the fellow BHPians.

Coming back to the topic, this drive (like most of ours) was a totally unplanned one. What was supposed to be a relaxed Saturday night with some close friends (who i meet once a while now due to the corporate work life) turned out to be one of the most memorable drives and time spent with them.

Like most of our trips, we started off at 12.30 am (yes, you read it right, 12.30 midnight). 5 people on 3 bikes so that the person feeling sleepy can hand over the reins of the machine to another person, Safety first right???

Weekend Ride to Panchapalli Dam-img_20150614_0334361.jpg
-The chosen ones.

The first objective was deciding which place do we drive to. Something within 100kms was preferable to us and one of them suggested Panchapalli Dam which was around 90 kms away. The next was deciding what time do we leave as 12.30 seemed too early for a 90 km drive. But since 2 of the bikes were almost brand new with a combined mileage of just 3300kms ( 3000 odd on the 5 month old Royal Enfield Bullet and a brand new Royal Enfield Thunderbird which had only run 300 odd kms), the speed limit we'd be driving at was set to around 50-60kmph. Include a few pit stops for rest and refreshment, we thought we would reach around 4am, just when the sun starts to show its presence in the night sky.

I was thinking of booking a Thunderbird myself and this seemed like the perfect opportunity to test ride one and see how it feels. Being a tall guy of about 6ft, Thunderbird seemed like it would be my only choice for a relaxed drive and hopefully a healthy back and spine in the future.

Thus the drive started, slight drizzle didn't deter us as we rode on (me as the pillion on the Thuderbird) till we reached Hosur. The back seat is very comfortable and the back rest was an added bonus. As the roads were fairly good, so didn't get a feel of how the suspensions were.

After a short break in hosur for some Tea and biscuits, we started off again and i got to drive the brand new thumper.
Weekend Ride to Panchapalli Dam-img_20150614_0134531.jpg

i had previously test driven a 500cc Thunderbird and expected this to be a whole lot under-powered but i was really surprised when i popped the clutch and accelerated. The beast just came to life. The seating position is what got me hooked to this machine. Almost zero fatigue to sit and handle this machine which lets you drive for hours and hours. It was very difficult to stay under 50-60kmph on empty roads, but still i had to. It has an incredible torque, climbing slightly high terrains and slopes is so easy, even in the 3rd or 4th gear.

We stopped at a local dhaba to get some food into our systems and set off again with Google maps being our source for direction. But the really good roads in TN was not something that was happy with, as i wanted to test this machine's suspension as my drive to the office and back would have a lot of roads like these. And finally after 15 odd kms, my prayers were answered. A road which was covered with medium size stones for asphalting was a sight for only my sore eyes, while my friend would have been concerned :P . And this beast dint disappoint me. The handling on the tricky roads and the suspensions was really top notch. And i knew for sure that this beast can handle almost anything. What continued was a km or more of roads of the same kind. Now i really started to curse myself for wishing for pathetic roads. But the roads ended soon and the smooth roads followed. And the entire experience had convinced me to book this bike as it seemed perfect for all my requirements.

Weekend Ride to Panchapalli Dam-img_20150614_0335391.jpg
-Riders at the Dhaba 1

Weekend Ride to Panchapalli Dam-img_20150614_0335561.jpg
-Riders at the Dhaba 2

The drive continued with the friend who had been to this place earlier insisting that he didn't come thru this way and his way was more comfortable and had better roads. We passed thru miles and miles of empty, zero population areas hoping for 2 things. 1) Google maps is right and it takes us there eventually. 2) We don't get mugged in the middle of nowhere. And luckily what we had prayed for happened as we saw the village named Panchapalli. After asking directions with a few local people (who were already up at 4am!!) we finally reached at our destination.

Pitch dark at 4.30am, we could see nothing, except the beautiful silhouette of the mountains and the river from the dam, which cannot be captured by the cameras. We just sat there and relaxed ourselves and started taking pics of each other till the sun started to peep out.

Weekend Ride to Panchapalli Dam-img_20150614_0456381.jpg

Weekend Ride to Panchapalli Dam-img_20150614_0509431.jpg

Then something amazing happened. The phone camera displayed a stunning abstract of colors in the east sky which even the naked eye couldn't spot.

Weekend Ride to Panchapalli Dam-img_20150614_0520321.jpg
-Amazing isn't it?

A few clicks of just that and everyone wanted a photo of them with this amazing phenomenon. We waited till 6am till the sun finally came out in all its glory and we decided to make a move.

Weekend Ride to Panchapalli Dam-img_20150614_0531401.jpg

Weekend Ride to Panchapalli Dam-dsc00065.jpg
-The 'Damn' Dam

We found the alternative route that the friend was talking about. And though this route was a little lenghty, the bike owners didn't mind as they didnt want to go thru the same road again and endure 2kms of hell. After confirming the same with the local people, we set off back to Bangalore.

This roads was just AMAZING!!!. Incredibly good roads with agriculture and picturesque hills on either sides and a cool breeze across your face was just what we needed to re-energize ourselves. I was riding pillion again, so i quickly whipped out my phone and started taking some pictures.

Weekend Ride to Panchapalli Dam-img_20150614_0617591.jpg

Weekend Ride to Panchapalli Dam-img_20150614_0618191.jpg

Weekend Ride to Panchapalli Dam-img_20150614_0620351.jpg

Weekend Ride to Panchapalli Dam-img_20150614_0618231.jpg

Weekend Ride to Panchapalli Dam-img_20150614_0621221.jpg

Weekend Ride to Panchapalli Dam-img_20150614_0622271-1.jpg

Weekend Ride to Panchapalli Dam-img_20150614_0622371.jpg

We stopped after a while to share all the pics we had taken that night to each other and to stretch out, ready for the final installment of the drive.

We entered the Bangalore limits at around 8, stopped at a place to say our goodbyes and set off on our separate paths after planning something for the next time.

Weekend Ride to Panchapalli Dam-img_20150614_0524111.jpg

Until next time

Last edited by Ashwin3235 : 19th June 2015 at 15:21.
Ashwin3235 is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2015, 12:35   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Weekend Ride to Panchapalli Dam

Thread moved from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section) to Travelogues. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2015, 13:42   #3
BHPian

Welcome to team bhp.

Nice travelogue, however please do remember ATGATT. All the gear all the time. At the bare minimum atleast helmets, even for the pillon Rider. Of course it defenitely suits better on the rider's head rather than his hand.

The dam itself seems to have very less water?

Cheers!!

Last edited by vibbs : 20th June 2015 at 13:44.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2015, 14:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Impromptu trips make for the best memories. In my experience, planned rides always get messed up at the last minute. Good to see you got a proper test ride of the Thunderbird. My test ride lasted all of 2 kms, but it was a heart over head decision anyway.

Thanks for the share! Do let us know if you finally took the leap and booked the Thunderbird.
Tushar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2015, 15:46   #5
BHPian

A midnight ride! Really adventurous. I was reminded of impromptu trips during our college days. Next time do give us some scenic pictures as well.

Your selection of a spot just 90 km away was ideal since monotony would not set in and make you sleepy.One thing that I noticed in all of the photographs was that you and your friends were all smiles all the time.

Do remember to wear your riding gear for your safety and also because we do not want to send any wrong messages to other youngsters.
arunkumarsarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2015, 23:03   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Welcome to team bhp.

Nice travelogue, however please do remember ATGATT. All the gear all the time. At the bare minimum atleast helmets, even for the pillon Rider. Of course it defenitely suits better on the rider's head rather than his hand.

The dam itself seems to have very less water?

Cheers!!
Will make sure we remember it. Thanks for the heads up
Ashwin3235 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2015, 07:43   #7
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice travelogue, seems like you guys had loads of fun, thanks for sharing
Could you share a map of the route you took on your return leg (the one with good roads all the way) ?
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2015, 09:53   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Nice travelogue, seems like you guys had loads of fun, thanks for sharing
Could you share a map of the route you took on your return leg (the one with good roads all the way) ?
You have two to options:

1. Hosur-Denkanikottai-Panchapalli. At Denkanikottai you should ask for the road to Palacode.

2. Once at the dam, go past for some distance, cross the down stream river and cut through on to the Hosur-Dharmapuri SH.

That may be the good road which the OP would have been referring to.

@Ashwin, its always the improptu logs that you would remember.

Couple of snaps I had posted some time back

Last edited by ampere : 21st June 2015 at 17:23.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2015, 16:44   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
Impromptu trips make for the best memories. In my experience, planned rides always get messed up at the last minute. Good to see you got a proper test ride of the Thunderbird. My test ride lasted all of 2 kms, but it was a heart over head decision anyway.

Thanks for the share! Do let us know if you finally took the leap and booked the Thunderbird.
Yup. Finally took the leap and booked it today. Hopefully you'll be seeing an ownership thread too in a couple of months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You have two to options:
1. Hosur-Denkanikottai-Panchapalli. At Denkanikottai you should ask for the road to Palacode.
2. Once at the dam, go past for some distance, cross the down stream river and cut through on to the Hosur-Dharmapuri SH.
Yup. That's the route we took on the way back. Through Denkanikottai. Your pictures are amazing BTW.

Last edited by ampere : 21st June 2015 at 17:23. Reason: Merged back to back posts
Ashwin3235 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2015, 19:48   #10
BHPian

Welcome to the forum Ashwin3235.

Nice write up. The joy of an impromptu trip has it's own distinct flavour. Especially in the company of friends. Pleasantly surprised to see a Honda Activa accompany a Bullet! Beautiful and memorable memories to cherish. Wish you many more in the future!

Cheers.
Hunter3077 is offline   Reply With Quote