Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2015, 17:41   #16
Distinguished - BHPian
 
paragsachania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 4,241
Thanked: 10,486 Times
Default Re: Wanderlust Traveller: Chikmagalur (KA) in search of rain

Thanks for Sharing yet another Travelogue Suhas. Pictures were treat to the eyes, thanks to the lovely weather.

We would have bumped into each other if either I had delayed or you had advanced the trip by a week .

Few pics of thick traffic doesn't surprise me:

Look at that pic of NH48 where I can see both the lanes full of vehicles. This road doesn't witness much of freight traffic and we see so many private cars headed that way. One reason why I plan my trips a day early or at least hit the road before its 5:00AM.

So these days, I have made it a practice of starting very early on a Saturday morning and returning on Saturday night after 12 midnight. Of-course, a day trip works for my family as we don't visit as tourists but odd times/days is always super good in terms of lesser traffic.

The other pic where you are enroute Mullayanagiri and the parking at the base of the cliff - Well, its only getting worse. Like Addy mentions, you would have a gala time if you did this on a weekday.

I am sure visiting the Belavadi Temple was a lovely experience. Its an underrated location mainly because it doesn't fall into the usual circuit.

That Kadur-Chikmagalur which is now a treat for Bikers was at its worst state only 3 years before. It was one of those limited road in KA which was made in concrete and no amount of patchwork held it well.

Last edited by paragsachania : 22nd July 2015 at 17:43.
paragsachania is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2015, 17:55   #17
Distinguished - BHPian
 
mpksuhas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KA03/KL11
Posts: 2,700
Thanked: 3,270 Times
Default Re: Wanderlust Traveller: Chikmagalur (KA) in search of rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Liked the choice of places en route, the temples look so good, if not for any religious reasons, definitely on my list for their architecture.
Thanks NPV.

Yes, even I am not a religious person. However, architectural beauty of these temples are a must see irrespective of your religious inclination.

KA tourist department is sleeping giant, they spend majority of their time, energy & our money to promote just one city - Mysore.

Agreed that Mysore is a beautiful city, however KA has much more to offer apart from that. You can hardly find any promotion of the beautiful beaches of west coast, the jungles of western ghats, ruins of Hampi or beautiful Hoysala temples.

However, should give credit to them for placing that yellow KA tourism signboards on most highways.



Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
We would have bumped into each other if either I had delayed or you had advanced the trip by a week
Oh, the car photo-shoot location was around here I guess.

Quote:
Few pics of thick traffic doesn't surprise me:
Look at that pic of NH48 where I can see both the lanes full of vehicles. This road doesn't witness much of freight traffic and we see so many private cars headed that way. One reason why I plan my trips a day early or at least hit the road before its 5:00AM.
It is strange that 6 lane work on Tumkur - Chitradurga is completed, while the crowded Bangalore - Tumkur section is not even started.

Yes, even I prefer to start ~3.00 - 04:00 AM. However, that time does not go well with home minister.


Quote:
I am sure visiting the Belavadi Temple was a lovely experience. Its an underrated location mainly because it doesn't fall into the usual circuit.
That Kadur-Chikmagalur which is now a treat for Bikers was at its worst state only 3 years before. It was one of those limited road in KA which was made in concrete and no amount of patchwork held it well.
Yes. Belavadi is an underrated surprise. Someone I know hails from Kadur, even he gave a surprised look when I told about visiting Belavadi.

Since we are talking about roads and Kenneth Anderson, he mentions time taken for driving down to certain locations in many of his stories. If you compare the time taken by him some 60 years back in his car to the time we take now, you will find no much difference unfortunately.

Last edited by mpksuhas : 22nd July 2015 at 18:07.
mpksuhas is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2015, 18:09   #18
Newbie
 
Resfeber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 19
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Wanderlust Traveller: Chikmagalur (KA) in search of rain

Not that much rain eh? But it always feels good to be in Malenadu :-)

Last edited by Resfeber : 22nd July 2015 at 18:20.
Resfeber is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2015, 18:34   #19
Distinguished - BHPian
 
mpksuhas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KA03/KL11
Posts: 2,700
Thanked: 3,270 Times
Default Re: Wanderlust Traveller: Chikmagalur (KA) in search of rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resfeber View Post
Not that much rain eh? But it always feels good to be in Malenadu :-)
Yes, only one the first day it was raining. Rest of the days it stayed cloudy without rain.

However, yes Malenadu is a delight in rains. We got the taste of the same last year when we visited Agumbe (Wanderlust Traveller: Chasing the rain - Agumbe - Thirthahalli - Jog Falls).
mpksuhas is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2015, 18:51   #20
Newbie
 
Resfeber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 19
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Wanderlust Traveller: Chikmagalur (KA) in search of rain

Aah Agumbe never disappoints during monsoons and I have a weak spot for Madikeri too ;-)
Resfeber is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2015, 20:44   #21
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 156
Thanked: 223 Times
Default Re: Wanderlust Traveller: Chikmagalur (KA) in search of rain

Well written travelogue and nice pics. Reminded me of our visit in May 2015. Homestay is something one must experience in Chikmagalur. Almost all the homestays are very reasonably priced, are located in nature's lap and are way more comfortable than hotels.
Zinda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2015, 08:56   #22
BHPian
 
Dieselritzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 269
Thanked: 472 Times
Default Re: Wanderlust Traveller: Chikmagalur (KA) in search of rain

Well documented. The picture of your trees amidst the tall trees is so beautiful. The temples are so pretty but its so heartening to see its condition. The temples need some restoration. If these rock structures are not taken good care of, with time they will break. I really wish the restoration department in our country gets the required funds so they can take up such tasks.

Thanks for sharing, looking at beautiful roads surrounded by greenery is an awesome way to start the day.
Dieselritzer is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2015, 15:00   #23
Distinguished - BHPian
 
mpksuhas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KA03/KL11
Posts: 2,700
Thanked: 3,270 Times
Default Re: Wanderlust Traveller: Chikmagalur (KA) in search of rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinda View Post
located in nature's lap and are way more comfortable than hotels.
Thanks.
Yes, hotels take away the charm of the stay.

Compared to many other tourist places, Chikmagalur still is unspoiled to a greater extent.

However, there been reports of enviornment degradation due to resorts. Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
I really wish the restoration department in our country gets the required funds so they can take up such tasks.
True.
However, more than lack of funds (which should not be the case since they collect Rs. 20 for every car that enter) the major issue is modification without considering the aesthetics.

Case in point - Ishwara temple had wiring and lighting done on the beautiful carved stones. Though it is a necessity, it could have been done away from the main building.

Mullayangiri peak temple - Newly constructed temple complex is a concrete structure which looks bit out of place from the surroundings.
mpksuhas is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2015, 10:29   #24
BHPian
 
anand_hc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 78
Thanked: 43 Times
Default Re: Wanderlust Traveller: Chikmagalur (KA) in search of rain

Great narration and thanks for introducing hidden gem in Belavadi. I have been to Belur & Chickmagalur but have missed this one.

I just did my solo drive chasing rain 3 weeks back & it was fun & scary ( with all uprooted trees & never knowing when the next one will fall) . I choose Bangalore - Hasan - Belur - Chickmagalur - Sringeri - Kudremukh - Kalasa - Mudigere - Belur - Hasan - Bangalore route.

Stayed at Ghatikallu homestay which has great views.

The nature in western ghats is to be experienced.

Keep them coming..
anand_hc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2015, 11:12   #25
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 197
Thanked: 61 Times
Default Re: Thippanahalli homestay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Our stay was booked at Thippanahalli homestay
Few years back I traveled to Chikmagalur and stayed at Thippanahalli. I too was in Robusta

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ikmagalur.html (A Trip To Chikmagalur)

Cant resist the almost identical snap I took of Robusta. Hope you wont mind

rajesh1868 is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2015, 14:44   #26
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: London
Posts: 425
Thanked: 484 Times
Default Re: Wanderlust Traveller: Chikmagalur (KA) in search of rain

Fantastic Write Up Again -

I had been to Chikamagalur in the 1st week of June and had almost finalized the Thippanahalli homestay. But changed at the last moment and booked in Gonakal Homestay which has similar setup at a much better price.

How was the overall experience in the Homestay, since I found Gonakal to be extremely good.

Broken Road photo which you have taken at an hairpin bend on the way to Mulayanagiri was in much worst condition without the mud fill. I would have driven straight into it if not for the taxi driver waving furiously from the opposite direction.

Regards
chandrda is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2015, 20:15   #27
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 205
Thanked: 117 Times
Default Re: Wanderlust Traveller: Chikmagalur (KA) in search of rain

Wow!! That is a great write up. Reminds me of my Chikmagaluru trip last year July. I would rate it as one of my best trips. Loved the Mulyangiri peak and the drive up there. Kemmangundi was brilliant too. Stayed at the Gateway hotel. Route used was Bangalore -> Nelmangala -> Hassan -> Belur -> Chikmagaluru
rohanak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2015, 15:08   #28
Distinguished - BHPian
 
mpksuhas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KA03/KL11
Posts: 2,700
Thanked: 3,270 Times
Default Re: Wanderlust Traveller: Chikmagalur (KA) in search of rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
How was the overall experience in the Homestay, since I found Gonakal to be extremely good.
We had checked Gonakal also for reviews, however due to the advantage of better view of Mulyanagiri we decided to book at Tippanahalli. Home-stay was great and would recommend anyone who is visiting Chikmagalur.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanak1 View Post
Stayed at the Gateway hotel. Route used was Bangalore -> Nelmangala -> Hassan -> Belur -> Chikmagaluru
Since your stay was at Gateway hotel, you could have tried Arsikere route too just for a change. Though the route mentioned by you is faster.
mpksuhas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2015, 15:14   #29
Distinguished - BHPian
 
paragsachania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 4,241
Thanked: 10,486 Times
Default Re: Wanderlust Traveller: Chikmagalur (KA) in search of rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Since your stay was at Gateway hotel, you could have tried Arsikere route too just for a change. Though the route mentioned by you is faster.
I am sure you say this because Gateway Hotel comes first if one approaches Chikmagalur from Kadur .

However, if one sticks to the usual Hassan route also, right after Hiremagalur Town, you need not turn left but take a right here and continue on this road for 4 kms till you reach an intersection (AIT college if you head straight here). This road is Chikmagalur Bypass and remains one. Turn right here, pass the Housing Board and Forest Check post and you can see Gateway Hotel on the right.

This whole affair from Hiremagalur to Gateway Hotel is mere 10 mins drive that completely bypass Chikmagalur town.
paragsachania is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2015, 16:14   #30
Distinguished - BHPian
 
mpksuhas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KA03/KL11
Posts: 2,700
Thanked: 3,270 Times
Default Re: Wanderlust Traveller: Chikmagalur (KA) in search of rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I am sure you say this because Gateway Hotel comes first if one approaches Chikmagalur from Kadur
Yes true. Thanks for pointing it out.

I am just checking that route after your post and noticed that the town comes slightly west while coming from Belur. Till now I was of the impression that Cikmagalur - Belur route is almost a straight line.

Infact, on the way back. While coming from Tippanahalli home stay, I reached the junction marked as Hanumanthappa junction in Google maps. From there I took the straight road (MG road) only to find that it was blocked for some road work.

Due to the impression that Belur highway should come straight exactly ahead (South) from here (while I notice now that is is bit off to east) I decide to bye-pass MG road and join back ahead.

To bye-pass the closed section I took a right and decided to join back this road bit towards south. Hence I proceeded on the road marked as Indira Gandhi road and reached a small junction (I guess it is the place marked with Federal bank and Karnataka bank ATM's).

Due to which I had to proceed south still and take a left turn which I guess was somewhere around the place marked as Vijaya Nagar.

Now, I should add that I have GPS in my car However, I use it just to check the location and do not seek its help in getting direction. Since inside cities it will end up pointing you to some smaller lanes or one-way.

So, when I check the location it shows that I am heading generally in western direction, so after left turns I end up somewhere around the lake marked 'Kote Kere' taking some internal roads.
mpksuhas is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanderlust Traveller: Chasing the rain - Agumbe - Thirthahalli - Jog Falls mpksuhas Travelogues 46 10th August 2015 19:21
Rain, rain & even more rain...at Chandipur, Orissa gmhossain Travelogues 11 8th November 2014 22:46
Wanderlust traveller - 350 kms away & 700 years back - Bangalore to Hampi mpksuhas Travelogues 19 12th December 2013 12:45
Trip De Goa - Rain, More Rain traveloholic Travelogues 43 3rd November 2009 10:34


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:08.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks