Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 31st August 2015, 11:28   #16

Default Re: Chhattisgarh Chronicles

One of the best log must say!
Planning to take this trip shortly - will contact you offline for some details!
--9-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2015, 13:55   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Brilliant! Especially the Lonar lake part. I was this close to visiting but had to turn due to paucity of time. The beauty of Chitrakoot is of course not to mention.
Thanks Ampere, Lonar was a suprise for me too. Never expected so many sites to see in such a small village. Also the MTDC at Lonar was unexpectedly neat and clean and the location as usual was awesome!
nix1976in is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2015, 15:20   #18
BHPian

Excellent! What are the options to stay at Lonar apart from MTDC? Did you book MTDC in advance? Also would be helpful if you plot the bypass routes on google maps. Thanks.

Last edited by Dodge_Viper : 31st August 2015 at 15:49. Reason: adding text
Dodge_Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2015, 18:34   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnaveen21 View Post
Amazing photographs, the waterfalls looks like Niagara Falls
Thanks Naveen. Glad you liked the pics. These falls are called the Niagara of India but am told that the real deal is twice in width and height so that should be quite a sight.
Old 1st September 2015, 12:17   #20
BHPian

Very nice travelogue, beautiful photographs. Thanks for sharing.

Except Chitrakote waterfalls, remaining places are unheard of for me. Lonar crater is truly amazing.

Did you get a chance to taste "chapda" finally?
Nempuguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2015, 12:22   #21
Senior - BHPian

Nice trip and pics. I am planning one in October. But I shall be going from Calcutta, via Bhubaneswar, Srikakulam, Koraput etc.

You mentioned that on your way up, you detoured a little to avoid Jagdalpur. Why was that? Is it very jam prone or was there some other reason? I wonder if that is an option for me (avoiding Jagdalpur), since I shall be going from east. I wouldn't mind spending some time in the town. Looks interesting and has a nice rustic beauty about it.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2015, 13:43   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Beautifully detailed, Nikhil! Take a bow. Rated your thread a fully-deserved 5 stars!

You paid us a visit at just the right moment of the entire season - the Chitrakote Falls are at their majestic best during these days of the year.

The Lonar part of your journey was quite nicely described. It tempts me to give the place a visit sometime in the near future, if I can.

I am really glad you made it back safe and sound. You looked a bit tired by the time you guys left Jagdalpur. Hope you had plenty of time to rest and recharge your batteries.

Be careful with the bow. Hope you don't shoot those arrows at some haughty neighbors around you!

P.S. - did your better half like the saris from Silk Palace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Nice trip and pics. I am planning one in October. But I shall be going from Calcutta, via Bhubaneswar, Srikakulam, Koraput etc.
This route is completely safe, even at night. Just be sure to keep an eye out for loose boulders in the Salur ghats, after you cross Vizianagaram (if you come via that route).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
I wonder if that is an option for me (avoiding Jagdalpur), since I shall be going from east. I wouldn't mind spending some time in the town. Looks interesting and has a nice rustic beauty about it.
The route from Bhanpuri to Chitrakote is more preferred because it's an easy shortcut directly to Chitrakote for travellers who come from Raipur and beyond and it saves you a lot of time, which would be unnecessarily wasted if you go via Jagdalpur.

As you would be coming from Orissa, you would be coming directly into Jagdalpur. The city is 30 minutes from the Orissa border (Chandili/Dhanpunji is the border town). You can stay here and then move towards Chitrakote, which is about 40 minutes away.

Related LINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger_123 View Post
How safe is it these day to reach the place?
My in laws are in Bhilai and we have been planning a visit there for the longest time.

Just that driving there with family, somehow scares me due to the naxals.
But the falls kind of seems calling me, everytime I see a picture !!
The whole National Highway leading from Bhilai/Raipur is pretty safe. Once you reach Bhanpuri (which is about 30 minutes from Jagdalpur), turn right to head directly towards Chitrakote. Alternatively, you can come directly to Jagdalpur and then divert towards Chitrakote.

Areas around here are safe this time of the year. Please keep in touch with me (via PMs) and I can keep you regularly updated on the situation around this place.

If you are a member of HVK, you can catch my regular updates there.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 1st September 2015 at 13:54.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2015, 14:57   #23

The locations are beautiful and your words do full justice to them. Very well written travelogue. Worth every one of the five stars. Keep visiting new places, keep writing!
anirudh_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2015, 16:13   #24
BHPian

Excellent writing with superb photographs !! You have a way with words (and pictures too !). Looking forward for your next one !
luvDriving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2015, 16:17   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
Mother of perfection! I'm in disbelief because this travelogue has everything you could ask for. Great pictures, detailed and light narration and interesting interactions. Heaven for the eyes! The shots taken from inside your car rather aptly had a "divine watermark" on the bottom right and this picture got my stomach firing up like a V8

It's sad that the naxal fear keeps people from visiting these beautiful locations, but I guess the best gems are the most difficult to reach.

This bit had me on the floor! Talk about circumstances trolling you!
Thanks Tushar for the kind words. The divine watermark is a good observation makes for a great addition to the snap isnt it?

The wood fired bhajiyas were tempting but the wifey ruled it out till I could make it down and up Tirathgarh without the huffing and puffing so thats for another day!

And yes, the cops spooked me no end...trolled is the word I was looking for.

Thanks for taking out the time to read and comment on the log.
Old 1st September 2015, 17:54   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailBlazer007 View Post
Very well written log and crisp pictures.
Wonderful photography and narrative,among the best that i have read here.Made me feel as if i undertook the trip, thank you.
That multi color algae and the Baba scream swag!
Thanks buddy. Glad you liked the log. The algae certainly didn't look wonderful after the trundle down the crater rim but the Baba was certainly swag to say the least!
Old 1st September 2015, 20:10   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger_123 View Post
How safe is it these day to reach the place?
My in laws are in Bhilai and we have been planning a visit there for the longest time.

Just that driving there with family, somehow scares me due to the naxals.
But the falls kind of seems calling me, every time I see a picture !!
Hey Avenger, The place is as safe as they come all over India. Its just the baggage that the past carries which scares us but once we take the plunge and avoid the infamous places its like any other state. The people are warm and friendly and the cuisine is delicious. From Bhilai its like a weekend drive through some lovely roads. Take the plunge I say!
nix1976in is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2015, 21:31   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
The roads less traveled
Fantastic that you drove from Bombay to visit the falls. Takes passion and courage.
Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for kind words Nilanjan. More than courage I think its the traveling bug and what better way to explore than to get down and dirty. For me, the best way to travel is to backpack, walk, hike...but since that is impossible for me, the next best thing is DRIVE!
Old 1st September 2015, 22:23   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nix1976in View Post
Hey Avenger, The place is as safe as they come all over India. Its just the baggage that the past carries which scares us but once we take the plunge and avoid the infamous places its like any other state. The people are warm and friendly and the cuisine is delicious. From Bhilai its like a weekend drive through some lovely roads. Take the plunge I say!
Thanks nix1976in and RavenAvi for the info. We will be there in December during the xmas holidays, and I will definitely try to make it this time. Convincing wifey is another thing though, especially with the kids involved, but I have still time to get her motivated. I believe the government should do more to address these perceptions around such beautiful places.
Avenger_123 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2015, 01:09   #30
BHPian

Excellent travelouge nix1976in. Very nice pics and the history of temples. This is added to my must visit places in India.

Does the falls have water year round? Is it muddy because of the recent rains or always the brown color?
kraft.wagen is offline   Reply With Quote