Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 10th September 2015, 19:22   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality

#DAY VII: Chopta-Chandrashila-Saari

49. The night was super cold and we shivered inside the quilts just waiting for the dawn. I remember the cold not allowing us to get comfortable and had experienced similar situation at another place called Pangong too. A dim light proclaimed arrival of the dawn with grey overcast clouds in the sky. The agenda for the day was trek to Tungnath and a stay out there followed by trek to Chandrashila.

50. By 0800 we were on our way and the trek was fairly well defined, there are rest spots built on the entire route where the hiker can rest for a while and catch his breath. In case one is carrying a back pack then the trek does appear stressful and that was the case with me , as the track climbed continuously uphill , I started to feel the strain , my breaks started increasing frequently but I hung on determinedly , and so was the case with my companion , it was sheer grit on her part to complete the trek and I was extremely proud of her perseverance.

51. The total trek distance till the top is 5 km and one passes through thickets of Rhodendrons which by now had already bloomed and were waning , the atmosphere was a combination of heavy grey clouds , white snowed out peaks , bare rock mountains and shafts of sunlight in patches , a totally electic combination if I may say . I met many individuals’ locals from the region who do this trek very frequently every season. I found their company very refreshing indeed.

52. Tungnath ji , the highest shiva temple in the world and one of the five Panch Kedars. It is believed to be more than 1000 years old and is generally accessible only in the non-winter months .

53. It was a joyful moment of doing darshan of the Lord himself . After the darshan myself and Umeid , our guide decided to climb till Chandrashila , it was not a very strenuous trek maybe because I was not carrying the backpack. The 270 deg views of the Himalaya were there but they were hidden because of the cloud cover hence we dropped the idea of staying the night out there and decided to return back to Chopta and then press on to Saari Village itself.

54. Chandrashila literally meaning “moon rock “ is situated at a height of 4000 mts above sea level and is the summit of Tungnath. This peak provides a 270 deg view of the Himalayas and is famed for its sunrise with the peaks of Nanda Devi and Trishul clearly visible. It is impressive in its beauty .

55. The return leg was uneventful and we reached Chopta by around 4 in the evening and by 6 we were at Saari where we checked in to a delightful cottage run and settled for the night.

Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-77-himalaya-chandrashila-top_.jpg <br /> <br /> <b><i><u>FROM CHANDRASHILA TOP </u></i></b><br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-78-tungnath_.jpg <br /> <br /> <b><i><u>TUNGNATH JI</u></i></b><br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-79-himalayan-monal_.jpg <br /> <br /> <b><i><u>THE HIMALAYAN MONAL</u></i></b><br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-83-himalayan-vulture_.jpg <br /> <br /> <b><i><u>HIMALAYAN VULTURE</u></i></b><br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-85-chandrashila_.jpg <br /> <br /> <b><i><u>THE MOON ROCK</u></i></b><br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-96-chandrashila_.jpg <br /> <br /> <b><i><u>CHANDRASHILA : BELIEF INDEED</u></i></b><br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-91-chandrashila_.jpg <br /> <br /> <b><i><u>BELIEF @CHANDRASHILA TOP</u></i></b><br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-92-himalaya-chandrashila_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-93-himalaya-chandrashila_.jpg <br /> <br /> <b><i><u>AS SEEN FROM CHANDRASHILA </u></i></b><br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-97-chandrashila_.jpg <br /> <br /> <b><i><u>PRESPECTIVE</u></i></b><br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-98-chandrashila_.jpg <br /> <br /> <b><i><u>RANGE AFTER RANGE INTO THE BLUE HORIZON</u></i></b><br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-101-chandrashila-trek_.jpg <br /> <br /> <b><i><u>CHANDRASHILA TREK</u></i></b><br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-107-chandrashila-trek_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-115-tungnath_.jpg <br /> <br /> <b><i><u>PAANCH KEDAR : TUNGNATH</u></i></b><br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-116-tungnath_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-122-tungnath-trek_.jpg <br /> <br /> <b><i><u>TUNGNATH TREK </u></i></b><br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-123-tungnath-trek_.jpg <br /> <br /> <b><i><u>BEAUTY OF THE PLACE</u></i></b><br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-123tungnath-trek-ganesh-temple_.jpg <br /> <br /> <b><i><u>BELIEF </u></i></b><br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-124-tungnath-trek-ravaan-shila_.jpg <br /> <br /> <b><i><u>RAAVAN SHILA </u></i></b><br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-670-chopta-1.jpg <br /> <br /> <b><i><u>GARHWAL HIMALAYAN RANGE</u></i></b><br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-679-chopta-1.jpg <br /> <br /> <b><i><u>CHAUKHAMBA TOP</u></i></b><br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-129-chopta.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-672-chopta-alt-1.jpg   <div style=
swsumit is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2015, 19:24   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
So did you do deoriya taal trek??
I was missed this my list of main attraction we did, was trying to recall the name earlier.
hii ,

yes we stayed night out there , the post for that coming up

regards
swsumit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2015, 19:44   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swsumit View Post

53. It was a joyful moment of doing darshan of the Lord himself . After the darshan myself and Umeid , our guide decided to climb till Chandrashila ,
Beautiful pics from top!!
We missed out on Tungnath in that area .. it was December when we did our trip and all these high altitude treks get closed.

How far further up is Chandrashila from Tungnath?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swsumit View Post
hii ,

yes we stayed night out there , the post for that coming up

regards
Yepp .. I see you have reached Saari, waiting further.

Cheers!
deepv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2015, 21:22   #19
BHPian

#Day VIII : Saari – Deoriyaa Taal

56. The next day morning we were greeted by visuals of a mountain village and its hardworking positive inhabitants going through chores of yet an everyday morning; visuals of women working in the terraced fields , cattle grazing, school children in morning prayer at the school and men in groups discussing something which I do not know .. it was atmosphere of calm poised lifestyle so vastly different from the hordes of people on their way to work in cities each peering into their android and apple phones as their mind focused on the day coming ahead. I do not say which is better or worse just correlating both versions of humanity as experienced personally.

57. We were supposed to hike till Deoriyaa Taal, the climb is steep and with a backpack on me my breathing was laborious but the views were spectacular, I might not have witnessed the azure blue of the Himalaya or the reflection of Choumkhamba in the lake water but the sights that I witnessed, well am glad for them . Do have a look at the visuals.

58. The night stay was at Deoriyaa Taal itself at the cottage run by Mr M S Negi and it was a delightful experience in itself , once again we were in the company of solar lamps and dinner cooked on wooden Chulhas ; ahh !!! It was a night to remember.

Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-430-saari_.jpg <br />
THE FUTURE <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-431-saari_.jpg <br /> <br />
IDYLLIC VISTAS <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-433-deoriyaa-taal_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-437-deoriyaa-taal_.jpg <br /> <br />
DEORIYAA TAAL<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-438-deoriyaa-taal_.jpg <br /> <br />
MYSTICAL <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-440-deoriyaa-taal_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-442-deoriyaa-taal_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-443-deoriyaa-taal_.jpg <br /> <br />
WONDERS OF NATURE<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-444-deoriyaa-taal_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-449-deoriyaa-taal_.jpg <br /> <br />
IMAGE THROUGH MY MIND'S WINDOW<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-451-deoriyaa-taal_.jpg <br /> <br />
SPECTACULAR <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-452-deoriyaa-taal_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-453-deoriyaa-taal_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-454-deoriyaa-taal_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-456-deoriyaa-taal_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-457-deoriyaa-taal_.jpg <br /> <br />
CHAUKHAMBA<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-460-deoriyaa-taal_.jpg <br /> <br />
GARHWAL HIMALAYAN RANGE<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-461-deoriyaa-taal_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-462-deoriyaa-taal_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-480-deoriyaa-taal_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-652-deoriyaa-taal-1.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Click image for larger version

Name:	uk 652 deoriyaa taal 1.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	575.0 KB
ID:	1413372<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-650-deoriyaa-taal-1.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-481-deoriyaa-taal_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-646-deoriyaa-taal-1.jpg   <div style=
swsumit is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2015, 21:38   #20
BHPian

Great Travelogue.
Outstanding photography and superb narration
srikrishna717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2015, 07:22   #21
BHPian

Day IX : Saari-Kalimath-Phata-Kedarnath

59. So on a bright blue morning we bid adieu to mystical Deoriyaa Taal and Mr Negi , starting our descent towards Saari Vilage from where after a hearty breakfast we retraced our path towards Ukimath and thereafter drove towards Kalimath. This stretch from Guptkashi to Kalimath I found among the most vulnerable to mudslides, rockslides post 2013. The entire route is too narrow and broken at most of the places, vehicles do move up and down but at the cost of personal safety.

60. Kalimath , one of the 108 Shakti peeths , associate with siddhi learnings is a divine place surrounded by the Kedarnath peaks . It is said that Maa Kali had killed the asura Rakthabeeja out here. Steeped in folklore and mysticism it is revered by all those who visit this place.

61. Post Kalimath we retraced back and reached Guptkashi where we undertook the prerequisite biometric scan and prepared to move towards Kedarnath. The plan for the day was to stay at either Phata or Gaurikund and thenhike up to Kedarnath the next day. However as we reached Phata by midday we had changed the schedule midway and decided to take a helo service for onward journey to Kedarnath and the return was to be a trek. Accordingly we wished to stay near the helipad itself. Enquiry of the Heli services indicated that we could even visit Kedarnath the same day and come back next day thereby saving a day in between, so we took this change of plan and by four in the evening flew towards Kedarnath.

62. The touchdown at the helipad of Kedarnath was a surreal experience and I was glad that I was able to manage getting a backpack and my photographic gear in the flight in spite of weight restrictions. The camera gear in addition to the woolen clothing had increased the weight and there is a weight limit per passenger. The climatic change was instantaneous and the wind chill factor at Kedarnath was substantial.

63. Kedarnath, home of Lord Shiva, of all the places that I have visited till date this is the place that holds very dear to my heart, there is something out there that draws one to oneself within, situated between towering mountain peaks desolate in looks and cold all the time yet the warmth that infuses inside the heart somehow , that is irreplaceable . I felt I could stay here for days to come and could feel the drive that forced many a mendicant to remain at Kedarnath braving the hostile climatic conditions.

64. As we were going to stay the night we decided to take part in the evening aarti conducted at 730 in the evening and a sublime experience it was, which normally witnessed less crowds as the weather and the drizzle forced many back into their tents. The cold was substantial and the drizzle made the chill factor increase many fold. Proper clothing is a must i would say.

65. After the evening aarti , we decided to have simple dinner at the community service which had been organized and thereafter proceeded to our tents which had been allocated by the administration that managed the entire stay of all pilgrims . The temple doors closed by 830 in evening and in the darkness there were hardly anyone out as we walked back to the tents from the temple aided by the beam of a torch .

66. Kedarnath , the most remote of the char dhams can be reached by a 16 trek from Gaurikund. The temple opens around April end post Maha shivratri and closes at the onset of winter around Diwali. It is still the way it was decades back and the floods of 2013 have washed away all the commercialization that had crept in over the years.

67. So many pilgrims come to this holy place with age or social standing hardly a deciding factor , aged individuals making the trek over 16-17 hours to reach the place in the darkness and then going straight to the temple to lay eyes on the idol of Lord Shiva. It is very difficult to describe what the eyes see in places like this , it has to be seen and experienced individually . But I would definitely recommend that a night stay option.

Day X : Kedarnath – Phata

68. After a restless night of tossing and turning we were up early in the morning and walked towards the temple again. This time while the morning aarti was in progress I ventured in to the area behind the temple. I could see a trail leading to the temple of Bhairavanath on the right and my eyes could also make out the trek trail leading to Kedar Taal on the left high up in the mountains . How I looked with eyes full of longing for both of these but somehow restrained myself and consoled that there will be a time for both ahead in the future. For the moment I said to myself that I was fortunate to have come till this far and done the darshan of Lord himself. After spending close to an hour in solitary company of the mountains including the Kedar peak, I turned back as we needed to get back on the trial leading to Gaurikund which was 16 km away.

69. The path this time was on the left of the mountain valley as opposed to the original one which was on the right which had been completely destroyed by the 2013 floods , the scale of devastation was so evident even in 2015 and I could imagine what must have happened on that fateful night and the next morning. The devastation was a constant companion till Gaurikund as we trudged through snow and ice on paths that had been roughly cut and cleared by the BRO in order to ensure that the temple opened on time.

70. It is a trek that is strenuous and long but the pilgrims do the same with belief in their heart. This new trail bypasses many historically significant way points like Garud Chatti and similar ones which now lie on the opposite side. We reached Gaurikund by around three in the afternoon and had a cup of hot streaming Maggie with tea as reward for the successful completion of the trek.

71. From Gaurikund one can take a sharing taxi till Guptkashi which is five km away. As we took the shared taxi, the weather opened up and torrential rains started. The entire stretch of 05 km road at once became treacherous on account of loose soil n silt that flowed along with the water from the surrounding mountains, definitely not a pleasing place to be in. I have come to the opinion that post 2013, this entire region has not stabilized and is still prone to upheavals and landslides at the slightest change in weather.

72. From Guptkashi we boarded another share taxi that dropped us at Phata where we collected our car and found a suitable hotel to stay for the night. Tomorrow was a visit to Truyuginarayan and then onwards.

Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-487-kalimath_.jpg <br /> <b><u>KALIMATH </u></b><br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-488-kalimath_.jpg <br /> <br /> <b><i><u>@KALIMATH </u></i></b><br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-499-kedarnath-trek_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-500-kedarnath-trek_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-502-kedarnath-trek_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-505-kedarnath-trek-1.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-508-kedarnath-trek_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-510-kedarnath-trek-1.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-523-kedarnath-trek-1.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Click image for larger version

Name:	uk 523 kedarnath trek 1.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	1415328<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-527-kedarnath-trek-1.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Click image for larger version

Name:	uk 527 kedarnath trek 1.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	476.8 KB
ID:	1415329<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-519-kedarnath-trek-1.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-518-kedarnath-trek-1.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Click image for larger version

Name:	uk 518 kedarnath trek 1.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	1415331<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-526-kedarnath-trek-1.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-550-frm-dedarnath-1.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-554-frm-kedarnath-1.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Click image for larger version

Name:	UK 554 frm kedarnath 1.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	795.2 KB
ID:	1415334<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-580-frm-kedarnath-1.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-581-frm-kedarnath-1.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-583-frm-kedarnath-1.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-600-kedarnath-1.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-607-kedarnath-1.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-610-rom-kedarnath-alt-1.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-806-kedarnath-1.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-617-kedarnath-1.jpg   <div style=
Attached Thumbnails
Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-810-kedarnath-1.jpg  

swsumit is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2015, 14:30   #22
BHPian

@swsumit - loved the triplog, and the pictures took my breath away. Incredible Stuff.
noo.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2015, 11:55   #23
BHPian

Sumit - great TL. This is a TL which anyone can look into before planning a trip to Uttarakhand. Awesome pictures, narration and mystical places! There are so many threads now on Leh Ladakh, Himachal and J&K but not many on UK - which is a shame and you are filling that void.

Great going. Voted 5*

Last edited by sach.sri : 17th September 2015 at 11:57.
sach.sri is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2015, 18:31   #24
BHPian

Day XI : Phata –Trijunirayan-Nandaprayag

73. After a night of drizzle we woke up to splendid blue sky and fleeting white clouds. Today we were supposed to visit Triyuginarayan , nestled up above the valley of Guptakashi. The road leading to the village was unmetaled and narrow twisting and turning on the mountain side climbing all the while. I wonder how do people manage to commute to places like these in the rains; there is definitely no bus connectivity to these places , it’s the land of jeeps and max trekkers.For today it was all blue sky glorious sunshine and white peaks in the distance amongst the green mountain side .

74. Triyuginarayan was reached by around 1130 hrs and quickly had a darshan of the temple, there are many trekking spots in and around the surrounding mountains which I am sure those who stay close by can explore.

75. The place is credited as being the location of the marriage of Lord Shiva with Maa Parvati and witnessed by Lord Vishnu. The ancient temple dedicated to Lord Vishnu and the celestial mandap are the highlights.The akhand dhuni (perpetual flame) burns here all the time. A serene place however the priests I found to be over zealous to make you pay monetary offerings whichi somehow did not go well with the entire ambience.

76. By around 1400 hours we were back at Phata and decided to reach Karna prayag itself rather than staying at Rudra prayag that we had originally thought , the road to Karna prayag deviates from Rudra prayag and one has to retrace the path till there . The sector from Rudra prayag till maybe 25 kms is totally deteriorated and pot holed and thereafter the road condition improves substantially.

77. Karna prayag was reached by 1830 hrs and it somehow did not appeal to me, too much traffic and there is one single road on which everything rested. We did not get any accommodation at the GMVN guest house and based on their recommendation pushed on till Nanda prayag where we were accommodated in the TRH out there.

78. That bought us to the end of an eventful day and we had crossed the mountain range which differentiated between the Kedarnath region from the Badrinath region.

ODO for the day stood at 93070

Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-645-trijunarayan-1.jpg <br />
TRIYUGINARAYAN <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-162-trijunarayan-route_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-653-joshimath-route.jpg <br /> <br />
THE INDOMITABLE<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-183-ndr-route_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-174-seen-frm-trijunarayan-towards-kedrarnath_.jpg <br /> <br />
VIEWS FROM TRIGUNARAYAN<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-173-seen-frm-trijunarayan-towards-kedrarnath_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-172-seen-frm-trijunarayan-towards-kedrarnath_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-170-seen-frm-trijunarayan-towards-kedrarnath_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-168-seen-frm-trijunarayan-towards-kedrarnath_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-indomitable-towards-ndr-3.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-indomitable-towards-ndr-4.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-142-way-towards-ndr.jpg <br /> <br />
ON THE ROAD TOWARDS KARNAPRAYAG<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-143-way-towards-ndr.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-146on-way-towards-ndr.jpg <br /> <br />
SUNSET ON THE HIGHWAYS<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-147-way-towards-ndr.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-159-trijunarayan-route_.jpg <br /> <br />
ON THE ROUTE TO TRIGUNARAYAN<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-161-trijunarayan-route_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-163-trijunarayan-route_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-164-trijunarayan-mandir_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-165-trijunarayan-mandir_.jpg <br /> <br />
TEMPLE AT TRIGUNARAYAN <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Click image for larger version

Name:	uk 165 trijunarayan mandir_.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	962.4 KB
ID:	1416883<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-166-trijunarayan-mandir_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-167-trijunarayan-mandir_.jpg   <div style=
Attached Thumbnails
Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-180-nandaprayag-route_.jpg  

swsumit is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2015, 09:35   #25
BHPian

Day XI : Nandaprayag – Joshimath

79. The next morning we visited the Sangam of Alaknanda and Nandakini rivers which did not have many tourists or pilgrims . Maybe it was early in the morning hence there were hardly any visitors. After this on a warm sunny morning we proceeded towards Joshimath . The route was along the Chamoli-Gopeswar Highway and we also took a detour from Chamoli to visit the Gopinath temple at Gopeswar. Gopeshwar is nestled on a hill and a narrow winding road leads up to the town itself. The setting was very picturesque with lavender trees in full bloom.

80. The Gopinath temple dedicated to Lord Shiva has significant importance in this region and is highlighted with the presence of a 5 mt trident which I think is similar in metallurgy to the trident of Maa Mookambica at Kodachadri Village, Karnataka. Both these weapons are exposed to the nature however remain unaffected by the same.

81. Post the visit we proceeded towards Joshimath and we arrived at Joshimath by 1400 hrs. The road conditions were a mix of good and bad and the heat definitely had built by the time we arrived at Joshimath. Our stay was booked at GMVN, Joshimath which was definitely a good place to stay. In the afternoon and evening we visited the famed Narsingh Temple at Joshimath established by Adi Shankaracharya himself and is one among the 108 “Divya Desams” and thereafter proceeded to visit the Shankaracharya Math which if one of the four Maths established and is in-charge of the ‘Atharvaveda’. The Kalpavrikhsa tree is also a major attraction and is said to be as old as Badrinath himself and is worth a visit. Joshimath also has the idol as well as site of the future Kedarnath temple which can be seen quite easily presently.

Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-178-nandaprayag_.jpg <br /> <br />
NANDA PRAYAG SANGAM<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-179-nandaprayag_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-177-joshimath-_.jpg <br /> <br />
EVENING @JOSHIMATH<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-184-gopeswar_.jpg <br /> <br />
PRETTY GOPESWAR<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-190-gopinath-temple_.jpg <br /> <br />
THE FAMED GOPINATH TEMPLE<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-191-gopinath-temple_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-194-gopinath-temple_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-196-gopinath-temple_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-197-towards-joshimath.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Click image for larger version

Name:	uk 197 towards joshimath.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	875.1 KB
ID:	1419375<br /> <br /> <br />
TOWARDS JOSHIMATH<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-200-towards-joshimath.jpg <br /> <br />
ENROUTE<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-175-joshimath-_.jpg <br /> <br />
JOSHIMATH MATH<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-201-towards-joshimath.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-203-towards-joshimath.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-206-towards-joshimath.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-211-joshimath.jpg <br /> <br />
NARSINGH TEMPLE<br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-214-joshimath.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-217-joshimath.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-219-joshimath.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-220-joshimath.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-222-joshimath.jpg   <div style=
swsumit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2015, 18:12   #26
BHPian

Day XII : Joshimath – Badrinath

82. The next day morning after visiting the Math again we left for Badrinath and also had a mendicant as passenger who wanted to reach Badrinath, The first stop was Vishnu prayag which is the confluence of Alaknanda and Dhauliganga rivers. After spending some time here we proceeded ahead. The route consisted of Vishnuprayag followed by historical places like Pandukeswara, Hanuman Chatti and then finally Badrinath.

83. This entire stretch had also faced the devastation of the 2013 disaster and had not recovered since then. The entire route gives one a feeling of instability and the road has been at various places kept open with the help of JCBs and other heavy earth moving equipments. The scenic beauty is worth describing as one goes right into the heart of the mountains as the road snakes its way deeper and deeper. Hanuman Chatti was reached by 1400 hrs and thereafter we reached Badrinath at 1500 hrs.

84. Our stay was booked at GMVN, Badrinath however we did not like the look of the property and shifted to Hotel Shankar Shree which was more welcoming. In the afternoon we went up till Mana Village which is the last village this side of the border and visited the various historical sites out there. In the evening we went to the Badrinath temple and spend some quality time out there.

85. As the night approached the temperature fell substantially and after a hot simple dinner we hit the bed as we wanted to get up early to witness the natural beauty of the place and also take part in the morning aarti at the temple.

Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-indomitable-towards-badri-vishal-ji-1.jpg <br /> <br />
INDOMITABLE TOWARDS BADRIDHAAM<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-228-vishnuprayag_.jpg <br /> <br />
VISHNUPRAYAG <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-231-vishnuprayag_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-234-vishnuprayag_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-237-vishnuprayag_.jpg <br /> <br />
SANGAM @VISHNUPRAYAG<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-240-towards-badrinath_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-241-towards-badrinath_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-246-badrinath_.jpg <br />
JAI BADRI VISHAAL<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-253-badrinath_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-254-badrinath_.jpg <br /> <br />
NEELKANTH <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-259-badrinath_.jpg <br /> <br />
NEELKANTH PEAK<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-271-badrinath_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-272-badrinath_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-276-badrinath_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-281-badrinath_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-282-badrinath_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-286-badrinath_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-292-badrinath_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-303-neelkanth.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-306-neelkanth.jpg <br /> <br />
NAR NEEL PARBAT<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-324-neelkanth.jpg <br /> <br />
NEELKANTH <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-314-neelkanth.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-398-badrinath-route_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br />
HANUMAN CHATTI <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-401-badrinath-route_.jpg <br /> <br />
BADRINATH VALLEY<br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-636-badrinath-1.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-641-badrinath-1.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-410-badrinath_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-330-neelkanth.jpg   <div style=
Attached Thumbnails
Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-334-neelkanth.jpg  

Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-409-badrinath-route_.jpg  

Old 3rd October 2015, 20:30   #27
BHPian

Day XIII: Badrinath – Auli

86. Today was a relaxed day as we were travelling to the hill resort of Auli which is known for unparalleled beauty and vistas. The road to Auli is from Joshimath and one has to retrace the path back till Joshimath, from there is a very narrow single lane road that goes right till GMVN Auli . The entire day was spent in soaking in the sights and sounds at Auli , and a visit to the peaceful Hanuman temple

Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-1.jpg <br />
BEAUTIFUL AULI <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-130-sunrise-auli_.jpg <br /> <br />
SUNRISE ON THE GARHWAL RANGE<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-132-sunrise-auli_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-134-nanda-devi-sunrise_.jpg <br /> <br />
MAJESTIC NANDA DEVI <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-133-nanda-devi-sunrise_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-135trishul-range-i-sunrise_.jpg <br />
TRISHUL RANGE <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-139-ranges-auli_.jpg <br /> <br />
RANGES FROM AULI <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-140ranges-auli_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-343-auli_.jpg <br />
DELICATE<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-346-auli-_.jpg <br /> <br />
THE PATHWAYS<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-350-auli-_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-354-auli-_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-359-auli-_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-361-auli-_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-368-auli-alernate_.jpg <br /> <br />
SUNSET <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-373-auli.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-376-auli.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-381-auli.jpg <br /> <br />
TRISHUL<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-385-auli_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-392-auli_.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Click image for larger version

Name:	UK 392 auli_.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	441.5 KB
ID:	1422559<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-628-auli-alt-1.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Click image for larger version

Name:	uk 628 auli  alt 1.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	614.3 KB
ID:	1422560<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-627-auli-1.jpg <br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-395-auli-indomitable.jpg   <div style=
Attached Thumbnails
Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-626-auli-1.jpg  

Uttarakhand: An Ode to the Himalayas & Spirituality-uk-388-auli_.jpg  

Old 5th October 2015, 19:20   #28
BHPian

Day XIV : Auli – Haridwar

This was a unexpected change in the itinerary , as we were actually supposed to go towards Kumanon part of Uttarakhand however due to certain unforeseen situations developing back home we decided to head back . So the target of the day was revised to Hardwar which we reached after a hard day of driving by 1930 hours in the evening, covering a distance of more than 300 Kms.

Day XV : Haridwar – Jaipur

Another day of relentless driving saw us making it till Jaipur as we took the bypass from Muzzarfurpur and bypassed Delhi to reach Rohtak and then rejoin NH 8 at Rewari. I would definitely recommend this route as it enables one to avoid the road jam of Delhi, Gurgaon and save time. The roads are also very well laid out and one makes good progress on them

Day XVI : Jaipur – Baroda

The hills had been left far far behind but the memory lingered afresh as ever as we drove deeper into the plains and retraced the route back towards Mumbai. The destination for the day was set as Baroda and we set a continuous unbroken pace to reach Baroda by 2100 hours in the evening.

Day XVII : Baroda – Mumbai

Mumbai was round the corner and with that thought in mind we scorched the NH8 as the INDOMITABLE ate up the miles to reach Mumbai by 1600 hours in the evening.
Old 5th October 2015, 19:22   #29
BHPian

Conclusion.

It was a great experience indeed and definitely made an impact in my mind as to the beauty of this region. It is a must visit for those who love nature .

Tc everyone , that's it in this post
Old 7th October 2015, 13:53   #30
BHPian

I got lost in the words and the pictures, you really can make people see things from your lens. your pictures talk. Even a day to day picture seem so different. How do you do it?

And your short captions, just made them complete.

Fantabulous. Thank you and Thank you so much.
KD007 is offline   Reply With Quote