Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 21st September 2015, 14:57   #76
BHPian

Default Re: Sailed through the high passes in Hatchbacks, SUVs & a Sedan - Our Ladakh chapter from Kolkata

Keep the amazing pictures flowing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
Definitely cooking . Plans around June next year. Will keep you updated once the itinerary is confirmed.
Now this should make the Hamro Momo meet more interesting! It's imperative that we meet up and talk Ladakh!

Experts, won't June be a tad too early?
mi2n is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2015, 16:55   #77

Default Re: Sailed through the high passes in Hatchbacks, SUVs & a Sedan - Our Ladakh chapter from Kolkata

Was eagerly waiting for the travelogue. Must say that I am avid reader of your threads. Words don’t do justice to your photographs!! Your travelogues encourage us younger newbies to take the plunge of driving to unchartered territories!

I have noticed that you inevitably capture the milky way through your photographs every-time you travel and like always its mesmerizing! Thanks for inspiring.
Speedol Nestor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2015, 18:39   #78

Spent the better part of my office time reading this travelogue. Just couldn't stop lapping up all the details and admiring the amazing array of photographs.

This, certainly, is one of the best travelogues I have read and a sparkling feather on the caps of Samba and his companions in the trip.
Wolfconsole is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2015, 22:52   #79

Thumbs up Re: Sailed through the high passes in Hatchbacks, SUVs & a Sedan - Our Ladakh chapter from Kolkata

It has been raining Ladakh TLs from the Kolkata gang!
Each one of your pics are awesome, needless to say. But the passion of driving his own car to Ladakh is what makes this different from other TLs.
Reading yours as well as GhostRider28 's TL - its like we have seen everything (well almost ), only experiencing it first hand remains left for most of us.

Thanks for sharing!
redeye10 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2015, 11:31   #80
BHPian

Arav, very informative and helpful documents, thanks for that. Ideal for potential Ladakh troopers next year ( this includes the list of hotels, and that includes me if time permits).

SouraC, bro, you are the uncrowned Pano'king.

Avrendu some quite stunning captures.
me_sid is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2015, 12:25   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
Keep the amazing pictures flowing!

Now this should make the Hamro Momo meet more interesting! It's imperative that we meet up and talk Ladakh!

Experts, won't June be a tad too early?
June not fixed mi2n. Will finalize month by this year end. June is tough but you get white & less polluted snow. Let's discuss this over momos
PapaBravo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2015, 21:00   #82
BHPian

Fantastic pictures - a real visual treat with a great travelogue. You are just whetting our appetite and I am sure more of us will follow your footsteps from Kolkata.

One question - did you try to reach out to IIAP and request for accommodation in IAO Hanle , or have they stopped the practice now ? I was there with family in 2012 (not self driven) and was allowed to stay in the IAO quarters based on mail exchanges with IIAP Bangalore. Do they still give permits to drive through Mann , Merak and Chusul towards Hanle , I thought I read somewhere that permits in this sector is actively discouraged now.
DriveTrain is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2015, 21:40   #83
BHPian

Thanks every one for liking the travelogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveTrain View Post

One question - did you try to reach out to IIAP and request for accommodation in IAO Hanle , or have they stopped the practice now ? I was there with family in 2012 (not self driven) and was allowed to stay in the IAO quarters based on mail exchanges with IIAP Bangalore.
At Hanle we stayed in a home stay. As far as i know if some one write to IIAP through mail about a month prior to the date of journey they do give accommodation over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveTrain View Post
Do they still give permits to drive through Mann , Merak and Chusul towards Hanle , I thought I read somewhere that permits in this sector is actively discouraged now.
Yes they do give and you can obtain it easily. In-fact we had the permit for this route too. But few cars were giving low mileage than what was expected, so there was a chance of running out of fuel, though we carried 40 liters of extra fuel per car. So we didn't take a chance.

Last edited by Samba : 22nd September 2015 at 21:45.
Samba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2015, 09:21   #84
BHPian

It's an amazing travelogue with stunning photos. Congratulations! Samba, Arav, Souradeep, Avrendu and other team members!

It made me wonder: what is the next destination for Team-Samba?

Cheers,
Golam
gmhossain is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2015, 15:45   #85
BHPian

When I was in Ladakh, the first thing that captivated me was the vastness of the Landscapes. As it is a mandate to bring back good pictures from Ladakh, I tried to capture the beauty of this limitlessness. I thank everyone for liking the Panoramas and I am attaching the last set for everyone to enjoy.

There are no words in my dictionary to describe the beauty of Hanle (Specifically the colors of Nyoma - Loma sector)

Sailed through the high passes in Hatchbacks, SUVs & a Sedan - Our Ladakh chapter from Kolkata-colours-hanle-2s.jpg

Sailed through the high passes in Hatchbacks, SUVs & a Sedan - Our Ladakh chapter from Kolkata-colours-hanle-3s.jpg

Sailed through the high passes in Hatchbacks, SUVs & a Sedan - Our Ladakh chapter from Kolkata-colours-hanle-4s.jpg

The Space Observatory with the Landscape. The Hanle Monastery is visible at distance

Sailed through the high passes in Hatchbacks, SUVs & a Sedan - Our Ladakh chapter from Kolkata-hanle-space-observatorys.jpg

I liked the Colors of Tso Moriri because of its color variations

The Picture was taken in quite low light which can be a reason for the colour patches in the sky.
Sailed through the high passes in Hatchbacks, SUVs & a Sedan - Our Ladakh chapter from Kolkata-tso-moriri-1s.jpg

Sailed through the high passes in Hatchbacks, SUVs & a Sedan - Our Ladakh chapter from Kolkata-tso-moriri-3s.jpg

Sailed through the high passes in Hatchbacks, SUVs & a Sedan - Our Ladakh chapter from Kolkata-tso-moriri-4s.jpg

The renowned Landscape before Pang

Sailed through the high passes in Hatchbacks, SUVs & a Sedan - Our Ladakh chapter from Kolkata-leh-manali-canyan-1s.jpg

Hill View from our Keylong Hotel

Sailed through the high passes in Hatchbacks, SUVs & a Sedan - Our Ladakh chapter from Kolkata-keylong-hotel-views.jpg

I am still in two minds about writing my experience of this trip but my current commitments are not allowing me to concentrate on the same. I hope to share my experience with some good pictures as soon as I can.
SouraC is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2015, 15:59   #86
BHPian

BHPian SouraC !!

You did proud to Milan Sir in Ladakh and if at all I may take the opportunity of renaming you as the master of panoramic snaps or just as the "Master of Panorama"

The snaps makes me go back in time to Ladakh and going through the snaps posted by you, I am already planning my next Ladakh Trip !!

Cheers !!
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2015, 17:53   #87

A Summary of the above Facts of the Trip :
Total Number of Days = 18
Total Expenditure per person per night = Rs.1,800/= (approx. which includes accommodation, food and water)
Total Kilometers Traveled = 6500Kms (Approx)
Total Amount of Toll Paid = Rs.4,541/=
Total number of Photographs clicked = Infinite !! Still Sorting

Firstly, I would like to thank each one of the trip members to pull off such a tremendous journey flawlessly. This TL was a revelation for me regarding lot of aspects. Ex. Low GC cars cannot do such a trip....i know better now.

AJ : Thank you so much for the costing breakup you have given.
One clarification : Rs 1800/Head/day that you mentioned , does it include the fuel cost? I really hope it does. Will await your response on that and i do hope to get LEH'd someday

Cheers
veritoman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2015, 12:02   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veritoman View Post
AJ : Thank you so much for the costing breakup you have given.
One clarification : Rs 1800/Head/day that you mentioned , does it include the fuel cost? I really hope it does. Will await your response on that and i do hope to get LEH'd someday
Brudder this definitely does not include the fuel cost

You can add up the fuel cost separately and apportion it on per head basis depending on the number of people you are travelling with.

You may ascertain the Fuel Cost to be somewhere between Rs.2.75 to Rs.3.25 per Kilometer approximately for the entire trip. For me as a solo traveler, the cost of diesel was somewhere near Rs.19,000/= (approx) for 6,500Kms door to door.
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2015, 19:24   #89
BHPian

Adding my last set of pics from this trip.

View from the front seat at Zojila!
Sailed through the high passes in Hatchbacks, SUVs & a Sedan - Our Ladakh chapter from Kolkata-img_0041.jpg

Some where in front of a view point on the Srinagar-Leh Highway.
Sailed through the high passes in Hatchbacks, SUVs & a Sedan - Our Ladakh chapter from Kolkata-img_7413.jpg

View from the starting of the road which goes via Shyaok.
Sailed through the high passes in Hatchbacks, SUVs & a Sedan - Our Ladakh chapter from Kolkata-img_7651.jpg

At Changla
Sailed through the high passes in Hatchbacks, SUVs & a Sedan - Our Ladakh chapter from Kolkata-img_7663.jpg

Stopped while having some fun on the optional shortcut dart roads between Changla and Tangste.
Sailed through the high passes in Hatchbacks, SUVs & a Sedan - Our Ladakh chapter from Kolkata-img_7685.jpg

Between Tangste to Pangong
Sailed through the high passes in Hatchbacks, SUVs & a Sedan - Our Ladakh chapter from Kolkata-img_7696.jpg

Sailed through the high passes in Hatchbacks, SUVs & a Sedan - Our Ladakh chapter from Kolkata-img_7708.jpg

At Pangong.
Sailed through the high passes in Hatchbacks, SUVs & a Sedan - Our Ladakh chapter from Kolkata-img_7804.jpg

Sailed through the high passes in Hatchbacks, SUVs & a Sedan - Our Ladakh chapter from Kolkata-img_7806.jpg

Our cars on the way to Hanle.
Sailed through the high passes in Hatchbacks, SUVs & a Sedan - Our Ladakh chapter from Kolkata-img_7835.jpg

Sailed through the high passes in Hatchbacks, SUVs & a Sedan - Our Ladakh chapter from Kolkata-img_7844.jpg

Sailed through the high passes in Hatchbacks, SUVs & a Sedan - Our Ladakh chapter from Kolkata-img_7928.jpg

At Hanle.
Sailed through the high passes in Hatchbacks, SUVs & a Sedan - Our Ladakh chapter from Kolkata-img_7962.jpg

Sailed through the high passes in Hatchbacks, SUVs & a Sedan - Our Ladakh chapter from Kolkata-img_7969.jpg

Confluence of two rivers somewhere near Kullu.
Sailed through the high passes in Hatchbacks, SUVs & a Sedan - Our Ladakh chapter from Kolkata-img_7970.jpg

Last edited by Samba : 1st October 2015 at 19:33.
Samba is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2015, 21:43   #90
BHPian

As we are sure that this TL will encourage many in planning a Ladakh Tour, I would like to share a Map that I have kept handy in my car for quick reference. I have downloaded this one and hope I am not violating any policy by sharing it.

You will find lots of Ladakh Map in Internet but this one is comprehensive with details of La's, Tso's, Road condition, Distance and Fuel bunks. As we have seen, the Diskit Fuel pump has been washed away by a flash flood and not active.

Sailed through the high passes in Hatchbacks, SUVs & a Sedan - Our Ladakh chapter from Kolkata-ladakhzanskarmapwith-pointsanddistances.jpg

Although we were mostly dependent on the Route chart shared by HVK for details but still this kind of map can be helpful sometimes.
SouraC is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote