Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 3rd October 2006, 17:53   #31
BHPian

I was planning to drive to gokarna/ karwar from bangalore in the next couple of weeks.

Have driven only 15k so far in my life, and only once on a ghat- bangalore- mangalore and back. If I cud do the ghats on Bangalore- mangalore section, would i be able to do on the route mentioned above?

Cheers
Ajay
ajayclicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2006, 15:04   #32
BHPian

Guys just for your info The between Hubli and Karwar via Yellapur is in great shape only exception being a 30min strectch in the ghats that's not so great.
kiranpashtakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2006, 15:13   #33
Jay
BHPian

Nice report and nice pics too DRC....
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2006, 16:45   #34
BHPian

Quote:
@pawan, We travelled about 1600 kms in total.. consumed about 114 liters of fuel, and still half a tank fuel left in the tank. Certainly about 14+ kmpl FE
That is impressive mileage. I hardly get 12.5kmpl on my Palio 1.6 on my long distance drives but I do push it before upshifting. How do you normally drive on the highways that you manage to get this kind of mileage?

Nice report though. I have been planning to drive to Goa too for a long time now, its only the long driving hours with the family which makes me think twice.
5u3zEr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2006, 16:54   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks
I was planning to drive to gokarna/ karwar from bangalore in the next couple of weeks.

Have driven only 15k so far in my life, and only once on a ghat- bangalore- mangalore and back. If I cud do the ghats on Bangalore- mangalore section, would i be able to do on the route mentioned above?

Cheers
Ajay
Sincere request please dont do the drive via the ghats. Absolutely pathetic. To reach Dharmasthala you need to drive via the ghats and the roads are bad. Unless you want to drive down in a SUV.

I would suggest you to try the Shimoga -- Honnavar route. DRC should be able to throw more light on this route.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2006, 19:23   #36
DRC
BHPian

@5u3zEr0, I do push it hard, may not be as hard as U do, Dunno! I myself was impressed with the FE I got on the trip, My city FE is stabilized at 9.6 and some times fall to 9 due to bad traffic.

@ajayclicks: Yes Bagalore Shimoga Honnavar route is very good when I travelled, I expected it to be bad between Shimoga and Honnava, I knew the oad is good till shimoga, but I was pleasantly surpised! Its almost 2 months though situation could be different, but not drastically. Only rough patches to watch out is between Tarikere and Bhadravati, about 7kms (no signs of repair) and between Ankola and Karwar(?) 2 kms, road laying was going on.

Enjoy your trip, Being October, dolphin cuises must be on.. dont miss out!
DRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2006, 21:16   #37
Senior - BHPian

I travelled from Blre -> shimoga -> honnavar -> ankola last week, road between tarikere and badravati is not so good and here and there after Jog till karwar one can find potholes, over all road is good. My swift gave FE around 16.5 with no AC. Now I am at Sirsi and tomorrow travelling back to Blre via Chitradurga.

I can say the best route between blre and gokarna, ankola, karwar is via shimoga. Take Blre -> tumkur -> shimoga -> honnavar -> ankola -> karwar route is better than any other routes for Blre to karwar.

Regards,

Ravi.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2006, 14:09   #38
BHPian

Thanks Guys

RJ- i have already been to dharmastala- while driving towards mangalore, my wife kinda hijacked the car, and i HAD HAD HAD to go to dharmastala.

DRC, thanks for the route suggestion...

Also I forgot to mention- did the small ghat section at hogenakal also- but then, at that time my dad was accompanyin me (hes experienced)

Cheers
Ajay
ajayclicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2006, 14:24   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

I am yet to read it fully, Great Pix though!

And glad we could meet at Ooty

Some pix during TBHP meet after you joined us.

edit:

3 trips ...36 hair pin turns x 3 !!! and wow! how was ur brake after that? We had a problem when we drove down hill without using engine braking and hence smokey brake pads

Last edited by jkdas : 5th October 2006 at 14:32.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2006, 14:36   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC
@5u3zEr0, I do push it hard, may not be as hard as U do, Dunno! I myself was impressed with the FE I got on the trip, My city FE is stabilized at 9.6 and some times fall to 9 due to bad traffic.
If you maintain between 100-120, you should get around 14. If you maintain close to 80-90, you should get around 16. (I am talking of Petra 1.6).
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2006, 16:47   #41
BHPian

Quote:
As I thought, my city mileage is also lower than yours. I manage only around 9kmpl not that I am complaining! But Petra is bigger and heavier than the Palio.
5u3zEr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2006, 12:16   #42
DRC
BHPian

@5u3zEr0, Interesting... FE may depend on lot of things, Including Fuel, load, drivng style, air pressure in tyres, traffic conditions to name a few. They all may be different between us. I use shell super unleaded, most of my city driving is alone (office and back) on crowded but well paved roads, I am a light foor in city. But I do rip on highways, I feel my car is made for highways rather than cities.

Only on my Goa trip I got this kinda FE, Usually, I do atleast one trip in a month to Tumkur, which is on GQ NH4, On these trips I do not get any more than ~11.5
Old 15th November 2006, 11:26   #43
BHPian

Default Possible routes between Bangalore - Goa

Hi,

I'm planning to drive to Goa and would like to know what are the possible routes. Would appreciate if someone could give me a detailed route because I don't want to bank entirely on directions provided along the highways. I'd love to drive via Jog and/or Karwar, but would like to know what's the trade off in terms of distance and quality of road. Two of us would take turns with the driving.
CBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2006, 15:56   #44
DRC
BHPian

CBlazer, Majorly these are the 2 routes.
1. Thro' Shimoga (Shivamogga) which I took,
2. Thro Hubli (Hubballi)

There is hardly about 45kms diff between the 2. Shimoga is farther. But the road conditions(as of august) and the scenic beauty is the best in this road. You may have read the post 1 of this thread for a report.

On the second route, Which takes the NH4, I recently drive till Davanagere a week back, and the road as such is good, but there is a lot of construction going on through out the stretch. I had to change the lanes to the other sided of the road quite often and I felt very dangerous. Also traffic is toomuch. I have not used this road but, I have heard that from Hubli to Goa the road is non existant.

Therer is an other route, which is very round about, through Mangalore. On this road you will get to visit many beaches on Karnataka shore line. But I heard the road here too is very bad.
Old 25th November 2006, 20:45   #45
BHPian

DRC,

Thanks for the information. I couldn't access the site till today, but we were planning to do the Shimoga route since we heard about the scenic beauty. We were supposed to travel today, but had to cancel the trip due to some urgent business my friend had to attend to. No way we'll get reservations for December, so we'll do the trip later.
CBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote