Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 30th September 2015, 12:16   #1
BHPian

Default Day Trip to the Narakkal Fish Farm (Kerala)

Kerala Matsyafed entered into the tourism map with their Fish Farm Aqua Tourism Project at Narakkal. People can spend a whole day here fishing, boating or just relaxing by the large pond. Heard so much about this place and watched some documentary videos on TV. This place is just 20Kms from my home at Kadavanthra and although I have been to Narakkal area few times before, it never ran through my mind to check this place out. So on one lazy day, decided to try this place with 2 other friends. We just wanted to have lunch somewhere outside city.

Day Trip to the Narakkal Fish Farm (Kerala)-narakkal-map.png

We started at 1:30 PM from Vyttila and took the Kathrikadavu - Kaloor - High Court route. With all the Metro works and busy traffic, drive till High Court Junction was tiring. Once we entered Goshree road, Civic was happy to cruise in the fresh air. Took about 20 mins to reach Narakkal from there. Take the first left after Narakkal Police Station and a 1km drive takes you to the Fish Farm. This road takes you all the way to the sea-shore and the road has fish ponds and greenery on either sides, making it a scenic drive. We reached there by 2:45 PM. Car Parking is opposite to the entrance of Farm and one has to park under extreme sun, not something I like, hmm...

Day Trip to the Narakkal Fish Farm (Kerala)-dsc_0112.jpg
Day Trip to the Narakkal Fish Farm (Kerala)-dsc_0057.jpg

We can see the large Pond with boats, a restaurant and a colorful bridge there. But first thing that caught our eyes were the Meal timings - from 12:30 - 3pm only. Since we were late and already hungry, we took the entry pass and rushed to the restaurant. Entry costs Rs.200 per adult and includes a welcome drink, fish curry meals, ice cream and the boating is free with this pass too. Entry timings are from 9.30am to 6pm.

Day Trip to the Narakkal Fish Farm (Kerala)-dsc_0111.jpg

Maybe we were too late that we didn't get the welcome drink nor the ice cream. But meals were good. There was fish curry and fish fry (a small piece). Special that day was Prawns Roast and Karimeen Fry which costs extra. So we bought that too and the extra bill came to 270rs which sounds reasonable. Food was delicious, not too spicy as we expected. Sorry! no photos as we were busy conquering whatever was on our table.

The farm offers facilities for relaxing on hammocks, swings or benches between shady coconut trees. There were small huts along the sides of pond with fishing rods tucked in the roof. One can indulge in some fishing action and take home the day's catch after paying a small amount. Alcohol and tobacco are not allowed inside the farm which is nice. Littering is also prohibited which makes it a clean place. Snacks and drinks are available at the restaurant if you want to go for a walk around the Pond. But Sun will be your worst enemy..

There's row boats and pedal boats on pond. But we made the mistake of not bringing any hats or umbrellas, so didn't bother to go for boating under the sun. Instead we picked ice creams and stayed at a hut and chit-chatted. One can hear the sea waves while sitting here as shore is just few hundred metres away.

Day Trip to the Narakkal Fish Farm (Kerala)-dsc_0059.jpg
Day Trip to the Narakkal Fish Farm (Kerala)-dsc_0066.jpg
Day Trip to the Narakkal Fish Farm (Kerala)-dsc_0067.jpg
Day Trip to the Narakkal Fish Farm (Kerala)-dsc_0098.jpg
Day Trip to the Narakkal Fish Farm (Kerala)-dsc_0106.jpg
Day Trip to the Narakkal Fish Farm (Kerala)-dsc_0108.jpg

We went back home at evening and gave the car a much-needed bath at Carz Spa, thanks to all-dusty roads in Kochi and the angry birds sure made a gesture while at the farm's parking area!!

Day Trip to the Narakkal Fish Farm (Kerala)-dsc_0115.jpg

Last edited by XtremeTorque : 30th September 2015 at 12:27.
XtremeTorque is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2015, 17:29   #2
BANNED

Default re: Day Trip to the Narakkal Fish Farm (Kerala)

Sounds like you didn't try landing some fishes. I have been here twice and could return with close to 2 kgs of pearl spots (yes, it is after making the payment). They provide country rods and atta which ideal for pearl spot fishing. Chappa beach is right next to the fish farm.
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2015, 20:34   #3
BHPian

Do they allow the use of personal fishing rods? Or do we have to take the rods for rent from them only?
john.gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2015, 23:10   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.gt View Post
Do they allow the use of personal fishing rods? Or do we have to take the rods for rent from them only?
They do give basic fishing roads for rent but I dont see any reason why you cant use yours if you got a better one. I'll definitely confirm that on my next visit. Fishing nets are not allowed.

This trip was a quick one and we were just looking for some place different to have lunch. Fishing didnt caught our attention and other groups who were fishing there didnt get anything worthwhile.
XtremeTorque is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2015, 12:53   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeTorque View Post
They do give basic fishing roads for rent but I dont see any reason why you cant use yours if you got a better one. I'll definitely confirm that on my next visit. Fishing nets are not allowed.

This trip was a quick one and we were just looking for some place different to have lunch. Fishing didnt caught our attention and other groups who were fishing there didnt get anything worthwhile.
Good to see that you are encroaching into one of my favorite jaunts. I am a frequent visitor there.
I do take my own fishing rod there and they have no objection. However, I do not find any difference in using my own imported rod as the chances for a catch is still the same if you use their rods. But you can get the bait (atta dough) from there. To get the their fishing rod & bait, you have to give a caution deposit of Rs 15/- or so, which is refunded when you return the rod. The ones which you found on the thatched roof could possibly be left by some visitors who forgot to return them.
Yes, parking in the hot sun is a setback! Well, select a rainy day. Then the car will get all dirty with all the sticky mud there.
philgrac is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote