Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 6th October 2015, 07:44   #1
BHPian

Default Punto diaries - Gokarna!

Long weekend. Every traveler has the same idea - head out far from chaos!
But in reality, chaos itself leaves the city. Because almost everyone seems to have hit the road.

Gokarna is one of my favorite places to visit. I'd traveled to the place two years in a row on my motorbike and with Bellissa (yeah that's what I call my Italian GF) having joined the family, I thought it was the best place to go to; again!

I made the booking almost a month in advance but all good stays were full and I'd to make do with SeaBird Resort, Om beach road despite looking at it's 3/5 ratings. In reality, they deserve only 1 out of 5!

I'd my colleague with me as she enjoys travelling, rather sleeping all the way and by the time the destination is reached; she unleashes all energy she saved throughout the journey into jumping around the whole place.

We left Bangalore at 4:30 AM, when the traffic of city leavers would be low. I have seen people leave by 5:30 and by then Tumkur-Chitradurga highway is a mess!
Having a lady along means planning proper pitstops for food and hygienic rest rooms. So, I'd marked Hotel Mysore Cafe just after Chitradurga as the apt pitstop.

We stopped midway to watch the sunrise and it looked surreal.

Punto diaries - Gokarna!-dsc_0004.jpg

Punto diaries - Gokarna!-dsc_0016.jpg

Looked at the MID to check the mileage my petrol powered Italian was giving and I almost got a heart attack! I'm a light footed driver and this entire trip I touched 3 digits less than 5 times. Mostly, it was between 80-95 kmph with constant AC at 25 degrees, but the figure of almost 19 kmpl was bewildering!

Punto diaries - Gokarna!-dsc_0009.jpg

Few pics later we hit the road again and proceeded to our planned pitstop.

Punto diaries - Gokarna!-dsc06518.jpg

After an hour of chit chat, food, freshening up and roaming around, we could see people pouring in hence we decided to leave the place.
Next pitstop would be Hotel Delhi Darbaar outside Bankapur (after Haveri).

Punto diaries - Gokarna!-dsc06707.jpg

2 hours later, we reached Delhi Darbaar, but neither of us two were hungry. We just freshed up and straightened our limbs for some time. Got a dozen bananas for the journey.

The fun began once we entered state highway, passing through small towns and villages. We took the very standard route through Bankapur - Hangal - Sirsi - Kumta - Gokarna.
Roads in Hangal reminded me of certain Bangalore roads, they were that bad! They haven't been repaired/re-laid in years.

We were the only ones occupying the road most of the times and hence there was no stress, however I was ever so vigilant.

After about 10 hours, we were nearing Gokarna. We again thought of taking a small stop and then switching on the offline maps (HERE, on android); but the heat was oppressive. I guess, it was the humidity that got to us. We immediately ran back to the car and decided that we would rely on JPS (Janta Positioning System) to locate the hotel. However it was very easy to find the same. We kept heading towards Om beach and some 4 km away, we saw a board marking our hotel.

We checked in at about 3 PM and informed our family members of the same. Here we realized why the hotel/resort had a bad rating! Windows won't open properly and the bathroom door won't close! Fought with the receptionist for a new room who could only say that all rooms are booked. However, this isn't what I'd paid for and returning/finding a new place wasn't even an option. There was a room that was to be occupied at night by another family and I talked through to getting that one after a lengthy hour long discussion.

There were no towels (we carried ours) or soaps either. Being 2nd October, all shops were shut. Hence; I'd to use my beloved Cinthol for toiletery purposes!
However, food was decent and competitively priced. Chicken masala and rotis for both of us cost 300 rupees.

Punto diaries - Gokarna!-dsc_0023.jpg

It rained throughout the evening and we simply roamed the surroundings under our umbrellas.
In the meanwhile, the resort warden got the bathroom in the other room, initially allotted to us mended.

Came back, had dinner and slept like a baby. Next day - Kudle!

We headed to Kudle in the morning and the plan was to return by evening and explore the local market. And that's what we did!

Boat rides, banana rides, dolphin sighting, capturing people and tanning on the beach, that's what we did throughout the day.

Punto diaries - Gokarna!-dsc06575.jpg

Punto diaries - Gokarna!-dsc_0030.jpg

Punto diaries - Gokarna!-dsc_0032.jpg

Punto diaries - Gokarna!-dsc_0041.jpg

Punto diaries - Gokarna!-dsc_0047.jpg

Punto diaries - Gokarna!-dsc_0058.jpg

Punto diaries - Gokarna!-dsc_0074.jpg

Punto diaries - Gokarna!-dsc_0086.jpg

Punto diaries - Gokarna!-dsc_0104.jpg

Punto diaries - Gokarna!-dsc_0105.jpg

Punto diaries - Gokarna!-dsc_0107.jpg

Punto diaries - Gokarna!-dsc06600.jpg

Punto diaries - Gokarna!-dsc06641.jpg

I was saddened to see the poverty in actual Gokarna town, small homes, smaller shops. This was a striking difference from the resort side of Gokarna. Indeed, rich have got richer and poor poorer. Got a few thiings from the local market and head back to the hotel.

Punto diaries - Gokarna!-dsc_0135.jpg

Interesting graffiti on the shops.

Punto diaries - Gokarna!-dsc_0141.jpg

Came back to the hotel and just lay down. Had dinner at night when a kitten was making a lot of noise. It was about 12 AM. Captured it from the balcony.

Punto diaries - Gokarna!-dsc_0146.jpg

Then, I saw the moon cast a lovely halo and captured the same!

Punto diaries - Gokarna!-dsc_0167.jpg

Next morning, we checked out at 6 AM and head back to Bangalore, stopping at the same places.

Stopped at few lovely places en-route to admire the view and my car.

Punto diaries - Gokarna!-dsc06688.jpg

Punto diaries - Gokarna!-dsc06691.jpg

Punto diaries - Gokarna!-dsc06701.jpg

Punto diaries - Gokarna!-dsc06703.jpg

Reached home just after 4 Pm after a relaxed drive.

Got a very good mileage overall. Who says Punto is a petrol guzzler?

Punto diaries - Gokarna!-p_20151004_160835.jpg

Punto diaries - Gokarna!-p_20151004_160842.jpg

That's it, a short log of my weekend outing. Till next time, see ya!

THE END!

Last edited by Divya Sharan : 6th October 2015 at 07:49. Reason: Grammar.
Divya Sharan is offline   (18) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2015, 17:10   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Punto diaries - Gokarna!

Nice little travelogue.

Don't they have any homestays at Gokarna. I'd much rather look for a homestay than a resort in small towns.

That said, Gokarna beach looks nice and clean. Hope it remains like that in the years to come.

The Punto seems to be holding up very well too. Do think of penning down a review.
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2015, 17:15   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Nice little travelogue.

Don't they have any homestays at Gokarna. I'd much rather look for a homestay than a resort in small towns.

That said, Gokarna beach looks nice and clean. Hope it remains like that in the years to come.

The Punto seems to be holding up very well too. Do think of penning down a review.
Thanks! The ownership review would come soon. 5k shall see it going for 1st service/checkup at the ASC. So, I would have a brief idea and experience by then to put up a report here.
Gokarna has few homestays and beach side shacks, but I was late in booking, hence had to make do with the (so called) resort.

Om beach is often frequented by people and it is dirty. Kudle is relatively clean. Half moon, Paradise and God's own beach are again clean because people don't frequent them.
Divya Sharan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 07:59   #4
BHPian

Crisp writing and photos.

There were few issues in Gokarna during 2011-12 times when I visited. Judging by your TL, everything looks normal now.

Me too, waiting for someone to write a detailed Ownership review of Punto Petrol

Regards
chandrda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 08:49   #5
BHPian

Kudle beach indeed is a much better place than the popular 'OM' beach. Much cleaner & no dearth of shacks. I spent 3 days in a shack there with my school-buddies back in 2010 and had one of the best times there with awesome massage/s, great food and drinks.

But isn't the parking on the hill and you have to walk down a considerable distance? We hired a cab from bangalore , so didnt bother much as the driver stayed in the car. How's the situation now? Can we take our own cars?
SoumenD is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 11:25   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
Crisp writing and photos.

There were few issues in Gokarna during 2011-12 times when I visited. Judging by your TL, everything looks normal now.

Me too, waiting for someone to write a detailed Ownership review of Punto Petrol

Regards
Thanks!
I shall put an ownership thread in a month's time.
I went there by bike in 2013, 2014 and this year by car. I didn't face any issues. However, there was some sort of checking done by police in 2013. They checked my saddlebags for some stolen stuff. Otherwise, pretty normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
But isn't the parking on the hill and you have to walk down a considerable distance? We hired a cab from bangalore , so didnt bother much as the driver stayed in the car. How's the situation now? Can we take our own cars?
Yes you can take your car there. The parking to Om Beach is up the hill and you have to get down some 100 stairs to the beach.
For Kudle beach, you've dedicated parking in the form of an open field and then you have to trek for a modest 1 km or so. Not too difficult at all.

Last edited by Divya Sharan : 7th October 2015 at 11:29.
Divya Sharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2015, 15:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post

Gokarna is one of my favorite places to visit. I'd traveled to the place two years in a row on my motorbike and with Bellissa (yeah that's what I call my Italian GF) having joined the family, I thought it was the best place to go to; again!
Woah Divya, your Bellissa looks B-E-A-Uuuu-TIFUL in those frames and what a travelogue to add to it.

Om Beach has been on cards for a while now for me & wifey, but somehow has not materialized. After looking at your travelogue, I guess things will finally start rolling.

P.S - Looking forward for a detailed report on your 'Bellissa Companionship' and lots more pics of your Italian GF

Last edited by Vik0728 : 8th October 2015 at 15:20.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2015, 15:40   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Woah Divya, your Bellissa looks B-E-A-Uuuu-TIFUL in those frames and what a travelogue to add to it.
Thanks a lot sire!

Quote:
Om Beach has been on cards for a while now for me & wifey, but somehow has not materialized. After looking at your travelogue, I guess things will finally start rolling.
Yes, you should visit the place. Just that it's too hot now. November - December maybe a better time, but that would be like off season.

Quote:
P.S - Looking forward for a detailed report on your 'Bellissa Companionship' and lots more pics of your Italian GF
Coming soon!
Divya Sharan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote