Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 1st November 2015, 07:29   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default 6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip

A road trip to Rajasthan and Agra was in the pipeline for some time and we are happy that the trip finally materialized.
Myself, wife and our 5 year old daughter completed this road trip in our trusted 5 year old Ford Fiesta Petrol with 53K KMS on the Odometer. Even though road trips were not new to us, we initially had apprehensions as all of us were new to North India and this was our longest trip so far. Some called us crazy but many encouraged us. However, as we started planning the apprehension turned to excitement and all of us couldn't wait for the trip.

We planned the trip in such a way that it coincided with the Dusserah holidays of our daughter. We started the 14 days trip on October 10th and came back on October 23rd. We drove 6122 KMs. Entered 6 states - Karnataka, Maharashtra, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Utter Pradesh & Madhya Pradeesh. We paid a toll of Rs 4,700/- passing through 70+ toll booths. Refueled 19 times filling 427 Litres of Petrol and spent Rs 27,826/- on fuel. Passed through many villages, towns and cities. There were days when we had magnificent views of sunrise and sunset from the car, a day when we had break fast at Rajasthan, lunch at Madhya Pradesh and Dinner at Maharashtra, a day when we drove 1000+ KMs.

We
drove through country side, drove through cities.
drove through desert, drove through mountains.
drove through roads that had cattle sleeping in the middle, drove through world class roads like the Mumbai-Pune Expressway.
tasted food from road side dhabas, tasted food from classy hotels which had the charm of ancient hawelis.

We came back with lot of experiences that will be etched in our memories for ever. We came across village folks who we thought existed only in pre independent India. Passed through kind of villages that we have seen only in movies. We visited the Kumbalgarh fort, which has the second largest wall in the world after the Great Wall of China. Explored the city Palaces in Udaipur and Jaipur and the Mehrangarh fort in Jodhpur. The 2 hour camel ride to watch the sun set in the sand dunes of Jaisalmer was quite an experience. Saw an Oasis in the Thar on the way. Lying in the desert after dinner gazing umpteen stars in the Sky was something to cherish. We almost drove near the Indo - Pak border to visit Tanot Mata Temple which is very popular among the locals because it is believed that the bombs planted by the Pakisthan army during 1965 Indo Pak war near the temple did not explode due to the power of Tanot Mata. The temple is currently managed by BSF and road from Jaisalmer to Tanot passing through Thar desert is maintained by Border Roads Organisation. We were also fortunate to Visit the Jaisalmer war musuem which showcases the glorious history of the Indian Army. Watching the short video about the 1971 Indo - Pak war and exploring the vehicles and equipment captured from Pakisthan during the war were some experiences that made us proud as Indians.

We had toll booth attendants in Rajasthan and Maharashtra trying to talk to us in their broken Malayalam. Petrol pump attendants who were surprised to see that we drove a Petrol car all the way from Bangalore. Restaurant managers/owners in road side restaurants who came out to welcome us to their restaurants.We are glad that mostly we came across warm and gentle people.

Our car, which we consider as a family member, behaved impeccably during the entire trip and returned a mileage of 14.31 KM/L.

The trip was an experience of a life time and one that gave us a sense of accomplishment. We are happy that the road network of our country has improved a lot. We are now looking forward to our next road trip.

The Map

6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-map.jpg

The Trip Summary

6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-trip-summary.jpg

Before I start with the travelogue, let me thank the following Team BHPians who helped me.

hvkumar - Contacted HVK Sir before the trip and he gave the itinerary. used the services of HVK CHD for Hotel bookings and route planning. Through out the trip, HVK sir gave us route updates on the go through whatsapp and voice calls.

arun_josie - Thanks for his detailed travelogue (7618 kms Summer Road-Trip: Bangalore -> Kausani (Uttarakhand) -> Kanyakumari). He shared the detailed plan of his trip and also gave his phone number to be contacted for any help. We also had a quick chat the day before the trip.

Nikhilb2008 - Got the wheel alignment and balancing done at Madhus enterprises. After the work, I was feeling a slight vibration in the steering. Called Nikhil and he assured to get it checked and it was fixed to my satisfaction at Madhus. I would have ignored this issue if I was not going for such a long trip as it was very minor but Nikhil insisted that I get it checked so that I can drive with peace of mind. Nikhil also called me and gave valuable tips from his Rajasthan trip.

paragsachania - Thanks for the information that he shared here thread (Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai: Route updates & Eateries). He also offered his phone number to be contacted for any queries on Bangalore - Mumbai route inspite of being busy with work.

bigvishnu - Vishnu contacted me when he found from some of my posts that both of us were planning a Rajasthan trip at the same time. We happened to book the same hotel in Jaisalmer and on the same days! He gave details of the desert safari that he had booked and I also booked the same. Had a nice time with Vishnu and family at Jaisalmer.

Last, but not the least, to all TeamBHPians who had written detailed travelogues about their road trips, who posted details of road conditions based on their drives and who answered my queries in Team BHP.

Day 0 - Friday, October 9th. Packing, Packing, Packing

We had made check list of things to be taken and washed all clothes before. We underestimated the time that it would take to put the dress in to different bags. We started at 4:00 PM and it was 8:00 PM when we loaded the luggage into the car. We packed the clothes in small bags in such a way that the dress that would be used in each destination is packed is a separate bag. Planned to go to bed at 9:00 PM but could go to bed only at 10:00 PM. I also wanted to finish a novel that I was reading before the trip and did that from 9:00 PM to 9:45 PM.

Day 1 - Saturday, October 10th. Bangalore - Thane

Started at 4:45 AM from Whitefield, 15 mins late than the planned start time. Stopped for a petrol top up at the Shell Outlet at Mahadevpura. Crossed Tumkur at 6:20 AM, Chitradurga at 7:40 AM and stopped for refuel and break fast at Kamat, Ranibennur from 8:40 AM - 9:25 AM. Distance 319 KMs. Crossed Hubli at 10:40 AM. The 2 lane Hubli-Dharwad bypass which is 30 odd KMs reduced the average speed. Not sure why this is still a 2 lane road. This stretch is quite dangerous too. Crossed Belgaum at 11:50 AM and stopped for lunch at Hotel Amar from 12:36 PM to 1:25 PM, distance - 600 KMs. Service was a bit slow but the food was tasty. Stopped for refuel before Maharashtra border as fuel is cheaper in Karnataka.

Once we entered Maharashtra, traffic increased and the speed reduced considerably. Road surface was also not as good as Karnataka. Crossed Kolhapur at 2:10 PM and Satara at 3:45 PM. Stopped for a tea break after Satara for 20 mins. Encountered heavy rain after by around 5:00 PM but did not last long but it was still drizzling when we entered Pune bypass at 5:45 PM. Encountered some traffic at Pune bypass. While nearing Pune, got message from HVK about our accommodation at Thane. He also gave detailed directions to the place. Entered the Pune - Mumbai expressway at 6:10 PM. Stopped for fuel again at the Express way outlet. Exited the expressway at 7:30 PM - distance 990 KMs. Followed the directions given by HVK and reached Thane at 9:00 PM. Had some confusion to locate the service apartment as google maps was not working. Called HVK sir who patiently gave us directions & stayed on voice call till we reached the place. Had dinner at the Service Apartment, had a quick chat with HVK on the plan for next day and slept.

Some pictures of day 1.

Wondeful 6 lane road from Tumkur to Chitradurga ~ 130 KMS
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-001-nh4-between-tumkur-chitradurga.jpg

Near Belgaum
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-002-nh4-near-belgaum.jpg
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-002-nh4-near-belgaum.jpg

View of Karnataka Secretariat at Belgaum
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-003-view-karnataka-secretariat-belgaum.jpg

Day 2 - Sunday, October 11th. Thane - Udaipur

Started from Thane at 7:20 AM after a cup of Tea. Stopped for breakfast just before Gujarat border from 9:06 - 9:30 AM - Distance 110 KMS. Kept in touch with HVK on Whatsapp and he gave directions to go through Golden bridge to avoid jams on NH8. Passed through golden bridge without any difficulties and stopped for a refuel later. Stopped for lunch from 1:30 PM to 2:05 PM. Even though the NH8 is six lane, it has heavy truck traffic and thus maintaining a good average speed is tough. Reached Vododara bypass at 2:35 PM and exited NH 8 to Halol - Godhra - Modasa - Shamlaji route to avoid Ahmedabad. HVK sir was coming back from Himachal via Ahmedabad. Unfortunately, could not meet him because we exited NH8 at Vododhara bypass before he reached This route which avoids Ahmedabad is a 4 lane Gujarat state highway but has less traffic and hence could maintain a higher average speed. My wife drove for around 90 KMs in this stretch. This helped me relax and I became fresh. Took the wheel back after re entering NH8. Stopped for a refuel before exiting Gujarat as Petrol was cheap in Gujarat. Entered Rajasthan at 6:20 PM. The road surface in Rajasthan was patchy. Reached Hotel Uddhav Vilas at Udaipur at 8:05 PM. Had booked this hotel because it had a basement parking unlike most hotels in Udaipur that do not have parking. But the entry was very narrow and had a steep slope. The road also had continuous flow of traffic. I tried to reverse the car into the parking lot but realized that the car's under body would scrap. Finally the hotel assured that it would be safe to park in front of the hotel as they have 24 hour security. They moved a Duster that was parked in front of the Hotel and made space for my car. Checked in to the room, freshened up and ordered food into the room. The paneer butter masala they served was excellent.

Some pictures.

6 Lane NH 8
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-001-6-lane-road-mumbai-ahmedabad.jpg

Golden Bridge
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-002-6-golden-bridge.jpg

Gujarat State Highway between Godhra & Shamlaji
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-003-gujarat-state-highway.jpg

Rajasthan Entry
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-004-rajasthan-entry.jpg

Day 3 - Monday, October 12th. Udaipur site seeing

Some pictures.

Udaipur city palace
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-001-udaipur-city-palace.jpg
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-002-udaipur-city-palace-lake.jpg

Saw this procession with camel carts
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-004-camel-procession-2.jpg

Day 4 - Tuesday, October 13th. Udaipur - Kumbalgarh - Jodhpur

Started from Udaipur at 7:45 AM. Had break fast on the way and reached Kumbalgarh Fort at 11:00 AM. Distance - 118 KMS. Kumbalgarh Fort is maintained by ASI and hence entry is cheap unlike Udaipur city palace which is very expensive. The place is neatly maintained and we were very impressed. Spent 3 hours here. Kumbalgarh Fort was not part of our plan but it was included by HVK sir. Thanks to him. In fact, this was the place that we enjoyed the most.

Had lunch at a nearby Hotel and left Kumbalgarh by 3:00 PM. The route taken was Kumbalgarh - Ranakpur - Falna - Sanderao - Pali -Jodhpur. Kumbalgarsh to Sandero had some bad roads but it was excellent 4 lane road from Sanderao tiil Jodhpur. Reached Hotel Devi Bhawan at 7:30 PM.

This place exceeded our expectations and I would recommend this place. Excellent rooms, nice staff, lot of trees, car parking, swimming pool etc. Only drawback is that the food was not great.

Some pictures of the day.

NH 76 - Udaipur to Jaswantgarh
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-001-udaipur-kumbalgargh.jpg

Rajasthan village road
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-0011-way-kumbalgarh-rajasthani-viilage.jpg

My car at Kumbalgarh parking
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-003-kumbalgargh-fort-parking.jpg

Pictures of Fort

6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-002-kumbalgargh-fort.jpg
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-002-kumbalgargh-fort-2.jpg
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-003-kumbalgargh-fort-view-top.jpg

Day 5 - Wednesday, October 14th. Jodhpur Site Seeing

Took the car to visit Mehrangarh fort. Google maps guided us into a narrow street through which only one vehicle could pass at a time. Vehicles started coming in opposite direction and maps was guiding us through narrower streets. Asked the local auto drivers and they guided us the way to exit the maze. Unfortunately all roads were narrow but people were really cooperative and moved two wheelers parked on side to make way for us. Was able to exit the narrow streets unscathed and took the proper route to Mehrangarh fort. We also visited the Jaswant Thada. Some pictures.

Mehrangarh Fort
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-001-mehrangarh-fort.jpg
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-001-mehrangarh-fort-2.jpg
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-001-mehrangarh-fort-3.jpg

Jaswant Thada
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-004-jaswant-thada.jpg

Umaid Bhavan Palace
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-005-umaid-bhavan-palace.jpg

Day 6 - Thursday, October 15th. Jodhpur-Jaisalmer-Tanot-Jaisalmer

Started from Jodhpur at 7:15 AM. Jodhpur - Jaisalmer via Pokhran is a 2 lane road with no toll, sparse traffic and good surface but cannot drive at high speeds due to stray cattle. Reached Jaisalmer at 12:15 PM - Distance 287 KMS. Started to Tanot at 1:00 PM after lunch and reached at 3:15 PM. Roads were good except for some 2 KM stretch where work was going on. Spent around 30 mins at the Tanot Mata temple and started at 3:45 PM. Reached Hotel Helsinki House at 5:35 PM. Will not recommend this hotel. Booked this based on excellent reviews and the pictures. Things are OK once you get into the Hotel but the surroundings and the approach road are terrible with stinking open drains.

TeamBHPian bigvishnu had already reached there in his rented car. Met him and had dinner with Vishnu and family later at the roof top restaurant of the Hotel. Some pictures of the day.

Road from Jodhpur to Jaisalmer
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-001-jodhpur-jaisalmer.jpg

Spotted lot of Military trucks on the way
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-002-military-trucks.jpg

On the way to Tanot
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-003-tanot-longewalajpg.jpg
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-004-tanot-longewalajpg.jpg
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-005-tanot-longewalajpg.jpg
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-006-tanot-longewalajpg.jpg

Last edited by pramodpk : 13th November 2015 at 19:30.
pramodpk is offline   (13) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2015, 06:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default re: 6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip

Day 7 - Friday, October 16th. Jaisalmer site seeing & desert safari

Visited the Jaisalmer war museum after break fast. Spend around 2 hours there. Nice experience. I would recommend to visit this place before visiting Tanot. It's on the way to Jaisalmer from Jodhpur/Bikaner and around 10 KMs before Jaisalmer on the highway. Some pictures.

6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-001-war-musuem.jpg

IAF Plane used in the war
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-002-war-musuem-plane.jpg

Captured Pakisthani Tanks along with Indian tank
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-war-museum-tanks.jpg

Captured Pakisthani radar
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-003-war-museum-captured-pakistan-radar.jpg

Inside the museum
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-005-war-museum-inside-pic.jpg

Came back to the hotel, had lunch and got ready for the safari. Had booked Trotter's half day sunset tour. They picked us up from the Hotel along with Vishnu and family. First stopped at an Oasis in the desert and then proceeded to the camel safari. The almost 2 hour long safari was a torture for us and the animals. Legs started paining after the initial 5 minutes and it persisted till the end. We had lot of expectations and were waiting to see the dunes but could see the dunes in the last 5 minutes. Could have reached the place in a jeep in 10 minutes. We reached just before sunset and thus could not enjoy it much as it became dark very soon. They served snacks followed by dinner and finally dropped us back at the hotel by 9:30 PM. Must mention that the staff, especially the jeep driver, was very nice. Some pictures.

Oasis
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-001-oasis.jpg

The camels ready for safari
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-002-safari-camels.jpg

The sand dunes
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-003-sand-dunes.jpg

Day 8 - Saturday, October 17th. Jaisalmer - Jaipur

HVK suggested 2 routes to Jaipur. The first via Jodhpur & the second via Naguar. Did not want to drive all the way back to Jodhpur and hence took the route via Nagaur. Google maps showed around 10 hours to Jaipur and we took it easy. Started from Jaisalmer at 9:30 AM and this was a mistake which we realised after reaching Nagaur. Things were OK till we reached Nagaur via Pokhran - Phalodi. We reached Naguar at 3:00 PM with a lunch and fuel break in between but did not find any sign boards to Jaipur. Could not talk to HVK as he was in a meeting but he messaged us to take the route via Ajmer or via Sujangarh - Ratangarh. Followed the sign boards to Ajmer and were relieved to see good road. But our relief was short lived as we hit a diversion soon due to road work. This was a narrow road and had to reverse once for the oncoming traffic. Google maps was guiding us through narrow streets and we ignored it and took the wider route. Google map soon rerouted and showed 3 hours to Ajmer for a distance of 120 odd KMs. At this point, we were worried whether we would make it to Jaipur. The road was OK but soon after turned narrow. This was OK since there was no traffic but soon after traffic increased and had to stop for each and every vehicle coming from opposite and take the car off tarmac. We drove through the narrow road for around 40 odd KMs. We think, we deviated from the highway and took a parallel state highway to Ajmer. Joined the higway to Ajmer later but it still had diversions due to construction of bypasses to towns. There were some excellent sections followed by diversions. Lot of time was lost due to entry to towns. It was 6:00 PM when we reached Pushkar. Were relieved to hit the Ajmer - Jaipur 6 lane road by 7:15 PM. Took tea break. The road, though six lane had heavy traffic and drive was little stressful. To add to the woes, in the last few KMs (Around 5 KMs) one side was closed due to road work. It was 9:55 PM when we reached our Hotel in Jaipur. Total distance 629 KMs.

We had booked Hotel Tara Niwas.
This is an old Haveli converted to a Hotel. We had booked for 3 nights here and the plan was to drive to Agra, stay at Agra and start the return journey from there. We were very impressed with the place that we decided to extend the stay by one more day and do a Jaipur - Agra - Jaipur one day. Tara Niwas had a nice homely feel, had an old world charm, was value for money, had excellent staff, rooms though old were neat, had facilities like locker, mini fridge, big LED TV with regional channel, morning newspaper and a decent restaurant. We had booked Superior room which had an extra sofa-cum bed. They gave packed breakfast when we drove to Agra. We had nice time enjoying our morning tea in their lawns with rabbits & a guinea pig for company. They have space to park around 6 - 7 cars in 2 lanes. We did not face any issues as they also had 24 hours security. The place is also close to City Palace, Pink city etc.

Some pictures of Tara Niwas.

6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-front.jpg
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-lawn.jpg
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-coridoor.jpg
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-room.jpg

Day 9 - Sunday, October 18th & Day 11 Tuesday, October 20th - Jaipur

Some pictures

Hawa Mahal
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-001-hawa-mahal.jpg

Pink City
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-001-pink-city.jpg

Amber Fort
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-002-amber-fort-2.jpg

City Palace
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-003-city-palace.jpg
Spotted this Ambassador at the city palace
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-003-city-palace-ambassador.jpg
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-004-city-palace-2.jpg
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-005-city-palace-2.jpg

The city palace was little disappointing because only a small portion of it is open to public. Can be finished in less than an hour.

Day 10 - Monday, October 19th Jaipur - Agra - Jaipur

Started at 6:20 AM from the Hotel. Stopped on the way to have packed breakfast given from the Hotel. Roads were decent except the last 20 - 30 KMs which is 2 lane. Negotiating through narrow roads of Agra was difficult with confusing sign boards. I expected better approach roads to the Taj Mahal. As directed by Vishnu, we went to the West gate parking. As soon as we parked the car, we were surrounded by guides, camel cart, 3 wheeled carts and what not. Ignored them and walked to the ticket counter. The pathway was terrible. We were continuously pestered by guides until we entered the Taj. Even though things were fine once we entered the compound, the whole experience spoiled our mood. They also were not allowing people to stand inside the Taj. Came out in about 1.5 hours and started the return journey by 1:00 PM. Got stuck in a railway crossing in Agra for 20 - 25 mins for a goods train to pass. Had a horrible lunch in a restaurant on the way and again got stuck in another town because people drove on the opposite side creating a bottle neck. Reached hotel at Jaipur at 7:30 PM with a tea break in between. Sincerely feel that the Taj and its premises should be maintained much better.

Some pictures

6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-001-car-highway.jpg
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-002-agra.jpg
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-003-agra-fort.jpg

Day 12 - Wednesday, October 21st. Jaipur - Dhule

Started from Jaipur at 6:00 AM as the target of the day, Dhule was almost 900 KMs away. One lane of NH8 to Kishangarh was blocked for almost 5 KMs due to road work making us to move at 50 KM/H. Passed Nazirabad at 8:00 AM, Bhilwara at 9:30 AM and stopped for break fast for 30 mins. Road condition was not great from Kishangarh with some potholes and rough sections. Entered Madhya Pradesh at 11:45 AM. Roads were good in MP, traffic and toll rates were less. Passed Neemuch by 12:00 noon and stopped for lunch before Ratlam from 1:40 PM to 2:10 PM - distance 517 KMS. Started seeing sign boards to Dhule & Mumbai after Ratlam. Reached Lebad at 3:45 PM where we exited the NH and took the Lebad - Manpur 4 lane road. The NH goes to Indore. Entered Maharasthra at 5:45 PM and checked in to the hotel booked by HVK CHD at 7:45 PM. The last few KMS on Indore - Mumbai highway had single lane traffic due to road work. This reduced the speed a bit. But they still collected exorbitant toll on this WIP stretch. Toll rates (and fuel) in Maharashtra were the highest. The Manpur- Dhule road passed through some Ghat sections and was scenic.

Some pictures

MP roads
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-001-mp-road.jpg
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-002-mp-road.jpg

Day 13 - Thurday, October 22nd. Dhule - Belgaum

Started at 6:15 AM and stopped for break fast before Nashik for about 40 mins. Crossed Nashik at 9:00 AM. The road was scenic. Reached Thane at 11:00 AM. It was a breeze to cross Mumbai via the Eastern Express way and Sion Panvel Express way. Entered the Mumbai Pune express way at 12:10 PM .Stopped for lunch somewhere near Pune bypass from 1:25 PM to 2:05 PM. Crossed Satara at 4:00 PM and stopped for lunch soon after. We were also in touch with HVK for Hotel bookings. He gave options to halt at Belgaum or Hubli. Even though we could have made it to Hubli, did not want to do it. So decided to stay in Belgaum. Passed Kolhapur at 6:00 PM, Nippani at 6:25 PM and checked into the Hotel at 7:30 PM with a fuel break in between.

Some pictures.

Between Dhule & Nashik
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-001.jpg

The scenic Nashik - Mumbai express way
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-001a-2.jpg
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-002-2.jpg

The wide Eastern Express way - Thane to Mumbai
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-003-2.jpg

The Mumbai Pune Express way
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-005.jpg
6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-mumbai-pune-expressway.jpg

Last edited by pramodpk : 13th November 2015 at 19:38.
pramodpk is offline   (13) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2015, 18:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

Day 14 - Friday, October 23rd. Belgaum - Bangalore

Started at 6:45 AM after a cup of Tea. Stopped for fuel after Hubli and then breakfast at Kamat. Reached Chitradurga at 11:00 AM and reached Whitefield at 1:45 PM thus concluding our 14 day trip.

We were glad to complete the trip without any untoward incidents. Had planned to reach home by late evening but reached before time. We had 2.5 days to rest

Took the car to 3M car care on Sunday and pampered it with a Foam wash and polishing.

6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip-car.jpg

Some points.

1. Read reviews about a place before visiting. Read the negative reviews more carefully as this will help you to avoid being conned. This will also help you decide whether to visit the place or not. Don't visit a place because others visited it. See whether it's interesting to you and then make a decision.

2. Even though we had food from many road side eateries, did not have any stomach issues. We drank only branded mineral water and also had food that was freshly prepared.

3. I always made it a point to fill Petrol before it went below the half way mark except on the last day when I knew that I would get good quality fuel. If I was not confident of the quality of fuel at a fuel station, did not fill the tank. Also, many fuel pump attendants initially thought that mine was a diesel car. Make sure to get out and double check that they are indeed filling the correct fuel.

3. Fuel was cheapest in Gujarat and Costliest in Maharashtra. Almost same in Rajasthan & MP. Marginally cheaper in Karnataka.

4. Toll rates were high in Maharashtra. Roads not so great.

Thanks for Reading!

Last edited by pramodpk : 13th November 2015 at 19:39.
pramodpk is offline   (17) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2015, 12:09   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section) to Travelogues. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2015, 13:56   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: 6122 kms, 6 States, 14 Days: Bangalore - Rajasthan - Agra Road Trip

Nice report and great pictures Pramod. That is quite a drive. Congratulations.

This kind of a trip is something I hope to do sometime soon.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2015, 18:27   #6
Team-BHP Support

I don't even have to say anything about your long distance driving. You, Arun, Parag and all are equivalent of what endurance running is for marathon!

Hope you guys enjoyed the state of Rajasthan. I keep maintaining the fact it's one one of the most amazing states to visit for all the places and the food!
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2015, 21:13   #7
BHPian

Nice travelogue and kudos for planning and executing the entire journey in a crisp manner. It is no small feat to cover all these places within 14 days. I realize that you faced lot of difficulty while reaching Jaipur from Jaisalmer via Nagaur. It is always to pleasure to read travelogues describing your state from an outsider's perspective.

Rajasthan has worked a lot in improving the road infrastructure all through the state and it is going to improve further in coming years. Most of the state highways are newly laid out and pleasure to drive.
The route that you took is currently under repair; road widening and bypass are being constructed across most of the cities. Lot of diversions and uneven road surfaces.

Actually there is another route from Nagaur to Jaipur that is preferred for reaching Jaipur. Nagaur - Khatu - Kuchaman - Nawa - Jobner - Jaipur. There are proper bypass for all the cities and you just need to negotiate heavy traffic once you reach Jaipur city limits.

It is newly prepared two lane state highway and has very less traffic. Only a small stretch of 5 km is unfinished. It takes me 3.5 hours to cover 245 km distance from Nagaur to Jaipur. You can comfortably maintain decent average speed here, one need to keep an eye out for steep curves that need caution while negotiating them.
amikacin is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2015, 07:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Nice report and great pictures Pramod. That is quite a drive. Congratulations.

This kind of a trip is something I hope to do sometime soon.
Thanks a lot. In fact, I was encouraged by the previous travelogues and glad to know that my trip log did the same to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I don't even have to say anything about your long distance driving. You, Arun, Parag and all are equivalent of what endurance running is for marathon!

Hope you guys enjoyed the state of Rajasthan. I keep maintaining the fact it's one one of the most amazing states to visit for all the places and the food!
Thanks a lot Ampere. We enjoyed Rajasthan and the entire drive. In fact, the numerous trip logs on this wonderful forum gave us the confidence that we also can do this. I believe that such a trip can be done by anyone who is passionate about road trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amikacin View Post
Nice travelogue and kudos for planning and executing the entire journey in a crisp manner. It is no small feat to cover all these places within 14 days. I realize that you faced lot of difficulty while reaching Jaipur from Jaisalmer via Nagaur. It is always to pleasure to read travelogues describing your state from an outsider's perspective.

Rajasthan has worked a lot in improving the road infrastructure all through the state and it is going to improve further in coming years. Most of the state highways are newly laid out and pleasure to drive.
The route that you took is currently under repair; road widening and bypass are being constructed across most of the cities. Lot of diversions and uneven road surfaces.

Actually there is another route from Nagaur to Jaipur that is preferred for reaching Jaipur. Nagaur - Khatu - Kuchaman - Nawa - Jobner - Jaipur. There are proper bypass for all the cities and you just need to negotiate heavy traffic once you reach Jaipur city limits.

It is newly prepared two lane state highway and has very less traffic. Only a small stretch of 5 km is unfinished. It takes me 3.5 hours to cover 245 km distance from Nagaur to Jaipur. You can comfortably maintain decent average speed here, one need to keep an eye out for steep curves that need caution while negotiating them.
Thanks a lot. We enjoyed the wonderful hospitality of people in Rajasthan. No wonder it is a favourite tourist destination. Also, good to see that government is pro actively building good roads and bypasses anticipating higher traffic in future. The route that we took from Naguar to Jaipur was 300 KMs long and took almost 7 hours with breaks but glad that nothing untoward happened.
pramodpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2015, 17:10   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on finishing this cross-country trip successfully!! These kind of drives gives us loads of memories to reminisce in the future.

A superbly written travelogue with some nice pics!

Your experience with the agents at the Taj Mahal was no different from ours. I agree that it really spoils our mood when we are at a glorious place like the Taj.

I felt that you could have tried the first leg of the Yamuna expressway from Agra. Or have you done this before?

Even we faced issues with GPS especially in Udaipur and Agra. It took us through some very narrow roads.

We have plan for a GJ, RJ trip, so bookmarking this thread for my future reference.

Best of luck for your next trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
a day when we had break fast at Rajasthan, lunch at Madhya Pradesh and Dinner at Maharashtra, a day when we drove 1000+ KMs.
We did something similar, Breakfast @ MH, Lunch @ KA and dinner @ TN.
arun_josie is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2015, 06:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Congratulations on finishing this cross-country trip successfully!! These kind of drives gives us loads of memories to reminisce in the future.

A superbly written travelogue with some nice pics!

Your experience with the agents at the Taj Mahal was no different from ours. I agree that it really spoils our mood when we are at a glorious place like the Taj.

I felt that you could have tried the first leg of the Yamuna expressway from Agra. Or have you done this before?

Even we faced issues with GPS especially in Udaipur and Agra. It took us through some very narrow roads.

We have plan for a GJ, RJ trip, so bookmarking this thread for my future reference.

Best of luck for your next trip!

We did something similar, Breakfast @ MH, Lunch @ KA and dinner @ TN.
Thanks a lot Arun. As you said, this trip has given us memories for a lifetime. We still haven't gotten over the hang over of the trip. All the best for your next trip. Please feel free to contact me for any kind of help.

I had carefully read your experience at Taj and hence did not get cheated but the experience was bad. I also wanted to drive on the Yamuna express way but will do so in a future road trip

Breakfast @ MH, Lunch @ KA and dinner @ TN I clearly remembered this statement in your travelogue when I wrote a similar statement.

Next, i want to drive along the east side of GQ - towards Calcutta All the best for your next trip.
Old 16th November 2015, 10:34   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the Travelogue Pramod. Loved your details on each post and the photographs too. Sitting here at work looking out of the window at dark clouds, those sunny snaps from Rajasthan or even Belgaum/NH4 makes he want to drive out again although Its just 4 days since I returned from Aurangabad.

I really don't think you doing this in a Petrol car mattered more than the drive itself. After all, we LIVE TO DRIVE and our cars appreciate when we make them visit places around .

During our GQ run in the WagonR, the only times there were raised eyebrows were when we ventured into typical dhabas in Bihar and UP where there was no car parked. I don't even recall if they bothered to peep onto the licence plate but were surprised indeed to see someone who can speak usual Hindi (but not local) have entered their premises.

Second instance I recall was the Durgapur Expressway before Kolkata where the booth attendants asked for the regn number and when I said KA04, He was asking me again if he heard that as KA.

Interesting things happen on our roads and roadtrips are the best way to explore and enjoy one's own country. Glad you could cover some of the best locations from the North West.

Regarding the meals thingy you guys are discussing - I recall that during my Ahmedabad drives, Breakfast is at KA, Lunch in MH and Dinner in GJ.

Last edited by paragsachania : 16th November 2015 at 10:36.
paragsachania is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2015, 11:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We started the 14 days trip on October 10th and came back on October 23rd. We drove 6122 KMs. Entered 6 states - Karnataka, Maharashtra, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Utter Pradesh & Madhya Pradesh. We paid a toll of Rs 4,700/- passing through 70+ toll booths. Refueled 19 times filling 427 Litres of Petrol and spent Rs 27,826/- on fuel.
Maths and statistics - two things I absolutely loathe..but the numbers when presented in this scenario bring a wide smile to the face! Didn't even get past the first three paragraphs of your report and I was already burning with jealousy.

Thank you for an insanely detailed travelogue. Still find it hard to believe that you maintained such a precise time-logue as well. Sure hope you took the time to just disconnect and absorb where you where and what you achieved.
Tushar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2015, 11:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Thanks for the Travelogue Pramod. Loved your details on each post and the photographs too. Sitting here at work looking out of the window at dark clouds, those sunny snaps from Rajasthan or even Belgaum/NH4 makes he want to drive out again although Its just 4 days since I returned from Aurangabad.

I really don't think you doing this in a Petrol car mattered more than the drive itself. After all, we LIVE TO DRIVE and our cars appreciate when we make them visit places around .

During our GQ run in the WagonR, the only times there were raised eyebrows were when we ventured into typical dhabas in Bihar and UP where there was no car parked. I don't even recall if they bothered to peep onto the licence plate but were surprised indeed to see someone who can speak usual Hindi (but not local) have entered their premises.

Second instance I recall was the Durgapur Expressway before Kolkata where the booth attendants asked for the regn number and when I said KA04, He was asking me again if he heard that as KA.

Interesting things happen on our roads and roadtrips are the best way to explore and enjoy one's own country. Glad you could cover some of the best locations from the North West.

Regarding the meals thingy you guys are discussing - I recall that during my Ahmedabad drives, Breakfast is at KA, Lunch in MH and Dinner in GJ.
Thanks for the wonderful words Parag. I also agree that a road trip is the best way to explore our country. I also went through your GQ drive in detail after my trip and remember many incidents that you narrated - The Rs 80/- meals for three in Bihar for example

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
Maths and statistics - two things I absolutely loathe..but the numbers when presented in this scenario bring a wide smile to the face! Didn't even get past the first three paragraphs of your report and I was already burning with jealousy.

Thank you for an insanely detailed travelogue. Still find it hard to believe that you maintained such a precise time-logue as well. Sure hope you took the time to just disconnect and absorb where you where and what you achieved.
Thanks a lot for the wonderful words Tushar. The kind of trip logs the titans of this forum have maintained helped us execute the trip successfully and my logs are no match to them.
We sure took time to relax and enjoy the trip.
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2015, 16:34   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Thanks for the wonderful words Parag. I also agree that a road trip is the best way to explore our country. I also went through your GQ drive in detail after my trip and remember many incidents that you narrated - The Rs 80/- meals for three in Bihar for example

Thanks a lot for the wonderful words Tushar. The kind of trip logs the titans of this forum have maintained helped us execute the trip successfully and my logs are no match to them.
We sure took time to relax and enjoy the trip.
Very well written travelogue. I just came back after a 3400+/8 day trip to western Gujrat from Mumbai... If I had read your post a month earlier, would have extended my trip to West Rajasthan too... Anyway, good to one to attempt after a year for me... Great piece of details in the trips.. helpful for many who live on roads!!
Capri1101 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2015, 10:28   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capri1101 View Post
Very well written travelogue. I just came back after a 3400+/8 day trip to western Gujrat from Mumbai... If I had read your post a month earlier, would have extended my trip to West Rajasthan too... Anyway, good to one to attempt after a year for me... Great piece of details in the trips.. helpful for many who live on roads!!
Thanks a lot. All the best for your next trip. Would be glad to be of any help.