Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 4th November 2015, 12:19   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore to Rajasthan : 2 week road-trip in a Fiat Punto

Very nice write-up with all the details covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
[b]
Kids enjoying the auto ride.
Very cute!

Quote:
[b]
- I would recommend taking the autos for local sightseeing. We took one at Udaipur for 700/- and another at Jaipur for 1200/-.
They can take you around faster when there are several places to visit, and also avoids the hassle of parking and finding
directions.
We learned this the hard way after getting stuck in a very narrow road in Udaipur. From then on we took auto or taxi in Udaipur, Jaipur, Nainital to go around the city during our trip. This saves lot of time as well.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2015, 12:32   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Day 1, October 17: Bangalore - Pune - Thane.
Day 2, October 18: Thane - Nashik - Dhule - Palasner - Manpur- Lebad - Ratlam - Chittor.
Day 3, October 19: Chittor - Udaipur.
Day 11,October 27:Jaipur-Chittor-Ratlam-Dhule
Day 12,October 28: Dhule-Thane-Mumbai-Pune
Day 13,October 29:Pune-Bangalore
Very well written and pushes me further to do my trip from Mumbai to Amritsar. Will be sharing it with my wife as well so that she can get a first hand experience of travelling with kids on a road trip!

One question - any reason why you didn't take the Mumbai - Ahmedabad - Udaipur route either while going or returning? I was given to understand that this might be the better route? At least I have driven till Ahmedabad and the roads are brilliant.
avdhesh15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2015, 13:21   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
Very well written and pushes me further to do my trip from Mumbai to Amritsar. Will be sharing it with my wife as well so that she can get a first hand experience of travelling with kids on a road trip!

One question - any reason why you didn't take the Mumbai - Ahmedabad - Udaipur route either while going or returning? I was given to understand that this might be the better route? At least I have driven till Ahmedabad and the roads are brilliant.
I had initially planned a slightly different route covering Mt Abu,Pushkar and Ajmer that was later dropped on the go. With the original plan, both going and returning via Mumbai-Dhule-Chittor was working out slightly better than the Mumbai-Ahmedabad-Udaipur route.

Going via Mumbai-Udaipur one way would be better if we had to do the exact circuit once again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post

We learned this the hard way after getting stuck in a very narrow road in Udaipur.
I read about that in your Kaushani travelogue. In fact , I'm quite inspired by your trip to Uttarakhand and may do one next year.

Another point I'd like to add for everyone - don't rely on google maps heavily. Wherever possible, ask people for directions. In Chittor, while returning from the Fort to the hotel, google maps took me through a dirt track. While entering Bikaner, it was showing me a route through narrow roads to Junagarh Fort. I instead asked locals for directions and that worked out a lot better. Google map works using the shortest routing , and in many instances that may not be the best route to take.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 4th November 2015 at 13:33.
sdp1975 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2015, 13:40   #34
BHPian

Excellent travelogue. Now you have kindled the fire in me to do such tour in the forthcoming summer holidays.

Rajastan circuit is now competing with Gujarat Circuit (Dwarka > Porbandar > Somnath > Sasan?? > Diu etc.) in my mind!

Hope I make a decision soon and start planning.

Thanks again for the travelogue and pictures.
Srikanthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2015, 14:09   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Going via Mumbai-Udaipur one way would be better if we had to do the exact circuit once again.
Thanks - will factor different routes for going and coming. That way we might be able to explore a bit of Gujarat as well.
avdhesh15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2015, 14:37   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I read about that in your Kaushani travelogue. In fact , I'm quite inspired by your trip to Uttarakhand and may do one next year.
Good to know that. And Uttarakhand will be a nice one. We have RJ, GJ in plans so this TL will really help us.

Quote:
Another point I'd like to add for everyone - don't rely on google maps heavily. Wherever possible, ask people for directions.
Yes, I totally agree with this. We faced issues while getting out of Agra, GPS took us through some narrow lanes. Since it was in the morning around 6:00 AM, there was no traffic. Otherwise we would have got stuck.
arun_josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2015, 14:43   #37
Senior - BHPian

Awesome! Rekindled my memories of our 2014 trip. Had skipped Jaisalmer and beyond that time. You just reminded me about that - need to plan something soon!
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2015, 15:41   #38
BHPian

Truly looks a photologue to highlight that "Raajasthaan hai taiyaar"!!
Great pics, great coverage and crisp notes!
deepv is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2015, 23:12   #39
BHPian

Some excellent pics there.

Seems like Rajasthan is a good destination worth travelling from Bangalore.

Just one quick question: How much did you pay for toll in total?
Rajasthan Highways looks amazing.
landcruiser123 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2015, 23:25   #40
BHPian

Excellent trip and log buddy! That too with two kids is quite a feat, I was thinking traveling would cease once you have kids, but folks like you and Lalu and many other here have proved that thought wrong. I was planning the same route + Gujarat this December, but my wife is a lil skeptical about such a long trip. May be your few trip logs from T-Bhp will help me in convincing her!

23K for Hotel for 13 days seems very reasonable, OTOH 5K for toll is just unbelievable, in fact its 1/3rd of the total fuel cost! I think its time the Government realizes good road infrastructure is basic need and not some luxury that we need to shell out money for! Just curious, are there such heavy toll charges in countries like US/Australia/Canada ? Could people who have been abroad help ?

By the way, any reason you skipped Wagah ? Was it due to time or distance constraint ?

Last edited by anand.shankar : 4th November 2015 at 23:29.
anand.shankar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2015, 10:42   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Some excellent pics there.

Just one quick question: How much did you pay for toll in total?
The total toll I paid was around 5K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar View Post
That too with two kids is quite a feat, I was thinking traveling would cease once you have kids, but folks like you and Lalu and many other here have proved that thought wrong.

23K for Hotel for 13 days seems very reasonable, OTOH 5K for toll is just unbelievable, in fact its 1/3rd of the total fuel cost!

By the way, any reason you skipped Wagah ? Was it due to time or distance constraint ?
Children are a lot easier to manage than adults - they can adjust and adapt to environments quite easily. Toll roughly works out to Re 1/- per km. My fuel cost was low because of the excellent mileage of 20+ kpl I got from the car.

Wagah was quite far away from our nearest point , Bikaner - over 500km. We may cover it in our Ladakh trip that I have planned for the future.
sdp1975 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2015, 12:34   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for reading. I enjoyed as much in writing the travelogue, as I did in doing the trip itself.
Wonderful travelogue sdp . very nostalgic as have visited all these places while studying in Pilani in the 90s. Did you visit the rat temple in bikaner? They serve wonderful rabdi there. Legend goes that the temple is infested with black rats. However there is one white rat and if you see that your wishes would come true
FuelInjector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2015, 12:59   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Wagah was quite far away from our nearest point , Bikaner - over 500km. We may cover it in our Ladakh trip that I have planned for the future.
I am sorry for being Off-topic here but just a few queries,
Are you planning to do Ladakh in your Fiat GP? I am also planning to do Ladakh in 3rd Week of May'2016 via Srinagar. However I am apprehensive or rather confused about my steed. Shall I take Fiat GP or Innova?

Can anyone please highlight the road conditions in the month of May as I so wish to ride my Fiat GP on Zozilla Pass.
J_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2015, 13:35   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelInjector View Post
Did you visit the rat temple in bikaner? They serve wonderful rabdi there. Legend goes that the temple is infested with black rats. However there is one white rat and if you see that your wishes would come true
No , we didn't visit the Temple of Rats. I've read that if you step over one, you have to replace with one made of silver .

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Man View Post
I am sorry for being Off-topic here but just a few queries,
Are you planning to do Ladakh in your Fiat GP? I am also planning to do Ladakh in 3rd Week of May'2016 via Srinagar. However I am apprehensive or rather confused about my steed. Shall I take Fiat GP or Innova?

Can anyone please highlight the road conditions in the month of May as I so wish to ride my Fiat GP on Zozilla Pass.
I'll be doing Ladakh in my Punto. Several users have done Ladakh in low GC cars - Gannu_1 did it recently in his Polo. NikhilB did it in a City/Civic. Another user did it in his Figo. August/September will be better months to do it in small cars.

There's a separate thread (Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide) for Ladakh queries and road conditions.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 5th November 2015 at 13:47.
sdp1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2015, 15:07   #45
BHPian

Quote:
There's a separate thread (Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide) for Ladakh queries and road conditions.
I have read this guide by Tanveer and it is really very helpful for those doing Ladakh Trip, infact I have gone through each and every Ladakh travelogue on TBHP. However I can do this only in the month of May and the travelogue that gives me inspiration to do it in Fiat GP during said period is http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...hatchback.html (Conquered Ladakh in a low GC Hatchback) written by lovecars21
J_Man is offline   Reply With Quote