Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 2nd November 2015, 00:44   #1
BHPian

Default Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport

It was June when I & my best half were discussing on a long trip, well we landed up on a very long one actually. And in no time my dream of Ladakh was in the table. The initial plan was to drive our Ecosport to Leh covering Rajasthan, Punjab and Taj Mahal ďĖ My wife it took some time to digest and think about the fact .After some weeks we started planning. Within no time Google maps, Team BHP, Devil on Wheels, tripadvisor were bookmarked in browser. After about a month or so, we had come up with a rough plan and it would take around 18 days. Mid-September was chosen to be the time to travel. The Leave plans were updated in the office, after a brief time of yes/no, they got approved. With this in about 2 weeksí time we finalized the plan. The same looked like below:
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-73.jpg

With 11th September approaching fast, we started procuring things. The food stuff, stationary etc. were brought from nearby supermarket. The car stuff was ordered online and one of the item was received just an hour before we started the journey from flipkart.
On 9th September took the car for checkup to Elite Ford. There were no issues reported and were good to go.
On 10th September we packed things and Ecosport gobbled up all our stuff with ease.
So 11th September it was and we were waiting for the clock to strike 3 PM. Once it was 3, packed our bags, dropped laptops back at home.

Highlights
1. We covered close to 8000 KM in 17 days, which means roughly 475 KMís a day.
2. Total of 11 states and 3 union territories were covered.
3. Covered close to 1200 on day 2, Hubli to Ahmedabad.
4. Toll charges worked out approx. 1 Rupee per KM.
5. I had taken car safety kits like tow cable, jumper cable, puncture kit etc. None of them were used.
6. Traffic violations-nil
7. Driving in western side of India was far more entertaining than the east.
8. HERE offline maps was of great help. We used MapmyIndia in ladakh region.
9. Diu and Daman failed to impress us. We did not find anything outstanding.
10. Gujarat seem to have a lot of industries. Nothing much to entertain though.
11. Punjab is one state I loved a lot. They have utilized every piece of land available. Oh yes they serve awesome food as well.
12. Kashmir- well itís truly heaven on Earth. I would definitely do not want to lose it to Pakistan.
13. We took a diversion to Nagpur, which happened to be old-school 2 lane highway. With lot of twisties, butter smooth tarmac, I definitely missed the Figo.
14. Smartphone is really smart. From booking hotel to finding roads, from searching restaurants to places of interests, the trip just made me realize how capable current day devices are.
15. Among the large cities Mumbai had the traffic organized in a better way.

The embroidery on t-shirt summarises our journey.
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-72.jpg

Day 1: Hubli- Bangalore
Started at 5:00PM from home and we hit highway by 7:00 PM. Thanks to KR Puram traffic it took us nearly 2 hours to reach Nelamangala.
We stopped at Hotel Ravi Kiran in Chitradurga and had a simple Dinner and it was around 9 PM. In another 2-3 hours we reached Hubli, thanks to Here Maps and Google Maps, without much fuss we found the hotel. We checked in at around 11:30 and crashed in immediately.

Hotel and Road
There arenít many good hotels on the highway. So if you are looking for a decent stay, you have to enter Hubli city or proceed towards Belgaum which another 90KM.
Hotel Ananth Residency: Hotel is clean and cost around 1800 Rupees. They donít have a covered parking but the plot opposite to hotel is dedicated parking for the hotel.
Road: The NH4 is in very good shape till Hubli and one can easily maintain average speed of 80-90KM/Hr.

Day 2: Hubli-Ahmedabad
Now the original plan was to hit Vadodara. We knew we had a lot to cover so we started at sharp 4:00PM. Good roads, absence of traffic and we were covering good distance. We stopped for breakfast at Hotel White House at around 7:30PM. We had poha and missal pav and both had a typical Maharastrian taste. Post good breakfast we hit the highway and by about 12:00 we were at Pune Bypass and hit the expressway to Mumbai. We had no plans to see anything in Mumbai hence we moved on. Post Mulund we stopped for Lunch at a roadside hotel and hit the Ahmedabad highway. In no time it started raining. In about 1 hour the rain stopped and we had crossed Vapi. It was about 3PM and we noticed diversion to Diu and Daman and indicated distance was 12KM. Time for change of plans, we headed to Diu. Being bought up in city close to coast, the Diu beaches failed to impress. By 5PM we hit back the Ahmedabad Highway.
It was 5PM and we had close to 200-250 KM to cover. Heavy rain and truck traffic added to our misery. Somehow by 9PM we reached Vadodara outskirts. We heard about Expressway to Ahmedabad and immediately we both were thinking why not Ahmedabad? It was already 15 Hours and we decided to stretch. It was not a bad decision, in another 90 minutes we reached Ahmedabad and managed to find a decent hotel. The day was called off.
Hotel and Road
Hotel Avadh Inn: The room was booked using OYO rooms and was pretty clean. The hotel was in complex which also housed Maruti Showroom. It cost us Rs.2000/- which included morning Breakfast
Road: It was little patchy somewhere near Surat, but the Vadodara-Ahmedabad expressway was stunning. Though it was 4lane, the surface was one of the smoothest we witnessed in our entire journey.

Pictures
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-1.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-2.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-3.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-4.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-5.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-6.jpg

Day 3: Ahmedabad-Jaipur
We woke up at about 7:00, had our breakfast and our Ecosport was brought back to life 8:00AM. Tanked up at the nearby Shell Petrol bunk and headed towards Jaipur. On the way we witnessed BRT and it left us a lasting impression. One heck of an Idea though very simple. We were out of Ahmedabad and we hit Jaipur road. We encountered 2 roads, took the one suggested by locals which turned out to be good. The road did join the 4 lane though I donít remember the exact location where it joined. The road was good and more like a mini ghat section. With lot of trucks plying, it was a little boring scene for an enthusiast. By lunch time we reached Udaipur. We initially did not have much plans for Udaipur, and hence we headed straight to Lake Pichola. The boat ride was ready and jumped in. We were happy to witness most of the palaces from the lake and were content. It was a sunny day and in no mood to see palaces as we had already planned to see Amber Palace in Jaipur. We hit the highway and finished our lunch at a decent vegetarian Dhaba. Gatte ki Sabzi being my favorite, was happy to see the same on their menu. After Lunch, we continued our journey to Jaipur. It was dark by the time we reached Amber palace. Though I must admit, the palace looks stunning with lights on. We bid adieu to Amber palace and started hunting for a hotel. After searching for quite a bit we settled in for Park Regis which was on the Delhi highway.

Hotel and Road
Hotel Park Regis: Typical star hotel and found it to be quite good. The rooms were spacious and clean. We paid Rs.4000/- for the room which included breakfast.
Road: Post Udaipur we witnessed lot of patches and road was not maintained well. WE could only maintain about 60-70KM/Hr. of average speed.

Pictures
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-7.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-8.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-9.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-10.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-11.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-12.jpg

Day 4: Jaipur-Amritsar
Being day of Gurupoornima we had planned to see Golden temple. The road were good and we were covering good distance. We reached Amritsar by around 7:30PM and had booked a hotel very next to Golden Temple. We checked in at hotel, freshened up and headed to Golden Temple. Must admit, this is a must visit place. The lights made it look even more beautiful. After the visit we returned to hotel and ordered our dinner. Well it was the best Dinner, pindi chole, Punjabi dal, Kadai Paneer were too good to miss. The area around Golden temple has that typical purani gali feel.

Hotel and Road
Hotel CJ International: Getting here is quite a task as the roads are very narrow near Golden Temple. There is no parking and we had parked our car bang opposite to hotel. The rooms are small but clean and tidy. It cost us Rs.1800/-
Road: Road is in pretty good shape. However when it is about 50-60KM to Amritsar, gone is the 4 lane and in comes 2 lane. With heavy traffic it became very difficult to move fast.

Pictures
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-13.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-14.jpg

Day 5: Amritsar-Patnitop
We woke up at 7:00, after getting ready went to JalianwallahBagh. Post visit, we went to Brothers Dhaba for Breakfast. We were the first customers, ordered Amritsari Kulcha. Well no words to describe, I would want to visit Punjab again just for the amazing food. After my recent visit to restaurants in Punjab I have realized that there are 2 size in India, one Punjabi size and rest of India size. So you need to careful when you order for a dish in Punjab.
We did not have much distance to cover and started leisurely from Amritsar. We hit the highway and crossed Pathankot. By 12 PM we enter J&K and our energy levels were still quite high. We passed Jammu and reached Patnitop by around 3PM. Since it was not tourist season, Patnitop wore a deserted look. We checked in at a hotel and with nothing to do we spent rest of the day sleeping.

Hotel and Road
Hotel Jayashree: Decent hotel, the rooms were huge but wasnít all that clean. The view was fantastic and so was the weather. It cost us Rs.2000/- per night.
Road
Special mention to road between Jammu Udhampur, it looked like a straight lift from Bond movie. The surface, the curves were stunning. The roads till Pathankot were also too good with lush green fields on both sides.

Pictures
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-15.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-16.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-17.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-18.jpg

Day 6: Start: Patnitop-Srinagar
As per the plan my Dad and Father Ėin-law were to join us at Srinagar and depart from Delhi. Their flight was to land at 12PM at Srinagar. We had 5-6 hours of drive and hence started off early at about 6AM. There was Bandh in Srinagar area called by political parties and roads did not have much traffic. We also witnessed the first view of Kashmir valley called the Titatnic View Point.
We covered distance quite fast and by 11:30 we reached Srinagar Airport. To our surprise, the security personnel told us only driver is allowed. After requesting they let my wife. And then came in second surprise, we were asked to unload all luggage in the car for scanning. With no options we unloaded all the stuff and reloaded it back. By 12:30 we received my dad and Father in law and headed to Dal Lake.
We checked into a house boat, took some rest and then visited Mughal Gardens. There were a plenty of flowers, clicked some pictures and headed to Shankaracharya Mutt. There are close to 250-300 steps to climb and the view on top was breathtaking. One is not allowed to carry phones, cameras. We went to a nearby fuel station tanked up the car and spare can and headed to our house boat. Had dinner at houseboat and crashed down.

Hotel and Road
Hotel Victoria House Boat: Very clean and spacious rooms by house boat standard. Dinner was tasty and so were the helpers. It cost us 3000/- per night.
Road
There were a few patchy roads but Ecosport gobbled up them with ease. The road is not all that scenic and quite narrow as well. If I remember correctly there are toll upto Udhampur.

Pictures
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-19.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-20.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-21.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-22.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-23.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-24.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-25.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-30.jpg

To be continued..
PrideRed is online now   (15) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2015, 01:08   #2
BHPian

Default re: Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport

Day 7: Srinagar-Lamayuru
We knew we had to cover Zojila and knew it was going to take time. We started at 5AM and reached Sonamarg. We were talking and enjoying the drive, only to realize we had started the Zojilla ascent. We noticed drop in power however the Ecosport managed Zojilla and voila no under hits!! Though the Ecosport was begging for more power, however it did manage to conquer Zojila!! I am impressed.
The road was full of dust and zero slush, but the dust/mud layer was quite thick enough to lose traction on wheels. At one particular ascent I misread the steep and the car stopped in the middle. Was able to manage after coming down and gaining enough speed.
Post Zojila, we stopped at Kargil War memorial. Visited the museum and had a snacky lunch at the cafeteria. The tololing hill and Tiger Hill were besides the memorial. It was 1PM and thought of heading Leh, but it was about 5:30PM when we reached Lamayuru. Dropped the idea of Leh and stuck to original plan. Checked in at a hotel and the day was called off. Visited the Lamayuru monastery which was nearby our hotel.

Hotel and Road
Hotel Moonland: Bare basic hotel and donít expect much from rooms. They are clean and tidy. The hotel garden had couple of apple trees and we tasted fresh apple which was delicious. Most of the occupants at the hotel were foreigners who quite seem to like the quite atmosphere.
Road: Well Till Sonamarg the road was decent which became bad when we reached Zojila. Post Kargil the roads are butter smooth and is a pleasure to drive.

Pictures
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-31.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-32.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-33.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-34.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-35.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-36.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-37.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-38.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-39.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-40.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-41.jpg

Day 8: Lamyuru-Leh
We had only about 150KM to cover and leisurely started at 8. We crossed Magnetic hill and in no time reached Leh. We checked in at Stendel Guest House in Fort road and found it to be reasonable. There were good restaurants in proximity and had 1 secure parking. We had our lunch at a German Bakery cum restaurant and headed to Leh Palace. To me itís worth giving a miss. Apart from the city view from Balcony there is not much to do. We headed to Shanti Stupa next and is a decent place to visit. The view is splendid. We came to room and headed to Gesmo hotel for dinner. Food is decent however not VFM.
Post dinner we planned for coming days and took some much needed rest.

Hotel and Road
Hotel Stendel Guest House: This is small guest house located in Fort road. Do not expect luxury. What they offer is neat. They have around 6-8 rooms and car park for 2 four wheelers and couple of two wheelers. They do have room service.
Road: The road from Lamayuru to Leh is in good shape and should not take you much time.

Pictures
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-42.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-43.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-44.jpg

Day 9: Leh-Khardungla-Nubra-Leh
Well we initially thought of heading to Turtuk, but decided against it, as we did not hear much positive reviews. So the plan was to visit Nubra valley and return on same day. We started early at around 5 to beat probable traffic. At a slow pace we reached Khardungla top at around 9. It was 0 degree centigrade and all of us felt breathlessness though manageable. We proceded towards Khardung and had breakfast at roadside tent. Post lunch we headed to Diskit. The Gompa at diskit was good and worth visiting. Next stop-Hunder sand dunes. We went for double humped camel ride which was fun and much more comfortable than horse.It was around 1:30 and we headed back to Leh. Stopped at same tent for Lunch. And by about 6PM we were back at our room. Dinner was done at hotel moonland next to Gesmo and we had to wait for an hour to get our food.

Road
The road till Khardungla is in bad shape however doable carefully. It will consume time one should not lose patience. Also one should keep the car in power band to avoid stalling. Post Khardungla, roads got better and we could zip through. The roads are twisty and narrow.

Pictures
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-45.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-46.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-47.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-48.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-49.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-50.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-51.jpg

Day 10: Leh-Pangong-Leh
Again we wanted to beat possible traffic, and started at 5AM. We stopped for Breakfast at Karu and headed towards Pangong. We crossed Changla and headed towards Pangong.We stopped at numerous places to capture picture. We spotted Himalayan Mormot and Wild Ass. Also some horses though we were not sure if they were wild or domesticated. By about 12 we noticed the first view of Lake Pangong. This place is total paisa vasool. We clicked a lot of photos and had lunch in one of the numerous 3 idiots cafe. Post Lunch we headed back to Leh. We went to Rancho school which was on the way, however it did not excite us. We came back to our hotel. Went for local shopping and bought some apricots, apples. We finished dinner at Gesmo.

Road
The road to Pangong is as bad as Khardungla. Post Chang la, the road condition improves. Unlike Nubra the road is much straighter. One can easily do Pangong in a day.

Pictures
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-52.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-53.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-54.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-55.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-56.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-57.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-58.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-59.jpg
PrideRed is online now   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2015, 01:17   #3
BHPian

Default re: Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport

DAY 11: Leh-Keylong

Well our plan was to stay at Tso Moriri. Hence we headed to Tso Moriri. We crossed Karu and headed towards Tso Moriri. There was no road till quite long and we were quite exhausted. Proceeding further we decided to cancel Tso Moriri as advised by an oncoming taxi driver and visit Tso Kar instead. We took a diversion to right, the road seem good only for some time. Post this there was no road, no village, no travelers and not even animals.
We could not go beyond 3rd gear and speed had dropped to 20-30KM/Hr. after an hour or 2 we finally started seeing TsoKar lake. Relieving moment that was. Finished our Lunch in one of the small hotels and proceeded to Sarchu. Our backup plan was to stay at a tent house in Sarchu. Unlucky we were. All the tents have had packed up and left only with tin sheet tents, which we were not comfortable. Locals suggested us to proceed further where we could find decent place. We travelled for about 1 hour found some small tents. The owner suggested us not to stay as it would get very cold, and possibly our Ecosport would start next morning. It was around 6 30, and we decided to hit Keylong come what may. We crossed Barlachala in the night, and by 9 we were at Keylong! We checked in at Hotel Gyespa and grueling day comes to end.

Hotel and Road

Hotel Gyespa: You have to take a diversion from main road, enter Keylong city. The hotel is ok ok and manageable. We paid Rs.2000/- per night. Hotel Padma in Jispa felt better though it was full.

Road: The road until Jispa is pretty bad. It will consume a lot of time and I would not advice one to travel during night. There are quite a lot of truckers and make matter worse. The road from Tso Kar to Sarchu is decent and would not suggest anyone to take Tso Moriri to Tso Kar route unless you are in a convoy.

Pictures
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-60.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-61.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-62.jpg

Day 12: Keylong-Mandi
We had one last Pass the Rohtang Pass or the slushy pass. It was drizzling and light snowfall sometimes and the road was complete slushy. The Ecosport managed the slush like champ with just one underbelly hit. It was a relief to reach top of rohtang pass. What added to misery was the Fog. Visibility reduced to 10ft and we were doing 10KM/Hr. the fog reduced as the height decreased and reached Manali by Lunch time. We went to a food court and completed our Lunch. Since we had visited Manali just last year, we had nothing to see. Started toward Mandi. The roads were decent and by 5 we were at Mandi. We checked in at a hotel at the outskirts of city. Took the car for much needed wash and there it is gleaming with full glory! We finished our dinner at the restaurant in hotel. And slept off early as we had Delhi coming up next day.

Hotel and Road
Hotel Valley View: Itís a good hotel, next to highway and at the outskirts of city. The rooms are large and clean. The restaurant served decent food. Though it was not a covered Parking, they had 24 hours security. It cost us Rs.1800/-per night
Road: Itís a mess until you reach Manali, Rohtang Pass in particular. There were JCBís digging a part of the road and added to our misery. We were lucky to not get stuck anywhere. From Manali to Mandi the road is in good shape.

Pictures
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-63.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-64.jpg

Day 13: Mandi-Delhi

We had to drop my Dad and Father in law at Delhi airport and we started off early. We had yummy cholle puri at a Punjabi Dhaba in Bilaspur. By Lunch time we were nearing Chandigarh. We took Chandigarh Bypass and checked in at Haldirams Hotel on the Delhi Highway. We liked the hotel quite a lot last time we visited and we did not want to miss this time as well. This one is clean hotel, serves tasty food and has one of the Best looking toilets! Yes you heard that right. Post Lunch we reached Delhi Airport by 5, dropped our parents and headed to checkin at a hotel. We headed towards Agra and were hoping to find a hotel. However we had to enter Noida and found a decent Serviced Apartment. It was 9PM by the time we reached Noida, thanks to Delhi Traffic. The Ecosport AC was the savior keeping our mind and body cool!

Hotel and Road

Hotel PK residency: Itís a serviced apartment with neat rooms. I had to park the car on service road as the covered parking was full. Dinner was decent and so was breakfast. Cost-Rs, 2200/- per night

Road: Road condition worsens after Bilaspur. There are lot of potholes and heavy truck traffic. Until you reach Kiratpur Sahib, the road condition does not improve. The Chandigarh-Delhi Highway is in fantastic shape and one can easily munch miles.

Day 14: Delhi-Jhansi
Well Yamuna Express way was one of the places to visit in our list. I must admit it is one of the fantastic roads made in India. Ford Figo Media drive was in progress and got a chance to check out the car. Guess Team-BHP folks were also there. We entered Taj Mahal by 10 and paid a visit to Taj Mahal. Truly a wonder! It was pretty hot but we somehow managed to cover the place. Hot weather ensured that we did not visit the fort. We finished lunch at a nearby hotel and packed some Petha . We started towards Jhansi. By about 7 PM we reached Jhansi. My friend lives in Jhansi. We straight away checked in the hotel. Had a long chat with my friend and called the day off.

Hotel and Road

Hotel Sheela Shree Plaza: Very good place to stay, infact the best in Jhansi. The food served is also excellent. The room is clean and tidy and is spacious as well. They have a fine dining restaurant as well.

Road: No words to describe Yamuna Expressway, just fantastic. Road from Agra to Jhansi is also in pretty good shape.

Pictures
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-65.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-66.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-67.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-68.jpg
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-69.jpg

Day 15: Jhansi-Nagpur

We did not want to stretch to Hyderabad and hence planned a stopover at Nagpur. We started at 8 and reached Nagpur by 2-3PM. Well we loved the city. Clean, organized and not much chaos. We found a hotel using OYO and checked in. A car wash was badly needed and found out that Nagpur had 3M. The owner was polite and understood our plight and got the car washed on priority. It was indeed a good wash. There was a Mobil1 service outlet nearby and owner stretched just for us to get the alignment done for Ecosport. The owner himself is an Auto enthusiast and we had long discussion on what else-cars and travel! We got back to our hotel and signed off for the day. Must admit Nagpur was one of cleanest cities in our entire journey. The people were very helpful and happy that I made good friends there.

Hotel and Road

Hotel Flora inn: Average hotel. However it is not an easy one to locate. Since it happened to be near Hyderabad highway we settled for the hotel. If you find a better one, I would give this a miss. Cost Rs.1900/- per night.

Road: 4 lane roads are in good shape. There is a right diversion from 4 lane road which we took and was in good condition.

Day 16: Nagpur-Hyderabad
My wife had not seen Hyderabad and we planned to visit the city. We reached Hyderabad by 1PM and were welcomed by traffic police. He checked for all documents and realized there is nothing to penalize. We had a soulful south Indian food at Chutneys near Nagarjuna circle. It was about 2 weeks since we had nice south Indian thali and what better than Andhra meals. We checked in at a hotel in Jubilee hills. Being Ganesh immersion day, we did not want to get stuck in traffic and hence hired Uber cab to visit Birla Mandir and Hussain Sagar lake. We met my friend and had Biriyani at Paradise. The day comes to an end and so does our trip(well almost).

Hotel and Road
Hotel Jubilee Ridge: This is a best western group hotel and is quite good. Situated in Jubilee hills, is a typical city hotel. The best part is, bang opposite the hotel is a second hand car yard, which had cars like Arnage R, 530D etc. available for sale. Few mts was far more interesting with Boxster, 911 put for sale. Cost Rs 3000/- per night

Road: Immediately after Nagpur we encountered bad road which lasted about 50-60KM. Post this it was usual 4 lane road.

Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-70.jpg

Day 17: Hyderabad-Bangalore
We had nice breakfast at our hotel and leisurely started off to Bangalore. Though the road was fantastic it was boring. Straight roads, barren lands is not what an enthusiast will look at. We did not stop for Lunch and straight away headed home for Late Lunch! And thus the 17 day marathon comes to a grinding halt.

Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-71.jpg

The Car
Ecosport performed quite well, infect very well. With Zero Punctures, zero failure and zero trouble, it indeed needs a special mention. First it gobbled up all our luggage without fuss. And then took us to all the places without any problem. In the highways the FE was 16-18 for most of the time except for 1 or instance where I had been doing high speed. Most of the time I was cautious to maintain 90-110 KM/Hr. speed. While in the mountains of Ladakh it did suffer from shortage of power, it never complained about bad surface, huge boulders and sand. In the whole trip we had just 2 underbelly hits, impressive. In Rohtang pass we were following a Mahindra pickup which got stuck in an incline. We saw it struggle and driver made 3-4 attempts before coming out of slush. Our car just rushed through the slush like a mad bull. In the entire trip if there was one thing that we were least worried about was the Ecosport!

Learnings from the trip
1. Maintain a steady speed. Driving fast gets you tired fast.
2. Always maintain healthy fuel gauge levels. No refill is too early.
3.Keep checking for tire pressure. A pressure gauge in pocket comes in handy.
4. Carry enough food. You might not find restaurants for quite long.
5.Never trust your GPS 100%. There is nothing wrong in confirming the correctness of GPS with locals.
6.Keep monitoring your car for change in noise, or any possible weird behaviours.
7. Data packs in mobile is vital. Unlimited packs are suggested.
8. Eat what you get locally. Ordering Masala dosa in a roadside Dhaba can turn out to be a biggest blunder.
9. Keep tissues, waste paper, cleaning clothes, windscreen cleaners ready.
10. Keep multiple copies of all the required documents handy.
PrideRed is online now   (41) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2015, 16:38   #4
BHPian

Default Re: Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport

A very neat and crisp travelogue! Liked the quick read covering all 17 days. Ecosports reassuring, my brother owns an Ecosport, with 70k on the odo in 2 years, ready to run anytime like a tamed horse.

I thought OYO rooms are priced at Rs.1000!

Last edited by GTO : 3rd November 2015 at 14:44. Reason: Language
LoneRidder is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 2nd November 2015, 16:53   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
I thought OYO room are priced at Rs.1000!
That's the starting price and there is no guarantee in all the cities you get at this price. In bigger cities mostly the rooms cost 1599 and upwards.
However the same hotel if booked offline will cost you another 500-1000.
PrideRed is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2015, 20:51   #6
BHPian

Many congratulations on completing this dream trip. Read the travelogue at one go and for sure it was very informative. I am inspired to do this trip next year.
anubshar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2015, 20:54   #7
BHPian

Some more random pictures from the trip.

Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-dsc05340.jpg

Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-dsc05402.jpg

Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-dsc05694.jpg

Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-img_2198.jpg

Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-img_2215.jpg

Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-img_2224.jpg

Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-img_2388.jpg

Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-img_2408.jpg

Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-img_2675.jpg

On the way to Pangong
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-img_2727.jpg

Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-img_20150913_102459.jpg

Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-img_20150922_122347.jpg

Much needed wash at 3M Nagpur
Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport-img_20150925_180633.jpg
PrideRed is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2015, 20:57   #8
BHPian

Nice travelogue and thanks for sharing A small observation regarding following excerpt:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
... vapi.... It was about 3PM and we noticed diversion to Diu and Daman and indicated distance was 12KM. Time for change of plans, we headed to Diu. Being bought up in city close to coast, the Diu beaches failed to impress. By 5PM we hit back the Ahmedabad Highway...
You must have visited Daman, which is about 15kms from Vapi and the beaches are rocky with dark soil. Not impressive. Diu is further north and west near Somanath and Gir national park. It would be at least 300+ kilometers from Vapi. Daman & Diu are under same administration (Union Territory) control hence often referred together- but, geographically they are quite far apart. Bye the way I found Diu very clean with decent beaches unlike Daman.

Cheers,
-BJ
bj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2015, 21:12   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Nice travelogue and thanks for sharing A small observation regarding following excerpt:

You must have visited Daman, which is about 15kms from Vapi and the beaches are rocky with dark soil. Not impressive. Diu is further north and west near Somanath and Gir national park. It would be at least 300+ kilometers from Vapi. Daman & Diu are under same administration (Union Territory) control hence often referred together- but, geographically they are quite far apart. Bye the way I found Diu very clean with decent beaches unlike Daman.

Cheers,
-BJ
Yes you are right. It was Daman and not Diu. The idea of visiting Diu and Daman was after me remembering pictures from below travelogue.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...diu-punto.html (Did the Diu! Delhi-Ahmedabad-Diu in a Punto)
However Daman turned out to be pretty ordinary. In the pictures I mentioned as Daman, somehow missed the same in write up.
PrideRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2015, 07:29   #10
BHPian

Nice Travelogue and Excellent Photos

Got a bit confused initial about the AM/PM - "Day 2: Hubli-Ahmedabad
Now the original plan was to hit Vadodara. We knew we had a lot to cover so we started at sharp 4:00PM. Good roads, absence of traffic and we were covering good distance. We stopped for breakfast at Hotel White House at around 7:30PM."

But otherwise very crisp writing.

Also in one of the photos on the Jamuna Expressway, why is that guy leaning out of the Innova and taking photos.

Regards
chandrda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2015, 08:56   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
Nice Travelogue and Excellent Photos

Got a bit confused initial about the AM/PM - "Day 2: Hubli-Ahmedabad
Now the original plan was to hit Vadodara. We knew we had a lot to cover so we started at sharp 4:00PM. Good roads, absence of traffic and we were covering good distance. We stopped for breakfast at Hotel White House at around 7:30PM."

But otherwise very crisp writing.

Also in one of the photos on the Jamuna Expressway, why is that guy leaning out of the Innova and taking photos.

Regards
It was AM. The picture is of Ford Figo Media drive. May be the phtographer wanted a creative shot of the new car. We found it amusing and clicked the picture
Old 3rd November 2015, 09:39   #12
BHPian

Post Re: Got Leh'd, my way - Bangalore to Leh in an EcoSport

A very crisp and inspring travelogue. I have never done a road trip before. Now that i have a newly acquired Ecosport, am raring to go for the same. The only thing that is at the back of my mind is "What if the Car Breaks Down". Having a kid further magnifies the concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
In the entire trip if there was one thing that we were least worried about was the Ecosport!
However this gives me confidence.
dpkbehera is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2015, 09:50   #13
BHPian

The Ford Media drive folks are the Power Drift people doing a first drive of Figo. The driver must be a sardar dude. Nice travelogue, I am sure you have a lot more pictures, can you post more Monastery pictures if you can please.

Thank you.
Dieselritzer is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2015, 10:52   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpkbehera View Post
A very crisp and inspring travelogue. I have never done a road trip before. Now that i have a newly acquired Ecosport, am raring to go for the same. The only thing that is at the back of my mind is "What if the Car Breaks Down". Having a kid further magnifies the concern.

However this gives me confidence.
You have Ford service center in Jammu in case of issues. If you have taken Ford RSA, there are very high chances that any issues in Leh would get sorted out. I was told Ford have tie up's at Leh though I am not sure.
However atleast in Ladakh area I would advice to have atleast 2 guys in car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
The Ford Media drive folks are the Power Drift people doing a first drive of Figo. The driver must be a sardar dude. Nice travelogue, I am sure you have a lot more pictures, can you post more Monastery pictures if you can please.

Thank you.
We visited only 2 monastries namely Lamayuru and Diskit. Most of the monastires are at top of the hill and you need to climb quite a lot. Climbing is quite a task in mountains and lower levels of oxygen makes it more difficult.
We initially had planned to see Spituk and Hemis but after seeing the elevation we dropped the plans.
I should have some more photos of Lamayuru and Diskit, will add the same.
Old 10th November 2015, 19:48   #15
BHPian

What a travelogue PrideRed, it kept me glued to the screen for almost an hour and a half. I don't know why but any travelogue mentioning Leh compels me to read word by word & pic by pic. Great photography indeed sir. Thank you for sharing and making me remember my good old visit to Leh.
naveendagar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote