Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 12th February 2016, 15:40   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Being a bachelor again - Driving holiday with friends to Uttarkashi, Gangotri & Nelong Valley

Joy, I told you already that you have a very sweet penchant for writing travelogues. I am sure many of the tbhp-ians would immediately connect with the joys of such escapades. You brought back my not-so-distant memories of trekking in Uttarakhand. Wonderful photography of both the nature and your AWESOME R3. Really blessed to have AB for company, I must say.

Aptly rated it 5 stars!!!
Inquisitive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2016, 16:58   #17

Default Re: Being a bachelor again - Driving holiday with friends to Uttarkashi, Gangotri & Nelong Valley

Nicely written.
There were many places where I could sense that joy of living the past literally.
Few of the .gifs were cool as well.

Needless to say, gorgeous were the destinations and timeless was the journey.
Roadilicious is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2016, 18:22   #18
BHPian

Ah! lovely Uttarakhand/Uttaranchal. Pithoragarh happens to be my native place.

Ever since my dad bought the Etios D (2013) there is one and only road-trip (Mumbai-Gangotri) I keep fantasizing about. I hope someday we (mom, dad, me) get the courage and time to make it.

Btw joybhowmik, it is a lovely travelogue. Really appreciate such threads on TBHP.
Flanker99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2016, 22:00   #19

A great travelogue joybhowmik . R3 looks cool by the way. Never imagined a Scorpio could evoke such envy.
Gildarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2016, 23:34   #20
BHPian

Man oh Man, what a lovely travelogue and what a camaraderie. Made my day, really heart warming and inspiring to get away and discover life. Looking forth to the next one already sir.
AppyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2016, 23:39   #21
BHPian

Default Re: The home stretch

Dear Joy babu,

Congratulation for the trip. Always looked forward to your travelogues. Now i could understand the secret of the purchase of R3. Deep in your Heart, you always wanted to go to these forbidden region, where few had even heard of, what to talk about, going there. Nelong valley was right up there, like the forbidden city. Very few people had gone there.

You have made all the fellow BHP Brethrens, very proud. At least, we could see through your Eyes !

1. Dada, did you face any traction issues, with your tyres. (since they were basically designed for city use, as observed from the images of the tyres. All grooves and lines were linear, unlike the army tyres for a 4x4. )

2. Which stretches, did you use your 4x4, and why? Did you try the climb by engaging normal 1/2/1 or you did not try the normal, and had engaged 4x4, right from the steep climb.

3. Any punctures, due to sharp stones, or any starting problem, in the morning, due to the cold.

4. Were those delicious meal prepared at the camping site; or you people just had them heated !

5. Why this whirlwind tour of 4 days. (All your trips are so time bound, like an exercise undertaken, on the weekend, so as to report back to office !).

I had to check again and again, so as to believe my eyes, that you did all these things in just 4 days ! By jove!

6. Why no family, when enough space was there. since your friend had dropped out. Why deprive the kids and your spouse; the trip to Nelong. Thats, one trip of a life time, which you had deprived them. (just got me thinking, since all your travelogues, were with the family; Right!). Were you afraid of their safety or of cold or the uncertainty of proper lodging and fooding. (Like a good Dad!)

Thinking aloud, I think, I too would had avoided them, due to lack of proper lodging and fooding, since my kids, too are of the same age, as yours !

8. Fuel consumption

a. using 4x4, or at the 1/2/1 sections.
b. Normal 'garhwal' hill inclines roads.
c. Total fuel consumed.

9. Any scary moment during the inclines, or while coming down.

Finally, any observation, and comments, Do's and Dont's; for all fellow BHP Brethrens, who would like to take or make such trips.

Would you advise the family, or just adults.

Thanx in advance, and once again a 5 star travelogue, from you Dada.

Regards

dr. sen
dr. sen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2016, 16:08   #22
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Being a bachelor again - Driving holiday with friends to Uttarkashi, Gangotri & Nelong Valley

Dear Joy Sir,
Reading the travelogue with photographs was as good as being riding in your R3 with you to the heights of Himalayas. Indeed it takes a man with steely resolve and grit to undertake such grueling trip to nature's untouched beauty. The best photo of your entire trip was the one with bottles of water placed by our Army men in the memory of the soldiers who lost their lives in avalanche while searching for water.
I was also fortunate enough to visit Nathu La Pass in the state of Sikkim and have visited the temple of Baba Harbhajan Singh who had laid down his life during the Sino-indian was in 1965.
Taking time out of the busy schedule and making a trip with your college buddy is something which we all envy!

Keep revvin and drive safe!
best regards
MDED
MDED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2016, 21:16   #23
BHPian

Wow!

Repeat - WOW!!

I am jealous....

Off-topic - you are from IIT Rorkee and I am from IIT Bombay. Of course, much earlier than you - I passed out in 1985.

I am rating this full 5 stars.

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2016, 21:44   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Oh Man!!...
Thank you for the inspiration.
Thanks mayankk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoztheman83 View Post
What a great writeup, Joy!! Truly amazing. Your written words had so much power that i felt as if i was there with you - i almost felt the cold, fresh air near the gangotri. Again, Kudos to you for the post!
Thanks whoztheman83!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskar View Post
What a beautiful travelogue. ...
Wonderful narration backed by superb photos and that menacing look of your R3, gives us (city slickers that is) inspiration that it is possible to enjoy nature with the right attitude and a capable vehicle.
Thanks baskar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitive View Post
Joy, I told you already that you have a very sweet penchant for writing travelogues. I am sure many of the tbhp-ians would immediately connect with the joys of such escapades. You brought back my not-so-distant memories of trekking in Uttarakhand. Wonderful photography of both the nature and your AWESOME R3. ...

Aptly rated it 5 stars!!!
Thanks Inquisitive! Incidentally , I am still hoping for a suitable opportunity to team up for a suitable drive! Unfortunately this year's plans do not seem to be holding up! But I am sure you will agree we have time on our side!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadilicious View Post
Nicely written.
Needless to say, gorgeous were the destinations and timeless was the journey.
Thanks Roadilicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanker99 View Post
Btw joybhowmik, it is a lovely travelogue. Really appreciate such threads on TBHP.
Thanks Flanker99!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gildarts View Post
A great travelogue joybhowmik . R3 looks cool by the way. Never imagined a Scorpio could evoke such envy.
Thanks Gildarts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppyS View Post
Man oh Man, what a lovely travelogue and what a camaraderie. Made my day, really heart warming and inspiring to get away and discover life. Looking forth to the next one already sir.
Thanks AppyS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. sen View Post
Dear Joy ...Thanx in advance, and once again a 5 star travelogue, from you Dada...

Regards

dr. sen
Thanks Dr. Sen... Whoa - that's a lot of questions! I am sure when we have the opportunity to cross paths - perhaps over a cup of coffee , a spot of adda will be the perfect scene to exchange notes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDED View Post
Dear Joy Sir,
Reading the travelogue with photographs was as good as being riding in your R3 with you to the heights of Himalayas....
Keep revvin and drive safe!
best regards
MDED
Thanks MDED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
Wow!

Repeat - WOW!!

I am jealous....

I am rating this full 5 stars.

Girish Mahajan
Thanks Girish.!
joybhowmik is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2016, 02:49   #25
BHPian

Lovely writeup. We were the group just before you. Heard from Tilakji about another group coming. Really enjoyed the place and especially company of Tilakji and Uppi. We also did not get night stay permits at Nelong. The plan had been such at the beginning but it turned out authorities thought otherwise. We had taken a hatchback Fiat Punto from Kolkata with two couples and a kid. You can please see my write-up here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...tarakhand.html (Nelong Valley, and a bit of beautiful Uttarakhand)

Best wishes for your future travels and hope to read more of your memories from such travels. Your have a very nice writing style.

Regards
novice_alto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2016, 11:25   #26
BHPian

Joy,

Very nice writeup, videos made it alive.
Great to see old pals enjoying scenery and each other's company after so many years.

How was weather in Nelong, I see u guys only wearing fleece.
Was it so pleasant?

You have motivated me to plan something similar with my college pals.
On a side note, When i moved back from USA , 4 years back, i wanted to buy scorpio but somehow settled with honda city. Your R3 in smashing RED is giving me itch to go and buy Scorpio in RED, looks amazing. Few SUV's can carry RED with ease.

Thanks
rawnak
rawnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2016, 16:10   #27
BHPian

An awesome travelogue there Joy. The history and the remoteness of Nelong sure does entice the adventurer in me. But what totally comes through in this write up is your love for your car, something, that I can surely associate with.
A truly delightful read with the photos and the gifs to go with!
AshyRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2016, 17:03   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
I remember seeing this pic somewhere. Ashwin Bhatia's timeline?

Jumped the gun, found him later in the travelogue

Last edited by ntomer : 18th February 2016 at 17:05.
ntomer is offline   Reply With Quote