Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 12th January 2016, 15:14   #16
BHPian

Default Re: A road trip to Gujarat - Kuch din to gujaro Gujarat me

Thanks for penning down this travelogue , even we did the road trip this christmas and completely echo some of your observations on road, tolls, total disdain of red traffic lights!!!!, We covered Modhera and Little Rann of Kutch in addition to the places you visited.

One highlight was, we did checkout some of the popular restaurants in Ahmedabad and completely fell in love with Swathi Snacks for their pav bhaji and other stuff.
mazda4life is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2016, 16:33   #17
BHPian

I recently drove through Gujrat, and IMO Gujrat roads are no match to Rajsthan's. The roads from Ajmer to Abu Road was wide, devoid of any port-holes/undulations and traffic too seemed less. Once I entered into Gujrat (from Palanpur) roads deteriorated and traffic increased. And it remained the same till Mumbai. Same experienced while returning, Mumbai to Vadodara is OK, but very happy traffic. Vadodara to Ratanpur if better, even traffic is less. But the road from Udaipur to Bhim must be the best road in India, expressways included. Wide, arrow-straight, well-barricaded on sides, very less traffic, visibility of upto 3-4 KMs.

Another peeve with Gujrat is lack of eating options for carnivores. I couldn't find even one on the highways. In fact restaurants proudly declared their "Pure Veg" tag, sign-boards included the green dot in green square in large size. Even the ones with names like Shama, Nagma etc were pure veg :(
ntomer is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2016, 21:32   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
You are tempting me to drive via MP into Gujarat. Let me see how the planning goes, and when can we make the trip.

I am looking at Day 1: Kanpur - Gwalior (260km only as Gwalior is my in-laws home), Day 2: Gwalior Indore (500km - brother-in-law)) and day 3: Indore to Gujarat.
By all means, please do plan sir at the earliest opportunity. Your plan looks good. Day3:Vadodara looks like the closest large city in Gujarat from Indore and at a convenient distance of 350 KM. Not sure whether the roads would be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
Thanks for penning down this travelogue , even we did the road trip this christmas and completely echo some of your observations on road, tolls, total disdain of red traffic lights!!!!, We covered Modhera and Little Rann of Kutch in addition to the places you visited.

One highlight was, we did checkout some of the popular restaurants in Ahmedabad and completely fell in love with Swathi Snacks for their pav bhaji and other stuff.
Thanks mazda4life! In a visit to Kutch would have made it a complete experience, having travelled 4.5 thousand KM, a few hundred KM more to Kuch looks less but we thought of doing it some other time and cover Mt Abu as well. Another reason to re-visit Gujarat

I did try pav bhaji at a "Havmore" food chain in Ahmedabad and it was yummy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
I recently drove through Gujrat, ... and traffic too seemed less. Once I entered into Gujrat (from Palanpur) roads deteriorated and traffic increased. And it remained the same till Mumbai.
Another peeve with Gujrat is lack of eating options for carnivores. (
Yeah Rajasthan has very less traffic in comparison. You are spot on regarding the lack of nov-veg options in most places. In one of the hotels menus it was mentioned that the listed non-veg items would be brought from elsewhere and served.
for_cars1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 09:50   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Let me add. With any veg stuff if you suffix with Cancel (do not ask me why!) it means without Onion and Garlic. For example Pav-Bhaji (or rather Bhaji-Pav as they like to call it) is the normal stuff, but adding Cancel at the end make is Jaini food, ie without Onion or Garlic.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2016, 09:18   #20

Default Re: "Kuchh tho Dinn Guzaariye Gujarat Mein" - a road trip to Gujarat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Day 1: Bangalore to Satara 733 KM

Started at 5:15 am. There were lots of vehicles at Toll booths due to the Christmas holiday rush. Overall encountered 13 booths between Bangalore to SAtara which takes/wastes about 70 min. Took two breaks for breakfast at Rannebennur (30min) and Lunch at Belgaum (1 hour). It was a 9.5 hours drive excluding the breaks and time wasted in toll booths.

The best stretches were encountered around Belgaum and the surrounding areas felt very beautiful there as well.
The roads are a bit conjested with road work going on after crossing into Maharastra. Also there was lots of two wheeler traffic all the way upto Satara
Brilliant! Just what I was looking for.

2 winters ago, I Drove from Bengaluru to Mumbai, and Ended up staying in Satara on Day 1 on my Tata Zest. (cannot recall where).
We had started around 5am, I touched Kolhapur at 1:30 pm, had Mahalakshmi Darshan and lunch. Will try to write a retrospective Travelogue!

I know few things for Sure, Bengaluru to Kolhapur you can drive with eyes shut, meaning, it's a non brainer, good roads, low traffic (Bengaluru Nelamangala, and Hubli-Dharwad being the only stretches which had some negotiating to do). I second you, Belagavi stretch was one of the more scenic ones. Tumakuru - Chitradurga was easily the fastest stretch only to be outdone by the Pune Mumbai Expressway, only place where I hit speeds of 140-150 regularly for a taste of it.

From Kolhapur, traffic, especially heterogenous traffic like Tractors, Pickups carrying agri produce, Two wheelers increase a lot - busy small town I must say. And even beyond Satara, up to Pune you cannot zoom the same way you do in Karnataka side of NH4.

But I did like this traffic a bit! It broke the NH monotony

I am planning to do a replica, Bengaluru Gujarat 2 week tour this December, I will be starting 2 weeks earlier than you did, perhaps December 2nd week.

Few queries:
  • Can you please throw some light on where you stayed in Satara, your experience/suggestion
  • Once you cross Kolhapur, Can you suggest Pure Vegetarian food options upto Vadodara ?
  • Once you cross Mumbai, are you suggesting Vapi to Vadodara has heavy traffic (meany BHPians have said this). If yes, which is the best time of the day to do Mumbai-Ahmedabad ?

As I keep doing my own bit of research and plan my Road trip to Gujarat during the coming weeks, I will keep posing some questions on this thread, hope you do not mind and hope you would respond.

Thanks again for this post. I was very much looking for a recent Travelogue to Gujarat along NH4, am so glad I found yours.
sumanthkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2016, 10:15   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumanthkr View Post

Few queries:
  • Can you please throw some light on where you stayed in Satara, your experience/suggestion
  • Once you cross Kolhapur, Can you suggest Pure Vegetarian food options upto Vadodara ?
  • Once you cross Mumbai, are you suggesting Vapi to Vadodara has heavy traffic (meany BHPians have said this). If yes, which is the best time of the day to do Mumbai-Ahmedabad ?

Thanks again for this post. I was very much looking for a recent Travelogue to Gujarat along NH4, am so glad I found yours.
Makes me happy to know that you found my travelogue useful.

** At Satara, we stayed at Hotel Mahendra Executive, its a decent hotel right on the highway, food at the restaurant is ok too.
A bit more research might give you even better options to stay at Satara.

Breakfast at this hotel starts at 7AM so you'll most likely skip it when you leave towards Mumbai in the morning. After leaving Satara, its pretty difficult to find an open restaurant in the morning, none of the people running hotels seem to be awake before 10AM. We managed to find some resort like hotel around Pune for breakfast with great difficulty.

** After you bypass Mumbai and cross around the outskirts of Thane, you'll hit the Mumbai-Surat highway, right from the start, there are many restaurants, so you have plenty of options with Pure Veg options in abundance. Most restaurants in Gujarat serve Veg so the trend starts right from here. Its finding a non-veg option that's difficult not the other way around.

** The whole of the Mumbai-Vadodara-Ahmedabad stretch is centered around Business at a massive scale, so there is no best time, its always crowded with trucks occuping all lanes.
Just be cautious when you zig-zag around them because there are plenty of two wheelers and cars doing the same. Change lanes with utmost caution, there could be a car or bike lurking around your OVRM blindspots that is fast approaching from behind trying to converge into the lane you're shifting to. Better to be patient and practice safe lane driving as much as possible.

The worst part is for those who travel from Pune towards Gujarat, there is no single main highway to bypass the whole of Mumbai, its a big mess out there around the whole of Mumbai even after taking the so called by-pass.

Hope some investment is made on an elevated expressway to totally skip the Mumbai traffic for those who want to proceed towards Gujarat bypassing Mumbai. Given that its our financial capital, shouldn't be too difficult to implement. Just the will to do that seems to be missing.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 31st October 2016 at 10:27.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2016, 11:15   #22

Quote:
Makes me happy to know that you found my travelogue useful.
=======
Just the will to do that seems to be missing.

Dhanyavad for the prompt and pertinent reply. Am so glad am in the midst of a wonderful helpful bunch here in Team-BHP.

Will keep Mahindra Executive in mind.
Thanks for the Driving tip, the only flip side of my Tata Zest is, it's A pillar creates a big enough blind spot, I will keep a watch and add 2hr buffer to my Driving schedule from Mumbai to Vadodara.

Looks like Gujarat is a vegetarian paradise and a curse if you are not a keen Veggie! My family will love it though.

Agree with you, its a shame that India's richest corridor does not have an expressway all through from Mumbai. I reckon there should be a six lane Road from Nashik-Vadodara at least.

The saving grace for me personally is that My Sister lives in Dahisar, which is just next to exit Check naka!
sumanthkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2016, 12:00   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Surprisingly, no parking fees for cars were being charged at the mall unlike Bangalore where the parking charges at the malls are sky high.
They heard you. Now they charge Rs 20/-.

Quote:
One interesting thing was nobody stops at most red traffic signals, everybody just ignores them and proceed as if they don't exist
We have three types of "red" lights:
1. This red light is not red really. It is actually "green". Has been placed just to show ( to tourists and outsiders) that we care for pedestrians (at pedestrian crossings) or at some sparse traffic cross roads. ( definition of sparse traffic would be different than that in other cities)
2. This red light is actually "yellow". This is seen at road crossings where a small road meets a busy arterial road. The right light for the arterial road traffic is always yellow or green depending upon time of day; where as for the smaller road traffic it is always red, even if the light is showing green.
3. This red light is actually red. Seen during office times on busy road crossings.
It is a fine art to distinguish between these red lights and not an easy matter for the newbie.

Last edited by earthian : 31st October 2016 at 12:11. Reason: house keeping and added response
earthian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2016, 08:42   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumanthkr View Post
[*] Once you cross Kolhapur, Can you suggest Pure Vegetarian food options upto Vadodara ?
If Kolhapur - Pune - Mumbai is good, Mumbai - Ahmedabad is a food highway. You certainly need not be any specific around here in case of Vegetarian only food options.

Instead of stopping anywhere between Kolhapur - Pune, your better bets are the Expressway Food courts - First one before Lonavala exit and the second one after the exit toll at Khalapur.

Till Manor, you will have of "Vittal Kamats" and "Idlies and Kamat" which are nothing but chain of Veg only highway restaurants and you will see them quite often.

Quote:
[*] Once you cross Mumbai, are you suggesting Vapi to Vadodara has heavy traffic (meany BHPians have said this). If yes, which is the best time of the day to do Mumbai-Ahmedabad ?
Traffic is not really a major deterrent. You will get used to as you get out of Mumbai. Major time consumer will be crossing Mumbai itself.

Best time to do that would be between 0600-0800 Hours & 1200-1600 Hours or between 2000-2200 Hours.

Also, you don not cross Vapi and Surat during peak morning or evening hours. Vapi will be 2 Hours from Ghodbunder Junction (point where you get onto Gujarat highway after crossing Mumbai-Thane). Surat (Rather the far away bypass) will be 3.5 Hours from Ghodbunder Junction. Hence, make sure you are aware of this and then cross these 2 places selectively and with proper planning, it works.

Additionally, hope these 2 detailed posts must also help you with the Ankleshwar-Bharuch section:

Crossing the Bridge over Narmada between Ankleshwar and Bharuch (Gujarat road trip - Queries)

Another detailed post on the same (Mumbai - Ahmedabad : Route Queries)
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote