Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 14th January 2016, 08:23   #16
BHPian

Default Re: ...and a Man went to Andaman! Holiday in the Andaman Islands

Naveen, kudos to you for this travelogue. You have really put your heart into writing this. No doubt this is a valuable source of info for anyone headed to Andamans.

Thank you so much for sharing. Rating the thread a well deserved all stars!
anshuman_v is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 09:00   #17
Senior - BHPian

Naveen a wonderful travelogue there. Andamans is our dream destination in the near future and your crisp writeup with accurate itinerary give many of us a fair idea of how to navigate around this beautiful place.

Also loved the pic of the big boat "Hat Bey" - hinglish translation of course
girishglg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 17:40   #18
BHPian

Great Review Naveen. I am also planning to Andaman this year in Dec. Your informative travelogue will be of great help. Were you ever posted at Secunderabad? Seems to seen you at RSI.
rakesht_ripps is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 22:56   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesht_ripps View Post
Great Review Naveen. I am also planning to Andaman this year in Dec. Your informative travelogue will be of great help. Were you ever posted at Secunderabad? Seems to seen you at RSI.
Thankyou dear rakesht_ripps for nice words, did wrote this to help future travellers for their Outside india local trip. No i never been to s'bad. Some other place may be. Just one suggestion especially for you, get your guestroom confirmed before flight bookings, they fill up in blink of an eye
naveendagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2016, 21:00   #20
BHPian

Thanks a lot for your detailed explanation. Pictures are clear too. Andaman is one spot I would like to take up soon. Will contact you for any help.
SDee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2016, 23:32   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDee View Post
Thanks a lot for your detailed explanation. Pictures are clear too. Andaman is one spot I would like to take up soon. Will contact you for any help.
Thankyou SDee so much, would love to see any of your requirement as PM. Am all ears and words to help make your travelogue a memorable one too. Two words --Andamans is "pure bliss".

Last edited by naveendagar : 16th January 2016 at 23:38.
naveendagar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 09:16   #22
BHPian

Hello,

Dear Naveen Babu, Thanx for such a well crafted, informative and picturesque write up. Well the only missing thing are the following:
1. The fooding detail. All travelogue in the forum miss this important item. This makes the reading, literally, mouth watering.
2. The Lodging. Little bit of photos of the hotel or guesthouse where you lived would have put more familiarity, when we fellow TEAM BHP brethren would go and remember you !

3. Any do or Dont's about the places of interest, market, shops, food, place etc.

And Lastly but not the least, i just saved 60-80k, because of your travelogue. I have seen all that one has to see, COURTESY, through, YOUR EYES !

i can afford not to go now, as your travelogue, is as good, and good enough as a real visit ! Looking forward to more travelogue, like those.

If you do remember or have the shots on above mentioned topics, please do put them. Thanx in advance.

regards

dr. sen
dr. sen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2016, 07:29   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. sen View Post
Hello,

Dear Naveen Babu, Thanx for such a well crafted, informative and picturesque write up. Well the only missing thing are the following:
1. The fooding detail. All travelogue in the forum miss this important item. This makes the reading, literally, mouth watering.
2. The Lodging. Little bit of photos of the hotel or guesthouse where you lived would have put more familiarity, when we fellow TEAM BHP brethren would go and remember you !

3. Any do or Dont's about the places of interest, market, shops, food, place etc.

And Lastly but not the least, i just saved 60-80k, because of your travelogue. I have seen all that one has to see, COURTESY, through, YOUR EYES !

i can afford not to go now, as your travelogue, is as good, and good enough as a real visit ! Looking forward to more travelogue, like those.

If you do remember or have the shots on above mentioned topics, please do put them. Thanx in advance.

regards

dr. sen
Thank you Dr Sen for the appreciation, i don't know whether the travelogue is good enough for such kind words.

Regarding your queries sir, i surely will update the details you desire once i get some respite from daily chores.

Regards
Old 2nd December 2016, 15:21   #24
Senior - BHPian

Default Andaman Islands - 5/6 days, places to visit?

Hi,

I with my wife, parents, grandmother and brother are planning for an Andaman visit somewhere around 20-25th December. I figure Havelock and Neil islands are the places to spend maximum time at.

Objective would be to be at the best spot in terms of natural beauty and also indulge in water sports a little. Is scuba diving a possibility at either Havelock or Neil? Are 5 days adequate or we should stretch them to 6?

I was thinking of including Baratang islands but it seems far from Port Blair and with our grandmother too much walking isn't something that we can do.

Need tips to make the plan more firm please, thanks!
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2016, 16:07   #25
BHPian

Default Re: Andaman Islands - 5/6 days, places to visit?

We are going to Andamans from 8th Dec. However we spend 3 nights at Havelock (Only Scuba) and one night (forced) at Port Blair.
There are many dive shops at Havelock, being the best for scuba, with well trained divers and instructors. One can get the basic PADI course, advanced courses and pretty much every equipment including Nitrox .

Last edited by earthian : 2nd December 2016 at 16:08. Reason: house keeping
earthian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2016, 16:14   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Especially since you mentioned about natural beauty, I would suggest you avoid spending more time in Port Blair. Personally, I felt Port Blair need only about a day for sightseeing for marine museum & cellular jail mainly. Other attractions around Port Blair, like beaches are dull compared to beaches in Havelock.

Since most flights reach Port Blair around noon, you can budget visiting cellular jail in the evening and start to Havelock or Neil island the next day morning. Once there, you can opt for scuba packages (bare food scuba is a reputed operator there).

We too wanted to visit both Havelock and Neil, however it means one half day additionally spend in ferry. Hence dropped Neil plan and spend 5 days in Havelock itself.

Plan your return one day earlier to your return flight from Port Blair. If due to any ferry cancellation, else you will end up loosing your flight. You can plan your remaining Port Blair sight seeing there.
mpksuhas is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2016, 16:55   #27
BHPian

Have you booked the accommodations in Havelock? If not, I would recommend the Barefoot property which is now owned by the Coffee Day group. Why? All properties on Havelock island are located on the eastern side. Barefoot is the only property on the western side of the island and right next door to the famous Radhanagar beach. It ensures very less crowd. With all this being said, a word of caution, this property is a bit on the expensive side.

I had stayed there in October 2014, before it being acquired by Coffee Day group, and the tariff was about 12K per night.

In fact, if you so want you can ask them to take care of the entire logistics and they do a fantastic job.
BeantownThinker is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2016, 20:51   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Hi,

I with my wife, parents, grandmother and brother are planning for an Andaman visit somewhere around 20-25th December. I figure Havelock and Neil islands are the places to spend maximum time at.

Objective would be to be at the best spot in terms of natural beauty and also indulge in water sports a little. Is scuba diving a possibility at either Havelock or Neil? Are 5 days adequate or we should stretch them to 6?

I was thinking of including Baratang islands but it seems far from Port Blair and with our grandmother too much walking isn't something that we can do.

Need tips to make the plan more firm please, thanks!
Hi fine69,

If you are going to Havelock than you can safely avoid going to Neil islands if you guys haven't already booked somethings there (theres nothing worthwhile there, since I had around 10 days so I went there for heck of it)

If you plan to go for 5 days excluding your day of reaching and departure, my two cents would be.

Day 0 (The day you reach there)
- Visit Samudrika museum, Joggers Park and Cellular Jail with light and sound show in the evening.

Day 1 - Go to Chidiyatapu and indulge in some serious Scuba diving, I did scuba at Chidiyatapu and Havelock, if you want to do it in peace I would recommend Chidiyatapu (you can PM me for details of the man there), you will love it. Havelock is also good for Scuba but not that clear water. Sail out for Havelock islands by evening ferry.

Day 2-4 - Visit Havelock for all beautiful beaches and Elephant beach for Snorkeling (Carry your Snorkel kit from here only, link you can get from first page)

Day 5 - Return back to Port Blair in early morning and go to Jolly Buoy, Jolly buoy has one of the widest variety of fishes in complete islets. Recommended for snorkeling.

PLEASE DO NOT MISS ROSS ISLAND BUDDY, it has one of the most amazing light and sound show in complete India, Strongly recommended to all and everyone going there. (I can bet, you will PM me back for a BIG THANKS for recommending Ross island sound show). Ross island is just 10 minutes from Port Blair via boat, please book yourself well in advance for boat and show.
Enjoy local food and shopping in evening at Port Blair.

Day 6 - Take off.
Old 5th October 2017, 11:29   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Wonderful travelogue there, Naveen sir!

We are off to Andaman next week (9D/8N) and this TL is a nice tease of what is to come!

We have a almost similar itinerary to the one you have taken.

Great tips, esp. the light and sound show at Ross Island.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote