Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 18th January 2016, 16:56   #16
BHPian

Default Re: White Sandakphu - Our quiet New Year celebration

This is surreal! This is living the dream! Marengo continues to go from strength to strength and shines brighter with every trip to Sandakphu.

I have no words for Anirban da and his driving and photographic skills. I doubt if there are words that can be justified as compliments to his efforts.

I have one query for you Sir. Would you like Sandakphu to be motorable in a 2wd vehicle someday? Or would that destroy the very essence of the place?
mi2n is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 20:15   #17
BHPian

Jaw dropping surreal and sublime beauty , thanks for sharing. You are a true brave heart to venture alone in those icy tracks.

Made me smile and rummage through my old albums - I was fortunate enough to experience the mighty sleeping Buddha from the same vantage point.
DriveTrain is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 20:23   #18
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (14)

Marvellous take on Sandakphu, as all your earlier ones too! The photologue as always, is spellbinding, with the snow adding that touch of seasonal magic.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 20:31   #19
BHPian

Smile Re: White Sandakphu - Our quiet New Year celebration

Excellent travelogue with some, rather all jaw dropping photographs!
The way you have portrayed Sandhakphu no one has ever done it before. A very well deserved 5 star to the TL.
If I would have know that you would be driving to Sandhakphu on 31st Dec I would have stayed back. I drove there on 29th Dec and returned on 30th Dec. It would have been lovely to see Monster and Marengo enjoy in the snow.

White Sandakphu - Our quiet New Year celebration-dsc_4411.jpg
30th Dec, 2015 Morning
Monster infront of Sherpa Chalet

White Sandakphu - Our quiet New Year celebration-dsc_4447.jpg
Monster looking at the mesmerizing beauty of "Sleeping Buddha"

White Sandakphu - Our quiet New Year celebration-dsc_4459.jpg
White Sandakphu - Our quiet New Year celebration-dsc_4455.jpg
Monster on the way to Phalut
lovecars21 is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 20:58   #20
BHPian

Fantastic photologue Anirban da. The pictures are splendid but still, guessing, it does not capture the true essence of the snow covered Marengo under the new year moon. You got to be there to experience it and what a way to ring in the new year. Here's wishing many more trails for Marengo and you.

Rated a truly well deserved 5 stars.
Burn_out is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 21:27   #21
BHPian

I am completely out of words 1100D !! What a way to celebrate New Year's Eve !! You are an idol to some and inspiration to many in the fraternity and this travelogue just reflects why it is so. There has been a lot spoken about when it comes to the Driving Trail to Sandakphu and you against all odds decided to do Sandakphu yet once again but at a time when very few would have taken up the challenge to do so considering the snow factor on those narrow non existent roads. Great to see Marengo fairing on the slippery surface and cheers to your 5 years of togetherness with Marengo !!

Going through the travelogue was a treat by itself and wish that you keep posting such awesome threads in the times to come which would indeed keep the readers in awe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecars21 View Post
The way you have portrayed Sandhakphu no one has ever done it before. A very well deserved 5 star to the TL.
If I would have know that you would be driving to Sandhakphu on 31st Dec I would have stayed back. I drove there on 29th Dec and returned on 30th Dec. It would have been lovely to see Monster and Marengo enjoy in the snow.
You are a man of steel Arunasish to have driven the Monster which is not equipt with a Power Steering on the Sandakphu Trail !! You just missed the snow by a whisker. Awaiting your TL on the Sandakphu as well.
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 22:57   #22
Senior - BHPian

What a way to bid adieu to 2015 and greet 2016.
Salutes to your skills at the wheel and the shutter. Kudos.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 23:38   #23
BHPian

I seriously envy you and your family on a wonderful vacation. It has been a dream to visit a place like this and show the family the real white winters since we do not have those options down south where I stay. I will surely keep this on my to-do list and lets see how early can I materialize it. The photographs are stunning and the locale equally mesmerising. Hats off to you
MSMILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2016, 00:41   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thread moved out from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section). Thanks for sharing!

Thats truly a beautiful transformation! All we hear and read about this place is members debating how difficult it is to reach here with normal 2WDs so on and so forth. And argument continues on that front. But this, is truly mesmerizing! Never saw this place in such a light.

Brilliant!
The Irony is that, the sights that this place offers, should be the "only" reason to go there, but then, the pain and the uncertainty of catching good weather is too much of a downer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_sid View Post
Beautiful narration, and even more stunning captures. Your drives are making you evolve as a photographer too, Anirban. Great. (Wishing Anushka, a belated happy birthday). Rating 5 stars.
Thanks Sid, you are the second person who said it, and the first one has been a positive critic for many years. But one too many buttons and readouts to look at, from temp gauge to the exposure meter. But greying is probably helping in dealing with added complexity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
The Tumling's gradient is Me likes

Thanks for sharing the photologue, if you give permission will tag with you someday. Letting her grow a bit to savor the sights.

[My daughter around a month back [5 months old] did ~800kms trip of which I did 385kms in 6 hours & she loved the driving part at night because of lights]
"Permission?", who told you I will give you one?! Friends dont ask for it either, they simply stay attached and not leave, even if the other one tries his best to shake him off!! Trust me, he is only testing you.

However take it slow with your daughter, progressively increasing the endurance requirement. There are some who seem to have made it unpleasant for their kids by pushing them too long, so much that they start hating the moment they see car interiors. Anoushka was given time, play breaks earlier on in her life. At one point she used to think that she is inside a car to go from one play area to the next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
Wonderful Anirban Da. The pictures are mind blowing. I think this must be one the clearest views one can get of Mt K from WB. Unfortunately I could not get the same vistas as yours due to bad weather. Also, your click of that rock gives a perfect picture of how narrow the trail becomes. The wheel arches of Duster are a pain in these situations.

Regards,

Pawan
There is a reason the Americans wanted the original jeeps to have uniform width. Somehow modern cars are actually loosing it in terms of size and aspect ratio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uprasenjit View Post
White Sandakphu looks so amazing. Lovely photos and narration.

Switzerland is easier to reach I believe than Sandakphu .
Thanks Prasenjit. Thanks for putting in your last line! You have no idea how your last statement will help me! Though I will stand to loose some brownie points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Chaand View Post
Mind blowing pictures
Felt like I was there. People like me can only dream of getting to these kind of places.
Hats off to you and your family that you opted to spend the new year in such solitude and cold!
Awaiting more details on this location and how you got there. Would also like to know how the Scorpio performed in these conditions.
Thanks Chaand!

This was the third trip of this vehicle to this place, more details/distances and challenges enroute can be found captured in this old thread of mine.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...territory.html (Sandakphu Phalut Kolakham - Unleashing a Mahindra Scorpio on Land Rover territory)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Excellent stuff as-usual. The photographs are mind-blowing with beautiful narration.

Hats off to you for clicking those night pics of snow at Sandakphu! It really need some guts to do that! Now you can only answer which was more challenging, driving Marengo on snow or clicking the night pics in minus temperature at Sandakphu! If some one do not love photography and driving from the very core of his heart, this kind of combo package is never possible.

Over all what ever i write wont do justice to the effort you have put in! You and your family are rewarded with a life time memory!
Good that you brought this up, I originally forgot to mention that when I captured the night shots, the temp outside was around -10 degreeC. In that scenario, taking multiple shots required keeping the right hand off the glove, the effect of which I can feel even as I type here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Awesome write up Sir! Some pictures totally left me speechless! Especially the picture of Mt. Kanchenjunga in the night and the picture which shows the steep gradient covered with snow. I had my lips clenched just by looking at that pic. Driving through the same in real life must have been very, very challenging. Hats off! I hope that someday I become as good a driver, a photographer and a writer as you are.

Ciao,
Neel

P.S: Marengo looks absolutely fabulous in some of the pics. Hard to believe that he celebrated his 5th birthday already.

Just give yourself time, dont rush, I am sure, you will be someone to watch out for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
This is surreal! This is living the dream! Marengo continues to go from strength to strength and shines brighter with every trip to Sandakphu.

I have no words for Anirban da and his driving and photographic skills. I doubt if there are words that can be justified as compliments to his efforts.

I have one query for you Sir. Would you like Sandakphu to be motorable in a 2wd vehicle someday? Or would that destroy the very essence of the place?
Thats a tricky question to answer. Probably I would answer in the affirmative, though not for the tourists, but the locals definitely need a faster and easier access to facilities available at the mainstream localities. Yes, that would change their usual jovial selfless nature a bit, but it would be too selfish for us to wish this at the cost of denying them easier access to, say, healthcare.

But its easier said than done, the trail leading up to it is intertwined between India and a neighbouring country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveTrain View Post
Jaw dropping surreal and sublime beauty , thanks for sharing. You are a true brave heart to venture alone in those icy tracks.

Made me smile and rummage through my old albums - I was fortunate enough to experience the mighty sleeping Buddha from the same vantage point.
Frankly, Had I encountered Ice on the way up, I would have head back, that was the mental plan. On 1st Jan, when I drove back, I did not have a choice, either to risk another night in the unbearable chill and what if it snows again at night, will be back to square one.

A SWB vehicle though would fare better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Marvellous take on Sandakphu, as all your earlier ones too! The photologue as always, is spellbinding, with the snow adding that touch of seasonal magic.
Thanks Sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecars21 View Post

Attachment 1462644
30th Dec, 2015 Morning
Monster infront of Sherpa Chalet

Attachment 1462646
Monster looking at the mesmerizing beauty of "Sleeping Buddha"

Attachment 1462650
Attachment 1462651
Monster on the way to Phalut
Dandu Sherpa did mention about you. It was a near miss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn_out View Post
Fantastic photologue Anirban da. The pictures are splendid but still, guessing, it does not capture the true essence of the snow covered Marengo under the new year moon. You got to be there to experience it and what a way to ring in the new year. Here's wishing many more trails for Marengo and you.

Rated a truly well deserved 5 stars.
Thanks!

True the picture doesn't do justice to the real sight. On top of it, one foreign tourist was scooping off snow from Marengo's bonnet when I saw it. Its unusual for them to do that. However when I gave him a stare he did put some snow back on the bonnet, some from his hand, some from the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post
I am completely out of words 1100D !! What a way to celebrate New Year's Eve !! You are an idol to some and inspiration to many in the fraternity and this travelogue just reflects why it is so. There has been a lot spoken about when it comes to the Driving Trail to Sandakphu and you against all odds decided to do Sandakphu yet once again but at a time when very few would have taken up the challenge to do so considering the snow factor on those narrow non existent roads. Great to see Marengo fairing on the slippery surface and cheers to your 5 years of togetherness with Marengo !!

Going through the travelogue was a treat by itself and wish that you keep posting such awesome threads in the times to come which would indeed keep the readers in awe.

You are a man of steel Arunasish to have driven the Monster which is not equipt with a Power Steering on the Sandakphu Trail !! You just missed the snow by a whisker. Awaiting your TL on the Sandakphu as well.

Thanks AJ for the kind words, but trust me, I was all too worried how to make it come down in a controlled manner. As I said, I wanted to encounter the snow on the way up, so that i was aware of the risk, as to take it, or not. I wouldn't have, if I encountered snow on the way up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
What a way to bid adieu to 2015 and greet 2016.
Salutes to your skills at the wheel and the shutter. Kudos.
Thanks Sir! Returned safely, probably divine help. I would not want anyone to test their skills in a scenario like this.

Last edited by 1100D : 19th January 2016 at 00:51.
1100D is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2016, 01:50   #25
BHPian

1100D

This is a beautiful drive, captured with some wonderful pictures. The narration stands out with its own but some pictures can fill a thousand word article.

Lucky you to be able to get there over new year.

Keep the pictures coming.

Cheers
Rajain
Rajain is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2016, 08:18   #26
BHPian

I just finished reading your travelogue for the second time in last two days. Simply, I don't have enough words in my vocabulary to describe your pictures of Sandakphu!

Of late, whenever I hear about Sandakphu, it immediately reminds me about you! Anirban, you have taken "the Sandakphu drive" to a different level altogether!

Cheers,
gmhossain is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2016, 08:41   #27
BHPian

Hello Anirban Da. Fantastic write-up and wonderful pictures. Loved the night sky photos. Your travelogue is very inspirational for me. I drive a Swift, so driving to Sandakphu is logically out of question :P. May be in future,I might get myself a 4WD, and gather enough courage to go there. Respect to all the people in this forum, whoever has covered these roads. You guys are awesome.

Cheers,
Avishek
Red Panda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2016, 10:21   #28
BHPian

Dear 1100D,

Happy new year to you.

I would like to say that these are indeed great night shots, the mountains look terrific and the snowy village photos look alpine.

Having seen your earlier travelogues and photos, I personally fee that these photos have an "edge" to them. Any updates in your photography gear?

Cheers,
Sayak
sayakc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2016, 10:45   #29
BHPian

Words cannot to justice, so I will refrain! Superlative Rating it a well deserved 5 stars.

Last edited by Babuda : 19th January 2016 at 10:51.
Babuda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2016, 11:41   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
Of late, whenever I hear about Sandakphu, it immediately reminds me about you! Anirban, you have taken "the Sandakphu drive" to a different level altogether!

Cheers,
Thanks Sir! Wouldn't have posted this travelogue, had it not snowed and the night cleared up. So yes, the intention was to look at it from a different "perspective".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Panda View Post
Hello Anirban Da. Fantastic write-up and wonderful pictures. Loved the night sky photos. Your travelogue is very inspirational for me. I drive a Swift, so driving to Sandakphu is logically out of question :P. May be in future,I might get myself a 4WD, and gather enough courage to go there. Respect to all the people in this forum, whoever has covered these roads. You guys are awesome.

Cheers,
Avishek
Thanks Avishek, even without owning your own 4WD, Sandakphu is accessible. The charm of trekking cannot be described and alternatively, the Landrovers are still there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayakc View Post
Dear 1100D,

Happy new year to you.

I would like to say that these are indeed great night shots, the mountains look terrific and the snowy village photos look alpine.

Having seen your earlier travelogues and photos, I personally fee that these photos have an "edge" to them. Any updates in your photography gear?

Cheers,
Sayak
Thanks Sayak. No updates to photography gear in the last 2 years. Infact in this trip, my tried and tested tripod of years gave way, all by itself. Probably, the difference is patience and familiarity with whatever I have. One definite influence is bhpian Samba!
1100D is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote