Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 3rd December 2016, 14:40   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Tadoba Wilderness!

Few more images from the trip to Tadoba last week.
Attached Thumbnails
Tadoba Wilderness!-maya-cub.jpg  

Tadoba Wilderness!-madhuri-cub-bund.jpg  

Tadoba Wilderness!-maya-n-cub.jpg  

Torque123 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2016, 16:55   #17
BHPian

Great pictures! Looks like lady luck was shining bright!

I am heading to Tadoba in Jan. My first visit there. Hope you can help me out. The safari booking is confusing. I got a mail from the resort about these options:

Tadoba core Safari - ₹5800/-per safari per gypsy For 02 Pax
Tadoba Core Safari :- Rs.4500/- per safari per gypsy. (if online available)
Extra Person Rs. 1000/- Park entry fee per person / child above 05 years.
Alizanza/Ramdegi - Navegaon- Zone Safari -4000 per Gypsy per Safari ( 06 Pax)
Transfer :- TO & Fro Transfer By Nagpur Rs.6500/- By swift dzair Or Rs.7500/- By Innova

The transfer looks fine. Are the safaris so expensive?
I am staying for 3 nights, For 6 safaris I will end up spending 36K! Is this the norm? I was thinking Kabini is expensive, this is at another level
kvish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2016, 18:00   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post

I am heading to Tadoba in Jan. My first visit there. Hope you can help me out. The safari booking is confusing. I got a mail from the resort about these options:

Transfer :- TO & Fro Transfer By Nagpur Rs.6500/- By swift dzair Or Rs.7500/- By Innova

I am staying for 3 nights, For 6 safaris I will end up spending 36K! Is this the norm? I was thinking Kabini is expensive, this is at another level
Thank you for liking the images. Yes, usually the lady luck shines in Tadoba

Looking at your post, I assume you are going to stay in a resort close to Navegaon gate. I would suggest you stay & do safaris from either Kolara or Moharli as there are more staying options & more number of Gypsies entering from those gates. So getting safari permit will be a lot easier.

Irrespective of from which gate you are going to do safaris, I suggest book the safaris online yourself & do not get it done by the resort on your behalf. You will have to pay INR 1050 per safari (750 is for permit paid online & 300 is for guide charges paid at the gate). You will have to pay close to INR 2,500 for the Gypsy per safari (if you want the Gypsy to pick & drop you from & to the resort). So in total you will end up paying INR 3,600 per safari which is way less compared to what you have mentioned. The total safari cost mentioned is for max 6 people. It will not change if only 2 or 3 end up going for the safari.

I have stayed at Tadoba Tiger King resort at Kolara gate. The place & service is good & is very close to the safari entry gate. If you book the safari permits online yourself, then they will help you in arranging the Gypsy.

I have stayed at MTDC resort at Moharli gate. You can book this place online too & will cost INR 1,800 per room per day. Food is good & VFM. However they do not help in safari bookings.

My final suggestion would be to book accomodation in a resort at Kolara gate & also do safaris from Kolara. It is bang in the middle of places where there is a lot of sighting happening. This does not guarantee a sighting but will surely increase your chances if you are lucky enough.

No way Kabini is cheaper than any of the parks in central India. For INR 45K, a couple will get 2 nights stay, food & 4 safaris. Travel cost being extra.

In Tadoba if you go as group (minimum 4 people) you will end up spending approx INR 28K per person which will include 3 nights stay, food, 6 safaris for longer duration compared to Kabini & all your travel costs (from Bangalore - onward train journey & return - flight & local transfers)

All the best for your trip & let me know if you need more information.
Torque123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2016, 18:47   #19
BHPian

Thanks for your detailed response. Looks like I am stranded with the resorts as the online booking shows it is full for the entire weekend. I am guessing all the resorts have booked the safari slots. I will PM you for further details.

Thanks again!
Karthik
kvish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2016, 19:39   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your detailed response. Looks like I am stranded with the resorts as the online booking shows it is full for the entire weekend. I am guessing all the resorts have booked the safari slots. I will PM you for further details.

Thanks again!
Karthik
Sure, PM me and I can provide more details. Did you try the safari booking for Zhari/Kolsa core safari & the Junona/Dewada buffer safari on Moharli side? These areas are also rocking right now. We had booked all 6 safaris in core from Moharli gate. But ended up doing only 3 core safaris. The other 3 were in Junona buffer zone where we had our best sightings. The crowd in buffer zone safari is also less. So if you get a sighting you will not see the mad rush like what you see in core. We had to pay INR 300 more per head per safari other than the INR 2,500 what we pay for Gypsy as it was a spot booking. But for this, you will have to stay in Moharli range.

Last edited by Torque123 : 6th December 2016 at 19:41.
Old 7th December 2016, 08:59   #21
BHPian

Quote:

Booking packages through resort is costly. Better to book safari and accommodation online if it is available, will be much cheaper. MTDC Moharli is a very good option to stay and the food is also good. They will also help you get a gypsy for safari. I traveled in June with family and stayed at this place.
HighwayHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2016, 09:07   #22
BHPian

Nice photos. I traveled in June and did safaris from Kolara and Moharli range. Had only one sighting but really enjoyed the forest landscape. In one of our safari we were able to smell fresh meat in air. There was a beast somewhere nearby enjoying its kill though we were not able to see. Planning to visit again in March or April.
HighwayHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2016, 10:51   #23
Senior - BHPian

Very nice photos. I am really tempted to drive down to Tadoba for the cubs, have been seeing some lovely images everywhere.
nilanjanray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2016, 12:12   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayHopper View Post
Nice photos. I traveled in June and did safaris from Kolara and Moharli range. Had only one sighting but really enjoyed the forest landscape. In one of our safari we were able to smell fresh meat in air. There was a beast somewhere nearby enjoying its kill though we were not able to see. Planning to visit again in March or April.
Thank you for liking the images. Mar to Jun is the peak time for sightings. All the best for your trip in Mar or Apr. I am visiting Tadoba in Jun 2017 again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Very nice photos. I am really tempted to drive down to Tadoba for the cubs, have been seeing some lovely images everywhere.
Thank you for liking the images Nilanjan. Yes, Lots of cubs right now in Tadoba If someone wants to see tiny cubs (which is very difficult) then now is when they have to take a chance & be lucky too.
Old 7th December 2016, 13:59   #25
BHPian

Two more images of the 2 mothers. The first one is Madhuri on whom a documentary (Sisters of Teliya) has been filmed by NatGeo when she was raising her 2nd litter. Currently this is her 4th litter.

The second image is of the bold & beautiful Maya.
Attached Thumbnails
Tadoba Wilderness!-madhuri-bund.jpg  

Tadoba Wilderness!-maya-head-licking1.jpg  

Torque123 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2016, 18:51   #26
BHPian

Guess, these will be the final pics from Nov's Tadoba trip
Attached Thumbnails
Tadoba Wilderness!-maya-n-cub4.jpg  

Tadoba Wilderness!-peek-boo.jpg  

Tadoba Wilderness!-all-3-frame.jpg  

Torque123 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017, 04:35   #27
BHPian

Had done Tadoba in Nov 2016 & had got good cat sightings. But the desire to visit again kept the mind busy & impatient with a desire to explore the most beautiful, very less explored & magical range of Tadoba - Kolsa Range.

This range has been known for some unbelievable sightings (getting a cat sighting is very difficult compared to other ranges/zones in Tadoba, but if you get a sighting then it will be one of the best) with a superb landscape & the most important part which is "Less visited by tourists".

Planned for 8 safaris. 5 in Kolsa & 3 in Kolara range. There is a twist though. Reached Kolsa via Nagpur at around 12 in the afternoon of 20th Jan. The afternoon/evening safari starts at 2 PM. Quickly checked into the hotel/resort & were at the safari gate by 1.30 PM to finish the formalities at the entry gate. There is no need to reach so soon because there "ONLY" a couple of gypsies can enter the jungle for each safari. Old habits die hard. This is not the case with the Mohurli or Kolara gates which I have visited a few times.

Got a sub adult female Leopard crossing the safari track while waiting for a Tigress. This was a a result of maintaining silence & waiting for an hour or so after we heard few chital alarm calls. This Leopard crossed the track but it again put itself in reverse gear and crossed the track again to the same place from where it emerged. This kind of gave us confirmation that the Tigress is surely in & around the place where we were waiting. But that was not the case. After a few minutes we saw a mating pair of Leopards walking through the undergrowth instead of a Tigress. I have the image of the Leopardess which crossed the safari track which i will be posting later. Could not take decent images of the mating Leopard couple though we could very clearly see them with naked eye but capturing it on camera was very difficult because of the undergrowth. This was the highlight of the first safari.

Next day (21st Jan) the morning safari started at 6.30 AM. There was a Tigress with 4 sub adult cubs aged around 14 to 15 months old. There were a lot of peacock & jungle fowl calls. In this jungle you will hear more calls of these than sambar or spotted deer calls. Infact you will see very few herbivores here compared to the jungles in south. This does not mean the prey base is less. After waiting for the entire safari in & around the place from where the alarm calls kept coming, finally we start hearing the roar of the sub adult male cub who is the boldest of the litter. He emerged out of the bushes & sat on the track for a few minutes & then kept roaring & went inside slowly towards a water source which is out of our sight & disappeared. His roar was to scare away a Gaur which was also snorting heavily after it became aware of the Tiger's presence.In the evening safari, we saw the entire family crossing the safari track one by one & going towards the same waterhole which is not visible from the safari track. They had made a kill (not sure which animal was the prey) of which we had started to get the disinct smell late in the evening. This made us go to the same spot the next day morning too (22nd Jan) & saw 2 sub adult cubs from he same litter.

A couple of images of this family. The tigers seen in the below images are the sub adult cubs. Will post images as & when I can process the images. Held up with a lot of things at work.

To be Contd....
Attached Thumbnails
Tadoba Wilderness!-shivanzhari-cubs.jpg  

Tadoba Wilderness!-shivanzhari-cub.jpg  

Tadoba Wilderness!-shivanzhari-cubs1.jpg  

Torque123 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017, 14:45   #28
BHPian

22nd Jan afternoon safari got us another sighting of 3 of the 4 sub adult cubs of the same family again. The images posted in my previous post are from this sighting.

23rd Jan morning we entered the park at 6.30. There was lot of movement of a tigress which is supposed to have 3 small cubs of around 3 to 4 months old. She was out either to make a kill or was patrolling her territory. The former had more chances because it was more than a week since she had made her last kill. We saw her pug marks along the tracks and we decided to play the waiting game again. From around 8 AM we parked ourselves at a spot where the driver & guide felt the tigress would emerge at some distance. 1 hour went by & nothing at all. Then at around 9.15 started the langur alarm call. The alarm calls went on for 5 minutes or so & it then stopped. Then 10 minutes later we heard the subtle roar/call from the tigress calling her cubs. This is something which one should experience as it cannot be described in words.

We could guess the direction in which the tigress was approaching because of the roars/calls. She was at quite a distance for sure but this roar/call though subtle travels a long distance in the forest due to the silence. Imagine what a full on roar can do when the tiger is pissed off or out hunting. There was pin drop silence as we were the only gypsy there. Then at around 9.30 or so we could see her walking down a nullah at quite a distance & calling her cubs. We parked our gypsy around 200 meters from there as she came on to the safari track & walked head on to our gypsy. She then went to the nearby small stream where the cubs were as she was calling them throughout her walk. As she had walked a very long distance we assumed she first quenched her thirst because we could hear the cubs diving into the stream & playing in water. We could not see this as there was a big bund between us & the tigers. She then climbed the bund along with her cubs & came to the stream side which was visible to us. The images of the cubs posted below are captured during this time. The image of the tigress was taken when she was back from her patrolling & calling for her cubs. When they came to the side of the stream which was visible to us, they were very close for my 200-500 mm lens. Hence could not take more images as I could not fit them in the frame but enjoyed the sighting where in the tigress just crossed the stream in one leap & the cubs walking across the stream. This is when mobiles are handy as i could take videos of this sequence. She then went into the jungle but 2 cubs were very curious to see us & gave me an opportunity to keep some memorable images. While all this was happening, we were the only gypsy to be there. The entire sequence I have mentioned happened in like 20 to 25 minutes.

Few images from this sighting. Hope you guys like it.
Attached Thumbnails
Tadoba Wilderness!-kuhani-female.jpg  

Tadoba Wilderness!-kuhani-cub.jpg  

Tadoba Wilderness!-kuhani-cub2.jpg  

Tadoba Wilderness!-kuhani-cubs.jpg  

Torque123 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2017, 14:46   #29
BHPian

Found some time to process a few more images. Have re-processed & posted an image of the small cub as I did not feel the previous one was processed correctly.

Enjoy, Comments & feedback welcome
Attached Thumbnails
Tadoba Wilderness!-shivanzhari-langda.jpg  

Tadoba Wilderness!-shivanzhari-low-light.jpg  

Tadoba Wilderness!-kuhani-darling2.jpg  

Tadoba Wilderness!-shivanzhari-cub2.jpg  

Tadoba Wilderness!-shivanzhari-sleepy-cub.jpg  

Torque123 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2017, 16:27   #30
BHPian

Wonderful pictures, especially the cubs.

Though I had earlier visited several Tiger reserves in south and north, I am making my first visit to Tadoba this month. The only online booking for Core area, I have got(18th to 20th) is for 20 Mar morning from Navegaon gate. I am planning to reach Tadoba by car on 18th evening from Hyderabad. I have my wife accompanying me. I would be grateful if you can advise me on the following.
1. If I stay in MTDC, can I enter Navegaon gate on 20th morning
2. What are the chances that I can get 2 seats on 19th (Sunday) morn and evening either direct or sharing with earlier booked Gypsies?
3. Alternatively there are Jeeps available in the dual name zones as per Mahaonline site, which I persume are the Buffer zones. Which Buffer zone should I book so that I can stay at one place (I already have the confirmed Navegaon on 20th morn)
4. Any advise on medium range accommodation ?

Thanks
tomchacks is offline   Reply With Quote