Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 8th February 2016, 17:13   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Julley! Himalayan Spiti Adventure in a sedan

Lovely travelogue, you covered the complete trip with nice narration, photos and videos. I see in most of the pictures your Dzire is alone. Was the traffic low or the photographs taken to match the background? Its becomes really scary when suddenly you see no vehicles in front or back back in a regular route, I guess it was a trilling experience to be searching for a road when you were actually on the road that did not exist!
LoneRidder is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2016, 18:32   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
Lovely travelogue, you covered the complete trip with nice narration, photos and videos. I see in most of the pictures your Dzire is alone. Was the traffic low or the photographs taken to match the background? Its becomes really scary when suddenly you see no vehicles in front or back back in a regular route, I guess it was a trilling experience to be searching for a road when you were actually on the road that did not exist!
Thanks alot for taking out time to go through the travelogue. The reason for the photographs of a 'lone Dzire' is due to virtually zero traffic beyond Reckong Peo. That was due to the two reasons:

First one is that both the Kinnaur and Lahaul Spiti Districts of Himachal Pradesh are quite sparsely populated as they are located in high altitude and remote area of the country. The population of Kinnaur District as per the last census of 2011 was 84,298 and the total area of the district is 6,401 square kilometer. Thats makes the population density in Kinnaur to be 13 persons per square kilometer. Similarly the population of Lahaul & Spiti District as per the last census of 2011 was 31,528 and the total area of district is 13,833 square kilometer. Thats makes the population density in Lahaul & Spiti to be just 2 persons per square kilometer.

Secondly we went at the fag end of the season, when very few tourists visit Kinnaur and Lahaul-Spiti. Also the road conditions are extremely treacherous and only die hard adventure and seclusion seeking travellers visit the area. The traffic was so scarce that we came across less than 50 vehicles on a stretch of 270 kms between Puh and Gramphoo.

The 136 kms stretch between Kaza and Gramphoo was the most secluded one. It is only during the tourist season from July to September that these areas are frequented by some die hard travellers. Travelling on this stretch was quite thrilling and anxiety ridden.

Last edited by ssambyal1980 : 8th February 2016 at 18:37.
ssambyal1980 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 00:15   #18
BHPian

All my life I have heard that mountains are only for SUVs. Only here at TBHP I get to see mountains conquered in sedans and hatchbacks. This shows that the inhibitions are only in our minds!

Kudos for such a lovely narration and photographs.
AKTRACK is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 15:29   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKTRACK View Post
All my life I have heard that mountains are only for SUVs. Only here at TBHP I get to see mountains conquered in sedans and hatchbacks. This shows that the inhibitions are only in our minds!

Kudos for such a lovely narration and photographs.
Thanks alot for reading and appreciating the travelogue. I endorse your point of view as even I have heard the same advice a number of times that the high altitude Himalayan roads are meant for SUVs only. But that is largely applicable in those areas where off-roading is involved, like when the roads are unmetalled and cross through dry rivers beds etc. Nonetheless the most important characteristic which a vehicle should have to tread in such areas is a high ground clearance, a basic advantage which SUVs have but nonetheless their differentials are vulnerable to hits. Also not to forget that all the sedans and hatchbacks are front wheel drive (FWD) vehicles, as such traction becomes an issue in case of steep ascents (especially on rough tarmacs and unmetalled roads) as the weight gets transferred on the rear axle. Here again the SUVs have an advantage as most of them are rear wheel drive (RWD) vehicles.

In our case the Dzire’s decent ground clearance of 170mm coupled with a powerful engine didn't let us down. Although the drive over the rough stretches was quite anxious ridden as the main worry was to prevent the underside of the vehicle from getting hit, especially the engine oil sump and the fuel tank. You would be surprised to know that we came across two Tata Nanos on the Kaza-Manali highway and they were doing pretty well in such treacherous conditions because of two basic advantages at play, one is Nano’s excellent ground clearance of 180mm and secondly Nano is a rear wheel drive (RWD) vehicle, which aides in providing excellent traction on steep ascents. From my personal experience I would strongly recommend a 4WD vehicle on the Kaza-Manali highway, preferably a Maruti Gypsy King or Mahindra Thar.

Last edited by ssambyal1980 : 10th February 2016 at 15:30.
ssambyal1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 16:46   #20
BHPian

Great adventure! I also own a petrol swift and want to take my sedan to ladakh or spiti someday. How was the performance of dzire when the air was thin in the high altitudes? How was the performance when you had to stop on steep gradients? - Did dzire pick up smoothly or you had to slip clutch from standstill?
What average was your car giving in these extreme conditions? What is the average that you get on the plains?

And among the flurry of questions, the last one is - did you get any metal guard plate for the oil sump? As in my car it just has a plastic guard for the oil sump?

And yes, kudos to your spirit and grit.
YoungSaint is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 19:17   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungSaint View Post
Great adventure! I also own a petrol swift and want to take my sedan to ladakh or spiti someday. How was the performance of dzire when the air was thin in the high altitudes? How was the performance when you had to stop on steep gradients? - Did dzire pick up smoothly or you had to slip clutch from standstill?
What average was your car giving in these extreme conditions? What is the average that you get on the plains?

And among the flurry of questions, the last one is - did you get any metal guard plate for the oil sump? As in my car it just has a plastic guard for the oil sump?

And yes, kudos to your spirit and grit.
First of all thanks alot for your kind appreciation. Its nice to hear from a fellow Swift owner. Ill try to answer your queries in the same chronological order in which they were put.

1. The performance of Dzire was excellent even at high altitudes. The maximum height we reached on the trip was at Kunzum Pass (4,590 meters). Frankly speaking there was no issue of thin air as normally air starts getting rarefied at altitudes above 20,000 feet or 6096 meters.

2. Starting from a standstill position at the gradients didnt pose any issue except that the tyres lose traction for a second, which is normal in case of unmetalled roads.

3. The lowest average achieved during the trip was 11.5 km/l when mostly the drive was is 2nd and 1st gear with an occasional shift into the 3rd. The highest average achieved was 16.06 km/l and the overall for the trip was 14.73 km/l. In normal city driving conditions in plains, Dzire gives 15-16 km/l with AC and 17-18 km/l without AC. On open highways (4/6 laned) have achieved a maximum mileage of 21 km/l without AC and 18-19 km/l with AC (at uniform speed of 90 km/h).

4. No I didnt go for aftermarket sump guard fitment, although it is usually recommended while going in for such trips. Nonetheless on the positive side the ground clearance of Swift is 170mm, which is pretty decent. Moreover the sump is located further up from the basic ground clearance level. Despite all the protective measures the safety lies in slow and careful driving on unmetalled roads.

Good to know that you too have plans for the drives in the Himalayas. Wish you happy and safe motoring.
Old 11th February 2016, 12:00   #22
BHPian

Amazing. Just amazing. No other words in my dictionary to describe your effort on exploring the mighty Himalayas. Hats off to your enviable achievement. Keep driving my dear friend.
Jeevan Sukumar is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2016, 12:32   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeevan Sukumar View Post
Amazing. Just amazing. No other words in my dictionary to describe your effort on exploring the mighty Himalayas. Hats off to your enviable achievement. Keep driving my dear friend.
Thanks alot mate for your kind words of encouragement and appreciation. Wish you too a happy and safe motoring.
Old 11th February 2016, 17:10   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssambyal1980 View Post
First of all thanks alot for your kind appreciation. Its nice to hear from a fellow Swift owner. Ill try to answer your queries in the same chronological order in which they were put.

1. The performance of Dzire was excellent even at high altitudes. The maximum height we reached on the trip was at Kunzum Pass (4,590 meters). Frankly speaking there was no issue of thin air as normally air starts getting rarefied at altitudes above 20,000 feet or 6096 meters.

2. Starting from a standstill position at the gradients didnt pose any issue except that the tyres lose traction for a second, which is normal in case of unmetalled roads.

3. The lowest average achieved during the trip was 11.5 km/l when mostly the drive was is 2nd and 1st gear with an occasional shift into the 3rd. The highest average achieved was 16.06 km/l and the overall for the trip was 14.73 km/l. In normal city driving conditions in plains, Dzire gives 15-16 km/l with AC and 17-18 km/l without AC. On open highways (4/6 laned) have achieved a maximum mileage of 21 km/l without AC and 18-19 km/l with AC (at uniform speed of 90 km/h).

4. No I didnt go for aftermarket sump guard fitment, although it is usually recommended while going in for such trips. Nonetheless on the positive side the ground clearance of Swift is 170mm, which is pretty decent. Moreover the sump is located further up from the basic ground clearance level. Despite all the protective measures the safety lies in slow and careful driving on unmetalled roads.

Good to know that you too have plans for the drives in the Himalayas. Wish you happy and safe motoring.
Thanks for the detailed answers. I would love to take my swift DZire to these lovely places.

I get around 16 KMPL average on highways. But I am a little enthusiastic driver. If driving sedately, I have got 19 KMPL with AC. DZire is a great car. Happy to know that people are taking it to these awesome places.
Old 12th February 2016, 15:20   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed answers. I would love to take my swift DZire to these lovely places.

I get around 16 KMPL average on highways. But I am a little enthusiastic driver. If driving sedately, I have got 19 KMPL with AC. DZire is a great car. Happy to know that people are taking it to these awesome places.
Definitely Dzire is a great car and its petrol engine is a real gem, being a perfect combination of performance along with economy. Moreover being a Maruti Suzuki vehicle it is supported by the company's wide and well anchored service network spread all over the country. Also the pricing is extremely competitive, hence no doubt it has become the best selling sedan in India, with the latest passenger car sales figures testifying it. In my two years of ownership I have travelled across the country, right from the heights of the Himalayas to the vast plains and beyond the Deccan towards the south (on a maiden cross country trip from Chandigarh to Hyderabad via Delhi, Jhansi, Nagpur and back) and it has been a very pleasant and exciting driving experience so far.

Last edited by ssambyal1980 : 12th February 2016 at 15:23.
Old 12th February 2016, 16:38   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssambyal1980 View Post
Definitely Dzire is a great car and its petrol engine is a real gem, being a perfect combination of performance along with economy. Moreover being a Maruti Suzuki vehicle it is supported by the company's wide and well anchored service network spread all over the country. Also the pricing is extremely competitive, hence no doubt it has become the best selling sedan in India, with the latest passenger car sales figures testifying it. In my two years of ownership I have travelled across the country, right from the heights of the Himalayas to the vast plains and beyond the Deccan towards the south (on a maiden cross country trip from Chandigarh to Hyderabad via Delhi, Jhansi, Nagpur and back) and it has been a very pleasant and exciting driving experience so far.
I can totally vouch for the DZire petrol car. My father owns one and he has driven it 98000 KM in around 3 years of time. No major work done on the vehicle. Mine has done 35000 km in around 2 years. I am planning on a pune-alwar-pune trip in March and totally excited about it.

Drive safe!
Old 12th February 2016, 17:08   #27

Thanks for sharing this wonderful travelogue. Even more happy to read this since you covered it in a Dzire. I have the same car but I drive it at a much, much lower altitude. I am just amazed looking at the pictures and can only imagine how it must feel to experience it in person. The landscape is spectacular to say the least. Really a treat for the eyes.
sanmish is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2016, 12:25   #28
BHPian

Quote:
I can totally vouch for the DZire petrol car. My father owns one and he has driven it 98000 KM in around 3 years of time. No major work done on the vehicle. Mine has done 35000 km in around 2 years. I am planning on a pune-alwar-pune trip in March and totally excited about it.

Drive safe!
Good to know about your love for Dzire. All the best for your forthcoming trip. GODSPEED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmish View Post
Thanks for sharing this wonderful travelogue. Even more happy to read this since you covered it in a Dzire. I have the same car but I drive it at a much, much lower altitude. I am just amazed looking at the pictures and can only imagine how it must feel to experience it in person. The landscape is spectacular to say the least. Really a treat for the eyes.
Thanks for reading the travelogue and for your kind words of appreciation. It's nice to hear from yet another proud Dzire owner. Wish you happy and safe motoring.
Old 14th February 2016, 14:16   #29
Senior - BHPian

Very nice write-up complimented with superb pics and videos. I always have a connection with Dzire as my previous car was Dzire and wanted to drive it to such heights, but unfortunately couldn't. So,its good to see you doing it in a Dzire
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2016, 18:36   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Very nice write-up complimented with superb pics and videos. I always have a connection with Dzire as my previous car was Dzire and wanted to drive it to such heights, but unfortunately couldn't. So,its good to see you doing it in a Dzire
Thanks for your kind words of appreciation. It's nice to hear from someone who is a Dzire fan and has owned it.