Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 22nd September 2016, 09:59   #46
Default Re: Julley! Himalayan Spiti Adventure in a sedan

Originally Posted by SajiNSalin View Post
In the third week of September 2015, ie a month before your trip, I and my wife had driven from Ahmedabad to Spiti and back in a Dzire of the older kind. We drove through Chandigarh to Chail, Narkanda, Rampur, Chitkul, Kalpa, Kaza, Losar, Chandratal and on to Manali. We did not have any underbody hits, but after Chatru, on the last water crossing before Gramphoo, all four engine mounting bolts sheared off and we could barely limp on to the Manali Leh highway. The car was stranded on the Leh side of Rohtang pass, but a passing Team Bhpian in a Thar towed us all the way to Manli, which took 8 hours. Such is the bonding of the Team BhP fraternity. In Manali, a roadside mechanic repaired the car in a day and a half, taking the trouble to get a timing gear from Delhi by the overnight bus. It is a treacherous route, but one that never leaves your mind about the beauty of the place. Since then, I have sold off the Dzire and bought a AWD Duster and look forward to a repeat of this wonderful car drive. Next time you should visit Chandratal lake which is amazingly beautiful and worth all the trouble of this journey. You are fortunate to be in Chandigarh and can undertake this journey at short notice.
Thanks Sir for sharing your valuable experience. Sad to know about your ordeal on the Kaza-Manali highway. Couldn't agree more with you that though being the most treacherous route to drive on, its also the one with the most beautiful sights all through. Its also heartening to know about the bonhomie and cooperation which the BHPians share with each other. During our trip too we suffered three minor under body hits and were lucky enough to sail through without much hassles as the trip was undertaken in late October with the most of the river crossings being dry owing to approaching winter. But nonetheless its highly recommended to wrap up the Spiti trip by late September itself as the chances of getting stuck en route due to heavy snowfall in the month of October cannot be ruled out. To conclude from my driving experience on the route, I would like to say that the Kaza-Manali highway is strictly not recommended for sedans/hatchbacks. Infact after returning from a trip to Leh in Swift Dzire recently, I found the Manali-Leh highway much easier and pleasurable to drive on. Would be sharing the travelogue regarding the same.

Last edited by ssambyal1980 : 22nd September 2016 at 10:02.
ssambyal1980 is offline   Reply With Quote