Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 29th February 2016, 16:56   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Shimla - Driving in Snow!

Wow... What a fantastic drive @bullrun87

Mesmerised with the pictures of fresh snow. Very well captured as well. This drive reminded me The White Travelogue by tsk1979 http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-narkanda.html (The White Travelogue - Kalpa-Sangla-Narkanda)

You are really lucky for being a native to beautiful place like Shimla, I envy you for this
J_Man is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2016, 20:53   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrun87 View Post
Hey YoungSaint,
Although ABS will assist you in most snowy conditions, nothing really helps in slippery black/ clear ice. ABS can only help you if there is atleast some level of grip from the tyres.
It is best to avoid braking as much as possible and use constant throttle input to prevent sliding. Engine braking helps to slow the car down in a much slower and safer way than using the foot brake. I usually shift to a lower gear to slow down or ease off the throttle when in first gear. I also prefer running the car as much as possible on fresh snow instead of clear ice even if it means driving slightly on the side of the road.
Excellent advice bullrun-ji. Having stayed in snow-bound areas for close to 15 years, can't agree more. Just a few things to add for others:

FWD cars behave much better than RWD cars. If you are in a FWD car and your wheels start slipping, don't panic (easier said than done) and slowly start steering your car with mild accelerator input towards the spot where you want to go. No hard acceleration or braking, and no sudden turn of the steering wheel. If you are in a RWD car, its recommended to keep a bag of sand in your trunk. If you are in a 4WD vehicle, do not get overconfident. Once your wheels start slipping uncontrollably, 4WD won't matter, nor will the best electronic traction control in the world help. I have seen more 4WD vehicles in ditches during or after a heavy snow-storm than 2WD cars because of overconfidence of the 4WD drivers. Last October, I was driving my Scorpio on a heavy snow-bound Kunzum pass in Himachal, and with 4WD Low on, my speed was not more than 5 kmph. Tire-wise, the best option is to get snow tires with metal studs, or even better, with heavy duty snow-chains on, but that is not practical or even always available in India except with the military.
Ultimately, the key to driving on ice and snow is not to rush, take it really easy, and know your limits. Try to get knowledge from the locals before you venture to tackle a snowy mountain pass. You should be fine.
mr.sinha is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 11:56   #18
BHPian

Beautiful pics and very much tempting. I can imagine the level of difficulty to drive on snow roads looking at the way the Scorpio guy drifted.

All said and done, you sowed a seed in my head to do a North (Leh-Ladakh drive) yet again this year.
Venku2015 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016, 11:39   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Man View Post

Mesmerised with the pictures of fresh snow. Very well captured as well. This drive reminded me The White Travelogue by tsk1979 http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-narkanda.html (The White Travelogue - Kalpa-Sangla-Narkanda)
Thanks for the kind words. The white travelogue like others tanveer has written is simply amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.sinha View Post
Excellent advice bullrun-ji. Having stayed in snow-bound areas for close to 15 years, can't agree more. Just a few things to add for others:
FWD cars behave much better than RWD cars. If you are in a FWD car and your wheels start slipping, don't panic (easier said than done) and slowly start steering your car with mild accelerator input towards the spot where you want to go. No hard acceleration or braking, and no sudden turn of the steering wheel. If you are in a RWD car, its recommended to keep a bag of sand in your trunk. If you are in a 4WD vehicle, do not get overconfident. Once your wheels start slipping uncontrollably, 4WD won't matter, nor will the best electronic traction control in the world help. I have seen more 4WD vehicles in ditches during or after a heavy snow-storm than 2WD cars because of overconfidence of the 4WD drivers. Last October, I was driving my Scorpio on a heavy snow-bound Kunzum pass in Himachal, and with 4WD Low on, my speed was not more than 5 kmph. Tire-wise, the best option is to get snow tires with metal studs, or even better, with heavy duty snow-chains on, but that is not practical or even always available in India except with the military.

Ultimately, the key to driving on ice and snow is not to rush, take it really easy, and know your limits. Try to get knowledge from the locals before you venture to tackle a snowy mountain pass. You should be fine.
That's some great advice sinha ji.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venku2015 View Post
Beautiful pics and very much tempting. I can imagine the level of difficulty to drive on snow roads looking at the way the Scorpio guy drifted.

All said and done, you sowed a seed in my head to do a North (Leh-Ladakh drive) yet again this year.
Do come again, one can never get tired of doing the ladakh loop.
bullrun87 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote