Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2016, 13:37   #16
BHPian
 
Teesh@BHP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: BNG/KWR
Posts: 42
Thanked: 127 Times
Default Re: Hampi: A journey to the forgotten empire

Excellent travelogue coupled with some great pictures!

I had recently been to Hospet for a colleague's marriage and was lucky enough to see Hampi. Though unfortunately, due to lack of time, I couldn't cover even 10% of the entire civilization!

Here's a picture of the famous stone chariot in Vitthala temple I had captured during the trip:

Hampi: A journey to the forgotten empire-img_20160229_094515.jpg
Teesh@BHP is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 13:43   #17
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 18
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Hampi: A journey to the forgotten empire

It was really pleasant reading the back ground of Hampi as you described and the pictures are absolute feast to the eyes.
shiva_s is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 15:51   #18
BHPian
 
varunraizada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 44
Thanked: 129 Times
Default Re: Hampi: A journey to the forgotten empire

Brilliant Travelogue. 5 Star rating !

Most of the pics have NO people in them !

Is it the photographer's brilliance or the heat ?

Your heat comment reminds me of the weekends in Delhi summers (April and May) that we spent with camera in hand at Humayu's tomb / Lal quila / zoo , etc in delhi .. I guess the best pics of these monuments were taken during summer with NOONE around

Very nice research on the place and I loved the way you have used your clicked pics for showcasing your research as well !

Any idea on the road between Hubli and Hampi ?
varunraizada is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 17:18   #19
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: India
Posts: 208
Thanked: 512 Times
Default Re: Hampi: A journey to the forgotten empire

Poetic read of the history. Thanks a lot for the intro. I was not aware of lots of historical facts.
It puts you in a mix of emotions when you read such stuff. On one hand you feel the amazing sense of pride and happiness to know about the structures and it's construction, but it makes you feel equally sad to hear the part about destruction. Not sure if there is any other species other than Mankind which can destroy it's own creations for just supremacy (Please don't mention Tiger/Lion killings it's cub!! My point was not that.)
Some of the ruins looks so stunning and majestic and I can't help but think how this would have been 500 years back in it's full glory!!

Fate has been playing with my plans of visiting Hampi. Every time I plan, something gets in the way. Hopefully 2016 is the year that is supposed to happen. Can someone suggest if it is a good plan to travel during the summers? Most of the people I ask discourage me because of the scorching heat.

Rated the Article a well deserved 5 stars!!!!
RaghuVis is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 17:42   #20
BHPian
 
grkonweb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 51
Thanked: 190 Times
Default Re: Hampi: A journey to the forgotten empire

Well written...especially the historical narratives. Never knew so much about history of Hampi in so much detail. Nice pictures too. Hope to visit them soon.

BTW the tank is really strikingly beautiful!!!
grkonweb is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 17:50   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
ariesonu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,090
Thanked: 1,271 Times
Default Re: Hampi: A journey to the forgotten empire

Amazing PROCRJ,
Such a small world, I was at JSW guest house which is located just behind the HYATT PALACE (The A after P is missing in the sign board) between 15th & 19th Feb. The restaurant is awesome there. Do try it next time.
I was there on business trip. The place is really an OASIS in the region.

The guesthouse in Panorama - The white structure on right is guest rooms
Hampi: A journey to the forgotten empire-imag1834.jpg

JSW temple in Vidyanagar - This is across the road from HYATT - Area is named PANCHVATI
Hampi: A journey to the forgotten empire-imag1794.jpg

The presiding deities
Hampi: A journey to the forgotten empire-imag1795.jpg

We both have been on same road
Hampi: A journey to the forgotten empire-imag1828.jpg

The JSW guest house entrance
Hampi: A journey to the forgotten empire-imag1793.jpg

The garden behind entrance & between guest rooms area
Hampi: A journey to the forgotten empire-imag1800.jpg
Hampi: A journey to the forgotten empire-imag1786.jpg

Raab rakha.
ariesonu is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 18:09   #22
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,830
Thanked: 4,778 Times
Default Re: Hampi: A journey to the forgotten empire

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunraizada View Post
Any idea on the road between Hubli and Hampi ?
Check this thread for Mumbai-Hampi via Hubli - here (Mumbai - Hampi : Route Queries)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Can someone suggest if it is a good plan to travel during the summers? Most of the people I ask discourage me because of the scorching heat.
From what I know the summer months will be very tough on visitors, so better to avoid. We were there in January so it was quite pleasant in the mornings and evenings but between 11am and 4pm the sun came out blazing all guns, suffered some sunburn as well
Also, just like you mentioned, our plan to visit Hampi never seemed to materialize before 2016, so this maybe the year for your visit as well!

Last edited by NPV : 1st March 2016 at 18:13.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 19:20   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
procrj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,120
Thanked: 2,467 Times
Default Re: Hampi: A journey to the forgotten empire

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
You may also be interested in doing the trek on the rocks parallel to the river that leads from Vittala temple to Virupaksha temple via the Yanthrodharaka Anjaneya temple and the Nandi (monolithic bull). We could not do this due to lack of time.
Yes this trek is on the plan for next visit
Quote:
Bheema's Gateway, underground Shiva temple,
Did see these but was not as striking as the other ruins. There is a path behind Bhima's gateway that leads to the hillock behind it. This was supposedly one of the main entrances to the city.
Quote:
Daroji bear sanctuary that is about 12 Km from Kamalapur
Not much to see there was the feedback. Just 4-5 sloth bears and given the heat, even they would have been hard to spot.
Quote:
There is also an old temple once you cross the railway tracks from Hospet towards Kamalapur - this is called the "Ananthashayana Gudi", again this one is for the next visit for us. So much to see, need a lot of time!
Thanks for that info. Will search for it the next time
Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Awesome read and nice coverage of history with present day sightseeing of course! And it is very much evident that you are loving your red dwarf rides more than before!
Thanks avinash. Absolutely loving the ride and with every passing week, the number of road trip plans only seem to be increasing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teesh@BHP View Post
Excellent travelogue coupled with some great pictures!
Thanks Teesh@BHP. Do make time to explore the place in detail. Worth it
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiva_s View Post
It was really pleasant reading the back ground of Hampi as you described and the pictures are absolute feast to the eyes.
Thanks shiva
Quote:
Originally Posted by varunraizada View Post
Brilliant Travelogue. 5 Star rating !
Thanks varun
Quote:
Most of the pics have NO people in them !
Is it the photographer's brilliance or the heat ?
Credit to the photographer - my better half. Does not let go until she is satisfied with the click
Quote:
Very nice research on the place and I loved the way you have used your clicked pics for showcasing your research as well !
Well that was just to break the monotony of reading long paras of text. Most people today believe that 140 characters is more that sufficient to convey important info and hence my ploy to trick people into reading more
Quote:
Any idea on the road between Hubli and Hampi ?
Refer to @Chaand's recent trip here (Solo drive from Mumbai to Hampi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
It puts you in a mix of emotions when you read such stuff. On one hand you feel the amazing sense of pride and happiness to know about the structures and it's construction, but it makes you feel equally sad to hear the part about destruction.
Well there is a little more background to this. Apparently after his victory over Adil Shah in 1520, Krishnadeva Raya plundered bijapur and desecrated muslim shrines and asked Adil Shah to fall at his feet and beg for mercy. But again, nothing can justify wanton destruction of any city.
Quote:
Fate has been playing with my plans of visiting Hampi. Every time I plan, something gets in the way. Hopefully 2016 is the year that is supposed to happen. Can someone suggest if it is a good plan to travel during the summers? Most of the people I ask discourage me because of the scorching heat.
Hope you get to visit soon. Its already pretty hot there right now & I cant imagine the heat in summer. 11 am - 4 pm is just too hot to do anything and hence you might be better off going there Aug/Sep
Quote:
Originally Posted by grkonweb View Post
Well written...especially the historical narratives. Never knew so much about history of Hampi in so much detail. Nice pictures too. Hope to visit them soon.
BTW the tank is really strikingly beautiful!!!
Thanks gkonweb
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
I was at JSW guest house which is located just behind the HYATT PALACE
small world indeed
Quote:
JSW temple in Vidyanagar - This is across the road from HYATT - Area is named PANCHVATI
I could see this from my room window and was wondering what temple it was.
procrj is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 19:39   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,336
Thanked: 922 Times
Default Re: Hampi: A journey to the forgotten empire

Super travelogue and makes me want to plan a trip myself. Lovely to read all the history interspersed in as well.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2016, 07:15   #25
BHPian
 
adityadeva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: kochi
Posts: 82
Thanked: 89 Times
Default Re: Hampi: A journey to the forgotten empire

Beautiful travelouge. The pictures are awesome. A few words on where you stayed and took food would have been a added bonus for the ones who wish to go there.
adityadeva is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2016, 09:41   #26
BHPian
 
anand_hc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 78
Thanked: 43 Times
Default Re: Hampi: A journey to the forgotten empire

Great post, thanks for history addition. Another visit to Hampi through your eyes.

You never get tired of the place. Just sitting & watching river flow amidst ruins is a beautiful experience.
anand_hc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2016, 12:10   #27
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: CALICUT
Posts: 27
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Hampi: A journey to the forgotten empire

What a post!!! Many thanks, and kudos on those wonderful photographs.
durgaprasan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2016, 13:17   #28
BHPian
 
King_pin09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 275
Thanked: 321 Times
Default Re: Hampi: A journey to the forgotten empire

A very nice and detailed information over there PROCRJ. Thanks for sharing.

Hampi stands as evidence as how disastrous it could be if power is vested in wrong hands. A better administrator would have averted this war havoc and the aftermath massive destruction along with human massacre would have ever happened. My heart gets heavier each time I visit this place, and an image of the Vijayanagara blooming in its full glory keeps emerging in my mind.
King_pin09 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2016, 14:26   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
procrj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,120
Thanked: 2,467 Times
Default Re: Hampi: A journey to the forgotten empire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Super travelogue and makes me want to plan a trip myself. Lovely to read all the history interspersed in as well.
Thanks Axe77
Quote:
Originally Posted by adityadeva View Post
Beautiful travelouge. The pictures are awesome. A few words on where you stayed and took food would have been a added bonus for the ones who wish to go there.
Thanks aditya. Do check post #6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anand_hc View Post
Great post, thanks for history addition. Another visit to Hampi through your eyes.
You never get tired of the place. Just sitting & watching river flow amidst ruins is a beautiful experience.
Thanks anand. Did not get a chance to visit the river this time around but I do plan to the next time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by durgaprasan View Post
What a post!!! Many thanks, and kudos on those wonderful photographs.
Thanks durgaprasan
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_pin09 View Post
A very nice and detailed information over there PROCRJ. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks king_pin09
Quote:
Hampi stands as evidence as how disastrous it could be if power is vested in wrong hands. A better administrator would have averted this war havoc and the aftermath massive destruction along with human massacre would have ever happened. My heart gets heavier each time I visit this place, and an image of the Vijayanagara blooming in its full glory keeps emerging in my mind.
I think hampi was a victim of its age. Increase in influence of Vijayanagar made its enemies unite and destroy it. This has happened many times in history and I doubt that a good administrator would have been able to control the empire when you have multiple foes attacking in force. But yes I do agree that we would have had a lot to gain if it was not destroyed and continued to be a center of culture & commerce.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2016, 14:37   #30
BHPian
 
King_pin09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 275
Thanked: 321 Times
Default Re: Hampi: A journey to the forgotten empire

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Well there is a little more background to this. Apparently after his victory over Adil Shah in 1520, Krishnadeva Raya plundered bijapur and desecrated muslim shrines and asked Adil Shah to fall at his feet and beg for mercy. But again, nothing can justify wanton destruction of any city.
Good information there.

Krishnadevaraya during May 1920 had defeated Bijapur Adil shah and conquered the fort of Raichur. It was here when Adil shah was asked to fall down to his feet.

Krishnadevaraya during 1509 had defeated the last Bahamani sultan and plundered Gulbarga.

I recall no instance of Bijapur getting plundered by Krishnadevaraya.

Am I missing some thing here.

Nevertheless, the last batch of Vijayanagara kings were arrogant, short tempered and short sighted. They were more worried for passing power to their family clans than the future, integrity and prosperity of the vast kingdom. This was the very reason that led to untimely downfall of this mighty Empire.
King_pin09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hampi: Visiting the Forgotten Empire of Vijayanagara Samurai Travelogues 102 2nd March 2016 14:17
The Majestic Empire : Hampi libranof1987 Travelogues 29 13th April 2011 17:16
Photofeast : Bangalore to Hampi.. The last Empire - Now Ruins... arun.r Travelogues 5 20th January 2011 14:08
Life is a Journey. Lets Make it Cinematic by Journeying within that Journey btirthankar Introduce yourself 10 24th April 2009 14:49
Capital fort of Maratha Empire - Raigad neoonwheels Travelogues 4 22nd October 2008 15:46


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:24.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks