Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 30th March 2016, 12:32   #61
Senior - BHPian

Arrow Re: The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDe View Post
how was the overall food experience? Any pointers for vegetarians!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mentalmaxout View Post
As regards vegetarian food, its not a problem these days, enough subways, McDs & Burger kings plus lots of pasta, pizza joints !! It may be a challenge in countries where English is not widely spoken, but not in the places we had gone
Vegetarian food used to be an issue even 5 years back. Bakery items used to be either sugar or salt based. Very low quantity of vegetables used to be sprinkled / used on Pizza / Burger. In France, at some places, it used to be difficult to even make people understand the meaning of the word "Vegetarian". For most people, vegetables consisted of only tomatoes and cabbages. Not an issue any more, in most parts of Europe. But the choices are less compared to non-veg.

Today one can find falafel / Kebab joints all round. "Migros" chain for example in most parts of Switzerland, is the best VFM.
Chethan B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2016, 13:05   #62
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe

Mod Note: Instalment 2 (i.e. 6 posts) of the travelogue have been moved from the Assembly Line to this thread. You'll find them on the previous page. Click here to go directly to the new posts.

Thanks for sharing, Mentalmaxout!
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2016, 14:51   #63
BHPian

Default Re: The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe

Dear Mentalmaxout, I'm sorry that I can only give you a 5 star rating and nothing more.

BTW, You're maxing me out mentally with your creative writing.

The photos of the Charles Bridge just look too good. Waiting to see the rest of the TL.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2016, 17:30   #64
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Just started reading the second installment and want to spread it over 3-4 days. That way I have something to look forward to every day and by the time I would be done, the next installment would hopefully be ready!

Maulik, the travelogue is evolving very nicely!
Loved the rush to catch the train, the ++ experience and the "unfinished business" bit with the "perform to his full potential". Absolutely bone tickling funny!
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2016, 18:13   #65
BHPian

Brilliant travelogue! If this is your first, then you better make up for it

Rated 5 stars. Reading it in one go! Keep traveling, and keep writing
chetan_l is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2016, 00:07   #66

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@mentalmaxout

Bro your tag lines for each and every picture is just so spot on, I mean you are too damn good at it, one travelogue which I have been following from day one.
Am an absolute fan of your writing skills and it's hard to believe that you are not a professional writer, anyway keep it coming, am sure every bhpian is going around the Europe tour via your travelogue

Keep up the good work,
understated is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2016, 09:50   #67
BHPian

Excellent travelogue. have very rarely read a travelogue capturing emotions. Most of it is to the point with great pics. Salut to your creativity buddy.
FuelInjector is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2016, 15:13   #68
Senior - BHPian

Hello Maulik,

Fantastic travelogue. What more can I say... I am speechless. You writing skills are really good. Thank you for this masterpiece.

Having lived in Germany for little more than 2 years and traveled to most of the places you are narrating brings back wonderful memories.

Infact I am my family were in Prague during 27th Feb to 2nd Mar 2015, just a month before you visited there and it was really cold. I am waiting for your narration of visit to Prague Castle (Pražský hrad) and of-course pictures. Further if you allow me, I will add one picture each of Castle and Charles Bridge here.

Thanks,
Jignesh
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2016, 17:19   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Dear Mentalmaxout, I'm sorry that I can only give you a 5 star rating and nothing more.

BTW, You're maxing me out mentally with your creative writing.
Thank you. I have always been a fan of 5 stars even in school. Gobbled a lot of them then !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Just started reading the second installment and want to spread it over 3-4 days. That way I have something to look forward to every day and by the time I would be done, the next installment would hopefully be ready!

Maulik, the travelogue is evolving very nicely!
Loved the rush to catch the train, the ++ experience and the "unfinished business" bit with the "perform to his full potential". Absolutely bone tickling funny!
Thanks SDP - eagerly awaiting your comments once you finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello Maulik,

res. Further if you allow me, I will add one picture each of Castle and Charles Bridge here.

Thanks,
Jignesh
It would be my greatest pleasure !! Please do post !! It will be lovely to hear your experiences
mentalmaxout is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2016, 18:48   #70
BHPian

Day 3 Prague

Our last day in Prague today, and with our main sights covered, we decided to do a few off beat things. Most tourists who come to Prague do so with an accelerated time schedule. But my advice is, give yourself at least 3 nights in Prague to truly understand and embrace all that Prague has to offer.
Today was all about doing little things which Prague is famous for. Morning we planned to take the local tram and visit Petrin Hill.

the Maa-in-law & Bauji-in-law up ready !!

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-289.jpg

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-img_20150331_114935.jpg

Prague Map layout again!

Name:  praha_map.jpg
Views: 1764
Size:  60.8 KB

Petrin lies near Zone 6 - Strahov and is an easy (debatable) walk from hradcany (Prague Castle in Zone 1 ) - which was our next sight for today.

Petřín is a hill in the center of Prague, It rises some 130 m above the left bank of the Vltava River. The hill, almost entirely covered with parks, is a favorite recreational area for the inhabitants of Prague

On the top of the hill is an Eiffel tower replica – which overlooks the city of Prague offering spectacular views. Built as a mini version of Paris's Eiffel Tower, the Petrin Observation Tower was built in 1891 .

The Tower is set in landscaped gardens, which make for a pleasant stroll all year round. In the grounds there is also an observatory with a telescope open to the public, a hall of mirrors, a church, and a rose garden - activities aplenty for kids & adults.

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-petrin-2.jpg

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-petrin.jpg

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-img_20150331_131726.jpg

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-img_20150331_124114.jpg

To reach the Observation Tower and other attractions at the top of Petrin Hill,one can take the Funicular Railway. This departs from Ujezd street in the Lesser Town (Malá Strana), near Ujezd tram stop. However during our time, the funicular was closed for repairs

An Alternative route is to take a 30 minute stroll up Petrin Hill - the climb is steep, but the walk is pleasant, passing through gardens and wooded areas. However, since all of us are fit and fine, we decided to skip the exercise and take the easier route – Tram 22 up the Castle Hill above Prague Castle (stop: Pohořelec). It is easier to enjoy the beauty of the area going down the hill rather than up. 

The family enjoying the ride to the Hill

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-630.jpg

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-632.jpg

the Local Produce - became a part of our picnic basket to be used later !

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-635.jpg

The tower itself is 60m tall, which doesn't seem particularly high until you add in the fact that it sits at the summit of Petrin Hill, which is 318m (1043 feet) high. The climb is steep - 299 steps to reach the top of the tower. On a clear day it is possible to see the highest peak in the Czech Republic, Snezka, which is 150km away. However on a windy day, you do get a bit of swaying feel!

Some employee motivation for the BRAT to make the climb of 299 steps - would have been impossible to carry him up !!

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-img_20150331_140211.jpg

And a deal-sweetener for the Wife as well !!

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-img_20150331_140446.jpg

While we were at the tower, it started drizzling and as a result we experienced these !

Enjoy the views

If you look closely you will see a Double -Rainbow.

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-296.jpg

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-643.jpg

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-644.jpg

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-645.jpg

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-650.jpg

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-649.jpg

Truly - the pot of Gold at both sides of the Rainbow originates in Prague
The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-654.jpg

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-655.jpg

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-656.jpg

Love the spired tiled- uniformity in the City's rooftops -
The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-657.jpg

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-663.jpg

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-664.jpg

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-665.jpg

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-666.jpg

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-667.jpg

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-668.jpg
mentalmaxout is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2016, 20:05   #71
BHPian

This is one of the best travelogue i read in Team Bhp in the recent times. You have an excellent writing skill. You are gifted Sir. I was just glued to your travelogue. The pics you have shared are very lively and really shows the essence of an Euro trip. Thanks a lot for sharing. Will definitely look forward for more such travelogues from you in the future.

Edit- Rated 5*

Last edited by Samba : 1st April 2016 at 20:11.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2016, 12:06   #72
BHPian

Day 3 Prague contd..

After savouring the superlative views of Prague from the Petrin Hill, our next destination was the Imperious & magnificent Prague Castle. From the hill, a small beautiful pathway leads down directly to Prague castle. Roughly the size of seven football fields, Prague Castle is the largest ancient castle in the world. Built and renovated during 13 centuries, the complex includes churches, gardens, alleyways and royal residences that would take days to appreciate. Unfortunately we just had a few hours.

While none of us have a fancy for Churches, the St. Vitus Cathedral inside was truly magnificent. Additionally, the Golden Lane - a street situated at the Prague Castle, is a nice stroll. Golden Lane consist of tiny colored houses. Today it is a part of small and big castle ring (i.e. entrance is available for paying a fee), while from the closing hour of Prague Castle interiors it is open for free. Nowadays there are many souvenir shops in the houses and there is a medieval museum of armory within the former 14th-century fortification accessible from the Golden Lane. The best time to stroll would be in late afternoons.

A point to remember - Prague castle closes at 4 pm till 31st March & from 1st April, it closes at 5 pm. While in Prague Castle, there are several tours to choose from. In my opinion, Tour B is the best bang for the buck, covering most of the sights without delving deeper into too much historic architecture.

Enjoy the pics.

Family "seflie" - Poor BRAT's expression - whom do i hug ?
The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-297.jpg

The enchanting quaint walkway from Petrin Hill to Prague Castle

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-671.jpg

Usain-Bolt'ish pose

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-673.jpg

'I love my husband' pose
The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-678.jpg

The Magnificent Entrance !

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-300.jpg

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-prague-castle4.jpg

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-img_20150331_150755.jpg

Mischief with the guards at Prague castle - look at the stern countenance of the guard and the mischevious look on the BRAT's face - trying to concoct a devilish ploy to disturb the guard !!
The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-688.jpg

High winds make getting the perfect pose difficult

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-690.jpg

Finally got the family pose right - Hum Saath Saath Hai pose
The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-693.jpg

the FIL's look of pride pose - "I told you he is the best jamaai" pose
The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-img_20150331_151138.jpg

The Sasural gathering !
The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-img_20150331_151343.jpg

"The Vikram-Vetaal pose - bonded for life. destined to haunt & trouble each other"
The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-694.jpg

The Superb St. Vitus Cathedral in Prague Catsle
The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-714.jpg

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-prague-castle2.jpg

Finally a Diwali gun of my size
The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-720.jpg

Teaching the Novice Guards - How to March the right way

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-313.jpg

Practicing his soccer - head butting skills - Somehow i think the technique I taught him seems to be wrong !

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-img_20150331_152638.jpg

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-img_20150331_152641.jpg

The Golden Lane - a bit overhyped, but beautiful nonetheless !!

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-golden-lane.jpg

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-golden-lane1.jpg

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-golden-lane-3.jpg

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-prague-castle.jpg

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-prague-castle5.jpg

The view from Charles Bridge - a Night shot !! - Mystical & enigmatic - Almost expect Count Dracula to emerge from one of the spired towers !!

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-prague-castle3.jpg

Some random shots of the walk near Prague Castle
Attached Thumbnails
The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-img_20150331_145525.jpg  

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-img_20150331_145640.jpg  

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-img_20150331_145729.jpg  

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-img_20150331_150125.jpg  

mentalmaxout is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2016, 13:21   #73
BHPian

Prague - Day 3 - contd ..![/b]

Late afternoon, we visited the Letna Beer Park. Prague has several beer parks – the best ones are Letna & Riegrovy Sady. Beer Parks essentially are parks with free benches where on a hot summer day, lots of locals come & chit chat. It’s a culture unique to the city & highly recommended to experience.

The Letna Park in itself was huge & has very good views of the city to offer.

A vast beautiful park

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-740.jpg

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-741.jpg

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-743.jpg

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-744.jpg

After our brief “Gujarati styled picnic”, we walked all the way back to the Old town square & spent some time roaming its little alleys, before we moved to Charles Bridge (again ?) – (yes, it was our last day today)

The obsession with Ladies & Flowers

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-757.jpg

No - this is not what it seems !! - I am in fact stopping him from jumping over !!

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-761.jpg

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-763.jpg

Early morning and Late evenings it can be quite mystical & enchantingly lonely. In twilight, as the moonlight spreads its wings across Prague, this bridge becomes a photographer’s delight. Since visiting the bridge early morning was out of question due to medical reasons (quite unhealthy for our system to wake up early), we decided to experience it during that ‘magic hour’ when the sun is low in the sky just before it sets.

The Beautiful view at dusk

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-night-charles-1.jpg

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-night-charles-5.jpg

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-night-charles-6.jpg

The Lovely cobbled streets lend a unique charm

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-night-charles-9.jpg

Love the way the water turns a dark blue with the shimmering lights of the night

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-night-charles-10.jpg

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-night-charles-11.jpg

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-night-charles-14.jpg

With such a romantic set, How could I not fulfill a long lost wish - Proposing on The Charles Bridge

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-night-charles-12.jpg

The response I got was the same I received 14 years ago - "You are still an IDIOT !!

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-night-charles-13.jpg

Soaking in the romance & tomfoolery

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-night-charles-3.jpg

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-night-charles-4.jpg

The only thing missing was some Music playing in the background & maybe a few Cows dangling their bells a la DDLJ !!

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-night-charles-15.jpg

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-night-charles-16.jpg

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-night-charles-21.jpg

Was trying to strike a "looking into the distance visionary" pose - but the wife started giggling & photobombed in !! thereby ruining a perfect shot !!

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-night-charles-18.jpg

The Saala - saaheb quickly snuck in a "young brooding visionary pose" no doubt to impress the young giggly fairer sex at his alma mater

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-night-charles-19.jpg

Before his didi photo bombed and muttered - STOP making a fool of yourself !!

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-night-charles-20.jpg

Our last parting shot (promise) of the Charles Bridge !! A frameworthy click !! & a great feeling to tick an item off the Bucket list - YES I visited Prague !!

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-night-charles-22.jpg

With this, we head back to the Old Town square for some "jamvaanu" (food), Today we tried a "Pijja" at one of the many family run establishments around the Old Town Square

Attachment 1493176

And then we began the final slow motion walk towards our Hotel - knowing, this was truly a magnificent city- mystical, medieval yet modern, knowing that it will be part of a longing memory - knowing that it was time well spent - knowing the immense satisfaction of ticking an item off your bucket list -

Prague, You Beauty !!!

Off to catch the Night Train and onwards to Budapest !!

Last edited by GTO : 3rd April 2016 at 09:50. Reason: Rule #11 please
Old 2nd April 2016, 14:07   #74
BHPian

Prague Day 3 - the End !!

A few tips & tricks for visiting Prague

- Don't hire a car - Walk !! Use public transport when in Prague. The Road signs & small lanes are a deterrent for those who wish to do Prague by car

- Stay in Zone1 or 2 to be near the major sights & sounds. Zone 1 may be slightly expensive

- Make sure you fix the price if you decide to use tthe Taxi - it doesnt have a metered system. Or best use a radio taxi AAA Cabs

- The Tram 22 is a good way to get-to-know Prague - Goes around the city

- Unlike the Berlin Welcome Card - Prague doesnt have a multiple-day-pass system. A 24-hour pass is valuable, and has to be purchased daily from the local metro station, which can then be used in trams, Buses & Metros. NOTE -The 24 hour pass is available ONLY at the Metro station - So if you board a tram, thinking you will purchase a ticket, you may be in FOR a rude shock !!

- Currency rates fluctuate and includes commission, handling charges etc. Best way to know what rate you get is to ask "How much for 100 euros?"

- Currency exchange from unauthorised agents is a major tourist trap - You will encounter local touts sporting "official looking" uiforms asking if you want to exchange money. They will give you a great exchange rate, unfortunately the currency they will hand over will not be the czech Koruna - but Belarussian notes - pretty useless !. A lot of Indians have fallen prey to this

- try family run restaurants in Prague - Most speak English, and offer a personal experience.

- When in Old Town square, do not eat at the Main square, but go deep within the alleys away from the Main Square - Prices for food are cheaper & the taste is much more richer

- The 2 Beer Gardens - Letna & Riegrovy Sady are highly recommended to be visited in Summer - Mix with the locals & soak in the atmosphere. Sadly the menu isn’t too diverse, but the amazing view more than makes up for it

- A river cruise at Dusk & visiting Charles bridge at dusk is a MUST-DO !!

Some parting shots of Prague

The Magnificent Vlatava River

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-764.jpg

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-765.jpg

The roads, cobbled streets lend a unique charm to this quaint city

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-768.jpg

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-d2-177.jpg

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-d2-183.jpg

The beautiful building architecture lends an old-world charm to modern day Prague

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-770.jpg

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-769.jpg

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-771.jpg

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-772.jpg

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-773.jpg

The Astronomical Clock Tower - Timed through centuries

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-777.jpg

The little by-lanes near Old Town Square

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-781.jpg

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-783.jpg

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-786.jpg

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-787.jpg

Check out the street Lamps - Pretty quaint & cool !

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-788.jpg

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-790.jpg

The Buildings too - have awesome paintings & murals - When in Prague - look upwards & downwards !!

The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe-d2-168.jpg

Truly, the streets of Prague were indeed a fantasia, scarcely touched by the twenty-first century—or the twentieth or nineteenth, for that matter. It was a city of alchemists and dreamers, its medieval cobbles once trod by goblins, golems, mystics, invading armies. Tall houses glowed goldenrod and carmine and eggshell blue, embellished with murals & plasterwork and capped in roofs of uniform red. The cupolas of antique copper, and Gothic steeples stood ready to impale fallen angels.

It seemed to us that the wind itself, carried the memory of magic, revolution, violins, and the cobbled lanes meandered like creeks. Thugs wore Motzart wigs and pushed chamber music on street corners, and marionettes hung in windows, making the whole city seem like a theater with unseen puppeteers crouched behind velvet.

Wah Prague !! - Like Tom Cruise had beckoned - "Kuchh din toh guzaaro Prague mein !!" & I am glad I accepted his invitation !!

Onwards to our next Destination .. the Hungarian capital of "Booda-Pesht"

Keep reading !

Last edited by noopster : 2nd April 2016 at 20:42. Reason: Removed references to alcohol- please read Rule#11
Old 3rd April 2016, 09:25   #75
BHPian

@mentalmaxout - This is a very detailed and interesting narration of your europe trip! I enjoyed reading the witty narration along with several bits of historical information. Thanks for taking time to create one beautiful writing.
This actually brought me back some memories of my recent business trip to Germany - a small one though to a little City named Stuttgart - situated roughly 200 km from Frankfurt.
So I could relate to some of the points you mentioned in the first part of your travelogue to Berlin - such as the different train connections - S-Bahn, U-Bahn, and the name Hauptbahnhof.
We used to take the U-Bahn to office, which was the most convenient. The interesting thing about this is that, it covers most of the city, and most of the time it passes the streets, along with other vehicles, offering beautiful views. S-Bahn on the other hand is like our typical metro - running either above ground or underground. Facilities wise both are very similar, in some cases S-Bahn offers free wi-fi on board.

Just south of Stuttgart there is a town called Esslingen (also in Germany) - which is also from the Medieval age, with several buildings built about eight centuries ago! We were very fortunate to have a colleague of ours who took us to this place and played the role of a tour guide, giving a lot of historic information, and made the short trip to this town a very interesting one.
Sure enough, the streets of this small town Esslingen are cobbled, and paved neatly, with spectacular views. River Nectar passes this town and buildings are built on either side. There are some true "river-side" restaurants which are actually built just above the passing river, offering awesome views. We could even see a small hydro-electric power plant on this river - created in those ages, running just fine, and producing electricity to this date! CCDs and McDs with this kind of background actually offer a very chic look! The European cities are similar in most ways, and this Esslingen town I could relate to your travelogue on Prague.

Thanks for bringing me up this memories, and if I go again to some place in Europe, I will get you some chocolates!
hybridpetrol is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote