Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 29th March 2016, 14:56   #31
BHPian

Default Re: In a Mahindra Bolero to the Land of Happiness - Bhutan!

I envy you and few other who has such a amazing go anywhere vehicle and drive all the way around. Brilliant travelogue as usual
Uprasenjit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 17:23   #32
BHPian

Thanks Uprasenjit,

Most of the roads in Bhutan is very smooth. I believe your ES can easily go there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uprasenjit View Post
I envy you and few other who has such a amazing go anywhere vehicle and drive all the way around. Brilliant travelogue as usual
PointZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 22:33   #33
BHPian

Thanks for the compliment Gmhossain.

I had used Windows Here-Map at that time but it did not worked in Bhutan. Don't know the exact reason.

I never do any prior hotel booking as I do change my plan depending on the situations and also I like to book a hotel only after seeing the exact location.

Bolero has a 60L fuel tank and I have a 20L diesel jerrycan which is sufficient to cover a distance of 800-900KM. I had no need of refueling my vehicle in the rural area but diesel pump was available in Jakar (other than Thimpu & Paro). All the fuel pumps accept Indian currency but most of them do not accept cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
It's simply a breathtaking travelogue PointZero! Hats off to all of you for completing an epic adventure of this magnitude . I was in awe simply to read about those lonely places that you have visited without any prior hotel booking. The pictures too are equally stunning.

I am quite curious to know whether you had used any GPS navigation device during your drive in Bhutan? Also, how frequently did you refuel your vehicle in Bhutan given you had often ventured into less visited territory?

Best wishes,
PointZero is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2016, 23:13   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolvenk View Post
Amazing travelogue. Enjoyed it very much and will hopefully come back to it.

From the pictures, it seemed that the roads in Bhutan are quite good. But is an SUV such as a Bolero necessary for this trip? That is, could this trip have been done with a car such as the Civic with somewhat low ground clearance? If not, what percentage of the trip do you think could have been done with a normal SUV? Thanks again!
Sir, for your info, the roads from Phuntsholing (the town bordering Jaigoan in West Bengal) to the Districts of Thimphu (the capital), Paro (where Birds nest Monastery/Taktshang in there) and Haa (the western most district) have good paved road. We can easily use low ground clearance cars in these road. We have even a Porsche Boxster do this stretch.
From Thimphu to the relatively eastern districts like Punakha and Wangdi, the roads were ok but narrow. These days heavy widening is going on. The completion is scheduled by the end of this year. Although many use low GC cars here, it can be bit tricky sometimes. I would not recommend you to use your Civic here because in case of some damage, we have very poor support in terms of emergency vehicle repair facilities. From Punakha to other Districts towards East, I would highly recommend the use of SUVs as the widening work is still under progress and the road condition is quite bad. I hope this helps.

PS: @PointZero, sir, your photography skills are awesome!

Cheers.
Nagato710 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote