Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 5th April 2016, 11:21   #1
BHPian

Default Driven: Hyderabad to Goa

"Hyderabad to Goa, Route." This is exactly what I searched for when we drove to Goa recently. Went through few updates and all of them had mixed opinion. Probably the experience below and time taken to travel, helps fellow BHPans to decide on the right route.

It’s not very often that I have heard people say “Goa is all about getting a chance to drive across Western Ghats”. I did experience it earlier with my K10 but this time it was the Punto. I have mentioned often that except the day you go to sell off a FIAT rest of the experience will make you smile. That is the reason why one who buys FIAT seldom sells it off soon. Ok I am done complementing FIAT, let’s get down to the journey and experience.Before we begin I would like to share the Before and After images of the rear suspension pre and post luggage+colleagues , please don't feel bad about the Punto. It was a charm driving at the ghats with the lowered rear. Handling became even better.
Driven: Hyderabad to Goa-suspension-.jpg

March is not the ideal time to visit Goa, however my friends back at office wanted peace and beach. The idea was simple God had already implemented the concept of land and sea breeze, all we had to do was the timing. Early morning till 8am and late evenings from 8pm was the ideal “relax window” we aimed for. The week was very hectic and we spent discussing the places we wanted to cover in one day at Goa. Friday 1st we started for Goa. Rendezvous point was decided for ORR at 8pm.
Sharing few pictures of first few hours.

Driven: Hyderabad to Goa-power-grid.jpg
Driven: Hyderabad to Goa-raichur-.jpg

Since the Punto was the only car that would be going this time and I would be the only one driving, had gone through route options, however I was bit skeptical on the final route from Hyderabad to Raichur. I got mixed opinions about the 3 routes available.
Gandiguda to Raichur took us 4 hours, which included a dinner break. Road conditions are excellent and as usual lane discipline is good and maintained by the truckers.

Driven: Hyderabad to Goa-resturant_dinner-1.jpg
Driven: Hyderabad to Goa-resturant_dinner-2.jpg

Honorable mention, Redbull, Not sure if it gave me wings but sure did give Punto enough happiness.
Driven: Hyderabad to Goa-redbull-.jpg

Colleagues were dozing off one by one after dinner. Punto and I were the only guys available to discuss the road condition and talk to each other. After taking the diversion at Beethupalli I had to leave NH7, do note Google map asks you to take a diversion much earlier onto 167 towards Mahbubnagar but I would suggest taking a right only after crossing Beethupalli. As the old saying goes try to stay on NHX at any point of travel. The route via Mahbubnagar was showing less of NH7 and more of 167 route and time displayed was 3H20M, while the route via Beethupalli was more of NH7 and no route 167 and time indicated was 3H30M. It was easy to derive the fact that the route via Beethupalli would give me better road although the distance was roughly 30kms more. I wanted to share the details with my colleagues but the moment I lowered the volume of the media player I could hear them snoring in a perfect rhythm. Punto said lets go for it and I headed on.

Route so far.
ORR>Gandiguda>Beethupalli>Raichur, Distance travelled so far 250kms, Time taken 4.5 hours.

Driven: Hyderabad to Goa-gandigudaraichur.jpg

Total breaks so far was an extra-long dinner break and 3 short 5 min breaks.
Moving on the route from Raichur to Belgavi, Google maps proposed 3 routes. I was aware of the fact that if I took the wrong route here it would take huge effort to rectify the time loss. So searched for Gangavati, we would be travelling a good 100kms extra but the road condition made up for the extra time taken. Raichur to Gangavati took 2 hours. From Gangavati to Belgavi the road was straight forward 268 kms in 4 hours.

Driven: Hyderabad to Goa-raichurgangavati.jpg
Driven: Hyderabad to Goa-gangavatibelgavi-.jpg

After all the permutations and real-time research of the best route, waking up and asking locals came the long waited Western Ghats. The place where the Punto was made and bought for. It was morning and the traffic increased slowly at the Ghats, average speed was 45 kmph, distance was about 100 kms on the Ghats.
Welcome by the Ghats at sunrise.
Driven: Hyderabad to Goa-western-ghat.jpg

We stopped at few places to catch a glimpse of the beauty.
Driven: Hyderabad to Goa-ghats-.jpg
Driven: Hyderabad to Goa-ghats.jpg
Driven: Hyderabad to Goa-entering-wg-.jpg

Finally a video of the excellent tarmac at the ghats.

Finally reached Panjim and then Mapusa around 10am. Booked a hotel and then I hibernated while the rest concentrated on “why people come to Goa”.

Temple on the way before entering Mapusa.
Driven: Hyderabad to Goa-temple-enroute-.jpg

The road condition for the entire journey was excellent and that’s exactly what I wanted. Total time taken was 13 hours including numerous breaks which I lost count of towards the end.
ORR>Raichur>Gangavati>Belgavi>Panjim
Distance:750kms
Time : 14 H
Driven: Hyderabad to Goa-hybdpanjim.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 6th April 2016 at 10:30. Reason: rondevu = rendezvous :)
ARAY is offline   (17) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2016, 12:03   #2
BHPian

Default re: Driven: Hyderabad to Goa

Woke up later in the evening and headed for Panjim. The beach is lot more crowded and there is no concept of OFF-SEASON in Goa. The places were heavily filled, adjoining restaurants were like my office parking after 11am. Went back to the hotel at 11pm. It was decided to cover less populated beaches of Goa next morning.
The sunset at Arabian Sea was always an awesome view.
Driven: Hyderabad to Goa-panjim-.jpg
Driven: Hyderabad to Goa-panjim-sun-set-.jpg
Driven: Hyderabad to Goa-panjim-sunset-2-.jpg
Driven: Hyderabad to Goa-sunset-2-.jpg

The local Goan well maintained roads and the Handsome Punto.
Driven: Hyderabad to Goa-goa-roads-.jpg

The idea was simple, I suggested to wake up early and head for North Goa take a bathe and have breakfast at Morjim as thatís the best and least populated. The backwater feeding beach had very clear water and least polluted. After breakfast we went for boat ride, the sun did not help either after 9am but the beach was relatively cooler.
Driven: Hyderabad to Goa-morjim-.jpg
Driven: Hyderabad to Goa-morjim-frame-.jpg
Driven: Hyderabad to Goa-morjim-2-.jpg

The backwaters.
Driven: Hyderabad to Goa-morjim-back-water-.jpg

From Morjim we headed for Vagator.
Driven: Hyderabad to Goa-vagator-.jpg
Driven: Hyderabad to Goa-vagator-2-.jpg
Driven: Hyderabad to Goa-vagator-4-.jpg

Coral/Shells/Rock
Driven: Hyderabad to Goa-rock-.jpg

Driven: Hyderabad to Goa-vagator-top-.jpg
Driven: Hyderabad to Goa-vagator-top-2.jpg
Driven: Hyderabad to Goa-vagator-3-.jpg

The customary parking in front of the Ocean.
Driven: Hyderabad to Goa-vagator-punto-.jpg

Folks wanted to visit St Francis Xavierís Church at old Goa and we were ever ready to try crab at the restaurants nearby. The crab took longer than expected to finish but boy it was wonderful.
The beautiful road to Old Goa.
Driven: Hyderabad to Goa-aguada-xavier-.jpg

St Francis Xavier's Church, First timers please do mark the name as there are other wonderful churches by the name St Francis and St Xavier's. If google map is guiding you search for Old Goa.
Driven: Hyderabad to Goa-xavier-4.jpg
Driven: Hyderabad to Goa-xavier-3.jpg
Driven: Hyderabad to Goa-xavier-2.jpg
Driven: Hyderabad to Goa-xavier-1.jpg
Driven: Hyderabad to Goa-xavier-side-.jpg

I suggested going for Fort Aguada. It was 5pm already Google maps said 20kms and went on to suggest we would not be able to make it. We tried and reached the parking in time (5:37pm) but the guards at the fort are very punctual and we never made it inside. Every one made peace with the fact that it was just a dayís trip at Goa and Aguada was not properly planned. Also itís not the crabs fault! As someone suggested.
Driven: Hyderabad to Goa-fort-.jpg

A few more pictures of Goa city and how nicely its maintained.
Driven: Hyderabad to Goa-img_0477.jpg
Driven: Hyderabad to Goa-img_0497.jpg
Driven: Hyderabad to Goa-img_0544.jpg

We returned to the hotel freshened up and headed back for Hyderabad. Started at around 10pm but this time something different happened on the Ghats, the average speed went to 52kmph for Mapusa to Belgavi. Itís a lot more easy driving at night at the Ghats. I took the same route while returning but the number of breaks reduces to 4 of 3-5 mins which made me head back to Hyderabad by 10:30am.
Total time taken 12h30M for returning.

Driven: Hyderabad to Goa-return-2.jpg

Thanks for going through the travel experience !
PS: All the pictures have been taken with an iPhone 6s and I regret not carrying my 70D this time
ARAY is offline   (18) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2016, 17:40   #3
BHPian

Default re: Driven: Hyderabad to Goa

Nice trip report with some really beautiful pics.

This travelogue made me nostalgic about our Goa trip which we did together in my humble Alto back in 2010. Miss those Bangalore days when we had the freedom to drive to Goa/Kerala on week ends without even thinking a bit! With less commitments, life was much more simpler and easier back then! Our Goa trip was special to me as it was my first trip after buying my Dslr ! So how can i miss the opportunity to share few pics here in Team Bhp from our 2010 Goa trip!

Driven: Hyderabad to Goa-img_2930.jpg

Driven: Hyderabad to Goa-img_2986.jpg

Driven: Hyderabad to Goa-img_3000.jpg

Driven: Hyderabad to Goa-img_3018.jpg

Driven: Hyderabad to Goa-img_3062.jpg

Driven: Hyderabad to Goa-img_3109.jpg

Driven: Hyderabad to Goa-img_3050.jpg

Last edited by Samba : 5th April 2016 at 17:57.
Samba is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2016, 12:32   #4
BHPian

Default Re: Driven: Hyderabad to Goa

A very nice travelogue indeed and beautiful images as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARAY View Post

Are you sure this place was near Mapusa? Pls check once again if possible. It appears to be the Sangolli Rayanna Circle in Belagavi.

By the way, nice to see the Punto going great guns in performance.

Last edited by King_pin09 : 6th April 2016 at 12:34.
King_pin09 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2016, 12:49   #5
Team-BHP Support

Nice trip and thanks for sharing the route updates.

Where did you stay and tariff information would help not just me but, other members as well
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2016, 13:18   #6
BHPian

Hey Brother, nice travelogue. Do visit South Goa when you come next time. Beaches down south are far more serene than Northern beaches. But at same time you can not beat the charm of North Goa.

Quote:
Attachment 1494156

[/b]
That definitely is Maruti Temple at RTO Circle, Belgaum (My parents lived nearby for few years).
Ertigiat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2016, 14:22   #7
BHPian

Nice travelogue! It is commendable 12 hours of continued drive. Nice photographs too. Had been to Goa during by college days, now its tempting to make a visit again. Can you please share the stay details.
LoneRidder is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2016, 12:13   #8
BHPian

Mate,

That's another awesome self driven trip! You're just a motivation for road trips.
Seriously, RedBull gives you wings!

Drive safe,
Surja
surjaonwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2016, 13:10   #9
BHPian

Great travelogue, short and crisp just like the journey. While going through your travelogue, I somehow got the feeling that it was purely to enjoy the drive to Goa and back on that wonderful car of yours.
pduttaghy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2016, 19:45   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1494156
That temple looks very familiar to me. Ain't that the famous RTO circle Ganesh temple in Belgaum?
Pferdestarke is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2016, 08:26   #11
Team-BHP Support

Nice travelogue with some beautiful pictures.

Morjim is one of the best beaches to visit if you want some peace and quiet compared to the noise and clutter of the Baga - Calangute stretch. You've got some really nice pictures of the Basilica of Bom Jesus.

Lots of other images in that bring back some fond memories - including Mahalaxmi restaurant . It's been there for ages.
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2016, 20:30   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
That temple looks very familiar to me. Ain't that the famous RTO circle Ganesh temple in Belgaum?
Probably you are right, yes it was on the way and I found many devotees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Nice trip and thanks for sharing the route updates.

Where did you stay and tariff information would help not just me but, other members as well
We stayed at friend's Guest house at Mapusa . Since it was off season and due to the fact he was a close friend we were put up at 1600 per night.

And sorry for the delay in responding, went to Mahabaleshwar the next week, experience coming up soon.

Last edited by ARAY : 15th April 2016 at 20:31.
ARAY is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2016, 15:24   #13

Array - a quick question on the route you took. I notice you went from Hubli-Dharwad to Belgaum (Belagavi) and then turned off NH4 towards the ghats.

Did you consider turning off NH4 at Dharwad and going via Londa-Mollem-Ponda? If yes, why did you select the other route.

Planning to drive from Bangalore to Goa and then back to Bombay, and I am trying to decide which route to take. I know the final destination in Goa is a factor but any insights on both routes would be useful.

Thanks
knganapathy is offline   Reply With Quote