Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 27th April 2016, 21:42   #31
BHPian

Default Re: White Sikkim in a Duster AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
I agree with you, but let me tell you that you are going to be the subject of a lot of behind closed doors discussions, mostly critical! Be prepared!

Anyway, welcome to our forum.

Regards
Sutripta
Hello sir,
Thank you for the welcome. Looking forward for a wonderful experience on the forum.
I am sorry if I put forward my point too bluntly on the forum and perhaps like you mentioned be a subject of closed door discussion. But honestly that wasn't my intention. But I am glad you also do agree to it. I had come across many a posts here in tbhp about Sikkim being a 4wd territory, and am in a thought that - that may deter many a people from venturing out here in capable non 4wd vehicles.
Hence perhaps I did put it so bluntly. Anyways constructive criticisms are always healthy - perhaps not behind closed doors though. (Food for thought). Cheers.
Dr_MNC_SK is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2016, 12:23   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_MNC_SK View Post
Thank you for the appreciation. I did go through the post and I am sorry I beg to differ. That there is no trail mentioned there about Sikkim that requires a 4WD for the trail. I am not talking of being able to engage 4 WD at occasion for a landslide or for better traction but for the trail as such. Darjeeling in fact does have the Sangdakpu trail where 4 WD is a necessity. All major Roads to North Sikkim to Gurudongmar via Lachen on one side to Yumthang Zero Via Lachung to the other to the Silk Route Zuluk Kupup Tshangu Nathula to the mentioned Zoom Kaluk Hilley Hillary Park to the Phadamchen one are absolutely doable on a 4x2 with adequate clearance and good tyres. For all the travel heads planning to visit Sikkim, a 4 WD is not an neccessity but adequate ground clearance is. So Skoda Yeti probably may not make it but a Xylo will.

Yes having a 4WD is always desirable in case you get stuck up or want to do a bit of offroading off the roads or want to travel faster with the high gear. If you want to do real snow travel i guess its the tyres or tyre preparation which will be more important than an all wheel drive, though yes an awd scores better than a fwd or a rwd with similiar tyres. But be assured that when the snow is deep enough for 4x2 to not tread the government/ army here closes the road. this is because all (say 99 %) taxis that ply are 4x2s (Xylos, Boleros, Scorpios) and thats the majority of the traffic going there.
I agree with you Mohonish. How can I not ? I have taken my humble Honda Brio to Sikkim (Low GC + 2WD) & enjoyed the trip a lot. I face major issue with GC in Bengal rather than Sikkim. All of Sikkim tourist circuit can definitely be in a High GC car. The places you need 4WD will be the off-beaten paths. There are some very remote places where sometimes one would want to go where 4WD would be required. They may not be very famous locations. Also, you always have multiple routes to different locations in Sikkim. One might choose as per their vehicle. The other factor is the weather. Taking this very trip as an example, If it is heavy snow in N/E Sikkim, 2WD have a problem. But in that case as well, as explained by you, the authorities close the roads.

Quote:
Hi,
I agree with you, but let me tell you that you are going to be the subject of a lot of behind closed doors discussions, mostly critical! Be prepared!

Anyway, welcome to our forum.

Regards
Sutripta
Nothing like that sir.

Quote:
Hello sir,
Thank you for the welcome. Looking forward for a wonderful experience on the forum.
I am sorry if I put forward my point too bluntly on the forum and perhaps like you mentioned be a subject of closed door discussion. But honestly that wasn't my intention. But I am glad you also do agree to it. I had come across many a posts here in tbhp about Sikkim being a 4wd territory, and am in a thought that - that may deter many a people from venturing out here in capable non 4wd vehicles.
Hence perhaps I did put it so bluntly. Anyways constructive criticisms are always healthy - perhaps not behind closed doors though. (Food for thought). Cheers.
Not an issue doctor. You know Sikkim better than us. And as said, I have myself written a travelogue on Sikkim trip on my Brio. Fellow bhpians like gearhead_mait, mi2n, Samba have all done these routes in sedans & hatches & have lovely travelogues too.

Regards,

Pawan

Last edited by PapaBravo : 28th April 2016 at 12:26.
PapaBravo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2016, 22:54   #33
BANNED

A very crisp travelogue & also very beautiful pictures taken. Just enjoyed reading every bit of it. Now I would have to plan a trip to Sikkim after going through this.
What would be the best time to visit this place? I would love to drive down from south to visit this place.
vdm295 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2016, 20:00   #34
BHPian

Hi Pawan,

I am awestruck by the pictures of snow covered mountains! Last year during my road trip to Ladakh I didnot get so much snow as you did in Sikkim. Trust me, through your lens Sikkim looks better than Ladakh. I am inspired. Rated 5 stars

Next time if you plan to drive to Sikkim again please do inform me in advance.

Regards,
Arunasish
lovecars21 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2016, 21:05   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello sir,
You have been absolutely right about Sikkim being a high GC vehicle territory and not necessarily a 4WD one. I have been to Sikkim innumerable times in my old gen Baleno and have not faced any issue in the regular tourist circuits, yes I have had to request the passengers to get down in several situations. However, it is the off-beat trails that might need 4WDs.
We here in tbhp all love Sikkim more than you can imagine. So let me assure you that nothing is going to deter us from going to Sikkim in non 4WD vehicles
Hope to meet you next time we are in Sikkim.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 30th April 2016 at 21:06.
BlackPearl is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2016, 22:01   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely and very-well-written travelogue, PB. Didn't get to read this until now, due to all the travelling we had been doing ourselves. As to the tech support, I'm afraid I'd not been of much help - but I hope you managed to solve the mystery!

Rated 5 stars just for the super pics - especially your parasailing selfies.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2016, 08:54   #37
BHPian

Wow! you and your Duster both seem to be rocking of late! Your pictures of snow-clad mountain are simply breath-taking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
This one is for bhpian mi2n. See I am not wearing a shirt & Jeans in this one.

Would you believe me if I say that while glancing through the pictures of your travelogue, this particular picture had immediately reminded me the special comments by mi2n on your attire? Of course, later while reading, I found out that you have indeed ``dedicated'' this picture to mi2n

Pawan, it was a fun reading your travelogue! Please keep Dusting, clicking and typing your next adventure!

Cheers,
Golam
gmhossain is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2016, 09:01   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdm295 View Post
A very crisp travelogue & also very beautiful pictures taken. Just enjoyed reading every bit of it. Now I would have to plan a trip to Sikkim after going through this.
What would be the best time to visit this place? I would love to drive down from south to visit this place.
Thanks vdm295. The best time would depend on what exactly are you looking for & which part are you visiting. Any time is good except the monsoons (as with most of the hilly regions) when you can encounter some landslides. North & East Sikkim would be difficult post November till Feb, since there is a lot of snow. West/South Sikkim can be visited any time of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecars21 View Post
Hi Pawan,

I am awestruck by the pictures of snow covered mountains! Last year during my road trip to Ladakh I didnot get so much snow as you did in Sikkim. Trust me, through your lens Sikkim looks better than Ladakh. I am inspired. Rated 5 stars

Next time if you plan to drive to Sikkim again please do inform me in advance.

Regards,
Arunasish
Thanks a lot Arun. I was surprised to see so much snow myself. Hope I get a repeat telecast in Ladakh this year. Will definitely let you know when we plan Sikkim next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Lovely and very-well-written travelogue, PB. Didn't get to read this until now, due to all the travelling we had been doing ourselves. As to the tech support, I'm afraid I'd not been of much help - but I hope you managed to solve the mystery!

Rated 5 stars just for the super pics - especially your parasailing selfies.
Thank you Shamindra Da. Your pointers were indeed helpful in understanding the problem & looking for possible solutions. The fact that we have you & some bhpians on call to help at any time makes our travel a lot stress free. Parasailing Selfies are actually screenshots from the video that we shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
Wow! you and your Duster both seem to be rocking of late! Your pictures of snow-clad mountain are simply breath-taking!

Pawan, it was a fun reading your travelogue! Please keep Dusting, clicking and typing your next adventure!
Thank you Hossain Saab. Duster is indeed taking me places which were a problem in the earlier cars.

Quote:
Would you believe me if I say that while glancing through the pictures of your travelogue, this particular picture had immediately reminded me the special comments by mi2n on your attire? Of course, later while reading, I found out that you have indeed ``dedicated'' this picture to mi2n
Cheers,
Golam
I especially clicked & included this picture for mi2n. Travelling throughout the night in my usual attire was not possible for sure.

Regards,

Pawan
Old 2nd May 2016, 20:43   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
As to the tech support, I'm afraid I'd not been of much help - but I hope you managed to solve the mystery!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
Thank you Shamindra Da. Your pointers were indeed helpful in understanding the problem & looking for possible solutions. The fact that we have you & some bhpians on call to help at any time makes our travel a lot stress free.
Crowdsourcing?

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2016, 22:30   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Crowdsourcing?

Regards
Sutripta
Yes sir. Shamindra Da is the first point of contact for me in any car situation. I had called him from the hills when the problem arose. I asked for your advise when I was back home. Shamindra da was as it is enjoying his holiday at that time.

Regards

Pawan
Old 23rd May 2016, 00:38   #41
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: White Sikkim in a Duster AWD

Brilliant pictures and a great travelogue Pawan! Rated a well deserved 5 stars!
The pictures of the Hulk amidst all that snow is amazing. It's nice to see the Duster get past the snow where the tourist vehicles fell back - 4WD put to good use, and great driving
GhostRider28 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2016, 13:44   #42
BHPian

Processed some dashcam videos & uploaded them on Youtube.

Uncleared Snow en route Nathula

Roads en route Nathula

Over-smart taxi Driver trying to break the line & getting stuck.

Regards,

Pawan
Old 30th May 2016, 17:54   #43
BHPian

Pawan da this is one heck of a travelogue supported by some captivating photos. Rated a well deserved 5 star!Sikkim was always on my cards and would like to explore it after I get my license!
IndiaSierra is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote