Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2016, 13:28   #16
BHPian

Re: A drive to the 'Paradise on Earth' : 5226 km grand road-trip from Kolkata to Kashmir

Absolutely mesmerizing pictures !! You have captured the beauty of Kashmir so nicely. Enjoyed your travelogue thoroughly. This was quite a trip.
Sad to know about the agent situation in Gulmarg and Sonamarg, as well as the unrest in parts of Kashmir. Hope things change for the better.
mustang_shelby is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 13:44   #17
BHPian

Re: A drive to the 'Paradise on Earth' : 5226 km grand road-trip from Kolkata to Kashmir

I would have balked at the prospect of driving my Grand i10 all the way to Kashmir. Your travalogue in an Eon is an inspiration for me to do a smilar trip in near future. Thank you.
rselva is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 14:01   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely travelogue gearhead_mait
The pictures are an absolute treat to the eyes.
This brought back memories of my 2012 trip to J&K. I feel like visiting J&K again.

I can imagine your situation in Baramulla and it would've been scary to say the least.
We were in Srinagar on Independence day and we had similar fear in our hearts but no detours or any adventures.
But in the end, the nature and its vistas rub away all those fears.

Glad you finished your trip without much of problems. especially the return leg.
22 hours of driving is really tough on the mind more than the body.

Couple of questions:
1. Were you the only driver? (Expecting an answer in negative)
2. Which camera have you used?

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 9th May 2016 at 14:05.
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 14:06   #19
BHPian

Excellent travelogue.. Crisp narration and lovely pictures. Your experiences with the bandh and curfew were close. Hats off to your wife as well for supporting you through out your journey.
alfaromeo1984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 14:19   #20
BHPian

Excellent trip! Brilliant photographs! Extremely detailed travelogue! Gearhead_malt, wish to see more such travelogues from you. Curious to know how the car handled the entire stretch.
XetaGLGRocks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 14:23   #21
BHPian

Outstanding travelogue gearhead_mait. It was such a pleasure reading every word of your experience. Wonderful photographs too. Even though we stay in close proximity, I haven't got the chance to meet you personally. Lets catch up some day. I would like to hear more about your experiences.

Cheers.
Red Panda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 14:40   #22
BHPian

That was a very nice read! Thanks for taking the time out to post all the photos in order and you write well too.

By the way, your selfies etc do not reveal any hint of tiredness in spite of your extensive driving. You obviously enjoyed the trip. Look forward to reading of more trips in the future.
prabuddhadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 14:41   #23
BHPian

Amazingly detailed and equally good photographs Every time I read a travelogue of J&K, I dream about this. Let's hope the day will come soon!
bhp_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 14:46   #24
Senior - BHPian

Re: Route and map details of the journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_mait View Post

Thanks for reading!
Excellent travelogue and equally beautiful pictures. Great that you could complete your journey safely inspite of the tension in and around Baramullah.
Enjoyed reading through the whole TL at one go and thanks for all the information.

I think you missed thanking your "Sher Dil" at the end. He deserves one for carrying you both safely home.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 17:54   #25
BHPian

Your entire drive is very courageous and deeply admirable for that. But I am really interested in your last day of 22 hours drive, of which, you spent 20 hours actually behind the wheel. Were you the only one driving? Or did your better half chip in every once in a while?

I am also curious to know why did you chose not to take the Mughal Road.

Amazing pictures too.
itinerant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 19:19   #26
BHPian

Amazing pictures and great narration. You and your wife have got wheels instead of legs. I just love your travelogues

If you have the right spirit then you do not need a big fat SUV to travel far and wide
catchjyoti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 19:58   #27
BHPian

Excellent and very detailed snaps, enable a vicarious journey through J&K. I have stayed in Delhi for a large portion of my life but could never plan such trips. You have surely given me some inspiration. Thanks
BTW, how did Eon behave on the hillies and twisties, overall?
Utopian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 20:04   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Stunning! Absolutely stunning!

Magnificent pictures with awesome detailed narration. Rated 5*

I know a person who hire Sumo/Scorpio for going to Digha/Mandermani from Kolkata resting his Alto in the garrage as he think bigger cars are more safe on highways! I will forward him this travelogue!

This pic you took in 2016
A drive to the 'Paradise on Earth' : 5226 km grand road-trip from Kolkata to Kashmir-img_6333.jpg

This was clicked by me in 2014
A drive to the 'Paradise on Earth' : 5226 km grand road-trip from Kolkata to Kashmir-img_3829.jpg

Same person?

Last edited by Samba : 9th May 2016 at 20:25.
Samba is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 20:09   #29
Team-BHP Support

Superb will be an understatement for the travelogue, rated 5 stars. I have always loved your travelogues and was waiting for this one. In fact just after I posted yesterday in one of the threads that I was waiting for your Kashmir travelogue, I refreshed the new posts and found this one. Took me quite a bit of time time to go through the log, specially to grasp the pictures.
As somebody has mentioned, you don't need an SUV to enjoy. You are an inspiration to other hatchback owners. Wish you travel a lot more and put up such awesome logs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
This pic you took in 2016
Attachment 1505516

This was clicked by me in 2014
Attachment 1505517

Same person?
Looks to be the same person.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 9th May 2016 at 20:14.
BlackPearl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 21:33   #30
BANNED

Just loved reading through the travelogue. The tense moments from your return trip from Gulmarg was just horrifying. Just could not imagine hearing gun shots & burning of the car in a place unknown to you. Lovely pictures of the beautiful valley just made my day. The last leg of drive must have been very tiring but as you rightly said there is always some surprises. Thanks for sharing your beautiful experiences.
Cheers
vdm295

Last edited by vdm295 : 9th May 2016 at 22:01.
vdm295 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks