Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2016, 09:11   #16
BHPian
 
devansn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Covai/Kottayam
Posts: 196
Thanked: 108 Times
Default Re: A HOT summer drive with a Padmini & Ertiga!

Wow! Nostalgia! We have been through this route once in a Palio 1.2 Sport, in winter. What a joy it was! The route as well as the car! Nothing can beat the beauty of south Karnataka! To the extent that at one point in time, I had even seriously considered buying some land there and settling... The experience with the Palio (friend's) made me buy a Punto later and after about six years of owning it, I still love each and every drive in it.

I think Punto has the potential to become a rare and classic car just in a few more years, due to the sales that Fiat manages.

Last edited by devansn : 6th May 2016 at 09:13.
devansn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2016, 11:40   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
schakravarthy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: KA 09 / KA 02
Posts: 1,361
Thanked: 3,969 Times
Default Re: A HOT summer drive with a Padmini & Ertiga!

Super one, Arun and Karthik!
Topping up the radiator, disappearing on twisties all reminded me of my childhood days.. riding shotgun with my Papa. It's been a long dream ever since- get a Fiat, get it in tip top shape and set off on a destination-less drive and relive the memories of a beautiful car.
Sigh! One of these days for sure!

A HOT summer drive with a Padmini & Ertiga!-picsart_050611.44.42.jpg

Last edited by schakravarthy : 6th May 2016 at 11:46.
schakravarthy is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2016, 12:04   #18
Distinguished - BHPian
 
arun_josie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,333
Thanked: 4,224 Times
Default Re: A HOT summer drive with a Padmini & Ertiga!

Superb travelogue!! I learned driving in a padmini and this travelogue just took me to those days when I used to enjoy the padmini. And those Column-mounted gearshifts always gives a nice feeling.

And you need some real guts to take it on a 1000 Kms drive with the mercury soaring high. Hats Off! It also shows the confidence that you have on this machine.
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2016, 14:08   #19
BHPian
 
raghuram.cg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 171
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: A HOT summer drive with a Padmini & Ertiga!

Great Write Up - the car is in top nick and nice to see you guys enjoyed it to the hilt!!
raghuram.cg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2016, 17:29   #20
BHPian
 
Grace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 315
Thanked: 159 Times
Default Re: A HOT summer drive with a Padmini & Ertiga!

Congrats.. You have a great car there. Lovely to see it. Do you have any videos you shot from the other car of your Padmini, please do post up. The hum of the Padmini engine is truly remarkable
Grace is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2016, 02:09   #21
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Udupi
Posts: 6
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: A HOT summer drive with a Padmini & Ertiga!

Fantastic travelogue! Loved the pics of your Fiat which looks to be in good nick. She is ageing gracefully.

It brought back some sweet memories of my Fiat Premier Padmini from 1998. Quite a unique one, she was. The gear setup was modified to be a floor gear as opposed to the hand shift gear stick. Sadly had to let her go when I moved overseas on work.

Wishing you many more happy journeys in your classic.
hondaford is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2016, 10:22   #22
BHPian
 
ARAY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: WB 38
Posts: 199
Thanked: 870 Times
Default Re: A HOT summer drive with a Padmini & Ertiga!

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Bangalore – Hassan – Shiradi – Mangalore – Udupi – Kundapura – Maravanthe – Baindoor – Kollur – Vandse – Halady – Someshwara – Agumbe – Sringeri – Jayapura – Balehonnur – Aldur – Chikmagalur – Belur – Hassan – Bangalore
Absolutely wonderful write-up there. That Padmini is one lucky fiat and very well maintained.
Whenever I read a travel experience by a bhpian+fiatian, there would be a considerable number of pictures of just the Fiat. Even I do the same.
May that Fiat of yours nail such epic trips and keep us all hooked on to your blogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devansn View Post
I think Punto has the potential to become a rare and classic car just in a few more years, due to the sales that Fiat manages.
You good Sir, you are absolutely right.
Some times I tell people all Lineas and Puntos are limited edition, that's why you don't see them often on the roads.

Last edited by ARAY : 7th May 2016 at 10:31.
ARAY is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 17:15   #23
BHPian
 
cr4nkshaft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 101
Thanked: 117 Times
Default Re: A HOT summer drive with a Padmini & Ertiga!

beautiful beautiful travelogue. the roads, the car, you guys all look just out of some road trip buddy movie.

I personally feel you have gone a tiny bit overboard with the stickers, but that's my opinion. to each his own! the photos, all taken with a phone camera, not crystal clear, but adds a charm like and old radio does to old songs.

hope you keep loving this car, the car keep loving you back and you keep having many such trips!
cr4nkshaft is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 19:30   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
funkykar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,358
Thanked: 1,727 Times
Default Re: A HOT summer drive with a Padmini & Ertiga!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungSaint View Post
Wow! Padmini is one of my favorite cars as I had learnt driving on it. Just loved the travelogue and specially the photos. I just ogled the photos, revisiting them again and again.

One thing I was not able to find out was - if the car a petrol or a diesel one? If you got 18.44 kmpl on the petrol then, it would put many of the modern day cars to shame. Hell, if you got 18.44 kmpl on the diesel Padmini, it would be pretty competitive with the modern day cars.

I have one question - there was one photo where the glove-box was visible and I found some corrosion near it but on the outside, the car looks impeccable. How is the condition of Padmini from inside?
PM me the pics you have. Would love to see and cherish them. Padmini S1 is the last model that premier made and is petrol. I too have been surprised with the kind of mileage it has been giving. When I got the car it gave around 20kmpl on the highways with average performance. Now, after a few mods (retrofitting electric fans and getting rid of mechanical and Contessa ignition system), it still gives 18+ with awesome performance even with a heavy foot. Decent driving will surely throw up numbers greater than 21-22kmpl for sure.

It has some corrosion, but not too much. Even the dickey end and edges have lot of corrosion. But since last 18 months its kind of constant and hasn't degraded. Have a plan to refresh it some time later this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post


Well Driven Padmini S1 through the roads we took requires a well written & crisp Travelogue and you just did that!

One thing that I will remember from this trip is the way you managed to maintain the average speeds that was almost at par with any modern day car. Damn, during return, It took a while for me to catch up with you at Kunigal. While we spoke, you were only 25 kms away and after an hour, we were still 5 kms apart even when I was really doing some good speeds.

In the ghats, it was all the more fun watching the S1 with the right set of Tires vanishing through those curves like a real fast car. Reminded me of those days when Padminis were the sole race cars in our country then.

Kudos to you for having the faith in this machine to take it on a drive that was actually demanding for its standards. The summer heat and the ghats to climb is not an easy combination after all.

Before I forget, your companion Arun is equally responsible as you for making this trip a simple success.
Thank you! Thank you! I give this complement to the car. Off all the Padminis I owned in the past, ONLY this one has been super consistent in all aspects. Handling, performance, speed and even mileage numbers. The issue generally is getting a good used car and I was lucky to get this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Karthik - fantastic travelogue! Please post photographs of the two electric fans installation. I want to analyse it. I integrated and tested the AVL S1 cross flow radiator cooling system, so I know the impiricals. Also let me know what is the total coolant capacity in your car.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thank you very much sir! There is your blessings of immense knowledge you have imparted which has made our ownership a breeze. The confidence we have in ourselves and whatever knowledge we have about these classic Fiats indirectly circles back a lot to you

I will detail the fan setup with pics(forgot to take it and will also dig for old ones if I still have) and post it on my ownership thread and PM you shortly. I am yet to post pics of the Contessa ignition setup also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
How i wish I could still maintain and drive our Premier Padmini. Talk about bad luck or fate, all the three workshops that we had to transfer our Padmini to get the works done have shut down while our cars were in for work! Our car is locked in one such workshop for almost one year now and I get a sad feeling about it.

Hope to experience something like this and thanks a ton for posting this travelogue.

Cheers!
No time is too late. Go for it and do what it takes to get the car back and to get it running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulskumar View Post
Wow , your write up revisited my thoughts of those Mumbai-Pune drives with my Dad, who used to take me in his Padmini S1 ( before express was even constructed ).

Padmini S1 used to give us good mileage. This model had coolant and the engine was designed in Austria . I know even the gearbox was sourced from NE118 which made it super soft compared to previous generations. I still have the PAL advertisement cut out published in Times of India during 1997. I will attach the image to this thread the moment I reach Mumbai. Padmini S1 was the last variant from PAL before it filed for bankruptcy
Like the National Diesel Engine (MJD), of course the Padmini was the dearest car in yesterdecades and still is for lot of people even now. Please do post a copy of that ad. Would love to see it all over again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdm295 View Post
Just couldn't believe a long trip in padmini that to without the a/c. Wow a very well maintained car.
Thanks! The retrofitted Super King AC works like a charm and chills the passenger to the bone. We chose not to use it to soak up the sun's heat head on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
Super one, Arun and Karthik!
Topping up the radiator, disappearing on twisties all reminded me of my childhood days.. riding shotgun with my Papa. It's been a long dream ever since- get a Fiat, get it in tip top shape and set off on a destination-less drive and relive the memories of a beautiful car.
Sigh! One of these days for sure!
Guruve, for the adventures you have been doing with cars, its just a small decision to make and get a Padmini also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Superb travelogue!! I learned driving in a padmini and this travelogue just took me to those days when I used to enjoy the padmini. And those Column-mounted gearshifts always gives a nice feeling.

And you need some real guts to take it on a 1000 Kms drive with the mercury soaring high. Hats Off! It also shows the confidence that you have on this machine.
The column shift ones indeed feel special, atleast because no cars are made with such gearboxes. I was too particular on this and ensured I got this car only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghuram.cg View Post
Great Write Up - the car is in top nick and nice to see you guys enjoyed it to the hilt!!
Some time, S1 and your classic Fiat. Lets do a drive in monsoon. We can do our treks together past Monsoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaford View Post
Fantastic travelogue! Loved the pics of your Fiat which looks to be in good nick. She is ageing gracefully.

It brought back some sweet memories of my Fiat Premier Padmini from 1998. Quite a unique one, she was. The gear setup was modified to be a floor gear as opposed to the hand shift gear stick. Sadly had to let her go when I moved overseas on work.
My S1 surely is not ageing. Its getting younger by the day

Yours came with floor shift or you had got it modified?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARAY View Post
Absolutely wonderful write-up there. That Padmini is one lucky fiat and very well maintained.
Whenever I read a travel experience by a bhpian+fiatian, there would be a considerable number of pictures of just the Fiat. Even I do the same.
May that Fiat of yours nail such epic trips and keep us all hooked on to your blogs.
For any car lover, pics of their car comes first, then rest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr4nkshaft View Post
beautiful beautiful travelogue. the roads, the car, you guys all look just out of some road trip buddy movie.

I personally feel you have gone a tiny bit overboard with the stickers, but that's my opinion. to each his own! the photos, all taken with a phone camera, not crystal clear, but adds a charm like and old radio does to old songs.

hope you keep loving this car, the car keep loving you back and you keep having many such trips!
It in fact felt like a dream come true for me. That was the pleasure I derived. With the stickers, I couldn't compromise one bit. Each sticker means a lot for me. 50% stickers are of TBhp which I love a lot and take #1 precedence. 36 number and Ralliart comes from my previous Padmini S1 which I had to part due to lack of time. Rest are from the Fiat 1100 Club Bangalore which is very dear to my heart. Even though its over board, I like it!

Last edited by funkykar : 9th May 2016 at 19:32.
funkykar is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 03:03   #25
BHPian
 
rahulskumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 72
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: A HOT summer drive with a Padmini & Ertiga!

Please check this page from team-bhp. This was one of the advertisements when S1 was released.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...dustry-17.html (Ads from '90s- The decade that changed Indian Automotive Industry)

Thanks to member anjan_c2007. The one I have with me is with maroon color

To identify S1 models from the front is by looking at the "clockwise wipers" and the "PAL" logo on grill which used to be hooked at the top holder just below bonnet. The wiper directions were changed for the first time by PAL. I believe that even the on road price was around 3.2 lakhs (non AC) which was comparatively higher than maruti 800
rahulskumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 08:55   #26
BHPian
 
autocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 668
Thanked: 537 Times
Default Re: A HOT summer drive with a Padmini & Ertiga!

What an amazing trip! You have taken us along with you with wonderful pics! Thanks a lot and wish you many more trips like this

PS: Took a while to go through all the posts - hope we do dharwad soon!

Last edited by autocrat : 10th May 2016 at 08:58.
autocrat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 19:56   #27
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Delhi-NCR
Posts: 898
Thanked: 4,652 Times
Default Re: A HOT summer drive with a Padmini & Ertiga!

Well done gentlemen for the drive in a 25 year old car and for sharing it with us. When I bought my floor shift Padmini in the early 1990s Premier told me it was fitted with a gearbox similar to (or a derivative of) the box of the 118NE. Certainly for its time it was smooth. When vintage nostalgia write-ups start appearing of things I did in my younger days then I know its time to .... now where are my dentures!

Last edited by V.Narayan : 11th May 2016 at 19:57.
V.Narayan is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2016, 16:09   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
funkykar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,358
Thanked: 1,727 Times
Default Re: A HOT summer drive with a Padmini & Ertiga!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulskumar View Post
Please check this page from team-bhp. This was one of the advertisements when S1 was released.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...dustry-17.html (Ads from '90s- The decade that changed Indian Automotive Industry)

Thanks to member anjan_c2007. The one I have with me is with maroon color

To identify S1 models from the front is by looking at the "clockwise wipers" and the "PAL" logo on grill which used to be hooked at the top holder just below bonnet. The wiper directions were changed for the first time by PAL. I believe that even the on road price was around 3.2 lakhs (non AC) which was comparatively higher than maruti 800
Thank you! Remember seeing this post of anjan_c2007. I was still fishing to see if you had a different ad . The ad is all it means. The S1 if in good tune is definitely is "more" of Punch, Performance, Pleasure and Practicality. They may have foolishly forgotten one important thing. MORE MILEAGE PER LITER!!

The on road prices were mostly 2.x Lakh. 3.2 probably could have been a deluxe AC S1 may be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
What an amazing trip! You have taken us along with you with wonderful pics! Thanks a lot and wish you many more trips like this

PS: Took a while to go through all the posts - hope we do dharwad soon!
Dharwad surely will happen! 100% sure. Will plan for it and let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Well done gentlemen for the drive in a 25 year old car and for sharing it with us. When I bought my floor shift Padmini in the early 1990s Premier told me it was fitted with a gearbox similar to (or a derivative of) the box of the 118NE. Certainly for its time it was smooth. When vintage nostalgia write-ups start appearing of things I did in my younger days then I know its time to .... now where are my dentures!
This ones still in its teen age. Its just 19 year old

The Padminis that came with gearbox derived from Nissan are the S1's. 1995 to close of Premier was the time.
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2016, 22:21   #29
BHPian
 
haria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: bangalore
Posts: 276
Thanked: 291 Times
Default Re: A HOT summer drive with a Padmini & Ertiga!

Hi funkykar,

Very well written travelogue. I liked many things in this

Simplicity , nice pics - especially the ice creams , THE CAR, your passion for driving, etc.

Way to go! Wish you many more miles of happiness and wonderful experiences



Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
The Preparation for Padmini:
1) Keep original documents in the car
2) Copy latest songs onto the pen drive (Though we mostly did not turn on stereo. May be overall 30mins of time we played music)
Talk about simplicity! This beats all! :-)


Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
mileage would be 18.8kmpl!!
very impressive figures for a car that old!


Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
On the 4 lane highway, we were comfortable cruising around triple digit speeds.
This is ONE BIG thing, which I didn't relish in your travelogue. I guess you must be a sane driver, and this car is also built strongly but driving that fast without seat belts, gives me a very uncomfortable feeling..
I understand, seatbelts may not be there in the original design, but can't it be retrofitted ??

Drive safe, friend!

slightly OT, don't cops stop you for seatbelts ? or vehicles older than certain age exempted from the rule ?
haria is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2017, 14:36   #30
BHPian
 
anand.shankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 245
Thanked: 267 Times
Default Re: A HOT summer drive with a Padmini & Ertiga!

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post

---- My Linea was parked mostly in office and had to be jump started on 3 occasions in this year. -----
Do you work in EMC ? I see a Red Linea parked at the same spot for many months now.
anand.shankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Taxi: 2012 Chevy Tavera vs Maruti Ertiga vs Chevy Enjoy? EDIT: Bought Ertiga ZDi M35 SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 21 9th January 2015 06:48
Summer nightdreams - My red hot Figo TDCi Titanium Revy Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 185 30th November 2014 08:46
A HOT (read Summer) trip to Mesmerizing Chikmagalur in my SX4 VVT DigitalDragon Travelogues 19 25th July 2012 18:00
Hot Summer Traffic Jams : Be Prepared f1head Street Experiences 15 2nd April 2010 23:31


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:48.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks