Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 9th January 2018, 14:47   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Bandipur: In search of Stripes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Excellent photos and writeup
Planning to go to Bandipur and Wayanad in February from Hyderabad.
As per my initial research, the Jeep safari at Bandipur is only available if you book at JLR, which is kind of disappointing. I was wondering if there is any other way to book the Jeep safari.
As far as I know there is online booking for jeep in Bandipur. Check out this link
http://bandipurtigerreserve.in
i20ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2018, 15:46   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, Buddy.
Can we book the Jeeps in advance? Since I will be travelling from Hyderabad, I don't want to leave it to chance. I had one such bad experience in Kabini/Nagarhole as we were not able to get the Jeep Safaris as there was absolutely no transparency in the process, it was either based on acquaintance or underhand dealings
Hi adimicra,

http://bandipurtigerreserve.in/BTRBooking/#/login

Try using this URL for booking the Jeep safaris.

Regards
Dieseltuned
Dieseltuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2018, 23:51   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i20ian View Post
As far as I know there is online booking for jeep in Bandipur. Check out this link
http://bandipurtigerreserve.in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Hi adimicra,

http://bandipurtigerreserve.in/BTRBooking/#/login

Try using this URL for booking the Jeep safaris.

Regards
Dieseltuned
Thanks both of you.
I checked this portal. There is an option of Jeep Safari but it is only 1.5 hours duration. I think this is done by the Forest department. Cost is Rs 3695/-. Has anyone availed this safari? If yes, please share the experience

Considering that JLR offers 2 safaris of 2.5-3 hours' duration each, it is probably better to opt for a room in JLR Bandipur Safari Lodge if you are interested in Jeep Safari in Bandipur.
adimicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2018, 13:36   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks both of you.
I checked this portal. There is an option of Jeep Safari but it is only 1.5 hours duration. I think this is done by the Forest department. Cost is Rs 3695/-. Has anyone availed this safari? If yes, please share the experience

Considering that JLR offers 2 safaris of 2.5-3 hours' duration each, it is probably better to opt for a room in JLR Bandipur Safari Lodge if you are interested in Jeep Safari in Bandipur.
I have used both the Jeep and Bus safaris. If you are a photographer, the jeep safari is better, particularly if you have like minded people who are not noisy. If you are just wanting to have a look at the jungle, the bus will be fine. Noisy companions are going to be a complete damper

Wildlife sightings are largely a matter of luck so if you go with zero expectations regarding sightings and just concentrate on the beauty of nature and the jungle you are certainly not going to be disappointed. Do note that Lantana seems to have proliferated all over which blocks a lot of view.

The JLR safari is undoubtedly better but comes at a very high cost compared to the forest department safari

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...asinagudi.html (From Chaotic Bangalore to Calm Masinagudi) is an old travelogue of mine with some details on that area

Deepak
deepak_misra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2018, 14:22   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks both of you.

The online gypsy booking for safaris in Bandipur has been recently (2 to 3 months) started. Before it was available only for bus safari bookings. With this new option one can book 1 gypsy for 1.5 hours for 1-6 people in one go. If you want to do safari by gypsy for 3 hours then you need to book twice. However the catch is one has to pay INR 250 per person per day as forest entry fee even if you are doing multiple gypsy safari on the same day by doing spot bookings at the FD reception or if you were staying at one of the department guest houses. Now if you book safari's online then then you end up paying INR 250 per person for every safari booked for that day. For spot bookings they are still charging INR 250 per person per day & not per safari.

If only 2 of you are doing this trip & not staying at the forest department guest houses (near the reception) then I suggest you to stay in JLR. The forest department gypsy safari works out only if there are 4 to 6 people in the group & if you have got accommodation in the department guest house & if you have good rapport with the safari driver (most important).

Wildlife should always be experienced by maintaining enough distance between us & the fauna. That is when you get quality sightings, photo opportunities & also opportunity to learn & see animal behavior. These department safari drivers are more interested in going closer to the animal for them to take videos. If you are interested in photography then JLR is the way to go.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask if you have more questions

Last edited by Torque123 : 10th January 2018 at 14:45.
Torque123 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2018, 14:48   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks both of you.

Hi adimicra,

JLR is definitely worth the money. I stayed at JLR in December. Booked a one night package which includes accommodation +lunch+evening tea+dinner+Morning tea and breakfast and obviously 2 jeep safaris of 3 hours each.

Infact my evening safari started at 3:00 and went uptill 07:00 as we were trailing the 2 tiger cubs that I mentioned in my earlier post.

On a personal note I found the food at JLR lip smacking good.

There is only one thing that I would like to point out you will have to shell out 200 bucks extra if you are carrying a DSLR lens upto 200mm and more if carrying a bigger lens. This money was taken at the Bandipur entrance and we never got any receipt of this.

Regards
Dieseltuned
Dieseltuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2018, 23:37   #37
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone.
After going through the above posts and some other reading, I think the conclusion is it's best to book 1 night in JLR and avail the 2 3-hour safaris if someone is mostly interested in safari. For a larger group and staying in the forest department bunglow, the other safari option might work out well.
The fact that at least a Jeep safari option is available to people now who are not staying in JLR is a step in the right direction. As someone said, such an option was not available not so long ago. I hope we have more options and competition in the days to come. Last year, I went to Tadoba and we were free to stay in any resort of our choice as there was no condition for access to Jeep safari.
I would seriously discourage anyone from taking up the Van/Canter safari as it spoils the overall experience. Last time, I had taken such a safari in Kabini (could not arrange a jeep safari as I was not staying in JLR Kabini) and have promised myself to never take that in future

Last edited by adimicra : 10th January 2018 at 23:38.
adimicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2018, 19:11   #38
BHPian

Has anyone been to Bandipur lately? Wanted to know if there have been recent sightings of big cats. I'm planning to drive down one of the upcoming weekends.
prashkul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2018, 21:39   #39
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashkul View Post
Has anyone been to Bandipur lately? Wanted to know if there have been recent sightings of big cats. I'm planning to drive down one of the upcoming weekends.
Check out the jungle lodges website. You would get a detailed sighting summary listed against each day and time.
varunanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2018, 14:27   #40
BHPian

Quote:
varunanb is right. The Jungle Lodges website is the best place for this information. Specifically this page (for Bandipur):

http://jlrexplore.com/sightings/bandipur
Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2018, 21:39   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sightings are on the rise. But with any safari, its a matter of luck. No harm in taking a couple of safaris.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2018, 22:20   #42
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Sightings are on the rise. But with any safari, its a matter of luck. No harm in taking a couple of safaris.
Where exactly? any info on the route. By this time, it should be around the water holes around late noon.
YaeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2018, 18:14   #43
BHPian

Thanks for sharing great pictures! Being a jungle safari is one of the most beautiful experience! You were lucky to see mammals as well as birds some of them being a rarity! I stayed in Bandipur few years ago and could not see any rare birds or animals possibly due to a wildfire that had destroyed major portion of the forest back then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque123 View Post

Wildlife should always be experienced by maintaining enough distance between us & the fauna. That is when you get quality sightings, photo opportunities & also opportunity to learn & see animal behaviour.
+1 to that.
It is frustrating to see garbage thrown around, safari seekers making noise in the jungle and over enthusiastic drivers getting close to the animals/birds!
Gany is offline   Reply With Quote