Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 31st May 2016, 14:19   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Malari Tales: Footloose in the Garhwal Himalayas

Dear SJD,

My Heartiest congratulation, on such a mission. A true Brave-heart. Excellent pictures, without which one could not have fathomed your achievement, nor we could have known the wonders and excellent landscape, of garhwal.

Your preparation and items which you carried and missed, and wished you had carried.

mechanical / electrical problems, if Any.

Fuel problem, if Any.

Fooding and Lodging problems, if Any.

Perhaps a list of do and donts, from your experience, to all riders, who want to undertake such journeys.

Once again, Congratulations, and Thanx in advance.

Regards
dr. sen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2016, 14:37   #17
BHPian

SJD, Incredible...Can't find any other world...And I don't think there has been any travelogue in Team BHP which has described a break-in to sleep in a barn in an abandoned village ! Bro, your are a real braveheart. If reading this travelogue gave us such a thrill, then one can't imagine how much satisfaction you must have got on completing this trip.
venkatt1800 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2016, 19:16   #18
Senior - BHPian

Mate, I have seen and read numerous tlogs here, but certainly you are a different breed. I can still feel the bewilderment that ITBP and Army guys must have been feeling. But am appalled that they let you all alone in that village knowing fully well that the village was deserted. haha. I know why they didnot report it, their happiness would have been jacked up to kingdom come if they didnot show you interned at camp during the night, haha.
Bravo, well done. Looking forward to reading more of your travellogues. Also my sincere apologies for loosing the Prophet.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2016, 20:22   #19
BHPian

Travelling alone is quite something right? I often take my bike and go out riding on remote areas of my country. Just like you I too enjoy the experience-the not having to wait for anyone or not making anyone wait for you.

Keep riding.
Nagato710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2016, 22:08   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
This travelogue is a different level from what I've read so far. The pictures are inspiring and so are your words. Felt as if I was watching you from a drone while you did your trek. Too real!

As a fellow biker, let me salute you for this expedition of yours. Takes immense courage, planning and immunity from inhumane conditions to undertake something of this scale. Kudos to you. Rated a completely deserved 5!

Allow me to conclude by quoting something which came to my mind as soon as I finished reading your travelogue.*
Barcalad, thanks for those VERY inspiring words. Yours was an compliment of the highest order that I received till date. Thanks for the lines, they are my favorite from Tagore's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
This is just way too good. The pictures are just fantastic and the accompanying write up made me feel as if I was there too. You sir, are a rock star. Thank you for sharing. Made my day.*
Thank you Sir for your nice words. I loved hearing stories in my childhood, now I like to narrate stories*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaSierra View Post
Wonderful write-up, with some great pictures! And as mayankk mentioned you are truly living your life! Rated a well deserved 5 star!
Thanks for your kind words Sir. To live the life the way you want, you need to compromise on a lot of things Meanwhile, I am going through your Darjeeling tales....excellent pics !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post
Salute to you for your courage sir. Never thought such beautiful places exist so close to us. Read the full post in one go and felt a part of it.

OT How do you people convince your families for going on such trips: alone, at night??
I once went to Mussorrie on bike with my mates and still facing the aftermaths from my wife every now and then.
Thank you for your kind words, Sir. My family was unconvinced just like your better half when I started touring about 4-5 years ago. I remember my dad not talking to me for nearly a month for not taking his advice. My mom keeps praying through out the day still when I am away on trips. The fact is that I had been doing the same stuff month after months, year after years and coming back perfectly safe and sound (although the very worse for wear and tear and sunburn ) has made my family comfortable with the fact that whatever I am doing, I am doing it responsibly as its my only passion. Plus the fact that they are aware of that I dont indulge in liquors as well as travel only solo (sometimes company of friends can be more harmful then beneficial) makes them comfortable with my touring.

Regarding night riding, I make it a point to do Delhi exit only at night as it means less traffic, less heat and nearly half a day saved. After Day 1, I completely avoid night riding and end my days riding maximum by 7 in the evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teesh@BHP View Post
Take a bow man! It takes guts to go on such a venture, something most people like me can only dream of. An excellent write up for an A-M-A-Z-I-N-G journey!

Just a question, you family is cool enough to let you go all these solo ventures without any hindrance?*
Thanks a lot for your nice words man. As to your question, please refer to my answer above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
My Great God. You are one brave soul.

Lovely description and beautiful photographs.

One query also. If I plan to visit joshimath/Devprayag in June, starting 11th June-13th June, how would the weather and hotel conditions be?
In June, the weather is quiet dry, and at least up till Srinagar-Gaucher area it is blisteringly hot and sandy. It becomes cooler and more bearable as you go up from Chamoli. Hotels you would get at quiet decent rates as just like last year, this time too*yatri*footfall isn't that high to Badrinath side after the opening. Expect room with single bedding after bargaining at about 150-200/- rates and room with multiple beds in the 500-600/- zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. sen View Post
Dear SJD,

My Heartiest congratulation, on such a mission. A true Brave-heart. Excellent pictures, without which one could not have fathomed your achievement, nor we could have known the wonders and excellent landscape, of garhwal.

Your preparation and items which you carried and missed, and wished you had carried.

mechanical / electrical problems, if Any.

Fuel problem, if Any.

Fooding and Lodging problems, if Any.

Perhaps a list of do and donts, from your experience, to all riders, who want to undertake such journeys.

Once again, Congratulations, and Thanx in advance.

Regards
Thank you, Dr. Sen. I take a lot of time and pain to capture my journey so that it helps in being illustrative later. One of the reasons why I avoid group riding is this reason as you cant be selfish to hinder the pace of the whole group to satisfy your photography instincts.

1. Items I missed carrying was a torch, which I made do later with my cell flashlight. Also, I dint had a proper trekking stick at that time. Hence carrying a lath, now I have invested in a proper Quechua trekking pole. Also, I dint carry any raincoat at that time as it wasn't rainy season but I tried to stay ready for rains by picking a couple of barsatis/ poly rain covers for about 30/- each at Chamoli.

Other then this, I always make it a point to carry dry fruits, biscuits, namkeen, glucose, chocolate, first aid, toiletry items, 2 change of clothes, extra gloves and socks, a sheathed dagger, chewing gum, a bedsheet on the bike seat and a mattress/ yoga mat, etc. etc.

2. No Mech/ electrical problems as such. In fact that's why I still miss Prophet, max reliability with least maintenance. The chain set broke off as it had crossed it's lifeline yet I was pushing it.

3. Fuel problem, not as such. A 16L tank provided me a range of 600 kms and I used to tank up at Pipalkoti as it is said that the last petrol pump at Joshimath distributed adulterated fuel which gives missing problem to bikes.

4. I would always urge riders to:
- be in control of the bike at all times. If you are a fast rider, ride at the fastest speed you are comfortable with provided you are ready to handle panic braking situations at such speeds.

- retain focus after you hit the plains after crossing the mountains on your return journey. We tend to be relieved once we hit the straight roads after riding the whole day on curvy roads, and that is when accidents can happen at the minutest shift in focus.

- know your limits. Feeling sleepy, pull over and wash your face, resume riding. Still sleepy, pull over at a safe place or a dhaba and catch rest for an hour or two. I plug in my earphones always during riding, but keep the volume level at such threshold that I am equally conscious about external sounds like horns. On the same note, creating specific music playlists to keep your mood refreshed during riding isn't a bad idea.

- have a transparent goggles ready esp. if you are doing nighttime riding. Sometimes you may want the wind on your face while still avoiding the sand from entering your eyes....

- during night time riding, it's advisable to follow 4 wheelers at a safe distance over patches which have a name for being potentially dangerous.

- while riding in mountains, don't overtake at corners and bends. It might really test your patience to wait for that truck to give you way before that bend, but it's safer to tag behind and wait for him to let you pass after the bend. More then the rider, the trucker/ bus/ small car driver are uncomfortable in letting someone stick to their backsides for long waiting to pass. Hence, mostly they wait for a broader patch and let's you pass.

- not a bad idea to lube/ tighten your chainset every 200-250 kms. Give the engine some rest too after every couple of hours. Don't take extended breaks, 10-15 mins breaks are fine other then lunch break.

That's all from my side

Last edited by moralfibre : 1st June 2016 at 09:31. Reason: Back to back posts.
SJD@NewDelhi is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2016, 23:25   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatt1800 View Post
SJD, Incredible...Can't find any other world...And I don't think there has been any travelogue in Team BHP which has described a break-in to sleep in a barn in an abandoned village ! Bro, your are a real braveheart. If reading this travelogue gave us such a thrill, then one can't imagine how much satisfaction you must have got on completing this trip.
Thanks a lot Venkat ji for such nice words Such satisfaction has gone a long way in me taking the decision of making touring and trekking my lifetime passion. Thanks again for the compliments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Mate, I have seen and read numerous tlogs here, but certainly you are a different breed. I can still feel the bewilderment that ITBP and Army guys must have been feeling. But am appalled that they let you all alone in that village knowing fully well that the village was deserted. haha. I know why they didnot report it, their happiness would have been jacked up to kingdom come if they didnot show you interned at camp during the night, haha.
Bravo, well done. Looking forward to reading more of your travellogues. Also my sincere apologies for loosing the Prophet.
I am the dying breed Sir, as one of my traveler friends described once, the soon to be 'extinct' breed Till date, I am wondering the exact region why they denied me night accommodation because just as they don't believe in my 'traveling' justification, I don't believe in their 'security issues' justification. The colonel dint even come to out to have a word with me to check my story or whatever...

Although Falcon (my RE Thunderbird) royally carries me up and down mountains nowadays, I still miss the old Prophet who brought me back home safely countless times over a period of 4 years without a single groan. The next travelogues lined up are the Gangotri and the Kheerganga tales but only the recently ended Satopant trek promises of a Malari equivalent adventure Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagato710 View Post
Travelling alone is quite something right? I often take my bike and go out riding on remote areas of my country. Just like you I too enjoy the experience-the not having to wait for anyone or not making anyone wait for you.

Keep riding.
Can't agree with you enough mate !! Please enrich us with your experience. Safe travels

Last edited by moralfibre : 1st June 2016 at 09:32. Reason: Back to back posts.
SJD@NewDelhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2016, 23:42   #22
BHPian

Bhai, kya ho aap? Kaise kar lete ho ye sab? I mean travelling in wilderness. All alone. No company except for your machine. Nothing to hear except for the monotony of the exhaust. I think this is what it means becoming one with the unity and with your ride. It is the stuff motorcycling legends are made of. Reminded me of Che Guevara’s ‘The Motorcycle Diaries.’ The book. Not the movie (haven't seen it).

PS: I had long waited for this thread. Rated it 5 star. And waiting for more.

Last edited by Piyadassi : 31st May 2016 at 23:44.
Piyadassi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2016, 09:34   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyadassi View Post
Bhai, kya ho aap? Kaise kar lete ho ye sab? I mean travelling in wilderness. All alone. No company except for your machine. Nothing to hear except for the monotony of the exhaust. I think this is what it means becoming one with the unity and with your ride. It is the stuff motorcycling legends are made of. Reminded me of Che Guevara’s ‘The Motorcycle Diaries.’ The book. Not the movie (haven't seen it).

PS: I had long waited for this thread. Rated it 5 star. And waiting for more.
Anand sir, for one who does riding/ driving as a compulsion, for them nothing can be a bigger punishment then having to ride/ drive the whole day. In contrast, people like us for whom riding is a passion when given the opportunity to ride for days, nothing can be more blissful for us. It's all about the passion that drives us towards heights. The solitude that is associated with my trips is a very integral part of my life, for this solitude gives me time to ponder over different issues that might disturb the individual mind and that's why I name my trip under 'Motorcycling Nirvana' as riding is no less then meditation to me. Riding in solitude also enables me to discover the hidden poet in me and to sail over frustrations that city life has to offer. I feel like a caged bird when I cannot tour for more then two months out of obligations. My eyes become moist with tears immediately when I hit the highways, it's like I am reunited with my lover after long. May sound very weird to people who can't relate to the feeling, but yeah.. these are my honest feelings

Thanks a lot again Sir for pursuing these lengthy thread and rating it a 5-star.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd June 2016 at 10:12. Reason: Fixed typo
SJD@NewDelhi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2016, 11:39   #24
BHPian

SJD, what a brilliant adventure, a narration to match it and pictures to make us experience the beauty almost first hand!

Thoroughly enjoyed reading it and cant wait for more travelogues to come.

Safe rides and adventures!

Cheers,
Sting
Sting is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2016, 11:51   #25
Senior - BHPian

Excellent travelogue Suraj. Rated 5 star. My best compliments on such a arduous journey. Hopefully we can catch up to ride together on our Leh journey. Hope to see you soon.

Cheers...
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2016, 19:25   #26
BHPian

Brilliant travelogue SJD. One of the best I have read in a long time. I read your travelogue, then re-read it. Wanderlust is a mild term for you.
Duly rated the thread a well derved 5 stars. Nothing less. Look forward to more from you. Fabulous.
Baddychat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2016, 21:48   #27
BHPian

Post Re: Malari Tales: Footloose in the Garhwal Himalayas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post
SJD, what a brilliant adventure, a narration to match it and pictures to make us experience the beauty almost first hand!

Thoroughly enjoyed reading it and cant wait for more travelogues to come.

Safe rides and adventures!

Cheers,
Sting
The pleasure is mine that I could make the narration worthwhile Already working on the next t-logs, maybe a max. of a fortnight more to update in the forum.

Cheers - Suraj

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Excellent travelogue Suraj. Rated 5 star. My best compliments on such a arduous journey. Hopefully we can catch up to ride together on our Leh journey. Hope to see you soon.

Cheers...
Thanks much Dheeraj ji for following my adventure. It shall be a privilege for me to ride with you to the mecca of bikers. Cya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddychat View Post
Brilliant travelogue SJD. One of the best I have read in a long time. I read your travelogue, then re-read it. Wanderlust is a mild term for you.
Duly rated the thread a well derved 5 stars. Nothing less. Look forward to more from you. Fabulous.
I feel privileged to read compliments like yours. Hopefully, I shall live up to the expectations in my next travelogue
SJD@NewDelhi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2016, 01:12   #28
BHPian

@SJD Absolutely brilliant travelogue. Thoroughly enjoyed the engaging narrative, complemented with brilliant photographs. I salute your spirit of adventure. The travelogue made me nostalgic about good old days when I used to escape to the hills of Himachal on long solo rides, though that was more than a decade ago. Now most of touring is undertaken in a car but nonetheless nothing can beat the free spirited fun of riding a two wheeler. Also your this very trip reminded me of the Char Dham trip to Uttarakhand which I did a few years back in a hatchback. Your travelogue has motivated me to share the experience on the forum.

Anyways I have a few queries regarding your trip:
1. Do you carry any spares for the bike?
2. Do you carry extra fuel when travelling in remote areas?

Regards.
ssambyal1980 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2016, 17:13   #29

A M A Z I N G to say the least! ! ! This is so inspiring. I guess this is what life is all about and you are walking the talk! Would love to do what you have done, one day

Looking forward to your Satopant write-up. It has been on my wish-list for long.

Cheers!
Lijesh88 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2016, 23:06   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssambyal1980 View Post
@SJD Absolutely brilliant travelogue. Thoroughly enjoyed the engaging narrative, complemented with brilliant photographs. I salute your spirit of adventure. The travelogue made me nostalgic about good old days when I used to escape to the hills of Himachal on long solo rides, though that was more than a decade ago. Now most of touring is undertaken in a car but nonetheless nothing can beat the free spirited fun of riding a two wheeler. Also your this very trip reminded me of the Char Dham trip to Uttarakhand which I did a few years back in a hatchback. Your travelogue has motivated me to share the experience on the forum.

Anyways I have a few queries regarding your trip:
1. Do you carry any spares for the bike?
2. Do you carry extra fuel when travelling in remote areas?

Regards.
Wonderful Sir !! I too have that guilty feeling when I travel places but don't share the experience in forums such as this which has taught me how to travel. Anyways, it would be great to read about your experience in the char dham yatra, please keep us updated. As for me, Yamunotri is still pending :(

As to your questions:
1. Bare minimum spares including a clutch wire, race/ brake wire, spark plug, chain lube and the puncture repair kit.

2. While travelling to Uttarakhand, no. Because UK has fuel depots at nearly all places though quality may be compromised at remote places like Joshimath/ Sonprayag, etc. While traveling to Ladakh region, yes. In two 2L coke bottles and a 5L gallon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lijesh88 View Post
A M A Z I N G to say the least! ! ! This is so inspiring. I guess this is what life is all about and you are walking the talk! Would love to do what you have done, one day

Looking forward to your Satopant write-up. It has been on my wish-list for long.

Cheers!
Bingo Lijesh, THIS is what life is all about for me. Not only as a passion, traveling has really helped me develop in life. From learning to handle all negativities through traveling, to having a clear purpose in life other then the conventional purpose as well as having an unique identity, traveling has provided me everything. I feel sad when people who want to travel choose to stay indoors because of the fear of the unknown which I have found out to be mere imaginary insecurities of the mind. One just have to brave these obstacles to discover the steps to nirvana. Aim is to travel and infect others with the travel bug. Traveling gyaan aside, here are a few shots from my Satopant trek:

Malari Tales: Footloose in the Garhwal Himalayas-img_20160523_161719.jpg

Malari Tales: Footloose in the Garhwal Himalayas-img_20160523_161645.jpg

Malari Tales: Footloose in the Garhwal Himalayas-img_20160523_160813.jpg

Malari Tales: Footloose in the Garhwal Himalayas-img_20160523_160031.jpg

Cya
Suraj
SJD@NewDelhi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote