Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 6th July 2016, 18:13   #31
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Exploring West Sikkim with a Baby

Its always good to see nice landscapes and happy people! Nicely done AJ and snaps are real good. Sikkim is always a revelation every time.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2016, 15:00   #32
BHPian

I envy all people with WB registration plates. They are so close to Sikkim Thank you for sharing.

Special thanks for teaching people how to travel with infants and killing some myths right there.
bordeaux is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2016, 21:25   #33
BHPian

Great Travelogue. Very well written. A well deserved 5 stars. I am also planning a trip to Pelling and Yoksum in the near future. So just wanted your advice. I am planning to take my Hyundai Santro with 3 on board. Will ground clearance be an issue? Last year we had gone as far as Namchi and I really enjoyed this part of sikkim more than the touristy Gangtok.
amrisharm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2016, 09:44   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
Great Travelogue. Very well written. A well deserved 5 stars. I am also planning a trip to Pelling and Yoksum in the near future. So just wanted your advice. I am planning to take my Hyundai Santro with 3 on board. Will ground clearance be an issue? Last year we had gone as far as Namchi and I really enjoyed this part of sikkim more than the touristy Gangtok.
If I may answer that, it won't be a problem. We had four people onboard a Brio which has much lower GC than a Santro. You might encounter a maximum two or three places where you may have to offload passengers & get thru. Otherwise the whole circuit is easily doable. Have a great trip !!

Regards,

Pawan
PapaBravo is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2016, 15:41   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Its always good to see nice landscapes and happy people! Nicely done AJ and snaps are real good. Sikkim is always a revelation every time.
Thanks Buddy !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordeaux View Post
Special thanks for teaching people how to travel with infants and killing some myths right there.
Truth is stranger than fiction !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
Good to know that you enjoyed the Travelogue !! Gangtok is indeed very commercial, over hyped and densely populated as always.

There are numerous routes to go to Pelling & Yuksom as mentioned hereunder other than the conventional route (as on G-Maps) which supposedly is in a bad condition at the moment :
  1. Siliguri-Melli-Bhanjyang-Namchi-Ravangla-Legship-Geyzing-Pelling
  2. Siliguri-Melli-Rangpo-Singtam-Ravangla-Legship-Geyzing-Pelling
  3. Siliguri-Melli-Jorethang-Zoom-Soreng-Kaluk-Dentam-Pelling
  4. Siliguri-Melli-Jorethang-Daramdin-Soreng-Kaluk-Dentam-Pelling
  5. Siliguri-Melli-Rangpo-Singtam-Temi Tea Garden-Ravangla-Legship-Geyzing-Pelling

I took Route 1 for my Onward Journey and Route 4 for my Return Journey keeping sight seeing in mind. However, I would suggest you to drive up through Route 4 and come back Via Route 5 considering that you have already done Namchi previously.

As correctly mentioned by PapaBravo - Ground Clearance should not be a problem apart from some instances on some few bad short patches. Plus, I believe that the GC of the Santro is 172mm whereas of my Figo is 168mm and that of PapaBravo's Brio was 165mm. So on paper, comparitively you are in a better GC vehicle so it should not bother you !!
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2016, 01:23   #36
Senior - BHPian

MJ launches in style. By the way, wasn't speaking about the late Rockstar.

Lovely travelogue and fabulous pictures.
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2016, 10:44   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
I recently drove a Figo for more than 1000 kms and was bowled over by the handling and the brakes. It must be an immense fun vehicle in the hills.
A bit off topic, but really it is being a pain to chose a car compromising with the handling of my Figo. Literally sticks like a leech to the tarmac. Figo owners beware! You'll have a hard time finalizing an upgrade. The apt choice would be a Duster, but that's way above my budget.
mi2n is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2016, 16:03   #38
BHPian

Great Travelogue especially with all that route options and descriptions you have given

Quote:
There are numerous routes to go to Pelling & Yuksom as mentioned hereunder other than the conventional route (as on G-Maps) which supposedly is in a bad condition at the moment :
Siliguri-Melli-Bhanjyang-Namchi-Ravangla-Legship-Geyzing-Pelling
Siliguri-Melli-Rangpo-Singtam-Ravangla-Legship-Geyzing-Pelling
Siliguri-Melli-Jorethang-Zoom-Soreng-Kaluk-Dentam-Pelling
Siliguri-Melli-Jorethang-Daramdin-Soreng-Kaluk-Dentam-Pelling
Siliguri-Melli-Rangpo-Singtam-Temi Tea Garden-Ravangla-Legship-Geyzing-Pelling
By the way how much did the Chumbi Mountain Retreat cost, please share in pm if you can not disclose in public
YanTra Makto is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2016, 20:52   #39
BHPian

Congratulations Arav on welcoming a new member in the family! A tour of Sikkim is an excellent way for little Mivann to have baptism on road trip! Your travelogue is full of beautiful pictures with equally vivid narration.

Cheers,
gmhossain is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 15:46   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post
One thing I would like to ask you is that how long were you at the Nathula Pass which has an altitude of over 14,000 Fts with your little one ? No troubles is good to know as I plan to do a Zanskar Valley trip sometime in 2018 with my kids whereby my son would be 2 years old then. Advisable ?
I had taken a taxi from Gangtok and went to Nathu-la and came back to Gangtok the same day. I spent a couple of hours at Nathu-la and then headed back. I had a small nice incident there... As we were climbing up, it started drizzling and the temperature dropped suddenly (It was mid Sept, around 13 degrees when we reached, but dropped to below 5 after the drizzle). My wife wrapped my kid (2 years) in a fleece blanket, and tried to take cover under the shed of the wooden Indian Army base. Seeing this, an Army Captain opened the door and asked them to come in. Few other tourists tried to sneak in but were denied by the Army, I was outside too. Then the Captain instructed a Jawan to call me in (he had asked my wife where her husband was). We had a chit-chat with the Captain, a guy from Haryana, a thorough gentleman. During the chat, he asked his jawans to get a sigree (to keep the kid warm) and some tea for us. This was an out of the world experience for us, and we felt really really special. During the chat I asked him if the weather is always unpredictable... to which he answered... "aaj toh bada mast weather hai." They live through minus most of the time, so any plus temperature is great weather for them . Truly salute those guys!
streetfighter is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2016, 10:29   #41
BHPian

Arav, excellent travelogue. The details shared makes us virtually re-live your trip.

Just a question. Are there any Fastpass enabled tolls on that route?

-Abhay
AZ911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2016, 17:33   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
MJ launches in style.
Yes very much Sir !! Thanks for the compliments !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
A bit off topic, but really it is being a pain to chose a car compromising with the handling of my Figo. Literally sticks like a leech to the tarmac. Figo owners beware! You'll have a hard time finalizing an upgrade. The apt choice would be a Duster, but that's way above my budget.
By the time we replace our cars, hope we have some handy options !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YanTra Makto View Post
Great Travelogue especially with all that route options and descriptions you have given

By the way how much did the Chumbi Mountain Retreat cost, please share in pm if you can not disclose in public
Thanks Buddy !! Have PM'd you the details for your reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
Congratulations Arav on welcoming a new member in the family! A tour of Sikkim is an excellent way for little Mivann to have baptism on road trip! Your travelogue is full of beautiful pictures with equally vivid narration.
Thanks Hossain Da for the compliments !! In fact both my kids were opportune enough to have been baptized with a Himalayan Road Trip !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetfighter View Post
I had taken a taxi from Gangtok and went to Nathu-la and came back to Gangtok the same day. I spent a couple of hours at Nathu-la and then headed back. I had a small nice incident there... As we were climbing up, it started drizzling and the temperature dropped suddenly (It was mid Sept, around 13 degrees when we reached, but dropped to below 5 after the drizzle). My wife wrapped my kid (2 years) in a fleece blanket, and tried to take cover under the shed of the wooden Indian Army base. Seeing this, an Army Captain opened the door and asked them to come in. Few other tourists tried to sneak in but were denied by the Army, I was outside too. Then the Captain instructed a Jawan to call me in (he had asked my wife where her husband was). We had a chit-chat with the Captain, a guy from Haryana, a thorough gentleman. During the chat, he asked his jawans to get a sigree (to keep the kid warm) and some tea for us. This was an out of the world experience for us, and we felt really really special. During the chat I asked him if the weather is always unpredictable... to which he answered... "aaj toh bada mast weather hai." They live through minus most of the time, so any plus temperature is great weather for them . Truly salute those guys!
Excellent Feat !! Such memories always remain in the crux of our hearts and cherished over a lifetime. Such experiences are "what it is all about"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ911 View Post
Arav, excellent travelogue. The details shared makes us virtually re-live your trip.

Just a question. Are there any Fastpass enabled tolls on that route?
Glad you enjoyed the extensive TL. Unfortunately no fast-pass enabled tolls Bro
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2016, 17:22   #43
BHPian

Somehow I missed the thread. Congrats AJ da. Mivann is quite a unique name, haven't heard it before.

This travelogue is as extensive as it can be. This thread will definitely help a lot of parents to plan their travel. Few colleagues of mine are already glued to this thread. Rated as deserved.
Uprasenjit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2016, 14:55   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
I'm in the same boat as you... 7 years into the Fiesta 1.6S and the love affair doesn't seem to end. Getting very very tough to find an upgrade even with a bloated budget
streetfighter is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2016, 23:47   #45
BHPian

Wow! Absolutely fantastic pictures and loved the writeup! I am guessing that we will be seeing MJ in the future TLs too! The Figo looks absolutely gorgeous, as always.

Also, driving downhill with a heavy foot on the brakes seems to be so common. I have seen tons of chauffeurs who mainly drive in urban conditions and call themselves "experienced" do this mistake thereby causing harm to the brakes and ultimately making the drive less safe. It's high time that they are taught their lessons.

Drive safe, keep revvin' and keep writing.

Warm regards,
Neel
petrolhead_neel is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote