Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 23rd June 2016, 12:35   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Ladakh Reloaded: 4 friends, a Figo Aspire & an Amaze

Brilliant travelogue once again Dada. Most of the people try to get Leh'd once in a life time and you have already done it twice. Hats of to your spirit. Rated 5*.

How different was your experience from the first time ? I am sure it was way better and relaxed this time ?

I can see your schedule was too tight and you didnt keep any day as buffer. You drove everyday. Was it because you have already been there ? Or you had limited time ?

And too bad that you couldnt make it to Zanskar. Where were you suppose to stay at Zanskar ?
Uprasenjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 12:41   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely travelogue there. It never stops raining and when it does, it rains Ladadkh Travelogues .

The best part is the fact that off late, we have seen cars of almost every make enter this part of the country and return successfully - Nikhil's Honda Civic and Gannu's Polo for instance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Whats nice is how effortlessly you guys manage 15-20 days of hard travel and soak it all in the fun. I guess thats the best part of travel by road and to make your own plans as per the day and see what you want.
One of my friend is now between Delhi returning to Bangalore after venturing here via Jammu and then Manali with 3 kids in a Tata Safari and more than Him or his Endurance, I salute the Kids and the mother who has been totally energetic to manage the whole show!

Even today, I am not sure if my better half can manage that drive but more than sure that my daughter will. Its all beyond just planning the trip - More about having the right mindsets to be able to travel with a lot of risks - Temperature, Bad Road, Longest Traffic Jams, Landslides, AMS etc.

Quote:
Also looks like going from Jammu side makes more sense compared to Manali.
Usually its Via Jammu for onward and via Manali for return mainly because you get to stay at Keylong between Leh and Manali for the night. That place makes more sense and hence the clockwise circuit.

We did it the other way round climbing up from Manali and ended up staying at Sarchu which wasnn't a bad decision at all.

Quote:
Getting stuck on the last hurdle rather than the first seems easier?
For us, it was the hurdles first. Bad roads greeted us right from Rohtang onwards all the way till Moor Planes. So we got so used to 1st-2nd gear run and river crossings then that even a bad road where we could slot into 3rd and 4th was an expressway for then .

After this, returning via traditional Jammu was also a cakewalk with only Zozilla pass which we passed in under 20 minutes with hardly any vehicles and in darkness! The twist in the take was taking the Mughal Road from Srinagar to Jammu due to blockades due to the floods in 2014.

OT, This was also applicable when we did the GQ - Finish the denser sections & bad patches first and then return peacefully through a known territory. The first time we did was when we were totally clueless on whats coming up between Delhi-Kol- Vizag-Chennai.

Somehow, I prefer the hurdles first than the good parts.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 12:50   #18
Senior - BHPian

Nice crisp Travelogue! Goes to show how accessible this route has become now a days. I like it!

Great pics too! Thanks for sharing, guys.

Quote:
looks like going from Jammu side makes more sense compared to Manali. Getting stuck on the last hurdle rather than the first seems easier? And of course the Pangong-Hanle-Tso Moriri-Debring section is a great one to read about. Lets see what I can get there.
yes ampere, your observations are correct. Srinagar route is relatively easier, both for men and machines. Its smoother climb, so less chances of getting hit by severe AMS and roads are in pretty good condition overall.
Ace F355 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 13:26   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecars21 View Post
‘Ladakh Again’! This was the reaction when I popped the proposal of yet another Ladakh trip to my family and friends. But thanks to common friend Arnab Mukherjee (driving from Bangalore), fellow BHpian Santanu Chakraborty (driving from Kolkata) and my super crazy wife (the backbone of all my trips), the Ladakh Reloaded 2016 plan started to unfold its wings.
very well detailed Arun !! loaded with information awesome !!!

Last edited by ampere : 23rd June 2016 at 13:43. Reason: Removed quoted content
SanC is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 14:17   #20
BHPian

Amazing write up Arun! That's one memorable experience!

Knowing Arnab personally (live in the same apartment), I believe it was a dream come true moment for him!
vinair is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 14:29   #21
BHPian

Super pics and super coverage .. You have made the itinerary look very exciting.. Wish you many more such miles to go and thanks for sharing !
STraiTDriVE is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 14:31   #22
BHPian

Quote:

Bye bye till madness strikes again..
Live to Drive!!
Amazing photologue! Congratulations on achieving this feat. I would really like to hear more on how did the Aspire perform during entire trip. I am planning for it as my next car.
saurabh041086 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 15:22   #23
BHPian

Quote:
‘Ladakh Again’! This was the reaction when I popped the proposal of yet another Ladakh trip to my family and friends.
Excellent travelogue mate!!! Thanks for the valuable information and amazing photographs. Have also gone through your previous travelogue on Ladakh when you went on a Ford Figo. A road trip to Ladakh is on my itinerary since long and after reading your fantastic experience the wish has only become more stronger. Hope to hear more from you. Keep posting. GODSPEED
ssambyal1980 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 15:29   #24
BHPian

Looks like the travelogues have started for the year!

Well written travelogue and nice pictures.

Your last years Figo thread had given me enough confidence to plan a trip to Leh this year in my hatchback, given how the taxi unions there have turned against self-drive vehicles.

I am planning to take either my Swift or Etios Liva sometime in the second half of September. In split minds over which one to take w.r.t. ground clearance. The Swift would have been the natural choice given the tighter driving experience, but its tires have run 37k kms already, with reasonable amount of treads still left, but not so much as to inspire confidence on such a trip, and do not want to change them prematurely. The Liva on the other hand is just 6 months and 10k kms old.

While on paper, the ground clearance for both is 170 cms, the Liva seems to bottom out more easily on unusually tall speed bumps with a full load, while the Swift has never touched her belly anywhere so far.
Sinner666 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 15:30   #25
BHPian

Excellent and inspiring travelogue. Thanks for sharing.
basubhatta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 15:42   #26
BHPian

Awesome travelogue. Congratulations on completing a amazing trip. I have been planning a trip like this for so many years now. Just does not work out.
mangespat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 16:47   #27
Senior - BHPian

An awesome Triplog, almost relived our own visit to the Ladakh region and am thankful to you for refreshing that memory with stunning pictures.

Congratulations to both you and your friend for enjoying this on these vehicles. You proved once again that all that matters is the spirit and the grit and not be restricted by choice of Machinery.

The Red Ford looks awesome against the backdrop.

Wishing both you and your wife many many more of such adventures in the future and keep us enlightened/entertained in the process.

Quote:
The locals warned that the road from Parkachik to Padum (approx. 150 kms) is even worse and is strictly meant for 4x4 vehicles. That’s the main reason I wanted to drive to Padum but my bad luck. Next time it would be in my priority list.
Its not a 4x4 only track, unless its snowed previous night or there is black ice. The problem point was a stretch beyond Parkachik, where the road is level with the Suru river. There, it could actually get tricky towards the second half of the day, if there is substantial ice-melt coming down on a particular day.
1100D is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 20:22   #28
BHPian

Truly 5 star travelogue. Being an Aspire owner, I am super happy to see the Aspire touch the Himalayas . It would be great if you can share how it handled the tough conditions. The Suru Valley and Pangong lake photos are marvelous. Paradise indeed. Thanks for sharing your experience.
sudhirnam is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 21:09   #29
BHPian

This is a wonderful TL. Having been to Leh a couple of times I can say most cars if driven carefully should be able to make it. Leh itself has Hyundai and Maruti showrooms now.

The good part is our regular sedans are doing this now. No the roads have not substantially improved (save for some areas) - I will credit the driver in that terrain.

I was aware of the Wari La route but not the one you have taken. Always great to see new discovery - ad above all in your cars.

The pictures have come out crisp and in good light. Yes Leh is a place where even regular mobile pictures can also come out well but I loved the pictures.

We appreciate you sharing this TL. Rated 5 stars

Cheers

Rajain
Rajain is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 21:25   #30
BHPian

Smile Re: Ladakh Reloaded: 4 friends, a Figo Aspire & an Amaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
The pictures are amazing. Keep traveling & keep writing !!
Regards,
Pawan
Thanks Pawan for appreciating. Would have been great if we could drive together this time.

Quote:
Also looks like going from Jammu side makes more sense compared to Manali. Getting stuck on the last hurdle rather than the first seems easier? And of course the Pangong-Hanle-Tso Moriri-Debring section is a great one to read about. Lets see what I can get there.
Thanks for liking my travelogue. I agree with you regarding driving to Leh via Jammu and return via Manali.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayankara View Post
Also share the Itinerary of your friend who travelled from Bangalore till he met you.
Thanks. Here goes the itinerary of Arnab from Bangalore:

Day 1: 18th May: Bangalore to Davangere 271 kms
Day 2: 19th May: Davangere to Dhule 1037 kms
Day 3: 20th May: Dhule to Jaipur 905 kms
Day 4: 21st May: Jaipur to Amritsar 409 kms
Day 5: 22nd May: Amritsar to Srinagar 469 kms
Day 6: 23rd May: Srinagar to Sonamarg 80 kms
Day 7: 24th May: Sonamarg to Kargil 215 kms
Day 8: 25th May: Kargil to Parkachik and back to Lamayuru 264 kms
Day 9: 26th May: Lamayuru to Leh 146 kms
Day 10: 27th May: Leh to Turtuk via Diskit, Hunder 211 kms
Day 11: 28th May: Turtuk rest day
Day 12: 29th May: Turtuk to Pangong via Sheyok river route 258 kms
Day 13: 30th May: Pangong to Hanle via Chushul route 166 kms
Day 14: 31st May: Hanle to Tso Moriri 168 kms
Day 15: 1st June: Tso Moriri to Keylong 327 kms
Day 16: 2nd June: Keylong to Mandi 223 kms
Day 17: 3rd June: Mandi to Agra 651 kms
Day 18: 4th June: Agra to Bhangarh and back to Agra 418 kms
Day 19: 5th June: Agra to Seoni 674 kms
Day 20: 6th June: Seoni to Hyderabad 802 kms
Day 21: 7th June: Hyderabad to Bangalore 578 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointZero View Post
Simply Superb LoveCars21,
Thanks you Tutai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uprasenjit View Post
How different was your experience from the first time ? I am sure it was way better and relaxed this time ?
I can see your schedule was too tight and you didnt keep any day as buffer. You drove everyday. Was it because you have already been there ? Or you had limited time ?
And too bad that you couldnt make it to Zanskar. Where were you suppose to stay at Zanskar ?
Thanks for liking Prasenjit.
Ladakh is a place where you will get different views and challenges every time you visit.
Relaxed, sure I was! Nature and mountains are perfect for shedding all your worries and tension.
It is hard to get so many days off hence whenever I plan I keep it tight.
Zanskar stay would have been booked on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

Somehow, I prefer the hurdles first than the good parts.
Thanks for appreciating my TL. Different people have different views. Some prefer hurdles first; some while returning(after enjoying every moment of the drive).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Nice crisp Travelogue! Goes to show how accessible this route has become now a days. I like it!
Thanks for liking.
Ladakh was never inaccessible, it was tough before and now it is not easy, that's the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanC View Post
very well detailed Arun !! loaded with information awesome !!!
Santanu da thanks for liking. Would have been fun if you could have accompanied us. As per our plan would have played cricket with your son near Pangong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
Knowing Arnab personally (live in the same apartment), I believe it was a dream come true moment for him!
Sure, it was a dream come true! Last time when I completed the circuit I was in seventh heaven, so I can understand what Arnab is going through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STraiTDriVE View Post
Super pics and super coverage ..
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh041086 View Post
Amazing photologue! Congratulations on achieving this feat. I would really like to hear more on how did the Aspire perform during entire trip. I am planning for it as my next car.
Aspire as a car from Ford family has a perfect engine for such terrain. 100ps power with good GC is perfect ingredient for Ladakh offbeat routes.
As mentioned in my TL I was first worried about the body roll.
Previously driving it even on the highway was tiresome and stressful. After fitting RogerAB it solved the problem and now feels better than Figo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssambyal1980 View Post
Excellent travelogue mate!!!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner666 View Post
Well written travelogue and nice pictures.

While on paper, the ground clearance for both is 170 cms, the Liva seems to bottom out more easily on unusually tall speed bumps with a full load, while the Swift has never touched her belly anywhere so far.
Thanks. Any car is good enough for Ladakh just that one needs to drive carefully. Last year a Range Rover owner came to us after crossing Zojila and told us that it had got some bad underbelly hits and challenged me that I would not be able to do it in my Figo. I crossed Zojila without a single hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basubhatta View Post
Excellent and inspiring travelogue. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangespat View Post
I have been planning a trip like this for so many years now. Just does not work out.
Thanks for appreciating. Wish you fulfill your dreams soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
An awesome Triplog, almost relived our own visit to the Ladakh region and am thankful to you for refreshing that memory with stunning pictures.

Its not a 4x4 only track, unless its snowed previous night or there is black ice. The problem point was a stretch beyond Parkachik, where the road is level with the Suru river. There, it could actually get tricky towards the second half of the day, if there is substantial ice-melt coming down on a particular day.
Thanks Anirban da for liking my TL. As far as my experience goes 4x4 only track is Sandakhphu. Its tough and scary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhirnam View Post
It would be great if you can share how it handled the tough conditions. The Suru Valley and Pangong lake photos are marvelous. Paradise indeed. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Aspire proved that it comes from Ford family. It handled the terrain perfectly. No power loss in high altitude. Steering through rocks was cream with EPS stability system. Minor issues like that of air filter getting choked is common. Mileage was good enough considering the terrain and on the highways doing 100-120 kmph with 100% AC. The deadly looks of the car with GT logo actually attracted many eyes.
After returning from 6k+ kms drive there is not a single rattling sound from the car. Thumbs up to FORD.
lovecars21 is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote