Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 26th June 2016, 20:27   #1
BHPian

Default Day trip: Guwahati to Nganglam (south-east Bhutan) in a Ford Figo

For us Guwahatians a weekend trip mostly means a trip to Shillong or Cherrapunji. Me being no different also make 4-5 trips to Shillong and its nearby areas every year. But I also have such a soft corner for Nganglam which is about 150 kms from Guwahati and located in south east Bhutan. I have made two previous visits to that place, both solo bike trips and I just love that place and its serenity.

This time accompanying me on this trip was my brand new Ford Figo Tdci. Its the first trip of this beast and I have no words to say about the experience and the performance of the beast.

The trip was planned suddenly, had a wedding to attend the previous night and was supposed to stay up late. But returned early from the wedding and the travel bug bit me, and in no time decided to revisit Nganglam again.

Started from Guwahati at about 9AM, being early and thanks to the new junction at Jalukbari, I didn't encounter the infamous traffic jam of saraighat bridge. And soon I crossed passed Rangiya, Nalbari and Pathsala and into the Indo-Bhutan highway. Roads till Indo-Bhutan highway is four laned and in top shape. The Indo-Bhutan highway is two laned but is super smooth and a dream to drive on. From pathsala its about 34 kms of Indo-Bhutan highway till Bhutan border.

Some pictures of the Indo Bhutan Highway and natural beauty on the Indo bhutan Highway.

Day trip: Guwahati to Nganglam (south-east Bhutan) in a Ford Figo-img_20160611_112558.jpg

Day trip: Guwahati to Nganglam (south-east Bhutan) in a Ford Figo-img_20160611_112627.jpg

Day trip: Guwahati to Nganglam (south-east Bhutan) in a Ford Figo-img_20160611_112641.jpg

Day trip: Guwahati to Nganglam (south-east Bhutan) in a Ford Figo-img_20160611_112933.jpg

Day trip: Guwahati to Nganglam (south-east Bhutan) in a Ford Figo-img_20160611_113007.jpg

Day trip: Guwahati to Nganglam (south-east Bhutan) in a Ford Figo-img_20160611_114514.jpg

Day trip: Guwahati to Nganglam (south-east Bhutan) in a Ford Figo-img_20160611_114634.jpg

Day trip: Guwahati to Nganglam (south-east Bhutan) in a Ford Figo-img_20160611_114704.jpg

Day trip: Guwahati to Nganglam (south-east Bhutan) in a Ford Figo-img_20160611_114728.jpg

The Highway starts to deteriorate only you enter Bhutan, and becomes worse at few stretches. One km into the Bhutan border there is the checkpost and welcome gate. For getting a permit we just need to present the DL and RC of the vehicle, and Govt recognized photo Ids of the persons entering Bhutan. Its a hassle free process and takes hardly 5 mins. They would ask upto which area you want to travel to, and as per that they would mention the area name in the permit. I got permit upto Dungsam cement factory. This whole area is running mostly because of this cement factory only.

Day trip: Guwahati to Nganglam (south-east Bhutan) in a Ford Figo-img_20160611_141749.jpg

Day trip: Guwahati to Nganglam (south-east Bhutan) in a Ford Figo-img_20160611_141900.jpg

Bhutan is a tobacco free country so its prohibited to smoke in public or use any tobacco products, they do check the vehiche for any illegal things.

After a drive of about 8 kms we enter the town of Nganglam. Its a quiet sleepy town and right in the middle of it is a beautiful Buddha temple. Its right next to the road and hence I could take my car as close to it possible. Some pictures of the temple and my beast.

Day trip: Guwahati to Nganglam (south-east Bhutan) in a Ford Figo-img_20160611_133656.jpgDay trip: Guwahati to Nganglam (south-east Bhutan) in a Ford Figo-img_20160611_133719.jpgDay trip: Guwahati to Nganglam (south-east Bhutan) in a Ford Figo-img_20160611_133954.jpgDay trip: Guwahati to Nganglam (south-east Bhutan) in a Ford Figo-img_20160611_134238.jpgDay trip: Guwahati to Nganglam (south-east Bhutan) in a Ford Figo-img_20160611_134355.jpgDay trip: Guwahati to Nganglam (south-east Bhutan) in a Ford Figo-img_20160611_134523.jpgDay trip: Guwahati to Nganglam (south-east Bhutan) in a Ford Figo-img_20160611_134537.jpg

After clicking some photographs I proceeded towards the Dungsam cement factory just to have a look and refresh the memories. It is about 5 kms from Nganglam town. Had lunch in Nganglam and started for Guwahati. Currency of Bhutan and India have same value, so Indian currency is accepted everywhere. While returning we again have to enter detials while leaving and submit the permit to the patrolling personal at the checkpost. Takes hardly two minutes.

Day trip: Guwahati to Nganglam (south-east Bhutan) in a Ford Figo-img_20160611_141938.jpgDay trip: Guwahati to Nganglam (south-east Bhutan) in a Ford Figo-img_20160611_143334.jpgDay trip: Guwahati to Nganglam (south-east Bhutan) in a Ford Figo-img_20160611_143345.jpg

After a boring two and half hour drive was back in home by 4:30 pm. This concluded my third trip to this part of Bhutan and my first with my beast.

This is really a good gate-away from Guwahati, and I hope some more awareness about this spot will attract more tourists and make this place even better.

Last edited by miles_hungry : 27th June 2016 at 11:05.
miles_hungry is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2016, 08:35   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Day trip: Guwahati to Nganglam (south-east Bhutan) in a Ford Figo

Thread moved from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section) to the Travelogues Section. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2016, 09:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Day trip: Guwahati to Nganglam (south-east Bhutan) in a Ford Figo

A great trip report and an eye opener. Do post some more details. From this entry is the ingress limited or we can proceed to any part of Bhutan through this gate? If yes it will save a lot of time and detour via Pshling to explore the eastern part of this country.

Last edited by GTO : 28th June 2016 at 10:13. Reason: Please share information here itself, not external groups (e.g. FB, whatsapp). Thanks
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2016, 20:47   #4
BHPian

Default Re: Day trip: Guwahati to Nganglam (south-east Bhutan) in a Ford Figo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
From this entry is the ingress limited or we can proceed to any part of Bhutan through this gate? If yes it will save a lot of time and detour via Pshling to explore the eastern part of this country.
Entry is limited till Dungsam cement factory in north side and upto Panbang in the western side. It is not connected to Thimpu, it is blocked by mountains. People from this part of Bhutan have access to Thimphu only via Assam n WB thru Phuntsholing.
miles_hungry is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2016, 21:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles_hungry View Post
Entry is limited till Dungsam cement factory in north side and upto Panbang in the western side. It is not connected to Thimpu, it is blocked by mountains. People from this part of Bhutan have access to Thimphu only via Assam n WB thru Phuntsholing.
It seems you are familiar with the area. Can you give more details as to what to see and places to stay in this area? The cement factory has a guesthouse? Do they allow guests? Sorry for so many questions but you are the only guy around who may know the answer.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2016, 22:55   #6
BHPian

Places of interest would include the Buddhist temple, a small lake with tons of fish, a view point of the valley (Eagle view point or something, not able to recollect the exact name), the cement factory. The cement factory is not open for visitors, its a massive one though. Its worth seeing from outside. I don't think it would have a guest house, even if it does have one...I am pretty sure it wont be for general public.

I haven't noticed any proper hotel there. Its a very small town, it might have some sort of lodge but that too I haven't noticed. Also for overnight stay we might need special permit at the border checkpost.

Some pictures of the lake from my previous trip
Day trip: Guwahati to Nganglam (south-east Bhutan) in a Ford Figo-100_4982.jpgDay trip: Guwahati to Nganglam (south-east Bhutan) in a Ford Figo-100_4987.jpg

This part of Bhutan wont be advisable/suitable for overnight stay, its best for a day trip from Guwahati. The natural beauty is mesmerizing as the hills are untouched and the Indo-Bhutan is a bliss to drive on. Also the feeling to drive into a foreign country is priceless.
miles_hungry is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2016, 20:43   #7
BHPian

Lovely place. Need to do this trip coming Sunday. What say @Wanderernomad
pduttaghy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote