Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 27th June 2016, 20:45   #1
BHPian

Default Mid-Day drive to Seethargundu

Had just come home after a long journey the previous night. So got up late. Had a late and sumptuous breakfast with some hot Mom made pooris and tea. By the time me and my dad finished breakfast and gone through all the available news papers, the clock rang 12pm.

It was a lazy Sunday afternoon. There was slight drizzle in the air. Cloudy skies. Cold surroundings. The monsoon had set in over Palakkad but seemed to be reluctant to unleash it's monsters fully. The Sunday supplement of news paper featured an article about a man who traveled the whole world on a bicycle.

This again got our adrenaline rushing. Time was against us as I had to return back to Bangalore the same night due to compulsions at office. So a long trip was ruled out. Then immediately a sign board struck my memory some where from the dungeons of my brain. It read "Seethargundu".

It was near by my home. But we have never been there before. So put forward this proposal to my dad and he agreed. In minutes we were off in our Maruti 800.

Obviously many people who know Palakkad will know the name Seethargundu. It is a famous view point up in the Nelliyampathy hills. But this time we were not heading up the hills. We were heading to it's foothills.. The place where the waterfall from Seethargundu touches the ground. It is located 7kms away from Kollengode. Couldn't find the exact route in Google Maps. But the location was somewhere around here.

Mid-Day drive to Seethargundu-route-chinganchira.jpg

Soon after crossing Kollengode town the sign board showing Seethargundu towards right will appear. The name of that place is Kuruvi koodu maram or KK maram in Malayalam. Meaning a tree with many sparrow nests. Couldn't find any nests there at present. May be in older times it had many.

Took the right turn and went through many small villages like Nenmeni, Konganchaathi to reach a point where the road forks into two. Saw a small sign board which directed us towards the right to the waterfalls.

The road was narrow and passed through lush green paddy fields. The sight of paddy fields dotted with palm trees in the back drop of the majestic mountains was a sight to behold. Walked through the fields and took some snaps.

That's where we are headed. To the foothills of that waterfalls..

Mid-Day drive to Seethargundu-road-thru-paddy-fields-1.jpg

Mid-Day drive to Seethargundu-road-thru-paddy-fields-2.jpg

The driver might have gone for lunch

Mid-Day drive to Seethargundu-road-thru-paddy-fields-3.jpg

800 parked near the fields

Mid-Day drive to Seethargundu-road-thru-paddy-fields-4.jpg

Mid-Day drive to Seethargundu-road-thru-paddy-fields-5min.jpg

Mid-Day drive to Seethargundu-road-thru-paddy-fields-6min.jpg

Dad taking some snaps

Mid-Day drive to Seethargundu-road-thru-paddy-fields-7min.jpg

Mid-Day drive to Seethargundu-road-thru-paddy-fields-8min.jpg

Reached the waterfalls at 12.45pm. There were lots of bikes parked near a small canal.

Mid-Day drive to Seethargundu-parking-areamin.jpg

Parked the car and headed towards the waterfalls.

Mid-Day drive to Seethargundu-small-canalmin.jpg

Mid-Day drive to Seethargundu-walk-1min.jpg

Mid-Day drive to Seethargundu-capturing-fallsmin.jpg

The falls viewed from a distance

Mid-Day drive to Seethargundu-falls-distancemin.jpg

Rain played hide n seek with us.

Mid-Day drive to Seethargundu-rain-hide-n-seek-1min.jpg

Mid-Day drive to Seethargundu-rain-hide-n-seek-2min.jpg

The surroundings were dense forests.

Mid-Day drive to Seethargundu-rain-hide-n-seek-3min.jpg

Mid-Day drive to Seethargundu-rain-hide-n-seek-4min.jpg

Mid-Day drive to Seethargundu-dense-forests-1min.jpg

Mid-Day drive to Seethargundu-dense-forests-2min.jpg

Saw many squirrels and a jungle fowl. Here's an interesting onlooker.

Mid-Day drive to Seethargundu-curious-onlookermin.jpg

Had to walk for nearly half a kilometer to reach the falls.

Mid-Day drive to Seethargundu-entry-fallsmin.jpg

Proceeded towards the waterfalls. Thanks to the rain, water was sufficiently available.

Mid-Day drive to Seethargundu-falls-1.jpg

There were many people bathing. Couldn't resist the temptation to take a plunge.

Mid-Day drive to Seethargundu-falls-2min.jpg

Mid-Day drive to Seethargundu-falls-3min.jpg

The air was pristine and the water was pure and cold. Took a dip and splashed around for nearly an hour. This was like playing around in a natural water theme park.

All tiredness gone and mind and body refreshed, took the way back. By this time it was 3.15pm. People have already started thronging the place. Weekend rush may be.

Took some snaps while returning.

Mid-Day drive to Seethargundu-paddy-fields-1min.jpg

Our tummies were hungry and hence decided to call it a day and drove back home.

This ends our short but memorable trip.

Total distance covered: 38 kms.

Overall trip rating:
Roads: 3/5
Scenery: 4/5
Adventure: 3.5/5
Enjoyment: 5/5
Memories: Priceless!!
i20ian is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2016, 21:33   #2
BHPian

Very nice description and photos ! I almost felt like being there. Thanks for sharing. Going by the snaps the fall seems to be a vertical descend of few hundred feets. Does it involve further climbing to reach the spot from where you can get the full view of the fall ?
pgupta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2016, 21:35   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Mid-Day drive to Seethargundu

Wonderful short trip, amazing environments.
Thanks for sharing with us .
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2016, 22:23   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgupta View Post
Very nice description and photos ! I almost felt like being there. Thanks for sharing. Going by the snaps the fall seems to be a vertical descend of few hundred feets. Does it involve further climbing to reach the spot from where you can get the full view of the fall ?
Thanks.. The falls are indeed a vertical descend and further climbing is required to reach its bottom most point. But that area is in restricted forest area. Due to time constraints couldn't explore that much. Will surely try out next time.
i20ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2016, 08:10   #5
BHPian

Interesting travelogue. I had no idea that one could go to the base of Seethargundu.
tomraven99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote