Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 12th July 2016, 15:50   #1
h14
BHPian

Talking Breakfast Drive to Valparai!

Some of you might have heard of people poking fun that Coimbatore folks visit Ooty just to sip some tea and so on! This time we did something in the similar lines. A drive to valparai for breakfast

The unplanned itinerary in short:
  • Start from Coimbatore 6:15 AM
  • Breakfast at Valparai
  • Tea at Waterfall
  • Lunch at Pollachi
  • Back home in Coimbatore by 2:45 PM in time for the late afternoon nap

I had the wonderful company of Manoj and Pradeep; fellow FIAT'ians from Coimbatore.

Ever since the monsoon started, we had been planning on a hill run, the thirst for that grew more after our ooty ride when the climate was pretty average, infact it was hot in the day. With Ramzan holiday falling in the middle of the week, we made this drive possible with very few planning on the previous evening.

Finally, it was 3 guys in 3 cars. Who would miss an opportunity to drive on those wonderful ghats!

Plan was to start early so as to beat the traffic on the Pollachi road. We gathered at Ukkadam and after tanking up, started off in no time. It has been years since I was able to cover Coimbatore-Pollachi in under 1 hour. We did in 39mins to be precise, thanks to the early morning start and importantly the festive holiday helped.

It was non stop drive till aliyar. We took a small break near the dam gate to discuss on the plans. Crossed the check post and stopped near the other end of the dam for some pics and then it was non-stop to Waterfall. We were too early and so missed out on the tea there and hence proceeded directly to Valparai without further stops.

Clicks from the first stop:

Breakfast Drive to Valparai!-1.jpg

Breakfast Drive to Valparai!-2.jpg

Breakfast Drive to Valparai!-3.jpg

Breakfast Drive to Valparai!-4.jpg

Breakfast Drive to Valparai!-5.jpg

This is one place we don't get tired of visiting! Brilliant roads, wonderful climate, extremely well mannered trucks and buses, what more can one ask for. To top it up it was drizzling for a while until mist took over!

We were now getting hungry as well, so didn't even bother to stop for pics with the mist. Another reason was that we weren't comfortable to park in such poor visibility as it will be difficult for the other motorists to sight us too. Visibility was very minimal and could hardly see few yards ahead. Hence it was very slow watchful driving for sometime.

That's how visibility was: (looks brighter in pic)

Breakfast Drive to Valparai!-6.jpg

Entered Valparai at a little over 9am and there was pin drop silence! Never seen the town so quite! Maybe the climate and also the local holiday added to this. Majority of the shops remained shut. We were driving slowly through the town looking out for a place to eat. At the back of my mind was thinking of the hotel where I dined some 8 yrs back when I visited valparai for the first time (that was a trial run in my restored Uno).

Found the place and it was open! Yea, was worried on seeing most of the shops shut. Parking was difficult despite of no people movement (parking here is predominantly in the streets). Had to cross the town and park some 1 km away where some trucks were parked.

Had lip smacking appams and dosas.

Breakfast Drive to Valparai!-7.jpg

Breakfast Drive to Valparai!-8.jpg

After a very content breakfast, we left the 2 Linea's there and went on a drive up to Mudis in the Punto. Both the Linea's were let to rest in the cold weather which they hardly encounter. It was a slow drive through the estates. Went up to the Mudis cricket ground, spent some time and headed back to Valparai.

Few clicks @ Mudis

That's how the ground would be during the monsoons, the changeover would be drastic during the playing season in summer!

Breakfast Drive to Valparai!-9.jpg

Breakfast Drive to Valparai!-10.jpg

What next was the question in our minds, one suggested returning back to Coimbatore via Athirapally, I wasn't too keen on that due to the time factor and also being unaware of the road conditions. So finally we decided to head back in the same route to lunch at Pollachi.

We started to descend and it was a surprise to see the mist spreads were still there! Though it wasn't as dark as it was in the morning, it was still heavy but with improved visibility (time was approx 11:30 am). We decided to stop for pictures in safe spots. Spent decent time there and then the next stop was planned to be in Waterfall for tea.

Clicks from the mist zone:

Breakfast Drive to Valparai!-11.jpg

Breakfast Drive to Valparai!-12.jpg

Breakfast Drive to Valparai!-13.jpg

Breakfast Drive to Valparai!-14.jpg

Breakfast Drive to Valparai!-15.jpg

Breakfast Drive to Valparai!-16.jpg

Breakfast Drive to Valparai!-17.jpg

Breakfast Drive to Valparai!-18.jpg

Reached waterfall and the place was overcrowded, so we had to kill some time for the crowd to move before grabbing some tea and hot vada's.

Breakfast Drive to Valparai!-19.jpg

We then got our turn after about 15 mins. By this time the rains started again and so after some quick purchase of tea dust, we were back to driving. Roads remained relatively free and we reached aliyar comfortably. Now the sun started belting down and by the time we reached pollachi, the temperature was back in the high 30's it was rather close to 37. Headed to Ashok for lunch post which we split ways and reached Coimbatore in time for our late afternoon nap.

This has by far been the fastest and shortest Valparai drives for me, so the travelogue too had to be short.

Trip Logs

My Linea:
Breakfast Drive to Valparai!-cbevalparaicbe.jpg

Pradeep's Linea:
Breakfast Drive to Valparai!-pradeep.jpg

Manoj's Punto:
Name:  manoj.jpg
Views: 1486
Size:  42.0 KB
h14 is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2016, 15:16   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Breakfast Drive to Valparai!

Nice Log H14, zingnnu poi zangnnu vanthutteenga....Nice pictures, especially the Mudis Ground and the Fiats lining up on the return journey....Knowing people from my region, I suspect this was a trip planned to have Lunch at Ashoka, Pollachi. Suspect Valparai was an excuse...
venkatt1800 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2016, 15:43   #3
h14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatt1800 View Post
Nice Log H14, zingnnu poi zangnnu vanthutteenga....Nice pictures, especially the Mudis Ground and the Fiats lining up on the return journey....Knowing people from my region, I suspect this was a trip planned to have Lunch at Ashoka, Pollachi. Suspect Valparai was an excuse...
Haha, not really. Valparai was the target, once we reached there didn't know what else to do and so decided to feast in Ashok
h14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2016, 20:29   #4
Team-BHP Support

Nice snaps and a perfect reason to drive. Its an awesome place to go to. So where next? Parambikulam?
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2016, 20:40   #5
h14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Nice snaps and a perfect reason to drive. Its an awesome place to go to. So where next? Parambikulam?
Thx ampere! Now back to the hot and humid Chennai. Planning to hit Yercaud this weekend
h14 is offline   Reply With Quote