Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 19th July 2016, 23:16   #1
BHPian

Default XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule

Summary of the trip
  • Places covered in this trip from Delhi – Shirdi, Shani Singnapur, Aundh Nagnath, Parli Vaijnath, Ambejogai, Pandharpur, Kudala Sangama, Bangalore, Navagraha Sthalams, Kolhapur Mahalakshmi Temple, Ganapathipule, Mumbai – Delhi.
  • Total days – 15 (21-Dec-13 to 4-Jan-14)
  • Total distance traveled - 6,600 km
  • Total Toll Paid from Delhi to Bangalore to Navagraha Sthalams & back to Delhi - ₹4,272
  • Total Parking paid - ₹320
  • States travelled – Delhi, Haryana, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Karnataka, Tamilnadu

Prelude

Its time now to get ready for this long trip. The first task for me was to get the roof carrier or railing for XUV fixed. Though we were four of us (my parents, my wife and me) travelling from Delhi, my mother-in-law and nephew also had plans to join us at Shirdi (they were travelling by train from Bangalore to Koopergaon). This was a first venture for both my parents and us on this long drive from Delhi to Bangalore covering a distance of more than 6,000 Km. Though our parents have travelled with us on our various pilgrimage trips from Delhi to Kashi - Gaya - Baidyanath (Jharkhand) & back, Dwarka (Gujarath) and Badrinath (Uttarkhand) but this was the longest trip considering our further travel down-south to Navagraha temples in Tamilnadu.

XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule-20131215_003.jpg

This photo taken at Mahindra showroom while the roof carrier is being fitted on the roof top. The roof carrier really proved to be quite useful for our trip with our luggage tied on roof so that we get good room space inside the car. Also at various places, we pulled down one the middle & rear seat, making it a good flat surface for my father to lie down (we were also carrying durry, pillow & blanket to make it comfortable sleeping inside the XUV).

Few teasers (pics of the trip)
Attached Thumbnails
XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule-img_4220.jpg  

XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule-img_4243.jpg  

XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule-img_4336.jpg  

XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule-img_4406.jpg  

XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule-img_4338.jpg  

vittal is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2016, 23:26   #2
BHPian

Default re: XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule

Day 1

Summary of the day
  • Start time – 5:00 am at Delhi
  • Places visited enroute - nil
  • Places of stay - Ratlam
  • Time of arrival at the destination – 8:00 pm at Ratlam
  • Total Distance travelled during the day – 800 km

We had an early start leaving our residence at 5:00 am, taking few breaks for breakfast & lunch, crossing Jaipur toll plaza at 11:00am and the last toll plaza of the day Mandsour to Jaora at 7:20 pm. Not much photos taken during the day as we have covered this route few times travelling from Delhi to Jaipur / Udaipur / Ahmedabad / Mumbai few times. We stayed at hotel Ratlam. The dinner at 8pm was fine for us at the hotel after a long day, covering a total distance of approx. 800 Km.

XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule-img_4195.jpg

At the start of our trip, the photo was taken on the highway while have a quick break (I recollect it was change of guard when my wife took over on the wheels while I take a nap). You will notice the luggage cover the roof carrier. I realized that it does take lots of efforts to tie the cover, though the cover eventually gave way due to heavy wind in this long drive. We did not face any rain falls during this trip but decided to cover the luggage to protect it from dust etc.
vittal is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2016, 08:21   #3
BHPian

Default re: XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule

Day 2

Summary of the day
  • Start time – 6:00 am at Ratlam
  • Places visited – Shirdi
  • Time of arrival at the destination – 4:00 pm at Shirdi
  • Total Distance traveled during the day – 460 km

When we took a break on the way to have breakfast & tea at a dhaba after driving from Ratlam for couple of hours, we were all excited to find a dozen of puppies with its mother. Adorable plumpy pups.
XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule-img_4204.jpg

Feeling excited with the playful puppies

Roads enroute from Ratlam, MP (before entering into Maharashtra), a couple of hours after having our breakfast.

XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule-img_4205.jpg

Locals carrying their stuff, early morning enroute from Ratlam (while entering into Maharashtra).

XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule-img_4206.jpg

XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule-img_4207.jpg

Dhule Palesner Toolway – Dhule 82 Km away and Shirdi 200 Km away

XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule-img_4208.jpg

Its good to find parents being happy after having our lunch at a pure veg hotel enroute Shirdi. After a sumptuous lunch - entering Maharashtra.

XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule-img_4209.jpg

Though we left Ratlam early in the morning at 6:00 am, we had plans to reach Koopergoan before 2:00 pm to coincide with the arrival of my mil and nephew and to pick them up from the railway station. However, we found few jams on the way which delayed our arrival time. Also the roads from Ratlam till the toll road took time. The train reached on time and sensing we were still far from Koopergaon and will take more time to reach the railway station, we suggested mil & nephew to take an auto to reach Shirdi (we had already booked our rooms). We eventually reached Shirdi at 4pm.
vittal is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2016, 08:42   #4
BHPian

Day 3 –

Summary of the day
  • Start time – 6:00 am at Shirdi
  • Places visited – Shani Singnapur, Aundh Nagnath, Parli Vaijnath
  • Time of arrival at the destination – 9:00 pm at Parli
  • Total Distance traveled during the day – 520 km

We take an early start at 6:00 am from Shirdi with a target to cover 3 places Shani Singnapur and 2 of the Dwadash Jyotirlingas Aundh Nagnath, Parli Vaijnath in Maharashtra.

We have already visited the Nageshwar or Nagnath temple at Dwarka, Gujarat and Baijnath (as known for Vaijnath) at Giridi, Jharkhand. Realizing that Aundh & Parli are also considered Jyotirlingas in lieu of above, we decided to visit these temples as well as part of this trip. I realized that the roads leading to Aundh & Parli may not be a toll road and hence made an estimate time to reach these places, now knowing how good or bad these roads would be.

Dawn at Shani Singnapur, Maharashtra - The entrance gate to Shri Kshetra Shani Shingnapur.

XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule-img_4208.jpg

There is a common saying that Shingnapur is also known for the fact that houses in the village do not have doors but only door frames and that there are no thefts in the village. Shani Shingnapur is believed to be a Swyambhu or a self-emerged black stone.

Inside the temple of Shani Shingnapur.

XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule-img_4214.jpg

XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule-img_4216.jpg

We have noticed lots of changes in the place as compared to our earlier visit to this temple few years ago. In the earlier visit we had taken a shower (tap outside temple) and then came with wet clothes inside the temple to have darshan of the Lord Shani. This time we didn’t notice any such facility to have a shower. The oil for the idol is gathered in a common location which is then pumped to the idol (the main shrine of Shani).

We take a break to have a glass of sugarcane juice. Its time for some sugar cane juice - village outlet in Maharashtra. In discussion - ragas in carnatic music & singing the song enroute to Pandharpur.

XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule-img_4217.jpg

The session about music & ragas continues while the person is preparing sugarcane juice.

XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule-img_4218.jpg

We refueled on the way to Nagnath, tank full. Our drive till here was not great, forget about toll road, we found not so good road and traversing through too much slow moving vehicles. We were enquiring about the conditions of the roads further, while having a conversation with the attendant at the petrol pump. I was double minded on moving further on these roads and thought to skip one of the destinations and to do it later in another trip. The attendant at the petrol pump mentioned that its not easy for people to visit these places and we should give it a go to visit the Dwadash jyotirlingas. My wifey was of a similar opinion as coming again to such remote places will take few years if not months. Eventually I decided to go ahead with the suggestion & not miss this opportunity and it was a good decision to visit both the temples. The only flip side was that it took longer to travel on these road, reaching our last destination Parli after 9:00 pm and it proved to be a long day for us.

At Aundh Nagnath, devotees have to make their way through a narrow constricted steep steps leading down to the sanctum of the Jyotirling inside the cave. Getting down the steep staircase was a task specially for my parents. It was really difficult for all of us to really get down the staircase with the support of a rope. Bending down to the cave gave us the feeling of complete surrender to Nagnath.

The real loggerheads or Bull fight !!

XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule-img_4220.jpg

The temples normally close by 8pm. Upon enquiring from the locals we were told that the temple was still open past 10:00pm as it was “Somvar” - Monday. With elderly parents and not yet having dinner for the day, we mutually decided to have dinner first and then have darshan so that we can have an early start the next day for our next destination. Our dinner was at the local dhaba near the temple at 10:00 pm with some wait time for them to serve thali.

There were also a local bhajan group who rendered Shiva Bhajans with traditional instruments and rustic voices that resonated as we did our parikrama around the temple.

On the footsteps of the temple, feeling blessed after having darshan of Lord Shiva at Parli Vaidyanath.

XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule-img_4222.jpg
vittal is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2016, 08:55   #5
BHPian

Day 4 -

We had an early start at 7:00 am and by now were habituated to get up early and get ready to leave the place by 6am in order to avoid the city traffic.

Summary of the day
  • Start time – 7:00 am at Parli
  • Places visited – Ambajogai, Pandharpur
  • Time of arrival at the destination – 1:00 pm at Pandharpur
  • Total Distance travelled during the day – 300 km

Peacocks spotted enroute
XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule-img_4224.jpg

A conversation while stopping for an early breakfast at 7:30 am – musicians in discussion
XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule-img_4227.jpg

XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule-img_4229.jpg

At Gajanan Baba Aashram, around 2:30pm after reaching Pandharpur.

XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule-img_4231.jpg

It’s a huge ashram primarily catering to the devotees who come to visit the Vittal temple. No reservations are taken for the room and the stay is based on first-cum-first serve basis. The Aashram is quite neat and clean and also a canteen facility is provided in the premises where in the food served is excellent. A unique thing we noticed in this place is that one has to remove the footwear to go inside the canteen to have food. Lunch and dinner served are based on thali system and they take every care not to waste food.

The Aashram campus is huge, well maintained lawns, with lots of trees, a beautiful temple finds its place amidst all this divinity.

XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule-img_4238.jpg

XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule-img_4239.jpg

We first got to know about the Gajanan Baba Aashram at Tryambakeshwar during our earlier visit in the year 2009.

In true spirits, “Live to Drive” – driving at the bank of the rivers

XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule-img_4248.jpg

Wading through the waters in the banks of River Chandra Bhaga, Pandharpur. On the banks of River Chandra Bhaga, Pandharpur

XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule-img_4243.jpg

XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule-img_4252.jpg

My parents still in dilemma and discussing about taking a dip in the Chandrabhaga river. Finally, they were convinced that its not that often we can come to these places and hence my parents didn’t want to miss any opportunity to take a dip in the river. I remember them taking a dip in all the panch prayag in Uttaranchal (Devprayag, Rudraprayag, Karnaprayag, Nandaprayag and Vishnuprayag) during our trip from Delhi to Badrinath.

XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule-img_4266.jpg

“Pandari cha vasa Chandra Bhage snana” - Blessed are those who take a dip in Chandra Baga.

We both taking a dip & enjoying in the river Chandrabhaga at Pandharpur and cooling ourselves after this long drive from Delhi.

XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule-img_4274.jpg

A shining XUV after being cleansed in the waters of River Chandra Bhaga

XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule-img_4270.jpg
vittal is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2016, 09:00   #6
BHPian

Day 5

Summary of the day
  • Start time – 6:45 am at Pandharpur
  • Places visited – Kudala Sangama
  • Time of arrival at the destination – 9:00 pm at Bangalore
  • Total Distance travelled during the day – 600 km

Though we had an early start, we spent few hours at Kudala Sangama, taking a dip in the river and then having darshan of Sangameshwara.

The gateway to Kudala Sangama

XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule-img_4278.jpg

Kudala Sangama – The confluence of Krishna and Malaprabha rivers and hence the name sangama. The Sangameswara temple at Kudala Sangama seems to be built during 12th century in Chalukya style. My parents and I took a dip at the sangam. After having this welcome break & taking bath for the second time during the day, we proceeded to have darshan of Sangameswara (Shiva) at the temple.

XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule-img_4287.jpg

An old lady selling buttermilk “mooru” and this was a good drink to quench our thirst while having “puliyodarai” or tamarind rice. Felt rejuvenated, recharged and with a fresh feeling started our journey enroute to Bangalore.

What a divine thirst quench!! Curd seller in the temple premises, We had curd & masala chach.

XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule-img_4289.jpg

The statue of Basaveshwara at the junction – a point where we turn towards Kudala Sangama.

XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule-img_4280.jpg

We left Kudala Sangama after having lunch. We crossed Tumkur toll plaza at around 6:00pm. While driving towards Bangalore on the highway, we wanted to take the NICE ring road and my nephew was the navigator. At the junction (while the construction was ongoing), we missed the correct turning point and went up the bridge eventually going towards outer ring road and reaching hebbal. We face heavy traffic on this road and turning back was not easy. We went ahead and this added few hours to our drive back home after dropping my mil.
Old 20th July 2016, 09:02   #7
BHPian

Day 6

Summary of the Day

It was a rest day for us and took this opportunity to get my XUV for the 1st service. I had already spoken to the Mahindra authorized service center from Delhi and got the XUV serviced & delivered in the evening by 4pm.

I was a day to relax and to get ready for the next leg of this trip - travel to Navagraha Sthalams in & around Kumbakonam.
vittal is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2016, 09:08   #8
BHPian

Day 7

The start of our Navagraha temples of 9 planets trip from Bangalore.

Summary of the day
  • Start time – 5:00 am at Bangalore
  • Places visited – Virudhagireeswarar Temple, Virudachalam, Kumbakonam
  • Time of arrival at the destination – 2:30 pm at Kumbakonam
  • Total Distance travelled during the day – 400 km

With my elder sister - Early morning our stop for breakfast enroute from Bangalore toward our drive down-south for visiting navagraha temples. Stop over for a Yummy masala dosa breakfast - enroute Bangalore to Salem

XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule-img_4295.jpg

At Virudhachalam — at Viruthagireeswarar Temple.

XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule-img_4297.jpg

XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule-img_4297_001.jpg

Feeling really hot at noon time on the way to Kumbakonam – what a refreshing way to take a mini-bath!
Freshening up at a village irrigation source — in Tamil Nadu.

XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule-img_4297_011.jpg

There are different routes to go to Kumbakonam from Bangalore. One route is from Salem – Namakkal – Karur – Trichi – Thanjavur and the second route is from Salem - Virudhachalam. We took the 2nd route from Salem to Virudhachalam to Kumbakoham as my parents wanted to visit the temple and have the darshan of Sri Virudhagireeswarar Temple.

There are various routes or sequencing to cover the Navagrahas temples. The most popular route is based on geographical location. Many follow the astrological sequence to cover the 9 temples and some follow the starting point based on their nakshatra.

The cluster of 9 temples are collectively known as Navagrahas. Out of these 9 grahas, 7 of them are named after the planets in the solar system and their names corresponds with the names of the seven days of the week. The remaining 2 grahas are Rahu and Ketu.

The Navagraha temples Thiruvengadu, Vaitheeswarankovil, Kanjanoor, Thirunageswaram, Alangudi, Thirunallar are Shiva Sthalams (or Paadal Petra Sthalams numbers 065, 070, 090, 146, 215, 169 respectively).

It might take 3 to 4 days to cover all these temples. We took around 4 days to visit these 9 temples from Bangalore and we also visited few more temples nearby during this trip.

What are Paadal Petra Sthalams?
Each of the temples which are glorified in Tamil Tevaram hymns by Nayanmar Saints of the 7th through the 9th centuries AD are referred to as the Paadal Petra Sthalams or Shiva Sthalams.

Nayanmar Saints are referred to as the 63 devotees of Lord Shiva. Periya puranam talks in detail the life of these 63 devotees.
Old 20th July 2016, 09:32   #9
BHPian

Day 8 - 10

Summary of the Day 8
  • Places visited – Navagraha sthalams, Kumbakonam
  • Total Distance traveled during the day – 160 km

Summary of Day 9
  • Start time - 6:00 am from Kumbakonam
  • Places visited – Navagraha sthalams, Kumbakonam
  • Total Distance traveled during the day – 190 km

Summary of Day 10
  • Start time - 6:15 am from Porayar
  • Places visited – Chidambaram enroute to Bangalore
  • Total Distance traveled during the day – 430 km

1. Thiruvengadu - is the 65th Paadal Petra Shiva Sthalam & Navagraha parihara sthalam for the planet Lord Budhan or Mercury. The main deity of Shiva is a Swayambu lingam known as Swethyaranyeswarar
  2. Vaitheeswaran kovil - is the 70th Paadal Petra Shiva Sthalam & Navagraha parihara sthalam for the planet Lord Sevvai or Mars. The main deity of Shiva is considered to be the Divine Healer Vaidyanathar.
  3. Kanjanoor - is the 90th Paadal Petra Shiva Sthalam & Navagraha parihara sthalam for the planet Lord Sukran or Venus. The main deity of Shiva is known as Agneeswarar.
  4. Thirunageswaram - is the 146th Paadal Petra Shiva Sthalam & Navagraha parihara sthalam for the planet Lord Raahu. The main deity of Shiva is known as Thirunageswaram.
  5. Alangudi - is the 215th Paadal Petra Shiva Sthalam & Navagraha parihara sthalam for the planet Lord Guru or Jupiter. The main deity of Shiva is known as Aabathsahayeswarar.
  6. Thirunallar - is the 169th Paadal Petra Shiva Sthalam & Navagraha parihara sthalam for the planet Lord Shani or Saturn. The main deity of Shiva is known as Dharbaranyeswara.
  7. Suryanar temple (Sun)
  8. Chandran (Mon), Sri Kailasanathar temple, Thingaloor
  9. Kethu, Nagannathaswamy Temple, Keezhaperumpallam

At Navagraha Temple - Suryanar

XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule-img_4302.jpg

XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule-img_4308.jpg

Lotus Flowers for offerings — in Tamil Nadu.

XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule-img_4305.jpg

At Aadi Kumbeshwarar Temple

XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule-img_4317.jpg

A snap while we have a cup of coffee or the famous “Kumbakonam Degree Coffee” – as famously named after this town – the coffee made from milk with no added water.

Finally we had the famous kumbakonam degree coffee - dimag ki batti khul jaye

XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule-img_4310.jpg

XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule-img_4324.jpg

Koothanur Saraswathi – Students generally keep a pen or a book at the lotus feet of the Goddess and take it with blessings. The Goddess Saraswathi who blessed the Tamil Saint Ottakuthar is the legend behind this temple.

While returning back after having our darshan at Koothanur Saraswathi Temple, we realized on the way that the rear right wheel had a puncture. During this trip I didn’t have a portable compressor (though I bought it later while planning for Leh trip). My niece looking all excited that I will be changing the tyres in the night. While I am on the job, she is fully excited & busy taking photos and also showing me the mobile torch, making it all lit helping me to change the tyres.

While I fix the puncture, my father is busy managing the traffic, wearing the reflector jacket, to ensure there are no unforeseen vehicles on the road. This was the first & only puncture of the trip.

XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule-img_4334.jpg

Fixing the puncture at 8pm enroute Porayaar

XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule-img_4333.jpg

In action - after the stepney is replaced

XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule-img_4336.jpg

On the 3rd day of Navagraha trip we stayed with our relatives at Porayar. Though I am meeting them for the first time, I have heard a lot about them from my maternal grandmother. A very nice family and welcoming us on this visit. We could not spend much time with them as we had to visit other temples nearby in the evening. After having dinner at their place, I am sure my mother spent talking throughout the night.

We left from Porayar at 6:15 am and reached Bangalore at 4:00pm. On the way we visited Chidambaram – A Thillai Sthalam of Nataraja, representation of Lord Shiva as the cosmic dancer.

Chidambaram Nataraja temple has lots of significance, is one of the five Pancha Bootha Sthalams, the holiest Shiva temples each representing one of the five classical elements or the manifestation of the five elements - land, water, air, fire, and sky.

Chidambaram Nataraja temple is also one of the 275 Shiva Sthalams or Paadal Petra Sthalams.

Chidambaram temple is also one of the Divya Desam which refers to the 108 Lord Vishnu temples on which the Tamil Azwars sang the glory of Lord Vishnu. (Refer to my travelogue on 108 Divya Desams in Team-BHP http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ravelogue.html (108 Divya Desams: Vishnu Sthalams Travelogue))

Here is the list of five Pancha Bootha Sthalams and these temples are also part of 275 Shiva Sthalams or Paadal Petra Sthalams:
  1. Ekambareswarar Temple, Kanchipuram – Land (Paadal Petra Sthalam No.1)
  2. Arunachaleshwarar Temple, Thiruvannaamalai – Fire (Paadal Petra Sthalam No.54)
  3. Tiruvannaikkaval Jambukeswarar Temple, Trichy – Water (Paadal Petra Sthalam No.114)
  4. Thillai Nataraja Temple, Chidambaram – Sky (Paadal Petra Sthalam No.55)
  5. Srikalahasti Temple, Kalahasthi – Air (Paadal Petra Sthalam No.19)

Though we have visited the Pancha Bootha Sthalams few years ago alongwith our parents, Chidambaram is full of energy & quite vibrant. We try to visit this place whenever possible.

The mighty gopuram — at Nataraja Temple, Chidambaram.

XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule-img_4338.jpg

Travelogue Continues...
vittal is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2016, 15:39   #10
BHPian

Default Re: XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule

It must have been an outstanding experience in covering 6,600 Kms on an XUV with your immediate family. I would say such long travel journeys leave a lasting impact on the person, his relationships and his understanding of the entire country. Awesome travelogue and would love to hear if you visited any new places in 2015 and 2016 yet?
rdhawan15 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2016, 16:15   #11
BHPian

Default Re: XUV500 Travelogue: Delhi – Bangalore – Navagraha Sthalams – Ganapatipule

wonderful travelogue. waiting for more. how are the roads around the navagraha kshetrams? some say its bad, some say its fixed. whats your experience?
FuelInjector is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2016, 17:07   #12
BHPian

I am simply amazed about even the possibility of contemplating such an exercise, leave alone doing it. Big round of applause. Its incredible, actually. Did you face any issues in focusing or concentrating during the end of such long journeys. You are casually mentioning about reaching Karnataka and Bangalore from Delhi!
bsdbsd is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2016, 19:54   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhawan15 View Post
Awesome travelogue and would love to hear if you visited any new places in 2015 and 2016 yet?

Thanks for your views rdhawan15.

Very true, wifey is the first person who is always happy on such long drives - "no cooking at home" and I can binge on what I like !!

India is vast and there is so much to learn from each part of the country. We try to explore and visit the places as and when time permits. Our parents have also enjoyed travelling to such remote places and believe me it was not easy to convince my father to be on such long drives. It took a while starting from Delhi to Haridwar and then eventually to Vaishno Devi and then there was no turning back for them.

We have visited few places during 2015 & 2016. I have been lazy to write the travelogue for every trip. I am now inculcating a habit to share my experiences in Team-BHP. There is so much information in this forum and one gets overwhelmed going through it.

Here is my travelogue in Team-BHP
July-14: Spiti Valley

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ti-xuv500.html (Spiti Splendour - Delhi to Spiti in an XUV500)

Dec-15 / Jan-16: 108 Divya Desams: Vishnu Sthalams Travelogue

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ravelogue.html (108 Divya Desams: Vishnu Sthalams Travelogue)

May-15 – Have traveled from Delhi to Bangalore

Other travels in Karnataka & TamilNadu
vittal is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2016, 19:56   #14
BHPian

Good to know that you are a true roadie !!! I must say that you are becoming a sort of inspiration for me too.
rdhawan15 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2016, 21:44   #15
BHPian

Day 11

It was a rest day at Bangalore with the thought of driving back to Delhi. We had selected few places to visit enroute – the places that we have not visited earlier. So with full enthusiasm we work out on our logistics & plan for the remainder of the trip. For such long trips, the plan is purely based on the day that we reach back and any buffer days utilized / unutilized but not to hurry, cover the places as much as possible and provide comfort to our elderly parents. The objective is to enjoy the trip in their company and not tire them or to avoid falling sick.
vittal is offline   Reply With Quote