Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 8th August 2016, 12:49   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Tracing the Konkan Route in the Monsoon - 6 cars and 1,750 km of driving pleasure

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Missed it again this time :(
Thanks Avinash and you keep missing it . Hopefully some time again, Sooner!

Quote:
Couple of weeks delayed and you would have had more troubles due to rain than fun.
Exactly and like they say, everything happens for Good, may be this as well.

Quote:
The road specifically near the climb from Amar Hotel until the climb ends is risky. The heavy vehicles keep plying in all the lanes they want and smaller vehicles and cars continuously zig-zag in this stretch. It is very much possible to bump on another car in front of you if you did not understood their speed and movement. Same is the case with cars waiting to cross to other side of the road.
Exactly. A very risky affair to get to the other side with 6 cars. Not something I would want to try with anything more than 2 cars and risk everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Nice Parag, a well deserved 5 star travelogue Beautiful narration of the entire drive and it really makes me think, why I did not join this convoy.
Thanks Sunay. Happy that the flow helped with a virtual drive to most including my own convoy gang who said they felt like they drove again!

Quote:
Still I got an opportunity to drive with you during Karnataka MD. It is always a nice feeling to drive in the rains through the ghats which every driver looks forward to and not to forget with all necessary cautions in place.
It was a lovely drive last weekend too. Glad to have caught up with you and we were the smallest of the convoy for this drive, nevertheless we had awesome fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Super Travelogue, excellent eye for detail, superb pictures and you made readers like me "live" the journey with your narration and log, Thanks for sharing
Thanks NPV.

Quote:
Just wondering how you guys crossed the highway safely to get to the "Amar Dhaba". Is there an underpass below the highway at that junction ?
It is not really a "Dhaba" - This is a proper highway eatery . A much recommended location if you want to skip McD's at Kolhapur thats another 20 minutes ahead.

And to answer your question on how we crossed the highway - We Walked crossing the road. Much safer than doing that by car here.
paragsachania is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2016, 13:40   #32
BHPian

Default Re: Tracing the Konkan Route in the Monsoon - 6 cars and 1,750 km of driving pleasure

Excellent travelogue Parag with amazing pictures.. The roads look so inviting and I can only imagine the fun you guys must have had..
satan's_valet is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2016, 16:42   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Day 1: Bangalore Hubli Belgaum Chandgarh Amboli Sawantwadi Rajapur Hathkhambha Ratnagiri
One of the best travelogues I have come across. What a ride and beautiful photography too.

I agree to each of your drive rules. Must be there for every long drive. How did the Ertiga behave in the rains in terms of stability, braking and mileage?
pahwa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2016, 16:50   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahwa View Post
How did the Ertiga behave in the rains in terms of stability, braking and mileage?
Not the first time I have driven with a combination or rains & Ghats but the overall experience is completely satisfactory. It easily holds on to its lines due to the longer wheel base and with my tires upgraded to Michelin 205/60/R15, the grip levels and handling was even better.

Braking was crisp, thanks to the Pads that were changed 20,000 kms before (first one lasted till 82,000).

In terms of mileage, the overall FE was 18.5 KMPL for this entire trip and for the roads taken and the drive circuit, this was more than what we had accounted earlier.
paragsachania is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2016, 16:55   #35
BHPian

Nice travelogue, a perfect monsoon drive it seems.
Please post more pictures from the main event and friends around
Ddrive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2016, 17:17   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddrive View Post
Please post more pictures from the main event and friends around
Posted right here (Tracing the Konkan Route in the Monsoon - 6 cars and 1,750 km of driving pleasure).

Apart from this no pictures except the convoy drive from the main event itself.

The main ingredient of this Travelogue is the drive itself
paragsachania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2016, 17:25   #37
Senior - BHPian

Western ghats and monsoon is a captivating combination. Pics of cars in rain with greenary around is always good to see.

Parag: Great writeup and pics. Hope this travelogue motivates you for your Leh travelogue.

Last edited by mpksuhas : 8th August 2016 at 17:27.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2016, 17:27   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Parag: Great writeup and pics. Hope this travelogue motivates you for your Leh travelogue.
Thanks Suhas and you caught me red handed there !!!

I am now thinking there is no better effort than the starting effort. After that everything just happens and the Travelogue gets over.

Let me actually do that soon. A Leh Travelogue from a drive done 2 years back but still a very interesting drive that was.
paragsachania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2016, 18:12   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
After this drive, I am now thinking if I should retain the 205 Section tires for the Ertiga or replace them with 195 because the way it managed some fast corners was definitely confidence inspiring.
Yes, wider tires are really confidence inspiring. In my opinion, you should stick to the same size as you don't have any complaints against it . 195 might help to better your FE though.

Quote:
I simply missed about the FE part as I got carried away to write mostly about the drive!

How can we ever forget what each car delivered. I won't even talk about the Ciaz here. You just can't come close to that.
Very true. And now we can add Baleno petrol as well to this list

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Just wondering how you guys crossed the highway safely to get to the "Amar Dhaba". Is there an underpass below the highway at that junction ?
As mentioned by parag, we walked across the road and all you need is little bit of patience. While returning back from the hotel, for some of us it took few minutes to cross the road.
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2016, 19:48   #40
BHPian

Excellent and meticulously planned drive. Great to see your rules of the drive. It's quite a departure from Indian nature to follow rules. Waiting for your next with even longer distance. Good luck
behaln is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2016, 10:00   #41
BHPian

Wow!

Actually, I am a biiiit jealous!
Very nice drive and very nice writeup.
I am giving it a full deserved 5 stars.

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2016, 10:42   #42

A fantastic travelogue. Very well written. I throughly liked the rules documented. Are you guys planning anything for the upcoming long weekend ?

Rgds
Mohan
cache is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2016, 10:52   #43
BHPian

Great narration and beautiful photographs. I am kicking myself. Was at Mumbai for a week, having driven from Ahmedabad. Apart from one social function which lasted just one day, had the whole week free. Could have taken a monsoon ride down konkan.

Thanks for sharing.
earthian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2016, 12:40   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cache View Post
Are you guys planning anything for the upcoming long weekend ?
Rarest of the rare cases I head out anywhere on a long weekend. They are best enjoyed sitting at home .

Long weekends means traffic right from the first toll booth, to waiting for a table on a highway Hotel, spending on bloated hotel rentals due to "Seasonal Pricing" & more.

Drives like these are best enjoyed when rest of the crowd is at home.
paragsachania is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2016, 12:59   #45
BHPian

Lovely travelogue here Parag! Relived the drive to the MH MD! Fabulous photos as well!

Good convoy driving tips too. Would love to be a part of convoy some time with you guys!

That S-Cross incident was too close for comfort! And that guy with the blinkers on, what is he thinking? Saw that blinkers on approach all through out the ghats of MH. Is this specific to MH alone?
sswaroop is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote